Thoughts on dairy

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
Hello everyone. Been doing LCHF since late March. Lost 10 pounds in that time. Happy about that but I'm getting a little frustrated about my progress. Loss seems to have stalled for the last month. A friend who has had great success with Keto suggested that too much dairy may be the culprit. I've been doing a little research on the topic and some sites say dairy can and usually does stall or slow down weight loss on LCHF and others say it's a myth. The only dairy I currently consume is Greek yogurt (full fat), HWC, and cheese (cream cheese, cheddar). Thinking of pulling back on the cheese but not too jazzed about cutting back on the HWC and yogurt. Just wondering if anyone out here has faced this problem and how they overcame it. Looking forward to any and all suggestions.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was given the same suggestion as I was eating just cheese to help up my fat intake. When I stopped doing that I noticed progress. Now I only eat cheese if it's a part of something - I made meatballs last night for dinner with Cotija cheese in them. I still do HWC in my BPC and I make a dessert with HWC in place of ice cream. I am not really a yogurt eater.
  • madkcole
    Options
    Interesting, thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's possible that dairy could be an issue for you. It's not exactly uncommon, but I wanted to add that weight loss simply does often slow down at times even when we are doing the same things and we know we're not overeating. But that doesn't mean progress has stalled. Just scale weight.
    I am actually up a couple pounds from April but I just went shopping last week and had to buy clothes in a smaller size than things I bought for winter. I weight the same as I did at the end of January right now. But the jeans I was wearing them with no problem are too big for me now. I can still wear them because they don't fall off, but a size smaller is a better fit.
    So I encourage you take measurements and more importantly photos from different angles to compare to so that you can feel good about the progress that you are likely still making even though the scale isn't showing you.
  • madkcole
    Options
    Good advice, thank you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

That's a good resource - thx!

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had very slow progress. I took out hwc and progressed. I did make other changes at the same time so I can't definitively say the slowness was hwc.

I still eat hard cheese and sour cream, sparingly a few times a week, and continue to lose...
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What does HWC stand for?
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Heavy Whipping Cream. It is delicious.
  • madkcole
    Options
    Thanks everyone for weighing in! :D Started the pull back on cheese this weekend. Eager to see if it makes any difference.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I gave up cheese in March, but not hwc (out of my cold, dead hands, lol!), for two weeks. I did see an increase in the weight loss during that time. But, I really like cheese, and had been losing while eating it, just slower than I would've, so I added it back in. I do avoid the store bought shredded cheeses (they're treated with corn and potato starch to keep it from sticking together) now, and just shred my own. That's the only change I made after the two weeks without it.
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    mao1962 wrote: »
    Heavy Whipping Cream. It is delicious.

OH! I never would have guessed that. LOL
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Maybe that's my problem! HWC & CHEESE! Ugh. Ok coconut oil and tuna... I'll have to research this more
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I do avoid the store bought shredded cheeses (they're treated with corn and potato starch to keep it from sticking together) now, and just shred my own. That's the only change I made after the two weeks without it.
    I did not know that about shredded cheese. I been using them because it is easier. Okay, time to find that Cheese shredder that I got as a wedding gift. LOL.

• karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I do avoid the store bought shredded cheeses (they're treated with corn and potato starch to keep it from sticking together) now, and just shred my own.

I didn't know this! I usually use this for ease to grab that pinch of cheese in the morning, but it wouldn't be to difficult to just grate my own. Thanks for the info.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the eight ounce blocks, it's so easy to cut them into half ounce cubes. Or ounce cubes, if you like.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I buy the cubes, its easier to measure how much im eating :)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    We buy the 2 lb blocks. Between my daughter and myself it lasts maybe a week, if we ration ourselves. :p
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    What does HWC stand for?

I see you got your answer but, for future reference, I made a blog similar abbreviations or terms used on this list:

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Updated

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    We buy the 2 lb blocks. Between my daughter and myself it lasts maybe a week, if we ration ourselves. :p

3700 calories, wew