Replies

• creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cheri
  • n0excuses4m3
    n0excuses4m3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello I was just diagnosed with thyroid nodules. my doc says it is normal, and it is because I am fat. so nothing will be done to help me. I have seen a naturalpath who has me on a bunch of stuff. my neck is swelling up, hard to breathe and I choke on food all the time. my hair is falling out, and I am completly exhausted. I have the cysts that could be cancerous, but being that I am "normal" they won't biopsy them. my blood work is normal so far as I can tell. I am interested in ANYTHING that you would have to help get me through the day.
    I am so glad to have this group here. we are not alone, as long as we do this walk together :)
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a second opinion! My biopsy was the direct result of a doctor feeling my neck and saying "huh." That's all there was to it. She felt one single lump and sent me straight in for a neck ultrasound. If you've already had that and they know where the nodules are, then the biopsy's the next step.
  • seebehindmyeyes
    Options
    Hi! I would say find a new doctor. You need to find an endocrinologist who will listen to you. I recently had a thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. This cancer DOES NOT show up in blood tests. Only in ultrasound guided needle biopsies. Find a doctor who wants to help you, who listens to you, who cares about you. Be your own advocate!
  • seebehindmyeyes
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kristin, I am a 30 year old 5th grade teacher. I've got a husband, a home, and a persian kitty. :) I have known about my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism since December of 2006. I had a fairly large nodule since then, probably 4 cm around the time we found it. I had 2 biopsies of that nodule with inconclusive results. After a few bad doctors, a move to a different state, I decided to change doctors again in April when I turned 30. My newest doctor is great. She listened to me, kept me on the liothyronine (T3) and put me on levothyroxine (T4). I asked her to do an ultrasound since I hadn't had one for many years. The ultrasound showed my nodule had grown to closer to 5cm and a new 1.4 cm nodule. After a biospy, I found out I have papillary thyroid cancer. A short 3 weeks later, I had a thyroidectomy on July 16, 2014. 4 lymph nodes were removed as well as my entire thyroid. No lymph node involvement. I had radioactive iodine treatment after 4 weeks off my thyroid meds, which was 4 weeks after surgery. My TSH level was 64.2! I was so hypothyroid, it was awful but necessary to be over TSH 30. Now I am back on my meds and struggling to regain my normal. My weight is slowly, slowly going back down. Slowly. Did I say slowly? :) I am trying to hop back in to MFP to get some motivation and hopefully my meds do their job and help me along the way to a healthier me. I know it will be a long journey, but I'm up for the challenge. I'll know if I'm cancer free when I go back for another scan in about 6 months. Here's hoping! Nice to meet everyone!
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kristin, I am a 30 year old 5th grade teacher. I've got a husband, a home, and a persian kitty. :) I have known about my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism since December of 2006. I had a fairly large nodule since then, probably 4 cm around the time we found it. I had 2 biopsies of that nodule with inconclusive results. After a few bad doctors, a move to a different state, I decided to change doctors again in April when I turned 30. My newest doctor is great. She listened to me, kept me on the liothyronine (T3) and put me on levothyroxine (T4). I asked her to do an ultrasound since I hadn't had one for many years. The ultrasound showed my nodule had grown to closer to 5cm and a new 1.4 cm nodule. After a biospy, I found out I have papillary thyroid cancer. A short 3 weeks later, I had a thyroidectomy on July 16, 2014. 4 lymph nodes were removed as well as my entire thyroid. No lymph node involvement. I had radioactive iodine treatment after 4 weeks off my thyroid meds, which was 4 weeks after surgery. My TSH level was 64.2! I was so hypothyroid, it was awful but necessary to be over TSH 30. Now I am back on my meds and struggling to regain my normal. My weight is slowly, slowly going back down. Slowly. Did I say slowly? :) I am trying to hop back in to MFP to get some motivation and hopefully my meds do their job and help me along the way to a healthier me. I know it will be a long journey, but I'm up for the challenge. I'll know if I'm cancer free when I go back for another scan in about 6 months. Here's hoping! Nice to meet everyone!

Hi Kristin! I seem to have taken a leave of absence from MFP, but am working at getting back to it! Welcome to the group!!!

• Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm a thyroid cancer (PTC) newbie. TT in December, just finished RAI last week. Started last week on thyroid replacement for the very first time. Up until a couple years ago I was pretty athletic. Lost over 100 pounds, ran marathons, etc... Lapsed and gained just about all of it back, just in time to be diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I anticipate a hard time trying to get it (some or all) back off. I love MFP, used it off an on for years. All this stress hasn't helped any I'm sure. Between family, work, grad school, and this stuff for sure. Anywho...wishing everyone here good luck and health!

Thanks, Steph

• MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Hi Steph! Welcome to the group. And welcome to post-thyroidectomy, post-RAI life. The really hard part's over. Now they just have to get your meds adjusted properly, and for me that took about a year. FR sent if you're interested.
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    HI Steph! Sorry you had to join the group :( Thyroid cancer really puts a kink in the chain of life and the things we want to get done. I'm 2.5 years out from surgery. Start out slow, one foot at a time. I maintained my post-surgery weight (which was on the wrong side of 200 that I wanted to be on) and then somehow last year I all of a sudden found an extra 40. UGH! So now I'm working on losing that extra 40 lbs so I can get to my post surgery weight and then work on losing that as well. There is a doctor (oncologist) who runs a facebook page called Thyroid Cancer Awareness and also the Thyca page/website are good as well. They recommend a low carb/low sugar diet to help combat the fatigue and the slow, creeping weight gain associated with our "new normal" as I've heard it put many times. Please feel free to send a FR and again, welcome to the group :)
  • catharineaf
    catharineaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody — another newb here!

Diagnosed Jan. 5/15, just had my TT on Jan 21 and started meds a couple days ago as we're taking the "wait and see" approach with regards to RAI.

I'd long suspected thyroid issues, as it's been difficult for me to lose or maintain weight for a long while, but TSH was always within range. Since having my daughter in April 2013 I had felt run down and continued gaining more and more weight, no matter how cleanly I ate or diligently I exercised. So now, after the papillary thyroid cancer diagnosis and a TT, I really just want to get ahead of this so that I don't gain any more than I already have.

I've begun the autoimmune protocol, so lots of veggies, fish and meats. I'll see how this goes!

Anything that's worked for anyone else here?
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! What has helped me is the constant tracking and exercise. I am post rai and throidectomy by two years. I am feeling great. I have a weight goal of forty more pounds, having lost thirteen so far. I have a follicular Huerthle cell Cancer which is currently under control. My docotor monitors my blood pretty regularly and is still adjusting me levo medicine. Since I still have weight to lose, monitoring will be a part of life for while.

Find yourself a good endocrinologist who listens to you and that will benefit you in the long run! Keep in touch and friend me if you like.
  • mustloseit4me2
    mustloseit4me2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Newbie here, to this group.

A little about me My name is Julie, I am 29 years old going to be 30 in March, I am a dog groomer, and a nature lover. I have 3 dogs, a cat, and a rat. My hubby and I have been together 10 years.

My diagnoses:
    A few years ago moved down to Texas and had a rapid weight gain was about 260 then jumped to 411 lbs by 2013, wasn't really sure why other than my job changed from very active (factory work) to little to no movement (call center). I was also going through a bad depression too so I attributed most of it to that but then I moved back to Michigan and things started to get better and I started monitoring my calorie intake and started a different more active career that helped me lose some of the weight I put on and I was down to 360s then I got a very bad cold and went to see the doctor, and he felt my neck and realized it wasn't a lymph node sticking out of my neck, like I thought they were just super swollen but it wasn't the case. He sent me to an endocrinologist who did a biopsy in December of 2014- Biopsy came back that it was cancer so they sent me for cat scans, and a second biopsy to see if it spread to my lymph nodes which I am very lucky it hadn't because my tumor was massive the biggest tumor my surgeon had seen it was 11 cm and all entwined in one of my vocal chords on the side of my thyroid. We finally did surgery on June 1st however he only was able to take half my thyroid out cause it ended up paralyzing my vocal chord in the process of surgery so he left half the thyroid in and would go back in later for another surgery -two months passed with little improvement to my speech and my vocal chord still wasn't full functioning so they decided to do the I-131 radiation to obliterate the other half of my thyroid, and hopefully destroy remaining cancer cells. My voice is back to normal now it still isn't great when singing but other than that not bad. I still get winded pretty easily though, if walking a lot or too fast. I am still awaiting my results on the I-131 treatment had that done on Oct. 13. I have gained a little bit of my weight back I am in 380s now but committed to getting back on track.

