Simple ways to increase fat?

Options
Adelia979
Adelia979 Posts: 31 Member
I feel like I'm going to turn into an avocado if I eat any more avocados to keep enough fat in my day. Does anyone have any simple ways/tips for adding in fat without just getting it from a couple of foods?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Cook everything in butter, coconut oil, olive oil, or bacon grease.

Choose dark meat chicken with the skin on.

Nuts are a good way to get in days.

Make egg salad with mayo.

I'm going on the premise that you eat meat, so if you don't - then coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts still apply.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Butter
    Coconut oil
    Avocado oil
    Bacon
    Homemade broth
    Fatty meats (tongue is 70% fat, prime rib is very fatty, sausages, full-fat ground beef)
    Cheese

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to add fat because you're feeling hungry?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of meat, especially fatty cuts. Eat chicken with the skin on and fish with the skin on. Scramble eggs but beat in some HWC before cooking. Cook everything in butter, lard or bacon fat. Eat lots of seeds and nuts. Eat cheese or melt some over any kind of meat or vegetable dish. Make cream sauces and again use over any kind of meat or vegetable dish. Use olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, sour cream, heavy whipping cream (HWC).
  • Adelia979
    Options

Oh yeah. There are some days that I'm totally fine and can get away with just drinking water to fill up, but other days I feel like I'm starving to death. My boss says I get "hangry." Lol
  • Adelia979
    Options
    I'm going on the premise that you eat meat, so if you don't - then coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts still apply.

I definitely am a meat eater. All the meats. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Adelia979 wrote: »

Oh yeah. There are some days that I'm totally fine and can get away with just drinking water to fill up, but other days I feel like I'm starving to death. My boss says I get "hangry." Lol

Just checking. It's common thinking that we need to eat certain amounts of fat even beyond hunger on here. Lots of confusing info out there...
    I think all the suggestions above sound great.
    I personally start my day with coconut oil in my coffee. I find it to be a satisfying breakfast and I can go from that at around 6:30am until about 2:30 or 3pm before getting hungry again.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of olive oil straight up! Its really not that bad...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jaymo602 wrote: »
    Tablespoon of olive oil straight up! Its really not that bad...

I do that too. Love the pepper-y taste of high quality olive oil.

I also often put olive oil and ACV into the avocado hole. Salt and pepper to taste. Vinegar dressing takes 30 secs to make and is sooo versatile.

To OP, choose fattier cuts of meats. Chicken thighs are not only tastier, but also don't dry out as fast as breasts = more forgiving when cooking. Slow cooked meats like pork shoulder or knuckles in a crock pot. 2in1 cause you get bone broth as well :)
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just discovered Oberto Bacon Jerky in 50 gr bags. A wonderful fat bomb.

50gr.
    240 calories.
    16gr fat.
    55mg cholesterol.
    1190mg sodium.
    3gr carbs. (3gr sugar).
    20gr protein
    Gluten free.

I'm going to try to make it myself because I can't always find it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I personally start my day with coconut oil in my coffee. I find it to be a satisfying breakfast and I can go from that at around 6:30am until about 2:30 or 3pm before getting hungry again.

I personally can't stand the taste of coconut oil in my coffee, so lately I've been trying MCT oil and/or butter in my coffee (you have to use a blender of some kind to make it frothy) to get a little more fat. Like u/Sunny_Bunny_ , it's been working as a substitute for breakfast and keeps me going until lunch. I use 1T of each. It also seems to level out the caffeine and make it "last" longer.
  • NYGalHere
    NYGalHere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to logging on MFP but not new to low carb. Eating high fat is high in calories, do you find it hard to stay within your calories?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    NYGalHere wrote: »
    I'm new to logging on MFP but not new to low carb. Eating high fat is high in calories, do you find it hard to stay within your calories?

The trade off is that high fat is more satiating so you would thereoretically eat less. I say thereoretically because it takes time to train ourselves to listen to our bodies and be satisfied with less.

I net 1500 calories a day at 5'3" and 135 lbs. I do eat back some of my exercise calories but I am usually either under 1500 or just reaching that number. Pre-planning helps me reach the appropriate macros easier.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Gosh, not at all. Even binge-y holidays like Memorial Day BBQs were easy to stick to maintenance or lower calories if I stuck to keto-friendly foods. I'm only 34 days into a ketogenic diet, but I even went on a 5-day trip and stayed really close to my carb levels and stayed in a calorie deficit.
  • Adelia979
    Options
    You guys are all amazing. I'm going to look for that bacon jerky for sure! I'll keep it in my locker at work for my "emergency" snack fund.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So what would be some other ways to increase fat for someone who doesn't eat meat (except occasionally salmon) and really does not care for coconut oil at all? I do eat a lot of nuts and olives, but it's getting kind of boring.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    So what would be some other ways to increase fat for someone who doesn't eat meat (except occasionally salmon) and really does not care for coconut oil at all? I do eat a lot of nuts and olives, but it's getting kind of boring.

What about avocado?

Do you eat butter?

If you eat salmon, try to have it with the skin on.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Just discovered Oberto Bacon Jerky in 50 gr bags. A wonderful fat bomb.

50gr.
    240 calories.
    16gr fat.
    55mg cholesterol.
    1190mg sodium.
    3gr carbs. (3gr sugar).
    20gr protein
    Gluten free.

I'm going to try to make it myself because I can't always find it.

This is the best!

I've heard you just put bacon in the oven on a super duper low temp until it's dry-ish. I need to try it.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

There are days I find it easy to hit 1700. There are days I find it challenging to hit 1000 calories. LCHF is pretty easy to stay within a deficit.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    [quote="samanthaluangphixay;36811692
    What about avocado?

Do you eat butter?

If you eat salmon, try to have it with the skin on.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I will try to add butter to more things, I didn't think of that. I do eat guacamole, so I will just have to find some avocado recipes. :smile: