The Confessions/support thread

Options

Replies

• squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't have any treats around me. Yesterday I was at the park with my daughter and grandchildren, my daughter brought my granddaughter donut holes. Before I knew it I had one in my mouth?? Did I enjoy it ,,no. But I had to have it. Same as a small handful of bits and bites...I grabbed the bag and dipped my hand in. I cannot control myself yet. I did stop after that though. Asked myself what the heck am I doing,,,and went to play with the kids. No self control.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I have noticed that many of us post various food confessions from time to time (i.e. I just ate an entire bag of Oreos and now I hate myself). I know that personally it can be helpful if I say outload or in print my struggle. For one thing it is a distraction from whatever is concerning me and secondly the support of others is powerful.

I don't expect that everyone should suddenly drop everything to come support me, but just writing it out I find helpful.

I will start off. I adopted this WOE a little over six months ago. I've lost 70 lbs and feel great. However, recently I have had some "slippage" in my resolve. I'm not right off the rails but I'm struggling a bit. I have been eating too many nuts of late. Lots of peanuts and cashews. I know these are good choices from a carb perspective, but too many is not good. I'm eating them at night when I'm not hungry and for me this is a bad sign. It represents a slide back to bad habits. So, tonight I am NOT going eat any nuts and instead I'm confessing here my weakness. I'm going to try to re-commit and get back on plan. Hope you all are having a good keto-day. Cheers, Greg

Am I contagious?
    The saying, "It all started with the nuts..." came from me.
    Or at least I say it a lot. A large sigh usually follows. It helps though that my quite recent bout of food poisoning...well it began to manifest finally (food poisoning can take up to 72 hours to finally wreck us) after I had eaten a bunch of peanuts and cashews. I don't think I'm going to eat them again too soon. The lava burps tasted like them. :confounded: I'm sure I'll find something else to get in trouble with. rolleyes_2011.gif

daylitemag wrote: »
    @Sandee_Bee I think I have to stop buying them too. I find myself justifying it because I need more sodium in my diet and I try to buy the salties nuts I can find. LOL!

I'm actually pretty sure that I am some sort of addict who can't control what he eats. It's the only logical explanation for a lifetime bad eating decisions that seem to control me rather than the other way round.

There are definitely addictive personalities. My mother has one. And I do. I got rid of, mostly, the sweets (I seriously go into a fog where I see myself grabbing and stuffing stuff in my face, hiding the eating and wrappers--addictive behavior without a doubt), so then I use the nuts, if I manage to kick the nuts for a time, it's then the booze. I was addicted to social media, broke away, then I read free Kindle books until my eyes about fell out and my husband about ripped his hair out. Now I low-carb/nutrition/fitness obsess. At least with this last one, it has a positive side that spils over into my family. And I've instituted a NO books or screens after the kids go to bed, so hubby is happy.
    I do have a point. People like us need to find somewhere to channel our addiction tendencies that not only contains it, but makes it net a positive. I'm still working on the food part. I think that I'm working it out, though. It's a process. :blush:
    But the other part, I've got a handle on.

We have to figure out how to hack our brains so that it's not "the House" that always wins; it's US. You not buying the nuts at all, that's a brain hack. One of mine is that I pre-log my entire day the night before. I find I just follow the easy path right in my face. And then if I get "hungry" after I've eaten it all, then I chew gum. Gum in the mouth avoids hand-stuffing-food-in-the-mouth. Bedtime is a cup of stevia sweetened Sleepytime Tea or Cinnamon Apple Spice (brain thinks I've had a sweet). Once I'm in bed, I'm good. I'm not going to go downstairs and risk ridicule from the other-half to raid the kitchen. It takes being crafty and ruthless with ourselves, and being willing to try different strategies. Thinking outside the box will reward you with greater mastery of parts of yourself you thought were going to rule you forever. It takes time, and some failure then regrouping, but it's so worth it.

Humans are going to screw-up. It's what we do best. But it isn't the mistake that defines us, it's how we recover from it and what we do with the aftermath that makes us.

