2016 MFP CLASSICS CHALLENGE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options
12346»

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I've seen that location (well - they all look the same after a while, be it Wakefield, Pontefract, Dewsbury, Nottingham, Northallerton or Middlesborough...) far too often over the past year or so... can people PLEASE not go and end up there again...

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dang Clive, what happened? Details of the crash? Any other riders or a motor vehicle involved? Sorry if you have said this elsewhere... hope you get mended up soon!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I've seen that location (well - they all look the same after a while, be it Wakefield, Pontefract, Dewsbury, Nottingham, Northallerton or Middlesborough...) far too often over the past year or so... can people PLEASE not go and end up there again...

Clive just proving he's a true cyclist, you don't qualify unless you've broken your clavicle at least once ....
  • TheBigYin
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    at least once ....

ahem... 3x ;)

(though, one was playing rugby...) but the other 2 qualify...

I just love the way that they put the "emergency call" button on the wall, 4 feet behind the bed, with the rails up on both sides, so there isn't a cat in hells chance of ever getting to it if you need to attract attention ... and then they wonder when you use your own "audible summoning device" ;)

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Dang Clive, what happened? Details of the crash? Any other riders or a motor vehicle involved? Sorry if you have said this elsewhere... hope you get mended up soon!

I was out with my local club; 5 of us in a line doing approx 25mph when some Lambs shot out from a field on the side of the road. The front rider saw them and gestured to slow down, but the message didn't get passed back quick enough & me (4th in line) & the lad at the back didn't have time to react & down we went; me, hard on my left shoulder & lad at the back on his head - spark-out unconscious. Literally 30 seconds later an Ambulance drove past in the opposite direction, stopped and started with the first aid... You couldn't have written it... The Lambs ran back into the field high-fiving each other as they ran I'm sure...
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

I was out with my local club; 5 of us in a line doing approx 25mph when some Lambs shot out from a field on the side of the road. The front rider saw them and gestured to slow down, but the message didn't get passed back quick enough & me (4th in line) & the lad at the back didn't have time to react & down we went; me, hard on my left shoulder & lad at the back on his head - spark-out unconscious. Literally 30 seconds later an Ambulance drove past in the opposite direction, stopped and started with the first aid... You couldn't have written it... The Lambs ran back into the field high-fiving each other as they ran I'm sure...

Dammit, man! Uugh, sorry to hear of the misfortune but great timing on the ambulance!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yikes! There are places here that are "free range" but it's not lambs, it's full-size cattle and the occasional elk. Heal well!
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lambs....as in Sheep?
    Where do you live...
    Also sorry to hear about the accident/injuries
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    Lambs....as in Sheep?
    Where do you live...
    Also sorry to hear about the accident/injuries

There's lots of the upland areas in Yorkshire where pretty much the only kind of farming that the land will support is sheep farming - the Sheep are basically free to roam all over the place "beyond the cattle grids" - a good portion of the first stage of the Tour De France was on these kind of roads... Up there however, locals KNOW that the sheep are basically a) very stupid and b) suicidal - they'll stand at the side of the road, and watch you coming towards them... then when you're 3 yards away, they bolt - but usually ACROSS your path... Difference is with what happened to Clive, is that the damned Lambs had got out from the field - fence/walls/gate in a poor state of repair, and ... well... that I said about Sheep goes double for Spring Lambs... Equally Sucidal, but probably even more Stupid than the Adults...

• TheBigYin
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Okay folks - Results Time...

Results for Liege Bastogne Liege

2akrig18dotb.jpg

g7e5expc3gw2.png

8149vber4gao.png

congratulations to the podium placed riders...

In third place it's Brett @Kupe with the first of our metric century+ rides this week at 101.8km

In second place Joshua @m1xm0d3 with his ride of 115.3km. Excellent Stuff.

and in first place, and his first top slot on the podium this year, its Aaron @cowbellsandcoffee with 121.1km and 725m of ascent... Excellent.

On to the "overall" leaderboard...

I've colour coded the podium positions as per usual, gold, silver, bronze - and we can see that overall the positions are as follows

In overall Third, after his good showing this week, is Brett @Kupe with 176 points

In overall Second, still hanging on in there, it's Me with 187 points...

And our overall leader is Jason @Jakess1971, with 205 points - picking up what may end up being an important decider at the end of the season.

Once again, can I thank you all for your participation in this challenge, and remind you that we now go on a summer break while the Grand Tour Challenges kick in...

And if you want to sign up for something fun for may, july and aug/sep, please feel free to have a look in the signup thread for the grand Tours...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376932/2016-mfp-grand-tour-challenge-signup-and-discussion-thread#latest

We're currently at 21 riders out of our full complement of 36, so NOW would be a good time to go and put your name down...

Anyhow, after that shameless bit of thread-pimping, i'll close for now with this...

As always - the full results are available via the logging spreadsheet -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USBZpOdSTdQu0Ia9K3Nh1nwot8aj1I7p8bxlfm_N9JE/edit?usp=sharing
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    just a timely reminder for those of you who are participating in the Classics Challenge - the "one off" summer semi-classic - Clásica de San Sebastián - is this Saturday. As per usual, rides on either Saturday or Sunday count, but you need to pick one and add it to the logging thread. I know, you've all been spoiled by the automagic stuff on the TdF Challenge, but that's the way it Is I'm afraid...

