Show me your garden

Options

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I am glad y'all are as excited about planting as I am! I don't have pictures yet but so far I have a lot of basil, German & lemon thyme, two big Rosemary plants, sage, pineapple sage, as well as Greek & Italian oregano for the herbs. My kids planted a dried avocado pit and dried cherry seeds..lol. They check them every day!!

Since normally I have the "thumb of death" I only plant herbs. However this year i bought 3 baby tomato plants. The purple Cherokee has matured beautifully and has some fairly large tomatoes already. The German queen has a few small fruits, and the pink brandywine has some flowers. We will see if I battle the squirrels. I put the basil near the tomatoes because I read the worms hate basil... Otherwise I have no clue and look forward to learning as I go!! :smile:

I'm trying brandywine this year too... Look for horn worms every day as a grown one can eat a tomato plant over night!!! Their horn doesn't sting but I've never been brave enough to grab with out glove to find out lol. They are very hard to find so look hard lol

My beans sprouted... After the first round rotted due to cold weather.

72r63c08sf53.jpg

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @ettaterrell oh yeah those look awesome. the farmers near me are getting their fields ready so we should be able to plant soon. I'm gonna start hardening my guys next week so hopefully plant the following weekend
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I know your excited!!! By the time I get back from vacation I will have to start my mid season seedings lol. Soo. Much fun!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ok you've all shamed me into sorting out my garden tomorrow! Not that I will plant anything, but strimming/mowing/weeding needs to be done first!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    gomloi73g30r.jpg

First harvesting of kale! Slathered in avocado oil and garlic and baking into kale chips.

820mh5wkp7o4.jpg

0b89bqutj7o9.jpg

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I know your excited!!! By the time I get back from vacation I will have to start my mid season seedings lol. Soo. Much fun!

Awe man I wish I could do mid season seedlings. I guess I could've with my winter squash I probably started them too early
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @pandapoptarts wow that is awesome
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Aren't my little cabbages pretty?? I can't wait for them to grow. Lol
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Last week's rhubarb flower stalk pull. Keeps the stalks tender no matter what size they get to. My DH is 5'10" to give you a bit of perspective. No time for other gardening, but I love to share in my dad's bounty (Italian garden of tomatoes and radicchio.)j2utd8tff8j4.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Aren't my little cabbages pretty?? I can't wait for them to grow. Lol

Looking great!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Update...

Here is garden, just started filling with topsoil (I got from previous garden ~ I'm relocating garden to get more sunlight): (the large compost pile in the upper right, is my neighbors compost, he is giving it all to me.) :smile: I have my other neighbor's tractor to scoop it up and transfer to my garden. The compost is about 4-6 years old, some of it on the upper 40% is not broken down as much as I would like, but the lower 60% is very nice, looks like dirt.

ggnlf3mi18qs.jpg

7f980vvd5gca.jpg

Ya know, I always wanted a fish pond next to my garden, OK lets get r done...

6vfapwx3tgu9.jpg

9' wide, 21' long, 3'2" deep:

u5xozxxbinf4.jpg

Then it rained and since this is the lowest spot on my property, it promptly filled up. :noway: :grumble: But that wasn't according to the plan! I have to drain it and install the liner.

smidc3daap0b.jpg

Here is close to the end of today. I have all dirt smoothed out and about 4"-6" of compost on top of dirt. Plenty of earthworms. Some of the compost is a little too coarse to plant in, so I'll use some potting soil on top of compost. Or I may screen/sift some of the more mature compost I have.

j0kfv4g1hw4n.jpg

• ettaterrell
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Update...

Here is garden, just started filling with topsoil (I got from previous garden ~ I'm relocating garden to get more sunlight): (the large compost pile in the upper right, is my neighbors compost, he is giving it all to me.) :smile: I have my other neighbor's tractor to scoop it up and transfer to my garden. The compost is about 4-6 years old, some of it on the upper 40% is not broken down as much as I would like, but the lower 60% is very nice, looks like dirt.

ggnlf3mi18qs.jpg

7f980vvd5gca.jpg

Ya know, I always wanted a fish pond next to my garden, OK lets get r done...