I am definitely a food addict. I smoked cigarettes from age 15 to 25. One day I decided to quit and I did, cold turkey, no smoking cessation aids, I've never had another cigarette to this day. Some days I wish I could quit food, quitting is easier than trying to moderate my behaviour. I went through a heavy drinking phase for a few years in my early 20's, but when I was done, it was no biggie, I never felt that urge and overwhelming drive to drink the way I do with food.

That's why this woe works well for me, I've basically quit carbs. I eat some, but my limits are so restrictive that it's easy to say no, I can't eat that.

However, my confession is 28 processed cheese crackers in two days for a whopping 40 carbs from wheat flour. I couldn't tell you when I had a flour product last. I'm usually at 15-25 net carbs most days and it's from veg and dairy products and broth, I don't touch grains as its a slippery slope for me.

I didn't feel well for a couple of days and hadn't eaten much other than some broth and scrambled eggs, so hunger was catching up to me. I still wasn't well and didn't have the energy to prepare a proper meal, so I resorted to a box of Gouda crackers I had recently purchased, topped with salami. 4 crackers in and I decided I needed 4 more, followed by 4 more. Shamefully I put them away and repeated the same process the next day until the whole box was done. Fortunately they only had 1.4 g carbs each, but the fact that they were low carb just made it easier for me to justify stuffing my face with them.

Thank goodness my blood sugar hasn't been impacted much. I've been walking a lot lately, so that probably helped. But those crackers are not allowed back in my house.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Right with you!! , except mine has been a box of Little Debbie peanut wafer bars...you know the ones? Like StephieWilcox said she did, I bought them for my husband....sure..... I did!! Did he get any of them...I think not! 'cause I was in there every night eating one... They came in singles...with white chocolate coating the springtime version.... I WILL NOT buy any more...for him .....lol 'cause he can't eat them fast enough to keep me out of them..
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    @vilenski193.... I can't have Pringles anywhere near me...or it's over!! : )
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been so incredibly happy with this WOE and have lost 18lbs since the end of March. Saturday was my BFF's bday BBQ and I did well until the coconut cake came out...so I had a small sliver and tried to move on. The next day she brought the rest of the cake over for my kids....but guess who got into the coconut frosting (yep, me)! So I finally tossed it in the trash. But last night I made cookies with my son...and after a long day of dealing with family stress I started in on the cookie dough...then proceeded to have a whole baked cookie! I finally just went to bed, disappointed that now it's been 3 days this week of caving in. Today's a new day, thanks for starting this!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say here. I am up & down & up & down. It's 10:30 a.m. and I've had almost 1,000 calories and who knows how many carbs. Pot luck at work, only 10' away from me. Why don't I give a *kitten*? So disgusted with myself and all I can think about is going back for more...

don't be disgusted with yourself. we are only human and lots of food tastes really good. try changing your mindset on how this works. it's not an all or nothing deprivation stage of life. this is your life, its going to be everyday, make the best choices you can most of the time. if you find yourself every single day going to stuff that is going to affect you reaching your goals, then that's a issue that needs working through. but one day of stuffing your face with things that taste yummy but you don't want to allow yourself to eat currently, is not going to ruin things.

I know in the beginning the first thought when we slip up is, why can't I do this, why am I sabotaging myself. but think about it, there are healthy fit people out there that eat cupcakes from time to time, they just don't live off them, then they get back to their healthy lifestyle. I think often times starting out we are so eager to change that its really all or nothing. I know I'm like that personally and its taken me years of success and failure to learn that I'm going to eat chocolate and ice cream and Italian bread, I am, there is no way around it. I will never stop eating that stuff (of course if it caused a reaction to me like this f'ing poison ivy did, then I'd never look at it again)

so I eat it, I still track, I'm not perfect, some days I don't want any crap others I do, and I work it in and have success regardless. maybe not as fast but I need it but its hopefully going to be sustainable for me in the long run.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @vilenski193.... I can't have Pringles anywhere near me...or it's over!! : )

cheddar sour cream baked lays for me. I used to buy them and portion them out into little baggies. now I just don't buy them unless I plan to eat the entire bag. oh and doritos, those are for special occasions lol. as a teen I ate one of the medium sized bags of those every single day.
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say here. I am up & down & up & down. It's 10:30 a.m. and I've had almost 1,000 calories and who knows how many carbs. Pot luck at work, only 10' away from me. Why don't I give a *kitten*? So disgusted with myself and all I can think about is going back for more...