Also has anyone ever felt really dizzy from levothyroxine? Like extremely dizzy? I advised my endocrinologist of this and he just ignored me, and basically thought I was making it up .... but I read it could be a side effect of medicine, so wanted to know if anyone else experience it?
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Welcome to the group Julie. Sorry I"m so late in this, I've been very intermittent with my MFP account. Chalk it up to work and going to school on top of all the other duties we all do in a day lol. I also get dizzy from the levothyroxine. I'm now on name brand and it's still not any better. Don't let your doctor ignore you! Good luck with everything, you can do this. We can all do this!
  • lkrajain
    lkrajain Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Linda. I was diagnosed with papillary thyca (tall cell variant) in January 2001. I had a TT and 100 millicuries RAI in March 2001. We thought everything was fine - it wasn't and thankfully I found a new endo doctor that actually knew how to handle thyca.

After my first pregnancy, I had 5 neck dissections (about 1 a year for the next 5 years) and external beam (ext) radiation to my neck in 2010. I had another round of RAI of 150 in 2014 and it didn't work, so we knew for sure I was RAI resistant. The EXT worked on my neck, but it was too late as it spread to my lungs. We are watching them grow (which is pure stress) and I'm not sure what is next. There is no cure so I will likely go into clinical trials and maybe some type of radiation.

What I do know is that I am depressed and I let my weight problems get out of control. I try to stay positive for my kids (ages 10 and 11) but it's hard when you don't feel good all the time.

I have no friends to talk to (except for my husband) but I don't want to burden him with one more thing. I have to make this time work with the weight loss. Thanks for listening.
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    lkrajain wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Linda. I was diagnosed with papillary thyca (tall cell variant) in January 2001. I had a TT and 100 millicuries RAI in March 2001. We thought everything was fine - it wasn't and thankfully I found a new endo doctor that actually knew how to handle thyca.

After my first pregnancy, I had 5 neck dissections (about 1 a year for the next 5 years) and external beam (ext) radiation to my neck in 2010. I had another round of RAI of 150 in 2014 and it didn't work, so we knew for sure I was RAI resistant. The EXT worked on my neck, but it was too late as it spread to my lungs. We are watching them grow (which is pure stress) and I'm not sure what is next. There is no cure so I will likely go into clinical trials and maybe some type of radiation.

What I do know is that I am depressed and I let my weight problems get out of control. I try to stay positive for my kids (ages 10 and 11) but it's hard when you don't feel good all the time.

I have no friends to talk to (except for my husband) but I don't want to burden him with one more thing. I have to make this time work with the weight loss. Thanks for listening.

So absolutely sorry to hear this. It is hard for people to understand the struggle is real. If you need some additional support thyca.org and american cancer society have support groups almost everywhere. There is a facebook page called thyroid cancer awareness that is ran by an oncologist who also has had thyroid cancer. She was diagnosed about the same time I was (3 years ago). I've had 2 years of great scans and now a mass has been found in my scar tissue that needs to be removed in February. You NEED a support system of some sort. Don't get down on yourself, just take it one day at a time :)
  • lkrajain
    lkrajain Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Ditto. I'm here too lkrajain. You have certainly been through a lot more than I have, but there is one thing I can say and that's that even in the three short years since my first diagnosis, TT, and RAI there have been crazy leaps in the science. Keep positive, ask a thousand questions, and keep pushing those doctors.
  • urge2wander
    urge2wander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, my name is Katherine. I was diagnosed with thyca in February and had a tt in March. I'm suffering through the low-iodine diet at the moment. Really glad to find this group, hope everything is going well for you all!
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Hi! That diet is the worst. I've done it twice. I wish I had discovered Pinterest the first time, there are a ton of great recipes there. Keep us updated and I'll send a friend request if you're interested.
  • urge2wander
    urge2wander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! That diet is the worst. I've done it twice. I wish I had discovered Pinterest the first time, there are a ton of great recipes there. Keep us updated and I'll send a friend request if you're interested.

Accepted, thanks! I'll be sure to check out Pinterest. :smile: