Basic grocery list to start LCD

Options

Replies

• ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    ...wondering how people left off the holy grail...AVOCADOS!

I used to hate them until I started getting REALLY (perhaps overly?) into guacamole pre-LCHF. Now doing keto, I eat at least one full avocado daily, usually split up over the course of two means. Great in salads and wraps.

Thanks for the ideas :)
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Shop frequently so you are buying fresh. It may cost more up front, but you throw away less food....and in the long run, save $$.

A basic rule of thumb I try and follow is this: if you can kill it or grow it, you can eat it.

My menu today:

Breakfast: Almonds
    Lunch: Turkey breast and a whole avocado
    Snack: jerky
    Dinner: Taco salad (lettuce, ground beef, avocado, bell peppers, onions, cilantro, tomato, sour cream (don't each much dairy) and salsa.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    Shop frequently so you are buying fresh. It may cost more up front, but you throw away less food....and in the long run, save $$.

A basic rule of thumb I try and follow is this: if you can kill it or grow it, you can eat it.

My menu today:

Breakfast: Almonds
    Lunch: Turkey breast and a whole avocado
    Snack: jerky
    Dinner: Taco salad (lettuce, ground beef, avocado, bell peppers, onions, cilantro, tomato, sour cream (don't each much dairy) and salsa.

Great ideas :). Thank you
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

My next will be my first, I bought 1 awhile back but forgot all about it
    when I remembered it in the frig it didn't look like an avocado any more
    it looked more like someone's science project. :D

>:) or o:)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

My next will be my first, I bought 1 awhile back but forgot all about it
    when I remembered it in the frig it didn't look like an avocado any more
    it looked more like someone's science project. :D

>:) or o:)

Be sure to know how to tell when an avocado is ripe and ready to eat. It should be soft but not too mushy. If it is still hard and brighter green leave it out and wait for it to get a little softer and a darker brown color. The skin will also smooth out a little.

I made the mistake the very first time I made guacamole of trying to use 3 avocados that were not yet ripe. It took me about 3 hours to pit, scoop them out and "mash" them to the best of my ability. Still ended up having to throw it away because the chunks were just way too hard. Now I make guac in 5 minutes with the right avocados.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    If you split open an avocado and need to pack up half for another day, put a Vitamin C tablet in the bag with the avocado and it keeps it from browning. @Sunny_Bunny_ gave that tip out a while back and it works really well. Keeps better than squeezing lemon on it!

Will try this, I usually just wrap tightly in foil and I'll have a little bit a brown.
  • Treysar
    Treysar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Depends on your cooking level. I am a KISS generally.

I think it's better to keep it basic before venturing out on complicated recipes or specialty ingredients (unless you really enjoy cooking as a hobby).

Trader Joe's has pre-riced cauliflower (or you can rice your own, but again, I'm lazy). It's great for stirfrys or even a Spanish rice. Add your preferred meat, check Kirkor's link for best veggies to eat, watch the sugary sauces, and you are eating in minutes!

Eggs for daaaaaaaays!

Omg. I am so excited to tey the pre riced cauliflower!!

• ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    If you split open an avocado and need to pack up half for another day, put a Vitamin C tablet in the bag with the avocado and it keeps it from browning. @Sunny_Bunny_ gave that tip out a while back and it works really well. Keeps better than squeezing lemon on it!

Will try this, I usually just wrap tightly in foil and I'll have a little bit a brown.

It's kind of amazing how well it works!
    This one was refrigerated for a full day after being cut.
    tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the tips on avocados. Would "chewable" vitamin c tablets work? That's what my son uses :). Thanks :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I mostly stick to 2 departments in the grocery store: Meat, and Produce.

Meat: I usually buy what is on sale, but am very partial to chicken (who doesn't love chicken?!). Where I live, cheese is in the meat dept. and I have to go to the dairy dept. to get eggs, and to the frozen food dept. for some other ideas for meats. The only issue usually with frozen meat products (like Tyson, Banquet, etc.) is they have a lot of carbs in the breading. So it is important to avoid those. Otherwise, bacon, pork chops, steaks, hamburger, chicken, sausage, etc. comes from my store's meat dept.

