Unsupportive people

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
My husband is actually fairly supportive and has adopted a lot of the habits from this WOE - he has (mostly) stopped eating bread (although he has the odd wrap) and pasta, rice, potatoes (except Sunday roast) so all in all he *usually* makes life easier.
The problem is, when he wants to eat something 'naughty' he wants me to indulge with him and gets really bratty when I refuse.
It's interesting because I remember doing the same, as though it helps justify it if someone else does it too. I guess the same way an alcoholic will surround themselves with other drinkers, to normalise the behaviour (everyone else is doing it, it can't be that bad!).
So over this weekend I have caved a couple of times and eaten things that I haven't wanted to and it has affected my mood terribly. I feel low and irritable and tired. I notice so much more the effect of carbs on my body and mind and I really don't like the way they make me feel.
Does anyone else get 'pressure' from loved ones and how do you deal with it?!
I know a simple conversation should suffice but that only seems to work till the next time!!

Replies

• becwana
    Options
    Just to add he has also lost weight and feels good from cutting his carb intake. He has a very physical job so naturally keeps in shape better then I do. He goes into denial mode when I point out bad choices I don't want to be part of 'oh it's not that bad, it's not like we eat this all the time' etc etc..!!
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    have you seen this?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think you just need to not cave in and keep doing that so consistently that there's no point in him trying to convince you.
    How to do that? That is the challenge. I think sounding completely firm on the decision and following up with "it's fine if you want it, but I don't want it." Really stress that you just don't want it. Even if it's not exactly true. Even if you're feeling tempted and like you would like to cave in, don't let on at all. Just say "I'm not hungry and I also just don't want it so why would eat it just for the sake of eating?" Appear completely uninterested just as you would in your dogs food you just served to Fido. That way it's completely understandable that a person that isn't hungry and is also uninterested in that particular food wouldn't eat it just because someone asked them to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to not cave in and keep doing that so consistently that there's no point in him trying to convince you.
    How to do that? That is the challenge. I think sounding completely firm on the decision and following up with "it's fine if you want it, but I don't want it." Really stress that you just don't want it. Even if it's not exactly true. Even if you're feeling tempted and like you would like to cave in, don't let on at all. Just say "I'm not hungry and I also just don't want it so why would eat it just for the sake of eating?" Appear completely uninterested just as you would in your dogs food you just served to Fido. That way it's completely understandable that a person that isn't hungry and is also uninterested in that particular food wouldn't eat it just because someone asked them to.

So true! I am a celiac and would NEVER eat gluten intentionally. Ever. It would affect my health for days or weeks. I think of high carb foods the same way, as a health issue. I won't do that to myself... It helps that I started this woe partially for health reasons; perhaps that makes it easier to stick to it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't really care what I eat but he feels bad eating delicious carby food in front of me (he doesn't understand/believe me when I say it's ok and I don't want any).

One thing that helped a ton was asking for something low carb, like a chef salad, instead of saying I didn't want anything. That way he can enjoy his food without feeling guilty and I don't feel obliged to eat off plan if I'd prefer not to.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am mocked by my wife, she says I'm a carbophobe. She even put a potato in my bag when I went to stay a night at my parents. I was in another city going on a birthday do. Problem was I was so ill from gastroenteritis I didn't see the thing until I got home. She struggles with weight, and doesn't eat as much pasta, but isn't struck on the whole ketogenic diet.
    Btw, is woe way of eating?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, everyone's different.

Your spouse might not respond to, "I'll eat an elephant ear with you, if you'll eat a horse apple with me first."

But he might understand, "You know how some alcoholics can have a couple drinks, some ex-smokers can light up, and some diabetics can munch a stack of pancakes with maple syrup, powdered sugar, and a milk shake now and then -- but some can't?

"You're special. You can fall off the wagon and climb right back on again. But me? Nooooo, it takes me weeks to get over it! I've tried (oh! how I've tried!), but I'm afraid I'm just not one of the lucky ones.

