Anyone ever use maca root?

auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I did a little searching online and found some interesting info on it. I started taking it yesterday as it's been claimed to help with conception. I also started taking vitex as there was some info that suggests the two can help regulate hormones. The maca is also claimed to increase energy which I did notice that, though I can't say the two are related yet or not. I have been feeling really out of whack lately but feel much better today.

Here's a not bad site I found for maca, I tend not to trust much I read online so I'd love to know if any of you have experience with it.

https://examine.com/supplements/maca/

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I did a little searching online and found some interesting info on it. I started taking it yesterday as it's been claimed to help with conception. I also started taking vitex as there was some info that suggests the two can help regulate hormones. The maca is also claimed to increase energy which I did notice that, though I can't say the two are related yet or not. I have been feeling really out of whack lately but feel much better today.

Here's a not bad site I found for maca, I tend not to trust much I read online so I'd love to know if any of you have experience with it.

https://examine.com/supplements/maca/

Nice website, thank you for posting...

Dan the Man from Michigan Keto /The Recipe Water Fasting/E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    ny29matar1xn.gif
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I started taking it a few years ago when I was looking for that bit of energy. It's not a huge difference, but when I had undiagnosed health issues, every little bit seemed to help. I take it less frequently now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I've heard both mentioned in the PCOS group, maca more by naturopaths and such... Vitex is more commonly referenced... Reach out to @Alliwan (she's recovering from a surprise baby!) and @Dragonwolf specifically. They both have far more knowledge in this arena than I do...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I haven't used it, personally, but I have seen it recommended a few times lately. One of the first times I'd heard it mentioned was in a Podcast with Melissa of Sexy Food Therapy with her energizing hot chocolate recipe (which is absolute crack, by the way) -- http://www.sexyfoodtherapy.com/adrenal-fatigue-crashing-3pm-drink/

As I understand it, Maca works primarily through two ways:

1. It's got a bunch of nutrients. That's pretty self-explanatory.
    2. It's an adaptogen, which means that consumption of it helps promote homeostasis and hormonal balance in the body. As a result, it has a list of benefits that make it look like a "wonder" herb (that list includes increased energy). Ginseng, Holy Basil, and cordycep mushrooms are also adaptogens, among others.

So yeah, it's definitely worth trying out and toying around with. It's also arguably a better option to try before Vitex, since Vitex is a bit more medicinal than Maca, as I understand it (Maca can be treated more like a supplement, while Vitex is arguably better treated more like medicine). Don't get me wrong, Vitex is very useful and definitely worth looking into, too, but it does need treated with a bit more care.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I think it was hypothyroidpharmacist.com or one of those other from the podcast that said adaptogens are dangerous to mess with if you haven't been tested. Is that your experience as well? This link and such seems pretty mild... ???
  • auntstephie321
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I haven't used it, personally, but I have seen it recommended a few times lately. One of the first times I'd heard it mentioned was in a Podcast with Melissa of Sexy Food Therapy with her energizing hot chocolate recipe (which is absolute crack, by the way) -- http://www.sexyfoodtherapy.com/adrenal-fatigue-crashing-3pm-drink/

As I understand it, Maca works primarily through two ways:

1. It's got a bunch of nutrients. That's pretty self-explanatory.
    2. It's an adaptogen, which means that consumption of it helps promote homeostasis and hormonal balance in the body. As a result, it has a list of benefits that make it look like a "wonder" herb (that list includes increased energy). Ginseng, Holy Basil, and cordycep mushrooms are also adaptogens, among others.

So yeah, it's definitely worth trying out and toying around with. It's also arguably a better option to try before Vitex, since Vitex is a bit more medicinal than Maca, as I understand it (Maca can be treated more like a supplement, while Vitex is arguably better treated more like medicine). Don't get me wrong, Vitex is very useful and definitely worth looking into, too, but it does need treated with a bit more care.

Thank you for all the info. I figure it's worth trying we'll see what happens, maybe it'll be the little bit we need.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Steph, check out the link on her probiotic thing, too, the video. Dunno about the brand she recommended, but it has some good conception related stuff, if I heard her right. @auntstephie321
  • Dragonwolf
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I think it was hypothyroidpharmacist.com or one of those other from the podcast that said adaptogens are dangerous to mess with if you haven't been tested. Is that your experience as well? This link and such seems pretty mild... ???

Never heard that.

As I understand them, that doesn't make sense, anyway. Adaptogens do exactly what it sounds like -- they adapt to you. Kind of like how Inositol works by working with your system -- improving the communication channels so that your body communicates with itself better -- instead of forcing your system to do something. How would that even work such that they'd be dangerous?
  • auntstephie321
    @dragonwolf I'm totally making that hot cocoa, it's exactly how I made it all winter minus the maca. I wish I wasn't out of almond milk right now
  • KnitOrMiss

Never heard that.

As I understand them, that doesn't make sense, anyway. Adaptogens do exactly what it sounds like -- they adapt to you. Kind of like how Inositol works by working with your system -- improving the communication channels so that your body communicates with itself better -- instead of forcing your system to do something. How would that even work such that they'd be dangerous?

@Dragonwolf - I think her main argument was that people's hormones and bodies are already so out of whack in general that without testing, using an adaptogen that you might not need might throw the body further out of whack due to undiagnosed deficiencies or dominances... I will have to see if I can find the info.

