April Presses bring May Dresses

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I look forward to my deload since I know what I'm capable of lifting now, and I can focus more on reps and strengthening the area at more reps at a much lighter weight and really refocus on form.

this is going to sound weird, especially with all the complaining i've done. but assuming it's not catastrophic i do find some of this 'warning sign' injury has helped me with progressively correcting my form. when something is vulnerable and i still remember/feel it, the sensation actually gives me a guideline and a bit of instant feedback about when and how i begin to go wrong.

i'm not saying lift when you're hurt, of course. but it is what i've found when i go back to it once i AM fit to start trying again.

• canadianlbs
    trainer day bench/squats.

bench 72 and got 6 on amrap without much trouble.
    for squats i alternated front and back form with just the bar, since introducing the bar is the next step in my 'figure out how to squat without wrecking myself' campaign. i did idk how many sets of 5, and mr t said they were good. however, i was personally only about 50% happy with the feel of them. the tspine tweak is what i was waiting/testing/watching for and that seems so-far-so-good atm though, so there is that.

dimel deadlifts 8x65/75 warmup, 15x 100/100/100 for accessory. and then there was this fun challenge someone came up with where you take a bar and just hold it at arms' length in front of you, knuckles up. it's surprisingly deadly on the middle delts within only a dozen seconds or so.

but you know what? the guys all did it, starting with mr t, and were amazed by how hard it was. then i asked to try it and i AT LEAST matched all of their time. i think i went over it, actually, and i do not think i'm imagining the impressed/surprised noises they made.

i am strong. in some ways it seems like i'm stronger than you would know if you were just watching me lift. so i'm smirking right now.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Last gym session was Sunday night. I finally made it into the gym. Not quite ready for upper body as that takes a little longer for me to regain when dealing with a cold, so I attempted squats instead. I'm at the part in training where there are little to no accessories, which is kind of nice. I didn't hit the numbers on the prep plan but still happy that I got stuff done and it was good to know even receiving from a cold I was able to hit 200 for one rep.

Chapter 8: Squat

Squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 1x3 @ 185 and 1x1 @ 200
    185 and 200 were with belt

overload @ 280 for about 12 count though didn't step back after unracking cause wow was it heavy

Then just 35 minutes on the elliptical to watch food network.
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2016
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Hm.. I did my squats at home (yay) but they were awful form (boo). I need a mirror!

personally, i don't find the mirror helps me much. it's frontal-plane only, and if you turn sideways to it then you interfere with your 'real' form by turning your head to check yourself. i didn't realise this properly until i started doing one workout a week with my trainer, who doesn't believe in mirrors and doesn't have any. my other problem with real-time visual feedback is, if i'm watching myself do an actual rep, i've got too many other things to worry about. such as the fact i've got a big bar on my back and we're moving through space :smiley: it's like 'i see it, body. i just don't know what the heck you expect me to do about it right now.' so i knew for months that i was doing certain things, i just coulnd't keep myself from doing them.

for my work i just do by myself, webcamming has worked a lot better than mirrors for me. i do a small number of reps without taking my eyes off the house across the street (they probably think i'm nuts), and i focus entirely on how it actually feels to the individual muscles involved. then i replay and i can correlate the muscle sensations with what actually happened. i have a short attention span ;) so i only do about five reps before i check the clip. i'm getting really good at both seeing and feeling tiny subtleties i would never have noticed a few months ago.

but then i do a LOT of webcam time. it's my 'excuse' to not go to the gym because these days i kind of dread squats.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    I do enjoy Saturday morning at the gym.

Squats (with extra t-shirt, to protect my ever-so-sensitive skin!): 5x5 @ 65.5kg
    Bench: (back down to muscle-back vest, feels much better): 5x5 @ 31kg
    Row: 5x5 @ 16kg dumbbell
    Chin ups: 2x4
    Pull ups: um... two. Kind of.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Regular warmup, I was feeling unusually lazy about it for being a well-rested Saturday morning. Hm.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x75
    Row: 5x5x75
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Good morning everyone. Today I'll be taking it easy, and probably just do some walking around the track to keep the muscles in my back from getting too stiff. When I woke up this morning it was torture getting out of bed. I've taken the first dose of medicine, and I have 2 more to take, hopefully they'll get me feeling more normal.

