Can someone help me understand this

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    vansnyder wrote: »
    I have been looking and reading a bit, sorry if I missed the obvious. I was on low carb a couple of years ago and it worked well for me, for awhile. I think I started consuming way to many calories, thinking as long as carbs were low I was okay. Not really true, since I am a food junky.

Getting to my point, I just restarted a couple days ago, and am monitoring with MFP which is a great help, but what is considered a low enough level to be sure I am going to be in Ketosis. I am currently consuming about 20g of carbs per day, I need to lose about 15 lbs so when I get down about another 10 I want to move up to 50 - 100g per day.

Am I looking at the correct or at least close numbers to where I should be. I am a 65 yr old male and do not get the exercise I used to, fortunately my dog makes me walk a few times per day. I am trying to keep calories around the 1500 per day level.

As I said it has been awhile and not sure anymore do I really need to go 0 carbs for a few days or will <20 per day get me where I need to go.

Thanks for any answers I get and any help, please no flaming if I am way off, just let me know if I am and give me advice.

You don't need to go zero carb. If your long term plan is 50-100g a day, my opinion is to just do that from day one. The long term is only going to be maintained by creating a new normal. So rather than do something for a short time just to switch to something else later, seems counter productive to creating a new lifestyle that you can maintain from here on out.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have been looking and reading a bit, sorry if I missed the obvious. I was on low carb a couple of years ago and it worked well for me, for awhile. I think I started consuming way to many calories, thinking as long as carbs were low I was okay. Not really true, since I am a food junky.

Getting to my point, I just restarted a couple days ago, and am monitoring with MFP which is a great help, but what is considered a low enough level to be sure I am going to be in Ketosis. I am currently consuming about 20g of carbs per day, I need to lose about 15 lbs so when I get down about another 10 I want to move up to 50 - 100g per day.

Am I looking at the correct or at least close numbers to where I should be. I am a 65 yr old male and do not get the exercise I used to, fortunately my dog makes me walk a few times per day. I am trying to keep calories around the 1500 per day level.

As I said it has been awhile and not sure anymore do I really need to go 0 carbs for a few days or will <20 per day get me where I need to go.

Thanks for any answers I get and any help, please no flaming if I am way off, just let me know if I am and give me advice.

You don't need to go zero carb. If your long term plan is 50-100g a day, my opinion is to just do that from day one. The long term is only going to be maintained by creating a new normal. So rather than do something for a short time just to switch to something else later, seems counter productive to creating a new lifestyle that you can maintain from here on out.

^^^^ Exactly this. If it's not going to be sustainable, don't do it.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options

one of the best things about this thread is there is NO flaming. Another is the advice freely given by really smart members. :)

• CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 lbs to goal and, at this point, weigh loss is so very slow. Instead of 1-2 pounds a week, it's more like 1-2 pounds a month. Most weeks, there's no change at all.

I think there are two reasons why reaching goal weight triggers weight gain in some people. The obvious is dietary change. The other is muscle loss.

When I reach goal weight, I hope to start adding back into my diet foods like oatmeal. Still no sugar, but other "slow" carbs. Up to this point, I've had to be in ketosis to effectively lose weight. Like others, this might be my WOE forever. I'm totally ok with that.

I've also started lifting weights. Adding muscle may increase weight, but it will also change my shape and burn more calories in a resting state.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    So I am new to Keto... but I am not finding it hard to eat this way. My wife, who doesn't need to lose weight, (she thinks she does) is cooking keto. We are eating better... feel better... have more energy... and she is losing weight as well. She is now a few pounds from what she was when we got married.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is if/how to stay on keto and still enjoy a bevy on a Friday night. However, I am not going to worry about that until I hit my target weight later this summer.

It really depends!! I did a lot of reading a while back. From people's experience, once you've been in ketosis for a longer period of time (many months at minimum) it's a little harder to kick you out. Least for many. So they can go out every now and again. It also depends on how much you are weight lifting. Muscles will use up the carbs then. (One person who was really aiming for muscle mass would eat about 200 carbs a day once a week). Now I'd recommend fact checking me, but I think it'll end up doable. (:
  • raine291
    raine291 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That article for the biggest losers doesn't scare me. In fact, I'm not surprised they gained it back. Those extreme weight loss types of shows to me set people up for failure. Many of the contestants lose a ton of weight in such a short period of time. Even done in a healthy way, I think that much weight loss in a short period of time sets them up for failure. Secondly, they are losing weight on camera in a controlled environment, with celebrity trainers. They have meals made for them by specially trained chefs. When all of that is gone, they are left alone to keep themselves accountable. They did not learn how to lose weight and maintain in "real life" by themselves. They didn't have to work or deal with the daily stressors of life. They didn't go to a restaurant or to a birthday party. The best weight loss is slow and steady and not in some camp isolated from the rest of the world. It's no surprise to me they gain this weight back. I also don't think specific diets help maintenance. I think whatever works for the individual person that they can continue as a permanent lifestyle and not feel deprived. For me, that's low carb.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Mandycat sez:To be sure, Erma struggled with her weight during the era of nothing but lettuce leaves, cottage cheese and Diet Tab as a sustainable eating plan.

MORE important is during that generation, and because of President Esienhower's heart attack, and Dr. Ancel Keys' influence, the entire NATION went crazy over CVD worry…the US GOV stepped in to really muck up our "choices' for foods by forbidding 'fats' …and Esienhower died eating only Melba Toast…poor man...so If we can get away from bad advice we might have a chance.

As one nutrition author has said there are NO books on "maintenance' it isn't interesting to our "instant results" society. <like HCG "drops" +500 calorie diets...just crazy because ONLY the injectable form works on the human body, the drops are a sham.>

These Links show the TREND is to higher fats, less carbs:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-future-is-lower-carb-higher-fat <<<< *PDF Report Here

https://www.credit-suisse.com/us/en/articles/articles/news-and-expertise/2015/09/en/fat-the-new-health-paradigm.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2695030/I-wrong-feasting-FAT-says-The-Fast-Diet-author-DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY.html

*Credit Suisse has a 100+page amazing report on global fat and dietary changes, support for fats, etc. WORTH reading, a free PDF.