"So now that you know, I'm sure you won't want to send me into a tailspin by telling me to eat......with you." <3<3 ( >:) )
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Husband is supportive. We all want to be inclusive with what we do, that is friendly, so it took a few no thanks and I will have a sparkling water with you. Then I learned enough to pick menu options like @AlabasterVerve. That helps him feel not judged and self conscious about his choices.

We can all act like infants at times and want others to take responsibility. Very hard to change that after many years in a relationship pattern! Thus this change is going to take months of repeated support to the other person that we are changing and we still accept them. Took us weeks to make our own acceptance that we needed to do it, so not unreasonable if others also take time. My mum context story below:

Mother, visiting, is in shock. She is co-dependent, lacks boundaries, needing reassurance and uses passive aggressive behaviours to get her own way. Very caring and thoughtful person too, but her tactics needed context: she physically can't eat a whole piece of cake but wants to have a try of some. I suggested leaving what she does not eat, but that is a waste of food so unacceptable. She wants to share, despite me having explained my food intollerance issues. I caved and thought I 'd act like I was eating it but just take a few micro bites. That was sufficient to get me sneezing and needing a 2 hour rest that afternoon. Now she does see a causal link and that hopefully help her understand thay it is not my problem to fix her "want cake but slice too big dilema".

Assertiveness (ie Amy Carroll youtube videos n book), boundaries, self acceptance (ie Brene Brown) topics for books are worth exploring. If that sounds like too much self reflection, a book called F*** Feelings is a good read (written to help people deal with life rather than think about it)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    He understands you two have different bodies with different capabilities to burn carbs.

So...

His justifications for occasional carb spiked won't work for you. Pointing that out to him may be helpful but nothing takes the place of standing firm and saying no.

I have had to get close to rude with people over diet choices. It gets down to respect. Once you make it emphatically clear, those food choices are bad for you, no doubt firmly stated, it is just disrespect at that point to try to push you there.

Some people take longer to get a clue.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    "I'm sure you won't want to send me into a tailspin by telling me to eat......with you." <3<3 ( >:) )

Keep it simple: "It's MY body!"

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it may seem to be about the food, but is really about the sharing and connection between people. Another theory is is what we call the " Eve theory of sin" . As in Eve offering to share the apple with Adam.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    Sometimes it may seem to be about the food, but is really about the sharing and connection between people. Another theory is is what we call the " Eve theory of sin" . As in Eve offering to share the apple with Adam.

Nailed!

A variant on the Eve theory is the Mary Jane doctrine:
    If we all smoke/inhale/ingest this thing, we'll all be little slugs instead of one of us being a giant sloth.
  • becwana
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »

This is very true - we do connect over food and a lot of our history together has been meals out/in/cooking and generally a shared love of food - it's hard to change patterns but I need to remind him also of the shared nights of seeing me doubled over in pain with indigestion - not sleeping because of the heartburn - waking up choking because of the acid reflux - not to mention the wind
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @becwana Hell, i would definitely mention the wind! What a brilliant case for change and what's in it for him :)
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great thread -- eating with someone is very social, and I try to put a variety of food out, and stick to my own food, and let the other person (mostly my husband) make his own choices. I gave up drinking a number of years ago, and my husband doesn't bring alcohol home, so that is hugely helpful. But it is harder with the food -- sometimes he does bring food home (rice with the low carb Indian take out dish, oranges (love them, but don't really work for me). Thank god he hasn't brought home ice cream for a long while -- hugely hard for me to have in the house. Bottom line, I try to keep the focus on how its nice to share a meal (and stick to my own boundaries with food, but not impose on anyone else).
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    Hubby has been very supportive about my choices. But just like everyone he forgets now and then and will put mashed potatoes on my plate when he makes dinner or will suggest menu options like pasta when we're out to dinner. I used to get mad that he couldn't remember what I thought was so simple but now I try to look at it as he's just thinking I might enjoy the taste, not trying to sabotage my WOE.