6vfapwx3tgu9.jpg

9' wide, 21' long, 3'2" deep:

u5xozxxbinf4.jpg

Then it rained and since this is the lowest spot on my property, it promptly filled up. :noway: :grumble: But that wasn't according to the plan! I have to drain it and install the liner.

smidc3daap0b.jpg

Here is close to the end of today. I have all dirt smoothed out and about 4"-6" of compost on top of dirt. Plenty of earthworms. Some of the compost is a little too coarse to plant in, so I'll use some potting soil on top of compost. Or I may screen/sift some of the more mature compost I have.

j0kfv4g1hw4n.jpg

Wow!!! Everything looks amazing and lucky you for having such great neighbors!! That garden is going to put out like crazy!

• auntstephie321
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @dittodan that is looking amazing. my goal for someday lol, very nice work.

I'm such a total nerd, I just called the topsoil farm to let them know i'll be there Saturday to get some soil. lol I'm so friggin excited!

eta: here's my babies on their first day outside #proudmama

lz1b6c1yxch0.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of buying a house and look forward to figuring out how to garden starting next year. Between now and then, I plan to research low carb gardening as much as possible. But the house I'm buying has 2 other things to consider:

1. There is a giant maple tree in the back yard that shades the entire yard and half of the house. I live in a small town of about 5K residents and I'm pretty sure it is the biggest maple tree in town. I haven't measured, but eye-balling, it is about 7-10 feet in diameter at the trunk. I don't want to destroy such a grand old tree. But also, as long as the tree is there, I can't grow much in the back yard because there is too much shade.
    2. There are moisture problems in the basement. There is a flower bed along the foundation on one side of the front of the house. That is one of the walls where water is seeping in. I would like to replace those flowers with vegetables that will help soak up lots of water. Fortunately, the tree doesn't shade that area.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @canadjineh I'm not sure how I would even measure diameter. I could take a measuring tape all the way around it for circumference with the help of a 2nd person. I'll try to remember to do that next month when I move in.
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @midwesterner85
    Wikipedia - and grab a friend, lol. and pi B)
    "The girth measurement is commonly taken by wrapping a Measuring tape (tape) around, and in the plane perpendicular to the axis of, the trunk, at the correct height. In spite of the apparent simplicity of wrapping a tape around a tree trunk at breast height, errors in this measurement are common. The most common error is mixing measurements of single trunk trees with those of multi-trunk trees and not distinguishing between the two. Even with single trunk trees irregular bumps and hollows are common. Some trees have low branches that split below breast height. Other trees have epicormic sprouts, suckers, or dead branches. Some tree trunks stand slanted at an angle rather than vertical. Girths of trees with these features may be measured by competing methods by different surveyors and result in differences. The basic guidelines for dealing with the above difficulties were developed by American Forests,[3] and most of the guideline used by other tree measuring groups around the world are based upon American Forests guidelines. The Native Tree Society measurement guidelines[1][2] also generally follow the American Forests prescription, with some additional elaborations. Many trees have burls bumps, and knots along their trunk. If these occur at the 4.5 feet girth measurement height, including them in the measurement would falsely inflate the girth measurement. The girth measurement should then be taken at the narrowest point below the odd growth and the height of the girth measurement noted. In some cases a girth taken just above the odd growth will be more representative of the actual girth of the tree. In these cases the measurement should be taken there and the height above the base of the tree noted."
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @canadjineh It isn't perfectly round, but I'll see if I can take some measurements next month and come up with a fair diameter. What I know is that it is enormous. I've attached a picture - the house is in the way, but you can see it sticking up from behind.

j20un8sohw5d.jpg
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Holy smokes!
    For multi trunk trees here's the site:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_girth_measurement
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh It isn't perfectly round, but I'll see if I can take some measurements next month and come up with a fair diameter. What I know is that it is enormous. I've attached a picture - the house is in the way, but you can see it sticking up from behind.

j20un8sohw5d.jpg

No sunlight, no garden.

Methinks you'll have to put garden in the front yard, can you do that?

Dan