At least I've reminded you all...
  • TheBigYin
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Okay folks - Results Time...

Results for Clásica de San Sebastián

Foto-principal.png

km3x58r4li5d.png
    x53i9jyza0gf.png

congratulations to the podium placed riders...

In third place it's a returnee to the Classics Challenge, after missing the spring sessions, welcome back to Karan - @narak_lol with a strong ride of 78.3km

In second place, with the first of out metric Century+ rides, it's Joshua @m1xm0d3 with his ride of 132.5km. Excellent Stuff.

and in first place, with his second semi-classic victory of the year, its Graham @BigG59 with 137.2km.

Some great rides all round today folks - every one was over 50km, I guess that's the difference with riding in the Summer as opposed to early spring ;)

On to the "overall" leaderboard...

I've colour coded the podium positions as per usual, gold, silver, bronze - and we can see that overall the positions are as follows

In overall Third, after his good showing this week, is Brett @Kupe with 184 points

In overall Second, still hanging on in there, We have a tie on 190 points - me, and Graham @BigG59

And our overall leader is Jason @Jakess1971, with 215 points - a clear 25 points in the lead.

Once again, can I thank you all for your participation in this challenge, and remind you that we now retuern to our summer break while the final Grand Tour Challenge kicks in...

And if you want to sign up for something fun for may, july and aug/sep, please feel free to have a look in the signup thread for the grand Tours...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376932/2016-mfp-grand-tour-challenge-signup-and-discussion-thread#latest

We're currently taking names for LaVuelta rides - think we've got around 10 signed up at the moment - so "seats in all parts" are available and NOW would be a good time to go and put your name down...

Anyhow, after that shameless bit of thread-pimping, i'll close for now with this...

As always - the full results are available via the logging spreadsheet -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USBZpOdSTdQu0Ia9K3Nh1nwot8aj1I7p8bxlfm_N9JE/edit?usp=sharing

• TheBigYin
    Options
    late amendment folks...

following this discussion in the ride submissions thread...
    Is it too late to get my ride in from yesterday ? Strava was playing up big time transferring the data from the Garmin. Had to manually move the file across today.
    Is it too late to get my ride in from yesterday ? Strava was playing up big time transferring the data from the Garmin. Had to manually move the file across today.

ah, thought that there may be one or two people caught up in that problem - my ride was mangled as well...

drop it in there, and I'll add it retro-actively, extra points will count for overall, but I'll not be swapping the "announcements" if that's ok with everyone.
    Ah cheers for this. First time ever i do a 100 mile ride and it was also the London Ride 100 event and the Strava servers didn't update my records. I was gutted, if it wasn't on Strava did the ride even exist - I was worried :)

Details:
    31/07/2016 - Classica San Sabastian - 160.2km - 1,141m - https://www.strava.com/activities/660803074

the points will be adjusted in the spreadsheet to reflect Stewarts Ride. As I've already handed out the prizes and points, the points for 20 down to 2 will NOT be altered. Instead, Stewart will ALSO get 20 points for his ride. Seems fairest solution - as the delay in getting his data submitted wasn't his fault, there was a documented problem with the Strava Servers

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/223973787-Site-Issues-Sunday-July-31st

• TheBigYin
    edited August 2016
    Options
    okay, think that's all for now... enjoy LaVuelta, and we'll re-convene after for the final few installments...

• cloggsy71
    Options
    Top job (as usual) with the Classics Challenges. Sorry I had to miss a few due to the 'incident' with the Lambs etc.

The Winter Challenge is next... Bring it on :smiley:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay folks - slightly later than planned, here we go with the results for the Paris Tours, and the overall prize for the Classics Challenge 2016...

First of all - Paris Tours...

In third place, we have a newcomer to the 2016 challenge, joining in for the final ride of the season, we have @lbchilds2001, riding a creditable 105.4km

theres Clive @cloggsy71 with a very interesting looking 74.5km and 754m of Sustrans bashing between Whitby and Scarborough and back again. Thats a ride I think I'm going to have to investigate for myself, I have to say...

In second place, we have @jillyian - 106.8km, just squeaking in front of @lbchilds2001

and in first place, with a brilliant season closing 115.2km ride on the cyclocross bike, we have Clive @cloggsy71... that's one hell of a distance on a 'cross bike, especially if it had the offroad tyres on it...

Here's the individual standings for this event...

29631240733_114c54cf3e_o.pngParis_tours_result by The Big Yin, on Flickr

And, so to the overall competition. This was surprisingly open right up to the final event - indeed, the final podium was actually decided not just by the rides of the 3rd and 4th placed people, but by the ride of our newcomer...

So, as is traditional in these things, we'll go in reverse order.