Just like supplements we don't need, sometimes they could do more harm than good...

This article seems to touch on some of it, but it wasn't the one I was looking for: https://www.drlam.com/articles/7mistakesofadrenalfatigue.asp
  • Dragonwolf

Never heard that.

@Dragonwolf - I think her main argument was that people's hormones and bodies are already so out of whack in general that without testing, using an adaptogen that you might not need might throw the body further out of whack due to undiagnosed deficiencies or dominances... I will have to see if I can find the info.

Just like supplements we don't need, sometimes they could do more harm than good...

This article seems to touch on some of it, but it wasn't the one I was looking for: https://www.drlam.com/articles/7mistakesofadrenalfatigue.asp

While I'm sure she has good points (just as the link you provided does), anyone could have undiagnosed imbalances, too. In fact, given the abysmal state of the health care system at least in the US, there's a high chance of that. The "Inexperienced Health Care Providers" mistake is also a likely scenario, and it's because of that scenario that one is likely to turn to supplements to begin with. It's a Catch-22, really, and doesn't just apply to supplements.

What it boils down to do, then, is do your homework, get support from an experienced medical professional if possible, and monitor your symptoms/reactions when starting/trying a new supplement.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I agree completely, across the board!
  • auntstephie321
    from what I've found on maca it seems that if my body doesn't need the hormone regulating effects it has, then it won't do any harm because its not a hormone. though I'm certain my hormones are out of whack anyway so. I've definitely noticed a difference already, I'm not taking a lot of it though, just starting slowly to see if it does anything. SO started taking as well.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Do some research on buckwheat Farinetta for PCOS. The wife has been using it for quite a while, and it help to keep the typical symptoms at bay. As far as conception goes, we still needed the doctors help.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ummm...their level of evidence seems rather flawed in that these "credible" studies have only a handful of people. Extremely underpowered & not compared to any gold standard treatment arms. Examine.com's definition of RCT is nothing vs. a Stage III Clinical trial required for meds.

"Inexperienced Health Care providers" don't waste time for such unregulated supplements that aren't even worth mentioning in drafting expert panel guidelines. Not to mention, you never know what you get with non-USP certified supplements.

Not to be a buzzkill, just the reality & statistics of supplements vs. drugs
  • auntstephie321
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Ummm...their level of evidence seems rather flawed in that these "credible" studies have only a handful of people. Extremely underpowered & not compared to any gold standard treatment arms. Examine.com's definition of RCT is nothing vs. a Stage III Clinical trial required for meds.

"Inexperienced Health Care providers" don't waste time for such unregulated supplements that aren't even worth mentioning in drafting expert panel guidelines. Not to mention, you never know what you get with non-USP certified supplements.

Yes I understand what supplements are. Have you ever taken maca root yourself? I'm looking for any experiences from those who have .
  • auntstephie321
    jaymo602 wrote: »
    Do some research on buckwheat Farinetta for PCOS. The wife has been using it for quite a while, and it help to keep the typical symptoms at bay. As far as conception goes, we still needed the doctors help.

Thankfully I don't have pcos. We may still need a doctor's help as well. We will see what happens.
  • Dragonwolf

You might want to learn more about PCOS. Unfortunately, there's no actual medication for it. The best there is right now is Metformin, birth control pills, and maybe insulin producers like Byetta, all of which are used off-label in this circumstance, and a bit hit or miss in efficacy.

To compound matters, doctors are actually largely uninformed in general about PCOS, especially at the primary level, making even prescription medication hard to come by.

Supplements like maca have shown enough promise in smaller studies to warrant larger ones, and to be used in the meantime. Unlike the current medications, these supplements act on a larger systemic level, allowing the body to work better, in general, as opposed to targeting one, specific thing and hoping it's enough to kick the rest of the body into gear.

Here's a paper on maca and some of the studies that have been done that may be of interest. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184420/
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    I am quite familiar with all drugs used off-label for PCOS. My point is supplements are false hope & lack of evidence, safety, & regulation are issues of concern. The vast majority of supplement studies have mixed & conflicting results as well as method flaws; they are not performed properly.

BTW, byetta is not an insulin producer, it's mechanism involves an GLP-1 Agonism and is not a secretagogue. They do proliferate beta cells however but do not directly produce insulin
  • auntstephie321
    edited June 2016
    I am quite familiar with all drugs used off-label for PCOS. My point is supplements are false hope & lack of evidence, safety, & regulation are issues of concern. The vast majority of supplement studies have mixed & conflicting results as well as method flaws; they are not performed properly.

BTW, byetta is not an insulin producer, it's mechanism involves an GLP-1 Agonism and is not a secretagogue. They do proliferate beta cells however but do not directly produce insulin

I dont know, my Dr said basically the same thing about taking magnesium supplements, I guess if I'd followed his advice I'd still be having spasms in my shoulders every single night and paying a chiropractor 100 dollars a week so I could turn my head. Since maca is actually a root I really don't see much area for concern. Many people have been discussing lately how acv has helped them with acid reflux, instead of taking prescription drugs for it. There's a lot of conflicting evidence on that as well.

I'd much rather hear from those with actual personal experience.