Lost & Out of control

MrsDreamer1974
MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
Ok, so I am the type of person who is very organized and I like to know how to take control of things/situations. Well before my RNY I lost 100 lbs and I was so super in control of everything I ate or did to lose weight. I counted cal. Weighed everything and I KNEW what to do to get my weight down. Well since my RNY I have NO CLUE what to do with myself. Everything I did before to lose does NOT work now, over exercising actually stalls my weight loss (not always giving me less inch. either). I am so freaking out of control of my body and its driving me CRAZY. I will be in a stall for a week then BAM lose 3 lbs over night (yes good thing), or last week I gained 6 pounds in 3 days (talk about PANIC) thank GOD I lost it plus..But is anyone else having this issue? I don't even know what to eat anymore..and before my RNY I was a very strict Vegan...NOW my Dr. has me eating meat because I cant seem to get my protein in uggg. I guess I am just feeling a little lost and out of control today. Will I ever be able to figure this out??

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    My surgeon, Dr. Garth Davis, is a vegan and advocates it as a lifestyle even after surgery for many patients. He has a book called Proteinaholic.

I've opted not to become a vegetarian or vegan (because...bacon), but he is well researched and regarded and I have been very happy with my success in his program.

I don't count calories, but I do work with a few rules for myself:
    1- No more than 10 grams of sugar per serving.
    2- Excepting whole grains (Farro, brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, etc.), no more than 20 grams of total carbohydrates per serving.
    3- I weigh/measure things that I love but that I know I either can't restrain myself or are very calorie dense (nuts, peanut butter, etc.)
    4- I also measure out most of my meals to not exceed 1 cup total volume (dependent on density).

I eat a very vegetable heavy diet but far from vegetarian. One of my biggest challenges is getting off schedule with my eating; if I miss a meal or snack (scheduling, rather than not being hungry) , then I tend to have a hard time managing my hunger for the rest of the day. I also travel a lot for work.

I exercise 6-10 hours per week--running, biking, kettle bells, power yoga, elliptical. Keeping my activity and caloric intake in balance has been a challenge (my weight loss has paused several times in the next year) , but I decided that I will exercise for fitness and I will listen to my body about how much I need to eat. I still occasionally get derailed by boredom eating.

The fluctuations freaked me out too...but you have to take the long view and be honest with yourself! You know if you're doing the right things and you have to know that it will come.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    My surgeon, Dr. Garth Davis, is a vegan and advocates it as a lifestyle even after surgery for many patients. He has a book called Proteinaholic.

I've opted not to become a vegetarian or vegan (because...bacon), but he is well researched and regarded and I have been very happy with my success in his program.

I don't count calories, but I do work with a few rules for myself:
    1- No more than 10 grams of sugar per serving.
    2- Excepting whole grains (Farro, brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, etc.), no more than 20 grams of total carbohydrates per serving.
    3- I weigh/measure things that I love but that I know I either can't restrain myself or are very calorie dense (nuts, peanut butter, etc.)
    4- I also measure out most of my meals to not exceed 1 cup total volume (dependent on density).

I eat a very vegetable heavy diet but far from vegetarian. One of my biggest challenges is getting off schedule with my eating; if I miss a meal or snack (scheduling, rather than not being hungry) , then I tend to have a hard time managing my hunger for the rest of the day. I also travel a lot for work.

I exercise 6-10 hours per week--running, biking, kettle bells, power yoga, elliptical. Keeping my activity and caloric intake in balance has been a challenge (my weight loss has paused several times in the next year) , but I decided that I will exercise for fitness and I will listen to my body about how much I need to eat. I still occasionally get derailed by boredom eating.

The fluctuations freaked me out too...but you have to take the long view and be honest with yourself! You know if you're doing the right things and you have to know that it will come.

great advice i too have been stuck at not losing weight and can get frustrated but i know it's a journey...i think the hardest thing for me is getting in my protein and my veggies..i eat a salad almost every day which i found odd thinking i wouldnt be able to because it's roughage but i have no problem. and i think weighing your food is good i need to start...thanks
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    I am actually friends with Dr. Garth Davis on facebook and speak with him often, my biggest problem is that any protein shakes make me sick even the Vegan ones. I hardly eat any sugar at all and the shakes are to sweet. It's been so hard eating meat but as soon as I started eating it I started losing 2 lbs a day. It's just so crazy that I have no control over my body anymore, nothing I did before works now lol. My husband just tells me to do what my Nutritionist says and I will be fine. I thinks its letting go of my control and giving it to someone else that's killing me lol. This whole this Is a slow learning process for sure. It's things like this that they don't tell you in your classes or support groups.
  • BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Try and think of it in a way that you are out of control with your body, and that eating these newer/different things are what will help you regain the control that you crave? You still have control over when, how much, etc. Just brainstorming.

I haven't tried salad yet, I'm a little nervous to add more to my eating repertoire :)