don't be disgusted with yourself. we are only human and lots of food tastes really good. try changing your mindset on how this works. it's not an all or nothing deprivation stage of life. this is your life, its going to be everyday, make the best choices you can most of the time. if you find yourself every single day going to stuff that is going to affect you reaching your goals, then that's a issue that needs working through. but one day of stuffing your face with things that taste yummy but you don't want to allow yourself to eat currently, is not going to ruin things.

I know in the beginning the first thought when we slip up is, why can't I do this, why am I sabotaging myself. but think about it, there are healthy fit people out there that eat cupcakes from time to time, they just don't live off them, then they get back to their healthy lifestyle. I think often times starting out we are so eager to change that its really all or nothing. I know I'm like that personally and its taken me years of success and failure to learn that I'm going to eat chocolate and ice cream and Italian bread, I am, there is no way around it. I will never stop eating that stuff (of course if it caused a reaction to me like this f'ing poison ivy did, then I'd never look at it again)

so I eat it, I still track, I'm not perfect, some days I don't want any crap others I do, and I work it in and have success regardless. maybe not as fast but I need it but its hopefully going to be sustainable for me in the long run.

o:) Excellent - thank you!!!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @daylitemag Thanks for the reply! I'm really in the same boat as you. As soon as I cave once, the rest of the day is a major battle. I also seem to be a constant grazer. It's challenging to stay out of the kitchen. Moreso because I work from home, so I'm always like 50 feet from food LOL. I recognize that during periods of stress, I make many, many more trips to the kitchen for nibbles and bites. I do log what I eat, and I even weigh it, so that's good. I rarely go over my calorie goal, but the constant grazing makes me feel super out of control. I want to sit down to 3 square and a snack and be satisfied.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Quote...isn't working for me for some reason...probably operator error...

LOL @auntstephie321...yes, those are definitely off limits, too...well any kind of chip really.....since I am in a 12 step sorta' place while being recovering chipaholic.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even eating this way I can't seem to lose any weight. I have PCOS, an keto worked for me prior to getting pregnant and having my babies. I'm currently breastfeeding my twin 9 month old babies, and it's a struggle to keep up my milk supply going super low carb.
    I was literally crying last night because I was trying to cut calories (thinking that was my problem) but it I just can't. I literally get light headed by 6pm, after nursing, pumping , riding my bike to and from work. Also my milk supply took a tremendous hit. I just can't cut calories.

Yet I can't lose any weight. Even typing this I want to cry again.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    @peabean26 Love and hugs to you. You are doing an amazing thing, nourishing your babies. I recommend focusing on healthy eating, and cutting calories again later if that's what you feel is necessary. If you're lightheaded, your body is asking for more!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    peabean26 wrote: »
    Even eating this way I can't seem to lose any weight. I have PCOS, an keto worked for me prior to getting pregnant and having my babies. I'm currently breastfeeding my twin 9 month old babies, and it's a struggle to keep up my milk supply going super low carb.
    I was literally crying last night because I was trying to cut calories (thinking that was my problem) but it I just can't. I literally get light headed by 6pm, after nursing, pumping , riding my bike to and from work. Also my milk supply took a tremendous hit. I just can't cut calories.

Yet I can't lose any weight. Even typing this I want to cry again.

@peabean26 - if you are eating too few calories, you won't be able to lose weight either. That's a lot of calorie burn you're describing - plus a lot of electrolyte losses. Make sure you're getting enough sodium and magnesium, potassium in slightly lesser amounts - that's the light headed feeling.

