Sugar / Sweetner on low carb

Options
rachelbl72
rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
So if your going to have sugar which is the best, I'm struggling with eating Greek Fage yoghurt without any sweetness added, I add flaxseed to it too. I only want a taste of sugar but what's the best

Replies

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am new but u have found if I have artificial sweatner it makes me crave sugar all day! ! I will use 3 drops of pure maple syrup as a special treat
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No sugar or sweetner until I lost the weight.. Causing hunger all day for days it's not worth it to me... Why make dieting harder than it has to be? If you can go with out it for a week or 2 give it a try and then try just alittle one day and you will know what we are talking about..good luck!
  • rachelbl72
    rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Would I be cheating by chucking some raw coconut flakes into it or is that ok
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Raw coconut flakes add healthy fat and natural sweetness, too. A good choice!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I find a few drops of Sweet Leaf vanilla crème stevia is good in Greek yogurt. It doesn't cause cravings for me and it only takes about 2 drops for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some would disagree, but I have no qualms adding non-caloric sweeteners such as sucralose, saccharin, or aspartame. I've been consuming these substances for decades both when I was gaining and when I was losing. They haven't derailed my low carb woe, though others may have different results.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some would disagree, but I have no qualms adding non-caloric sweeteners such as sucralose, saccharin, or aspartame. I've been consuming these substances for decades both when I was gaining and when I was losing. They haven't derailed my low carb woe, though others may have different results.

I was using them, but apparently in excess, probably up to 30g of aspartame per day, which adds up to about 28 carbs. Turns out they are less than 1 carb but still have carbs. I wasn't logging them bc I thought they were 0 carbs.. Had long conversation with my dr and dietitian about this and have now decreased to maybe 10g of sweet n low which is about 9g of carbs. Since I made that chance I'm losing much faster. I found liquid Stevia once and now my store seems to be out of it. It wasn't sweet enough on its own but it helped me cut back on the other stuff.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am actually eating raw coconut flakes as I type. I eat difference brands but prefer Bob's Red Mill brand.

Having been off of sugar (the six carbon kinds) and all grains since Oct 2014 about a month ago my continued researching turned up a five carbon sugar that I am now eating daily. It is called many different names like Ribose, Beta-D-ribofuranose, D-ribosa, D-ribose, Ribosa.

care2.com/greenliving/lose-weight-with-sugar.html

drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/d-ribose

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17109576

smart-publications.com/articles/d-ribose-is-awesome-interview-with-dr-jacob-teitelbaum

These links range from fluff to science that can be a starting point of doing your own research on D-Ribose if you are interested.

I use the Nutricost brand of D-Ribose from Amazon where a 100 serving tub is $25. It all is sourced from one company I read.

While I am losing weight again I can not say it is due to the D-Ribose sugar. My appetite has really dropped but the summer can do that.

The same day I started on D-Ribose I also starte on Marine Phytoplankton powder (Nannochloropsis Gaditana to be specific) from MySuperfoods (Amazon) and NOW brand Nutrition Yeast Flakes (Amazon as well). These last two are to see if I can get off most of my 'bottled' mineral and vitamin supplements. My goal to fine best cost/benefit ratio that I can share with family that is nothing more than real food containing the vitamins and minerals for the most part needed for good health.

At this point in time I think using these last two items above plus a Vitamin D3/K2 capsule would may be a simple mostly nature way to better health for many.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Basically, I was told recently that anything in the "pink, blue, or yellow" packets, is known to punch holes in your gut, causing or worsening leaky gut. I don't know how absolutely true this is, as I haven't done my own research, but frankly, it scares the fire out of me enough not to tempt fate. May have to look into the ribose stuff, just for general knowledge. SweetLeaf Stevia Drops is doing fine for me currently.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've tried licorice root powder, as I find the tea sweet. I also tried a bit of us on syrup, and found it a bit triggering.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I alternate between xylitol and splenda in my coffee (the only thing I add sweetener to). I am trying to reduce the amount of sweetening I add because I want to get off the splenda completely, but can't tolerate xylitol in the amounts I need to reach my normal level of sweetness (I drink 4-6 cups of coffee a day).
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    @Knitormiss, where do you get those drops? My grocery store doesn't have them anymore. And where does one find xylitol?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @darlswife - I have a local grocer that orders them for me (well, they did, now they carry them standard), but amazon.com and many online places have them in abundance. The SW drops come in flavored and unflavored/just sweet versions and all manner of awesomeness. I'm not a huge fan of Erythritol or Xylitol. Both trigger cravings in me. With the drops, I can literally use the least amount possible to tolerate it. I work very hard to sweeten to tolerance, not taste, these days...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

I was using them, but apparently in excess, probably up to 30g of aspartame per day, which adds up to about 28 carbs. Turns out they are less than 1 carb but still have carbs. I wasn't logging them bc I thought they were 0 carbs.. Had long conversation with my dr and dietitian about this and have now decreased to maybe 10g of sweet n low which is about 9g of carbs. Since I made that chance I'm losing much faster. I found liquid Stevia once and now my store seems to be out of it. It wasn't sweet enough on its own but it helped me cut back on the other stuff.

I do not believe that. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have become very carb sensitive since eating low carb. If there was that many net carbs in these no calorie sweeteners, my BG would be jumping into 400's and beyond at times.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the French vanilla Stevia drops at my local health food store. They are a bit pricey but a few drops does the trick in my yogurt and so I think the bottle might last me forever! lol
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I thought the stevia (store brand) tasted too much like saccharine, with the aftertaste... but apparently, I was using too much, if it only takes 2 drops! lolol I was squeezing a stream into my coffee and yuck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That, @kmn118, and not all stevias are created equally! Some are very chemically tasting, but yes, you don't need much. Add to that that using more than one type of sweetener, so like stevia AND monkfruit, and they amplify each other, so you need even less!!!
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and erythritol!! The latter tastes and looks like sugar. It has listed carbs, but you can ignore them. It's a sugar alcohol that your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest. (So no spikes!) I use it when I have a sweet tooth and I can make baked goods, but not feel guilty.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    I use stevia and erythritol!! The latter tastes and looks like sugar. It has listed carbs, but you can ignore them. It's a sugar alcohol that your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest. (So no spikes!) I use it when I have a sweet tooth and I can make baked goods, but not feel guilty.

YMMV on sugar alcohols, which may not be similarly processed by a given person.

But erythritol does seem to be the best among Equals.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My experience with splenda/sucralose last year was eye opening! After six months without any I began to add some sugar free caramel syrup to my coffee. No cravings, just inflammation! I gained a total of 22 pounds in three weeks, before I finally poured it down the drain. Once I did it took s several weeks to reverse the effects, and get to new weight loss. I tried stevia, but didn't like it. I just avoid them all.