Be careful with food selections on low carb/keto

Options
2»

Replies

• dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! I highly recommend a shot of the braggs apple cider vinegar every single day!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalized a couple of months ago due to kidney infection and sepsis. I wasn't sure if I could attribute it to keto but I was and have been extremely reluctant to this WOE again. However after a lot of thought I decided I'm willing to try it again after a few tweaks. I hope you're doing better. I realized that this way of eating requires a lot of conscious effort on my part. Moreso than my previous way of eating. But the benefits I reaped from eating keto are undeniable. Hoping I can be more focused this time.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had kidney stones three times, once when pregnant and never when eating low-carb. Some people are prone to them, my doctor fully supports my way of life, but I am not really "keto", more low carb with a focus on veggies, protein and healthy fats.
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalized a couple of months ago due to kidney infection and sepsis. I wasn't sure if I could attribute it to keto but I was and have been extremely reluctant to this WOE again. However after a lot of thought I decided I'm willing to try it again after a few tweaks. I hope you're doing better. I realized that this way of eating requires a lot of conscious effort on my part. Moreso than my previous way of eating. But the benefits I reaped from eating keto are undeniable. Hoping I can be more focused this time.

I think this WOE could be successful long term but you must tweak ever so carefully! I'm not sure I'm ready to just hope for the best when it comes to my kidneys. I've never had any major health problems aside from having a little weight to lose. I don't want to open the door to something that might go critical. Going to try losing the weight with healthy choices still, more or a variety of foods and 100 ish carbs daily. BEST of health and luck to everyone.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Going to try losing the weight with healthy choices still, more or a variety of foods and 100 ish carbs daily.

FWIW, I was around 100g/d carbs when I had my stone. But I was running daily, which lead to both ketosis and short-term dehydration. Stones are much more common during the warmer months when dehydration is more likely.

But you mentioned a kidney infection. That can be the result of a bladder infection, and the stones can be a consequence of the kidney infection.

It's hard to take any corrective action until you know the composition of your stones and get the urinalysis.