By yesterday afternoon I felt pretty good, so hopefully I have the same results today.

Have fun lifting, everyone! I can't wait to get back into it. :)
  • melodiclyrics
    I look forward to my deload since I know what I'm capable of lifting now, and I can focus more on reps and strengthening the area at more reps at a much lighter weight and really refocus on form.

this is going to sound weird, especially with all the complaining i've done. but assuming it's not catastrophic i do find some of this 'warning sign' injury has helped me with progressively correcting my form. when something is vulnerable and i still remember/feel it, the sensation actually gives me a guideline and a bit of instant feedback about when and how i begin to go wrong.

i'm not saying lift when you're hurt, of course. but it is what i've found when i go back to it once i AM fit to start trying again.

Doesn't sound weird to me at all - I really think this injury will help me in the long run to be extra careful with form, and to not go too fast with the lifts. I knew I had been getting close to reaching my max with deads, and I think I should've just taken some time to work on form at a lighter weight instead of just slugging through to 145 and injuring myself. We live and learn. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    @melodiclyrics I hope your back get better super fast!!

I did SL A today. Most of my squats were better... they always are when I workout with my friend since she will tell me when I'm scooping up.

Squat 5x5 @ 90 lb
    Bench 5x5 @ 57.5 lb (lol finally got it right)
    Row 5x5 @ 70 lb
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    @melodiclyrics best of luck for your recovery, I hope it's a quick one and you're back to it soon.

Stronglifts A this morning, felt good after first game of netball yesterday.
    SQ: 3x5 at 30kg
    BP: 5,4,5,4,4 at 34.5kg
    BR: 5x5 at 37kg
  • canadianlbs
    I think I should've just taken some time to work on form at a lighter weight instead of just slugging through to 145 and injuring myself. We live and learn. :)

i've been into lifting for two years, and i'm kind of at a point where i count any 'injury' that's not catastrophic as a disguised blessing because yeah. it's not catastrophic and it is something i'll get to learn. my fingers are crossed for you.

i did sl a in wendler's week-2 format. minus the squats because i did squats yesterday. and because my workouts are now divided according to the shoes appropriate to them. flats day is dl and press. squat shoes day is for squats and bench press.

- ohp 5x30/30/40 for warmup. 3x45/50/55 for work. actually did 3 sets of 5 at the last weight, because apparently i can't just follow instructions.

- dl 5x70/80/90 warmup. 3x 95/110/120 for work. last set was more like singles but i did six of them, then took a little break and did 3 more. form got better and better as i went along, is why i kept doing them.

accessory: lat pulldowns and band pulls. front plank x 60/60 seconds, glute bridges without weight 2x20. post stretching, including spiderman steps and pigeon pose for glutes/hips. i kind of promised myself when i left that i'd put on my squat shoes when i got home and keep practicing, but somehow that promise hasn't been kept yet.

gym weight for me and my water bottle today: 136.7.

• 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    SL's today,

Squat: 45lbs - 2x5, 65lbs - 5x5

OHP 50lbs 5x5

Deadlift 100lbs 1x5

BB Curls 35lbs 2x8

Calf Raises 25lbs 3x15

Shrugs 2x25lb DB's 2x15
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Today's workout: 54 miles on the bike, with a cafe stop for soup and scones!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Yesterday was kind of an off day. Went to check weight since getting over cold and monthly cycle is at the very end (bit drawn out this month cause the worst days of the cold paused it for some reason, it was weird). Had weighed at 135 few days ago but yesterday the scale would not work at all. Though battery was dead but today it works. Kinda weird.

Did go to the gym last night. Had belt in car but forgot it and didn't want to go out the locked door thing and then back in. The one near my apartment was having issues and buzzing the entire time (probably buzzed all night as staff wasn't there and not sure anyone even goes in on Sundays).

Chapter 8: bench and deadlift

bench 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95, 1x1 @ 105 and 1x1 @ 115
    -this went pretty well, just feeling out cause upper strength is slow back after cold

deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 1x1 @ 230 and well that's all cause failed 240
    -tried to follow plan but couldn't get 2 @ 230 but tried 240 anyways. I was slow off the floor on 230, which was unusual too. 240 went a couple inches and no more.