Also, I would increase 500 calories once a week (so like if you eat 500 calories more tomorrow, keep that level until the next week, then increase again). Most of us have an upper and lower calorie threshold for losing weight. Keeping your milk up is more important than losing weight the wrong way (your body stealing your muscles to convert to energy because you're eating too little). Check the calculators, and make sure you're getting enough of everything you need.

(HUGS) Been there done that, with all but the twins and biking part...
  • peabean26
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss @Panda_Poptarts - Thank you for the support. I'm not sure what calculator you're referring to?

The only way I've been able to 'lose' anything this time with keto is to do an egg fast for 4-5 days. But that just isn't sustainable for my life! I cook for myself, my spouse, and my older kid so if I egg fast I have to cook 3 separate meals (my older kid is a vegetarian). When I started I was at 206, then I egg fasted and went down to 201 for a few days. I then started riding to and from work again (~20 minutes each way) and now my weight is holding steady at 207. WTF????

I'm really not sure how many calories breastfeeding uses every day. There is a mfp for it that says 500 calories, but maybe thats too high, since my boys also eat some solids?

Honestly, I'm super frustrated and feeling like I just don't have time for this. I was hoping to lose enough to fit into a certain pre-pregnancy dress for my cousin's wedding in August, but I've been keto for over a month and gained a pound. So, I just dont see how I'm gonna get to my goal (25lbs) by August.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    @peabean26 Have you only done this for a month? If so, please give it time. I went through 2 solid months of hating myself and whining and crying over my complete lack of weight loss (plus a 2lb gain). In those 2 months, I lost some inches... then I dropped 6lb all at once. Hang in there, if this is what makes you feel good. Things will balance out.

You may not meet your hard-and-fast weight loss goal for August, but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @baconslave lol "lava burps". I'm quite sure it wasn't funny for you, though.

Seriously. Birthday cake. Just did it- eyes wide open. I never go for store-bought stuff; don't know why I did this.
  • peabean26
    Options
    @peabean26 Have you only done this for a month? If so, please give it time. I went through 2 solid months of hating myself and whining and crying over my complete lack of weight loss (plus a 2lb gain). In those 2 months, I lost some inches... then I dropped 6lb all at once. Hang in there, if this is what makes you feel good. Things will balance out.

You may not meet your hard-and-fast weight loss goal for August, but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight.

Yes, I've been doing keto solid for about 1 month. I guess I just had such rapid results last time that I expected the same this time (post pregnancy). I also see many people lose a substantial amount in the first month, which is why I had the expectation that I would at least lose a few pounds.

Thank you for your encouragement!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @peabean26 http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ and http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ are the two calculators I like. Even though you have a good goal, make sure not to set your deficit aggressively either. Maybe half a pound to a pound a week. And it's more about losing inches, anyway, for a wedding, isn't it? You'll lose inches, likely, faster than pounds, so if you can fit into that dress without losing the 25 pounds, that will work, too, right?

It sounds like your body has other priorities right now. It's time to listen to our bodies, or we'll never make long term progress. I know it's counter to what you're wanting to do, but if you can get healthier while getting the whole family healthier, too, isn't that the bigger win?

And the 500 calories is kind of a default thing. For ONE baby. Feeding two, even not exclusively, since they're eating now, that's likely higher.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Yes, I've been doing keto solid for about 1 month. I guess I just had such rapid results last time that I expected the same this time (post pregnancy). I also see many people lose a substantial amount in the first month, which is why I had the expectation that I would at least lose a few pounds.

And honestly, I went off plan at the holidays, and came back on plan mid January. No rapid losses, etc. Once your body remembers something it's done before (like it probably did with your pregnancies), it goes through everything differently
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I had that expectation too. I was rather shattered when my body had other plans! The bigger picture is that I'm so much healthier. Even if my weight isn't decreasing as quickly as I'd like. Add in breastfeeding and your body may just be holding onto what you're giving it. I had trouble losing while nursing, too. It's going to be okay :)