A crazy theory, please read and give an polite opinion

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
So...I came to a conclusion that what kills us is too much and too diverse food. I once lived on 4 oz of chicken breast a day plus a couple of boiled eggs and maybe a yogurt. I might have had a small lettuce salad sometimes too. I cried and cried and had dreams about being part of a festum festival and wake up and just have a black coffee with an boiled egg and go about my day. Then dinner was coming and I was grilling 4 oz of chicken breast and making a lettuce salad from scratch. That until one day when I was washing it and this poor slug was trying to get away crawling on the side of the sink...and that was it as far as salad goes. Never again I made salad. So...the yogurts came a few weeks later and then a peach or two But that was pretty much my diet. It was thought in the first month or two...but by then I had no cravings. I was actually trying to remember how French fries taste and I couldn't but there was no craving. So then miraculous things started to happen My nails started growing, my hair got better...all thick and great. My skin cleared and I was feeling great. I, naturally, lost weight...unfortunately I can't remember numbers but I did lose everything I wanted plus more. But not once I felt sick. So, I honestly believe that 1200 calories a day minimum...is a sham. Somebody was saying in an article that this is the proper way of eating but no one will say it in the media because people will start becoming bulimics and anorexics ( like that's easy). Oh, after I lost all that weight by eating probably 500-600 calories a day, I didn't continue like that forever. I did started eating everything I wanted but not consecutive days or regularly. Whenever the situations and I still didn't gain weight. But then...I moved here and I wanted to get accustomed with foods and things and ...80 lbs later...my hair is *kitten*. My nails are *kitten*. And so many other things seem wrong. I got kicked out of forums and other platforms for talking about this but I do believe that eating so much less...it is so much healthier. I mean...do I really have to try the velvet cake crepes from IHOP ? Or the ramen bun burger from Red Robin? Or the stuffed crust pizza? Or whatever have you? No, I don't...but damn it!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you're looking for approval to eat that few calories? I don't believe a continued calorie count that low is healthy. Your body is not getting essential nutrients. LCHF is not a low calorie diet. The foods we eat are the best, full of fat and nutrients that the body needs. You say your hair and nails are suffering, as well they should when you aren't giving them what they need. Read everything you can about this way of eating, and educate yourself on what your body needs to achieve a healthy you! Best of luck!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @Astharteea - I think folks have different motivations and rules to keep them on track. Maybe you simply need the structure of restricting calories and food choices to feel like your diet is under control and you're in "the zone."

PS Nice photo!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agree with the folks above, of course. But, as others have said before, variety is an illusion. I eat mostly the same stuff every week. It's all stuff I like. But I eat eggs, cottage cheese, and sausage for breakfast, with the same 2 coffee variations, EVERY DAY. I eat a salad with about the same stuff in it EVERY DAY. Same snacks EVERY DAY. And I usually eat the same rotations of meals for supper EVERY WEEK. And if people are truthful, whether they are eating healthy or not, they do this same thing. I think that @Astharteea is right in that, convincing ourselves that we need lots of variety and that we need to try ALL THE THINGS, is just stinking-thinking that puts us in a bad mental place. As @Sunny_Bunny_ said:

"I believe your experience was likely more about what you were not eating than what you were eating..."

Not only were you eating too many calories eating ALL THE THINGS, they were mostly empty, and you weren't getting the micronutrients needed to sustain your hair and nails and skin. And in those calories were probably also lots of additives that upset your body. That worked together with the high carbs to screw your hormones to h3ll causing the weight gain and symptoms.

The key is:
    Get your mental game keyed in.
    Eat whole, nutrient dense, foods as much as possible. Real food. Not manufactured chemical soup food. They are made to make you want more. And aren't nourishing to the body.
    Don't eat too much. Eat slowly, undistracted, and stop when you're full.
    Watch them carbs. Because if carbs are too high, they screw up your hormonal balance, too.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    PS Nice photo!

:heart: KITTIES!!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think eating 500-600 calories a day as a diet is unhealthy unsustainable and dangerous. 1200 calories is set at the minimum because your body needs at least if not more than that just for basic bodily functions. Many people do actually develop eating disorders because they are trying to lose weight and gain an unhealthy amount of control desired over the foods they eat. I watched my younger sister do it all through high school. She was not healthier and though your hair seemed to get better etc, continuing on that path would result in your skin beginning dry and scaly your hair falling out, nails peeling, pale skin, sunken eyes, no energy, teeth falling out and god knows what else that can't be seen.