Produce: I avoid high carb produce (fruits and starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, carrots) and instead go for lettuce, spinach, zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    I mostly stick to 2 departments in the grocery store: Meat, and Produce.

Meat: I usually buy what is on sale, but am very partial to chicken (who doesn't love chicken?!). Where I live, cheese is in the meat dept. and I have to go to the dairy dept. to get eggs, and to the frozen food dept. for some other ideas for meats. The only issue usually with frozen meat products (like Tyson, Banquet, etc.) is they have a lot of carbs in the breading. So it is important to avoid those. Otherwise, bacon, pork chops, steaks, hamburger, chicken, sausage, etc. comes from my store's meat dept.

Produce: I avoid high carb produce (fruits and starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, carrots) and instead go for lettuce, spinach, zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes.

Thank you :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the tips on avocados. Would "chewable" vitamin c tablets work? That's what my son uses :). Thanks :)

Probably but I haven't tried it that way. I have no idea if the dosage of the C matters at all. My tablet is a 1000mg.
    Another note, if you leave it for a day or less, the tablet is reusable but it gets soft and falls apart after a day and half usually.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

Probably but I haven't tried it that way. I have no idea if the dosage of the C matters at all. My tablet is a 1000mg.
    Another note, if you leave it for a day or less, the tablet is reusable but it gets soft and falls apart after a day and half usually.

I used a 250mg Vitamin C tablet and it worked just fine.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

I used a 250mg Vitamin C tablet and it worked just fine.

Thank you both :). I'm going to purchase and try an advocado tomorrow or Wednesday ... Wish me luck :). Lol
  • bowlerae
    edited April 2016
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

that is really amazing. Do you just place the avocado in a plastic sandwich page or are you wrapping it in foil or saran wrap? And can you reuse the same capsule?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

I bet this would work on the counter with your stored avocados, too, in general, to keep them fresh, wouldn't you logically guess???
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Heavy cream
    lettuce for wraps
    lunch meat
    cheese
    ground beef
    spaghetti squash/zucchini
    no sugar marinara
    eggs
    bacon
    sausage
    pepperoni
    pork or beef roast
    sour cream
    almond flour

@anylyn1 I got so crazy lazy, I looked up low carb homemade marinara sauce and now I'm doing it even quicker. I used to get extra sauce on everything, and now I'm barely dabbing it on.... The awesome one I found that was super quick you mix up, then cook it as you use it...

But what I do now is just use garlic salt, italian seasoning (loose herb mix), and a little parmesan. It's as awesome, and even lower carb than my previous go to. Any tomatoes you prefer...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

that is really amazing. Do you just place the avocado in a plastic sandwich page or are you wrapping it in foil or saran wrap? And can you reuse the same capsule?

I just put it in a sandwich bag. You can reuse the capsule until it gets all crumbly which seems to happen after it lives with the avocado for over a full day. I guess it absorbs moisture.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

I bet this would work on the counter with your stored avocados, too, in general, to keep them fresh, wouldn't you logically guess???

I think it would work to slow any kind of cell oxidation in any fruit or veg. Maybe meat too? Which is one of the things I seem to recall about it being so good for our bodies as well. :smile: This is just a visual experiment to be able to see how it prevents the oxidation and preserves the healthy cells of the avocado.
    Why I take 10,000mg a day.
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lol

Great Idea! I found out this week that if I brush the open avocado with a bit of olive oil that helps too (of course, whoops, CALORIES :) )

Hi all... I'm Jennifer Panicacci-- a sweet-aholic and mom of 2 grown boys-- Andrew and Paul. My husband has always been a paleo eater naturally and (of course) never gains a pound. Have just started Atkins a month ago and have lost 5 lbs. Unbelievable :)

I'm taking chromium to curb sweet cravings and eliminating all wheat/sugar.
    Would love some low-carb friends, if anyone would be interested in reading my bio? Thanks, @Dragonwolf for admitting me to the group :)