In Third place, with 215 points overall, and a distance ridden of 954.3km we have @jillyian. Well Done Jill

In Second place, with 239 points overall, and a distance ridden of 1144.9km we have @Jakess1971 - Excellent work Jason

But our Overall winner with 243 points and a overall distance of 1331.2km we have @BigG59 Chapeau Graham, well deserved.

29630532454_7a7ffe84e6_b.jpgMFP Classics - Winners Borne 2016 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Detailed overall standings are here...

29631234953_bc3a905acf_o.pngClassics_Challenge_Final_Overall by The Big Yin, on Flickr

and as always, there's the google spreadsheet here if you want to delve into the data in more details...

• TheBigYin
    edited October 2016
    Options
    2016 Classics Challenge year end roundup

this weekends winning rides for Paris-Tours are as follows:

In third place, we have a new starter to the Classics Challenge - @lbchilds2001 with a strong opening (and season closing) ride of 105.4km

In second place, by a very close margin, theres @jillyian with 106.8km

and in first place, with a very commendable ride of 115.2km on his 'cross bike we have Clive @cloggsy71 - Congratulations Clive, for the win, and for a strong finish to the season, after your early campaign was interrupted by the "lamb incident"...

Here's the individual standings for this event...

29631240733_114c54cf3e_o.png

and, so, we move onto the overall winner of this season-long challenge... One of the things l like about this challenge is that it gives a chance for the people who only get to ride on a weekend to go out and show us what they're made of - of course the overall rewards consistency, just by showing up every race, you can pretty much get close to the podium (as you'll see later when I start the "podium ceremony") - but to win, you need to be out in the miserable weather of early spring, and riding a good few hours every time...

Anyway, here we go, the Overall Winners Podium of the 2016 Classics Challenge is as follows...

As is customary in these things, we'll go in reverse order, so...

In Third position, by the closest of margins, is Jill @jillyian with 215 points and 954.3km (narrowly shading me into 4th position (with the same points and 932.9km)) - over the duration of the competition she had 8 podiums (3G,2S,3B) and only missed 4 events of the 20.

In Second Position, with 239 points and 1144.9km's is Jason @jakess1971 - another close thing for first and second here, with only 4 points separating the top two riders over 20 rides. Jason spent quite a bit of time on the podium himself - again 8 podiums over the 20 rides, (6G,2S), and had 5 DNS's

And our Overall Winner, with 243 points and 1331.2km is Graham @BigG59 - this time with 10 podiums (3G,5S,2B) and again 4 DNS's. Congratulations Graham, you're a worthy winner of the challenge...

29630532454_7a7ffe84e6_c.jpg

full details of the overall standings are in the summary sheet below, or you can always check the google spreadsheet on

if you want full-on data geekery...

29631234953_f0be19a45e_b.jpg

Overall it was a ridiculously close run thing... indeed, if Jason had have ridden just 12.1km further on the final event, things would have been very different - he'd have won by 2 points, Graham would have been second, and I'd have sneaked onto the podium as third by two points instead of Jill... Bet you're regretting falling on you're *kitten* now Jason and not completing the Century you'd got planned...

Still - if's, buts, and maybe's aside, the fact that it was all quite so close means that I think I've got the formula right for the points, allowing it to maintain interest right to the end of the challenge... I also think that adding in the "semi-classics" has been something of a success, though I'm not entirely convinced by the "best ride of the weekend" aspect (even if I took advantage of that flexibility myself on a couple of occasions) - mainly because it means that people simply don't declare their rides until the monday morning, and unless you spend hours on Strava you don't know what you're riding against... Maybe that's something that We could address with the CycLeagues program for next season @jakess1971...

• cloggsy71
    Options
    ... and in first place, with a brilliant season closing 115.2km ride on the cyclocross bike, we have Clive @cloggsy71... that's one hell of a distance on a 'cross bike, especially if it had the offroad tyres on it...

I've got these fitted mate, so semi off-roaders... 'Light rough' if you will :lol:

k3grsc6u6k3p.jpg

As I said earlier; top job as usual. Hopefully you and Jase can cook up some sore of integration with the Cycleagues to save the nausea of manual logging...

Well done to the podium places and to everyone else who got involved - It wouldn't be the same without you!

Hopefully my pre-season riding will not be interrupted by injury this coming season & I will hopefully continue to build over the winter, with the help of the winter challenge???

Chapeau all ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    those look not too dissimilar to the Vittorias I run through the summer months, but they're just getting to be on the terrifying side of slippery on some of the adverse camber muddy paths I ride around at this point in the year...

File tread with edge knobblies is a good compromise for most of the sustrans stuff though, I agree - but as a few of my regular ones go through the woods or on heavily farm-vehicle used bridleways, theres just a bit too much "mud and roots" for them to cope with in anything much damper than "dust".

It'll not be long before they're replaced by road tyres and mudguards at this rate, with the MTB dragged back out for offroad duties, and the Dolan relegated to full-time indoors... always assuming I'm actually well enough to keep riding outdoors in the colder conditions (breathing issues rather than the ticker!)

Anyway - The challenge is pretty much over with until spring, so, guess it's time to un-sticky all the classics threads and make room in the announcements for anything interesting happening on the Winter Challenge front.