Today think I'll just do a little cardio. Tomorrow I'm going to wear the singlet and try all three lifts, playing around with just the first attempts. Nothing more above that until the meet. Oh and scale at 11 am was at 131.8, so seems on track. Have to weight that Saturday at 5pm in underwear, so we'll see how it goes. Plus a little excited just to get scale to 131 as that will be 80 lost since started back in September 2014.
  • melodiclyrics
    Went to the gym today, I did lift a little, but I only did overheads and bicep barbell curls, and I way deloaded on the overheads.

OHP: 1x10 @ 20lbs, 5x5 @ 30lbs, it was important to me that I had excellent form and didn't over extend my back or anything.
    Curls: 4x10 @ 20lbs, not a big deal, but at least it was something.

I ended up walking the track again (I walked the track yesterday as well), and did around 6 or 7 laps (I'm crap at keeping count). One cool thing I did was actually run an entire lap! It didn't bother my back, so I just went for it to prove to myself that I could. So I ran a lap, walked a lap, and ran another lap. :grin:

Today I've only taken Ibuprofen for my back, and it's feeling okay. I still have muscle relaxers and some big-girl pain relievers if I need them, but I think I will take them closer to bed time.

@DawnEmbers Awesome lifts, and excellent job on the loss! I hope I can get that kind of loss too. :)
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Yesterday's SL work out
    Squat- 5x5- 90lbs
    OHP- 3/4/4/4/4 -55lbs( have to repeat that)
    DL- 1x5- 105lbs
    Overall slow progress, getting in the routine.
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    @DawnEmbers - nice consistent weight loss over 2 years, great job.
    @melodiclyrics - glad to see you are feeling better and back to workouts
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Great job everyone!
    Yesterday and today are my usual "official" rest days...I sometimes end up walking or whatever, but no planned workouts.
    Carry on :)
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    @melodiclyrics Great job doing something! Glad the ibruprofen is helping.
    @DawnEmbers that is an amazing loss! Good for you!

Over the weekend my only real exercise was a mountain bike ride Saturday. It was super intense and I feel like StrongLifts is already making me feel stronger overall. Possible? Probably not but I like the mental side effects.

Today's SLs:
    Squats - 5x5 @ 60lb (hard because quads are tired from bike ride)
    OHP - Failed again! 4/4/3/0/2 @ 45lb :( Not sure when I'll ever get this.
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 100lb

Today's weather is looking icky for cardio so hopefully I'll get a run in tomorrow. Happy Monday all!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Friday:
    Squat - 3x5 at 115 lbs
    Pull ups - 5,4,3
    OHP - 3x5 at 57.5 lbs
    DL - 1x5 at 155
    Row - 3x5 at 65
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 55
    Curl - 5,4,4 at 45 lbs
    Hanging knee raise - 3x10

Sunday - Completely ridiculous derby practice. Very challenging both on skates and off. I feel like I have been punched in the gut and ribs :P Short on people, so no break for scrimmage. And I got knocked on my a $$ due to me slacking on proper form and now I have a bruised tailbone. Oops. Won't make that mistake again any time soon!

Today - so tired!
    Squat - 3x5 at 115 lbs. Still hard. Will repeat once more, I think.
    Pull ups - 5,4,4
    BP - 3x5 at 72.5 lbs. Second set felt sloppy, but I think that was just laziness, not that it was too heavy. Third set felt good.
    Row - 3x5 at 72.5
    Shrug - 3x8 at 72.5. Didn't want to change the barbell. Need to start holding back on the weight here though. Getting meh on the form.
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 35 lbs. Ok. Need to get my hands on a ez curl bar.
    BB curl - 3x5 at 45 lbs. Barely.
    Good morning - 3x10 at 65 lbs. Meh. Could have been better I think.
    Hanging knee raise - 3x10
    Barbell Glute Bridge 10,8,8 at 95 lbs. First time trying these. Finally got a pool noodle to use as a bar pad. I like these better than hip thrusts. Less awkward balancing the bar. I need to get to 115 lbs though so I can roll the barbell over my legs.