Uh oh. Ditching the stevia.

Options
"Sucralose raises insulin by 20 percent, despite the fact that it contains no calories and no sugar. This insulin-raising effect has also been shown for other artificial sweeteners, including the "natural" sweetener stevia. Despite having a minimal effect on blood sugars, both aspartame and stevia raised insulin levels higher even than table sugar. Artificial sweeteners that raise insulin should be expected to be harmful, not beneficial. Artificial sweeteners may decrease calories and sugar, but not insulin. Yet it is insulin that drives weight gain and diabetes." --Dr. Jason Fung, The Obesity Code pg. 172

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    No way! That's crazy.
    So does this mean that Splenda has less of an effect on insulin than stevia does? Am I reading this correctly?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    So... speaking of raising insulin.

I've been allowing myself a splash of sugar free syrup in my coffee pretty regularly, since I'm not using powdered sweetener in my coffee. The past few days, I'm craving sugar so bad it's been a serious miracle that I haven't binged on sugary crap. I asked my husband to bring me a diet Dr Pepper today (aspartame) to hopefully nix this godawful sugar craving.

In addition to the sugar craving, all I can think about is food. It's completely taking over my brain, even though I'm not physically hungry.

Could this all be related?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    There are also studies out there that show stevia increases insulin sensitivity which is good. There is so much contradictory info out there it's actually hard to believe any of it. I doubt occasional use of any sweetener is anything that will cause detrimental effects to anyone's health.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I've been allowing myself a splash of sugar free syrup in my coffee pretty regularly, since I'm not using powdered sweetener in my coffee. The past few days, I'm craving sugar so bad it's been a serious miracle that I haven't binged on sugary crap. I asked my husband to bring me a diet Dr Pepper today (aspartame) to hopefully nix this godawful sugar craving.

In addition to the sugar craving, all I can think about is food. It's completely taking over my brain, even though I'm not physically hungry.

I think it's definitely related.
    Sweeteners do that to me too. I had to stop sweetening my coffee :(
    But, I got used to it in a few days.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I think it's definitely related.
    Sweeteners do that to me too. I had to stop sweetening my coffee :(
    But, I got used to it in a few days.

Shoot me now.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

It's probably related to where your are at in your cycle since hormones play a big role in cravings and yours are shifting right now.
    Has your intake of sugar free syrup changed recently? Didn't you recently increase your carb intake after advice from the nutritionist to add in more veggies? It's likely you are adjusting to that higher carb intake and your body is a little confused right now.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

It's probably related to where your are at in your cycle since hormones play a big role in cravings and yours are shifting right now.
    Has your intake of sugar free syrup changed recently? Didn't you recently increase your carb intake after advice from the nutritionist to add in more veggies? It's likely you are adjusting to that higher carb intake and your body is a little confused right now.

My sweetener intake has been pretty steady. I quit putting additional sweetener into my coffee and tea awhile back, and have been having no more than 2-3 drinks per day with artificial sweetener, whether that means 1 diet soda and 2 cups of coffee, or 3 cups of coffee and no soda, etc. I was using 10 - 20 packets a day, so I've majorly decreased, but haven't cut out completely.

I did bump over to net carbs in the past week. I suppose that, plus hormones, could be affecting things. Up until very recently, I haven't had an unmedicated cycle in years, so things are a little crazy for me this month. My body being confused makes a lot of sense. I suppose I'll know within a week or two, right?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Also, sorry for potentially hijacking this post. Lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and acesulfame K give me major sweet cravings, among other issues. Stevia and sucralose don't seem to. But TOM does give me either sweet cravings or makes me want to eat EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE. Every time. Which is why I ate a ship-load of nuts just now. :s le sigh...
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have not only read this before, I lived it. Although, the be fair, I think QUANTITY matters here too. A smidgen here or there may not be a big deal for many. I made this mistake of having A LOT one day (20ish servings range) and got thrown hard out of keto. I have no problem on days I just use 2-3 servings.

I also switched to Truvia since it is a combo of erythritol and stevia. (There are other brands with this combo, Truvia is just easier to find) Erythritol doesn't have the gylcemic issues, this helps reduce the amount of stevia, and both are natural.

