Show me your garden

Options

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Built and Planted 1/2 my water melon patch today... The Reds went in and one yellow went in, will add more tomorrow!

h7t2j50uaidr.jpg
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 I saw my first, tiny, itty bit floret of broccoli today!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 I saw my first, tiny, itty bit floret of broccoli today!

Oh wow that's awesome. I've been learning a lot from @ettaterrell and after some early failure I've got more seeds sprouting. I have about 7 now, I'm gonna redo my green beans and start some tomatoes tonight.

We are gonna get some lamps this weekend and set up an area for them to grow till they can go outside.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's going great! My tomatoes don't seem to be growing much just yet. I may take the easy way out and buy some bigger plants... lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Lol, you still have lots of time etta said you have to plant most of it underground and then it will develop stronger roots
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Yes burry tomatoes deep and cut off any limbs that are buried (except top ). Starts root system strong for them
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    My first try at pink eye purple hulls dspp0wkv8nvx.jpg
    kkkjmmjdeqbv.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Herbs and peppers planted last week... Giving this container gardening a try..
    2tnasy9fkze2.jpg
    oqev8w0rsp7z.jpg
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @ettaterrell wow that looks perfect. What kind of fence is that that's what I want to but I didn't see any at the garden store. Is it expensive
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Dismantling my beds to get them set up js6v9y5n6a5r.jpg
    Seedlings coming up
    zbev742s50d6.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I had bought a big thing of it 50$ at lows to built the trellis... And didn't even use 1/2 of it so got the idea to try a few feet here and there of different beans (the stakes used are just 7$ for a 6pack at lows too and used zip ties to hold together

3h9xl79iaee9.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I know ur excited!!!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I know ur excited!!!

Lol yes I am we are going to get lights and stuff today
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Forgot to put words with my photos. First to know - I have never in my life had a garden, so it may get wrecked by my inexperience. I am enjoying seeing the things pop up though. Right now I have carrots, spinach and lettuce planted - this weekend I'd like to get my tomatoes and cucumbers going. I have the herbs in a pot inside...so far the only one that seems to be failing is the cilantro. I cut it back to see if it will come back to life. If not, no big deal :). Oh, and the sprout picture is from a week or so ago - much more progress has happened since then!
  • ettaterrell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Forgot to put words with my photos. First to know - I have never in my life had a garden, so it may get wrecked by my inexperience. I am enjoying seeing the things pop up though. Right now I have carrots, spinach and lettuce planted - this weekend I'd like to get my tomatoes and cucumbers going. I have the herbs in a pot inside...so far the only one that seems to be failing is the cilantro. I cut it back to see if it will come back to life. If not, no big deal :). Oh, and the sprout picture is from a week or so ago - much more progress has happened since then!

Gardening is so fun and calming to me.. and watching things grow that you've cared for is so rewarding
    So congrats and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! One quick note from the pictures I see is the herbs are planted in one bucket... Basil alone is a very large plant and needs at least a 3 -5 galon bucket if ur not doing in the ground... Same with most herbs... Mint and Rosemary too get pretty big! I have grown mint before and it filled a 5 galon bucket... I am growing Rosemary this year for first time but what I've read so far has me thinking it will be going in the ground instead of a container... So you see having all those plants in just one container will be way over crowded. IMO... I'm just learning to but I read a lot...... So have learned a great deal about gardening and learn more every year.. Good luck!!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    My basil plant one year grew 3 to 4 ft tall! Lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »

Gardening is so fun and calming to me.. and watching things grow that you've cared for is so rewarding
    So congrats and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! One quick note from the pictures I see is the herbs are planted in one bucket... Basil alone is a very large plant and needs at least a 3 -5 galon bucket if ur not doing in the ground... Same with most herbs... Mint and Rosemary too get pretty big! I have grown mint before and it filled a 5 galon bucket... I am growing Rosemary this year for first time but what I've read so far has me thinking it will be going in the ground instead of a container... So you see having all those plants in just one container will be way over crowded. IMO... I'm just learning to but I read a lot...... So have learned a great deal about gardening and learn more every year.. Good luck!!

So, since I'm in an apartment, Miss @ettaterrell, and I don't have any windows that get good sunlight, but I do have a daylight lamp, do you have any pointers for how I could go about doing a countertop/indoors herb thing? Like not much bigger than a chia type thing? If I could grow my own fresh herbs, I could definitely use them more in my cooking and such... I'd love to do something...but I'd have no idea where to start... LOL
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I have a seed starting room set up in my spare bedroom that I can grow herbs from I think things like basil won't be able to grow inside or if u do just have 3- 5 gal buckets or containers for things like basil and Rosemary and get the shop lights from lowes... These florestent lights are perfect for starting seeds and I would think you might could pull it off, I'm just starting this year with thyme and I'm putting in a smaller container just to see if I can keep it cut back enough to bring in side when I need to and keep in smaller container threw out the year. I think you might be able to do Rosemary that way too if you keep it cut back..but have my doubts about basil.... Basil is a herb u have to keep cut back if u ever let it flower (what is called bolt) then the leafs flavor change and u need to just ditch it. It also depends on what hers your wanting to grow? And if u have room for enough lighting. bgwh36zqlzw3.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They have them so u can hang from roof and just buy extra chain to be able to raise and lower closer to plants.. I just had these old shoe racks in shed and they worked perfect for me lol And I use what ever to raise the plants closer to it..