I don't believe we need tons of variety in our diets but we do need enough nutrient rich food to keep our bodies properly functioning.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have some autoimmune disorders and when they act up - meaning when I am sick - my hair falls out, my sick is not great, I am fatigued and I feel poorly... I am sick. If your health is suffering it could be due to WHAT you are eating rather than the amount... like the others said. A diet of noodles, soda, cereal and prepackaged meals will probably not be the best for your health. Many of us find that eating low carb leads to better health and easier weight loss at a slight caloric deficit.

Eating 500-600 calories per day is not sustainable even when eating a healthy low carb diet. Eventually you need to eat more or you'll die. It may be doable in the short term, but that on going level of fasting calories could do some damage in the long term by affecting your metabolism somewhat. IF appears to be a safer way to go. Pair that with LCHF and you'll lose weight in a healthier way.

BTW, I agree about not needing much variety. I get very little too. I eat beef, pork and some seafood, with some eggs, full fat dairy, coconut, nuts and a few low carb veggies (usually just spinach, celery, cucumber and snap peas). That's my life day in and day out. I have maybe two dozen ways of preparing those foods that I do over and over. I try a new recipe every month but it is still the same foods, just cooked differently.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The key is:
    • Get your mental game keyed in. ...
    • Don't eat too much. Eat slowly, undistracted, and stop when you're full.

! :o Eureka :o !

Untll I just read your post, I didn't think of eating slowly as being part of the mental game, but you're right of course.

Food (slowly-eaten) for thought!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Astharteea, Out of curiosity, how long did you follow this lower calorie plan? It sounds like a variation on an extended IF. If that's how your body reacted to it, for less than 6 months or something, I can see how you might have encountered temporary health gains, but the body isn't meant to do that forever. For small, semi-extended periods, perhaps. But as you saw, once you returned to a more extensive diet - without a game plan to prevent the regains, the weight comes back with a vengeance and typically brings a gaggle of friends with it. So much like induction on the Atkins diet, or something like the HCG diet, I would view this as a temporary kick start, but not a long term plan.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss It was probably for 3-4 months strict. After that I started eating fruit and regular food on and off. But I was never gaining weight. The weight come when my meals started being regular and consistent. Basically I noticed that I had to live like an irresponsible student on a limited budget that had only ketchup and mustard in the fridge. The minute my fridge looked like the one of an adult with food And regular dinner and lunch...I lost it. I think that my body will stay lean if I only eat crazy one day a week. Problem is... It is not easy going back to that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find I lose weight better with inconsistent meals too! If I eat the same every day my losses slow but if I eat 2000kcal one day and 1000kcal the next, of 5 meals one day and then 1 or 2 the next, my losses seem to be a bit better... Maintenance works better too. Lately I am more consistent, and at the high end of calories with more carbs, and the scale crept up a few pounds.

IF sounds like something that works for you. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Am I missing something here. From my understanding IF is still eating the appropriate amount of calories for your dietary needs, just eating it during a smaller window, and fasting the rest of the day. it is not eating 500-600 calories per day for 3-4 months?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    @baconslave or @Dragonwolf or @Sabine_Stroehm

Could one of you take a look at this. I am at work.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @auntstephie321 - If you're not missing something, then I must be....
    • If your goals are to eat 50 grams of carbs and 100 grams of protein, that's 150g x 4 calories/gram = 600 calories.
    • If you're on LCHF, then the remainder of your daily calories would come from fat, which could come either from external food sources or internal storage - either way, your body would be burning fat for its additional energy needs.

??
  • auntstephie321
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @auntstephie321 - If you're not missing something, then I must be....
    • If your goals are to eat 50 grams of carbs and 100 grams of protein, that's 150g x 4 calories/gram = 600 calories.
    • If you're on LCHF, then the remainder of your daily calories would come from fat, which could come either from external food sources or internal storage - either way, your body would be burning fat for its additional energy needs.

??

So you would then be eating only 600 calories per day? Then letting your body feed off itself for the remaining needs? For me that would be eating at a deficit of about 1300 calories per day.

• MandiCole1
    MandiCole1 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think that I'll keep on losing while eating 2000 calories a day WITHOUT eating IHOP, stuffed crust pizza, etc. Maybe you didn't gain an butt ton of weight because you ate MORE but actually because you ate more AND it was crap (AKA more carbage), like previous posters said. But I don't think that condoning 500-600 calories a day is right, or healthy long-term either.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @auntstephie321 - I think there are several variables that come into play, including your physical activity level, but once you've calculated your carb and protein targets accordingly, I'm not sure it matters where the fat you're burning comes from. But I may be completely confused.....

PS It does seem odd, though...
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would go insane eating the same stuff all the time, I need to change things about to keep it interesting, otherwise I would fail. Keeping under 15g of carbs a day is hard when I try and add some sort of veg once a day, but I manage to do it most of the time. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think keeping down under 1000 calories a day is good for anyone long term.