Is your doctor clueless about keto?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
How do you talk to your doc about keto? I saw mine Monday and I kept telling her how I ate Ketogenic for 5 months and lost 30 lbs and she kept taking notes saying " Craig" " Jenny Craig" and I kept saying keto ...and then she turned it on me " oh. I heard Craig, Jenny Craig, what is Ketogenic? " I told her and she didn't comment much probably because she didn't know facts about it but in the end she said that I should go back on doing weight watchers. I've told her I did weight watchers 4 years ago and I lost 15 lbs but then I stopped, gained all back and I could never get into it again but on keto I lost 30 lbs and felt great but o have a hard time getting back on it also. So her take on all this was " get back on weight watchers" I asked why weight watchers and not keto? " her answer " well. Was keto a succes? No!" Well...weight watchers wasn't either Doctor! I'm so mad about the fact that she looked like she wasn't listening. I'm pissed with myself for not staying in keto all the way for not being " a succes". I wish she knew moe about keto. I wish she remembered I have a family history of diabetes. I don't know. I'm just ranting probably blaming everything on everyone, including me. I wish I could be like those people that get annoyed with me and say " well,if you are so unhappy about if why don't you lose all this weight? Just do it! " As in I complain to much instead of just work on it. I should.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My doctor has studied various weight loss methods herself, but never done a true safe low carb plan. However, she does advocate "lowering carbs." It was my endocrinologist who told me to do a LCHFMP dietary plan, start around 50 grams of carbs, and adjust up or down as needed. Well, I couldn't manage food cravings well at 50, and was usually lower, so I knocked down to keto levels (starting 20 - ongoing 30-50, but all good ones now...LOL).

You also might call it Nutritional Ketosis. Gives it a far more positive reaction. You could also say that you're cutting sugars, grains, processed foods, and focusing on whole foods. For whatever reason, doctors get that, even though it's the same thing in many ways! LOL

I'd look through the resources on our sister group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group if you aren't already there. The stickied post there has a ton of info... They cover all types of low carbing, not just ketosis...

And never hesitate to ask questions - it's how we learn. Then go back and educate your doctor, too!
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Endocrinologist! Was your thyroid wrong after your lab test? Because mine was fine in the past but she recommended me to see one. I'm not sure if I should wait for the lab or just go ahead and see the endo. I'm just thinking he might ask me why I'm there and I won't have any answer other than I'm obese and maybe you can help me. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Endocrinologist! Was your thyroid wrong after your lab test? Because mine was fine in the past but she recommended me to see one. I'm not sure if I should wait for the lab or just go ahead and see the endo. I'm just thinking he might ask me why I'm there and I won't have any answer other than I'm obese and maybe you can help me. :)

I am the world's biggest fan of my endocrinologist!!! PCP's do NOT know everything. They can't. They have to know a little about a lot. Take that referral and dance your way there. If you don't like the first endocrinologist, find a second one. I'm on my third, and he is worth his weight in GOLD!

Or Bacon!!!!

And yes, my thyroid was low (I'm hypothyroid). He was the one who figured out the insulin resistance, confirmed my PCOS, and half a dozen other things. He's not afraid to experiment or treat conditions, because with women, not everything makes sense!!

Make a list of your symptoms - every single one, no matter how small, no matter how recently or how long it's been there. Tell him you KNOW something is wrong, and you need him to be the detective to help you figure it out. :)
  • Astharteea
    Options
    You are at least awesome! Thanks ! I'll call one tomorrow. Can't wait to be right for once!!:))
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    You are at least awesome! Thanks ! I'll call one tomorrow. Can't wait to be right for once!!:))

I'm glad that my experiences can help. We have to take charge of our health, because know one knows us better than we do! Get in touch with your inner self. It will make so much difference, just listening to your body. I hope that you get some great advice and such.
  • KoriBeckner
    KoriBeckner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My Dr. Told me to do high fat low carb. That is how I discovered Keto. A family member said Keto is Atkins. But I don't think so.
    I need to ask my Dr. Next time I see him if he remembers I had my gallbladder removed.
    But, I'm not sure all DR's understand Keto just yet .
    He just said to do high fat, low carb. I chose Keto because of what he said and also because Keto is almost no sugar, and I'm trying to get rid of my chronic migraines.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I also have no gallbladder. I've been LCHF for 11 months, shed 80lb and have a huge change for the better in my recent blood tests. All of this with my Dr support. Go for it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My Dr. Told me to do high fat low carb. That is how I discovered Keto. A family member said Keto is Atkins. But I don't think so.
    I need to ask my Dr. Next time I see him if he remembers I had my gallbladder removed.
    But, I'm not sure all DR's understand Keto just yet .
    He just said to do high fat, low carb. I chose Keto because of what he said and also because Keto is almost no sugar, and I'm trying to get rid of my chronic migraines.

Atkins CAN be keto, but keto is not by nature Atkins. From what I remember, Atkins is protein first, fats second, carbs last. By having protein so much the focus, it can wear out your kidneys. Keto is High Fats, Moderate Proteins (just what's needed to maintain muscle mass/slowly build), and Low Carbs.

I had my gallbladder out in December 2000. I've had to add in some ACV lately to help with digestion (moderately, and only after eating some strange foods), but I went low carb January of last year, took the holidays off (BAD IDEA, if anyone is wondering), and have been back at it since mid-January this year...

I did not have any adjustments, as I'd been used to not having the gallbladder for so long, but some with it more recently removed have to adjust more slowly (can't just dive in) and may need to add things like bile salts or more acids. I find that I can't fast as long as others without ... bathroom drama/disaster pants, but it's a game of give and take to figure it all out.

My endocrinologist had me start out at 50 grams of carbs a day, and adjust up or down from there. I had to adjust down, because 50 grams a day was still triggering my cravings...

Some folks can lose at 100 grams of carbs a day, some at 50 grams, some at 20 grams, and still others have to go "zero-carb" "carnivore" "all-animal" to see progress. There are a lot of things to learn before just jumping in. Good luck whatever path you choose.