I'd rather have a bit of natural stevia then any amount of artificial sweetener, so I don't plan to flat out avoid it. And as was pointed out above, there are some contradictory reports that stevia has some beneficial properties. (who knows?!) However, I know what I experienced first hand so that is all I need for convincing 'evidence'. :wink: Stevia in strict moderation only.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Being in a place where you can recognize the effects is huge! Sweeteners do just as much damage as sugar, imo! Maybe even worse for some of us!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't believe much, but Dr. Fung has quite a resume and research agenda behind him. That's an interesting post. THANKS!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was using aspartame in copious amounts, but switched to Truvia also because of the erythritol... but made a major mistake when i bought the baking mix of that product... it also has sugar! So, i screwed the pooch on that one, but can't drink unsweetened coffee :(

Quitting aspartame has really improved headaches and joint pain, too
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just finished that book. The stevia thing took me by surprise. I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just finished that book. The stevia thing took me by surprise. I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I just started the book a few days ago. It sure starts well. And yes, if it's too good to be true!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I read it cover to cover in 1 day, approximately 1 week after I had given up artificial sweeteners for April. They are gone for good now, but my Natural Calm magnesium has stevia in it - grrr. Just ordered something different without stevia....I don't want any unneccessary increases in insulin! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    I read it cover to cover in 1 day, approximately 1 week after I had given up artificial sweeteners for April. They are gone for good now, but my Natural Calm magnesium has stevia in it - grrr. Just ordered something different without stevia....I don't want any unneccessary increases in insulin! :smile:
    I want to read it cover to cover! I just need to find a chunk of time.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »

Exactly how I felt when I read it. I don't want any unnecessary impact on my insulin!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I wonder about xylitol. I bought a 5lb bag of that on Amazon way back in November when I started keto but haven't even opened it yet. Anyone know how it affects insulin? (I think I'm insulin resistant, formerly prediabetic, and definitely have PCOS.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I have not only read this before, I lived it. Although, the be fair, I think QUANTITY matters here too. A smidgen here or there may not be a big deal for many. I made this mistake of having A LOT one day (20ish servings range) and got thrown hard out of keto. I have no problem on days I just use 2-3 servings.

I also switched to Truvia since it is a combo of erythritol and stevia. (There are other brands with this combo, Truvia is just easier to find) Erythritol doesn't have the gylcemic issues, this helps reduce the amount of stevia, and both are natural.

I'd rather have a bit of natural stevia then any amount of artificial sweetener, so I don't plan to flat out avoid it. And as was pointed out above, there are some contradictory reports that stevia has some beneficial properties. (who knows?!) However, I know what I experienced first hand so that is all I need for convincing 'evidence'. :wink: Stevia in strict moderation only.

I agree that the dose makes the poison. I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) non-nutritive sweeteners cause an insulin response to some degree. I've read somewhere that just thinking about certain foods can cause an insulin response. So you can count that there WILL be an insulin response. The dose and the reaction will vary by substance and who is consuming it. People who are diabetic or have other metabolic issues are going to have a tougher time with them than some other folks. Or people who just happen to not tolerate them for some reason.

So if you just have it once or twice a day in small amounts in your coffee (MUST HAVE COFFEE :tongue: ) or tea, it wouldn't be as bad as: in coffee, plus in yogurt, plus in 2 diet sodas, plus about 3 sticks of gum, plus sugar-free jello. KWIM. That stuff builds up. And I don't know about anyone else, but that's a "sweet habit" in the making for me. The more very sweet we have, the more very sweet our bodies want. For some of us at least. I used to drink 1 or 2 diet sodas a day in the afternoon. It made me snacky/cravy, and it affected my UTI system in a bad way. I stopped drinking them, and I stopped endlessly craving sweets and having the UTI issue. I still have one on the very occasional. I just know that if I make it a habit again it's not going to be good.

I've never had any of these issues with the stevia, stevia/erythritol blend, stevia/monkfruit blend, or sucralose. Just the aspartame and ace K. But that's a YMMV.