Hey everyone

Options

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1. What made you accept the invitation or join?

Saw mention of it in another of your threads. Always a fan of your posting so thought Id check it out.
    2. What's your biggest challenge when it comes to your fitness?
    Generally - Adherence.
    Ive never been a "fitness" person. Never enjoyed or been interested in working out.
    The year before last I had a wake up call my weight was out of hand, so dieted down to a good weight.
    Then I realised I was grossly unfit so spent last year trying to rectify that.

I lift mostly, though did C25k last year and am getting back into jogging more.

As much as I like it, and like the results, its still not something that comes totally naturally to me and takes a big effort to get up and do it. Its especially bad if I feel low at that time, and can be prone to spells like that.

Specifically - somethings up with my shoulder at the minute so Im laying off to see if it heals.
    3. Why are you enough right now?
    Im positive. I have faults Im trying to rectify. Im trying to improve myself. While I can always be "better" Im already a hell of a lot better off than I was in the past.
    4. How do you define a successful day in your life?

Shamelessly stealing this:
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    - any day I've set a good example for my kids or been of value to my wife is a successful day

I could write a dozen paragraphs and not make the same point anywhere near as well.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Saw mention of it in another of your threads. Always a fan of your posting so thought Id check it out.

@samhennings

Thanks and welcome aboard!
    Generally - Adherence.
    Ive never been a "fitness" person. Never enjoyed or been interested in working out.
    The year before last I had a wake up call my weight was out of hand, so dieted down to a good weight. Then I realised I was grossly unfit so spent last year trying to rectify that.

I lift mostly, though did C25k last year and am getting back into jogging more.

As much as I like it, and like the results, its still not something that comes totally naturally to me and takes a big effort to get up and do it. Its especially bad if I feel low at that time, and can be prone to spells like that.

Why does being a "good weight" and a fit person matter to you?
    Im positive. I have faults Im trying to rectify. Im trying to improve myself. While I can always be "better" Im already a hell of a lot better off than I was in the past.

Love seeing people embrace a growth mindset!

• samhennings
    Options

I dont know really, it just does.

I have an idea of being fit, that Id like to achieve. Mostly because I never have been that way.

I have children, not only would I like to be a good example to them, but I want to be able to keep up with them as well. Be active and have fun with them.

Ive just come to the mindset where its something I feel I should do.

A bit vague, Im sorry, but I dont really have a single, articulate, answer to that.
  • stroutman81
    Options

I dont know really, it just does.

I have an idea of being fit, that Id like to achieve. Mostly because I never have been that way.

I have children, not only would I like to be a good example to them, but I want to be able to keep up with them as well. Be active and have fun with them.

Ive just come to the mindset where its something I feel I should do.

A bit vague, Im sorry, but I dont really have a single, articulate, answer to that.

When you "should" all over yourself, you tend to accumulate a sense of guilt and eventually a unconscious desire to rebel.

At least that's been my experience with myself and clients.

I think having a clearly defined why and regularly reflecting on that why are important parts of the process. Otherwise, when motivation is low, which is natural at times, there's really nothing front and center in your mind to help you follow through with your intentions in spite of the low willpower.

Thoughts?
  • samhennings
    Options
    I dont think thats the case with me. I think with me keeping it a little "casual" in my mind helps me get on with it.

Were I to make a solid, absolute, committment? THAT is when it would all fall down and I would rebel.

So Ive instead tried to build a routine, a habit, and then try to stick to that. KISS kind of thing.

Perhaps I should have a more defined target/reasoning. Could be Im in a place to deal with that more, Ill give it some thought.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

What do you think overeating provides you? Put differently, why do you think you keep doing it?!

I'm not sure. I enjoy eating, and food selection and cooking is a big hobby of mine. Some of it is comfort eating, I know. But for the most part, I simply love to eat good food, and my home is always full of good food. And I never get the feeling of being overstuffed, despite what I eat. I've had no problem getting in 1200 calories in one meal without discomfort (which I kinda have to do on this diet, since most of my intake occurs over a 3-4 hour span). The book I just finished proposed that we have an instinctual urge to overeat, which would make sense from an evolutionary perspective I suppose.

I keep doing it because I haven't had any real consequences so far. I'm still probably a few pounds from my goal weight, but I've never been overweight so I guess I haven't felt a strong push to change my habits until recently.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm not sure. I enjoy eating, and food selection and cooking is a big hobby of mine. Some of it is comfort eating, I know. But for the most part, I simply love to eat good food, and my home is always full of good food. And I never get the feeling of being overstuffed, despite what I eat. I've had no problem getting in 1200 calories in one meal without discomfort (which I kinda have to do on this diet, since most of my intake occurs over a 3-4 hour span). The book I just finished proposed that we have an instinctual urge to overeat, which would make sense from an evolutionary perspective I suppose.

I keep doing it because I haven't had any real consequences so far. I'm still probably a few pounds from my goal weight, but I've never been overweight so I guess I haven't felt a strong push to change my habits until recently.

An intermittent fasting approach works very well for some people. It's not the be all end all, and it's totally wrong for some folks, but if you're enjoying it than that's all that matters.

Why the strong push to change your habits now?
  • MaryQueenofWalking
    MaryQueenofWalking Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hello -1. I belonged to the School of Stroutman and thought the advice to women who don't have "alot" to lose or want to get leaner was brilliant. Also, some of my friends seem to know you and joined!
    2. I try every day to move more and eat satisfying foods within my maintenance or weight loss goals. That said, I basically struggle to meet my goals, altough I think they are very realistic. I try to take the incremental approach that even a few less empty calories or a few more steps on any given day is a good step toward better fitness and health. I also have a need to keep my "numbers" in the right zone and that is immediately impacted by diet/exercise.
    3. I'm enough right now because my two sons are on the right tracks for their future and I had a great walk during lunchtime today!
    4. An organized day in the office, some time exercising outdoors, and time spent with family or friends.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hello -1. I belonged to the School of Stroutman and thought the advice to women who don't have "alot" to lose or want to get leaner was brilliant. Also, some of my friends seem to know you and joined!

I actually thought about making a group specific to lean women trying to get leaner. It didn't feed my passion quite like the concept of this group, though... so I went with this.
    2. I try every day to move more and eat satisfying foods within my maintenance or weight loss goals. That said, I basically struggle to meet my goals, altough I think they are very realistic. I try to take the incremental approach that even a few less empty calories or a few more steps on any given day is a good step toward better fitness and health. I also have a need to keep my "numbers" in the right zone and that is immediately impacted by diet/exercise.

Help me understand what you struggle with in particular please?

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

An intermittent fasting approach works very well for some people. It's not the be all end all, and it's totally wrong for some folks, but if you're enjoying it than that's all that matters.

Why the strong push to change your habits now?

I was active before and during pregnancy. I loved kickboxing, and had just started learning BJJ. When my son was born, I struggled to juggle everything. My mom was dying, and I had other priorities. It wasn't until he was nearly 2 that I realized I needed exercise for my mental health, and to get some of my self back. I'm changing my eating habits because to be able to do the activities I want to do, I need to properly fuel my body, and not just eat a ton of calories because I can. I want to be a little leaner and a lot stronger, and I need solid nutrition to get there I think.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I was active before and during pregnancy. I loved kickboxing, and had just started learning BJJ. When my son was born, I struggled to juggle everything. My mom was dying, and I had other priorities. It wasn't until he was nearly 2 that I realized I needed exercise for my mental health, and to get some of my self back. I'm changing my eating habits because to be able to do the activities I want to do, I need to properly fuel my body, and not just eat a ton of calories because I can. I want to be a little leaner and a lot stronger, and I need solid nutrition to get there I think.

Sorry about your mom.

Good thing is getting a little leaner and a lot stronger are simple journeys. Not easy... they take a lot of consistency, effort, and momentum. But the path to each is pretty straightforward.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! And keep us posted on how your experiment with IF is coming along please.

• ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

1. Hi Steve! I've been following your posts for a couple years now and I enjoy very much your insight. I enjoy learning very much - I think learning about nutrition and fitness was one of my strongest drives for achieving a significant weight loss a couple years back. And although I've tackled the basics, I feel like there are still lots of beasts to conquer: emotional eating, all or nothing thinking, etc etc. I enjoy your way of thinking and I feel like I have a lot to learn from you.
    2. Things work well when I have time, I feel good about myself and I don't have too many social obligations. When life is busy though, it becomes a mess. I make it worse by giving up in advance, thinking "oh, I'll start over next week" etc etc. Finding the balance between everyday life and working towards long term goals is my biggest challenge, not only in fitness :)
    3. I tend to say to myself "that's not enough" a lot. But I have a good life and a great family and I try everyday to get better. I should acknowledge that more often...
    4. I'd say successful day is a day that I managed to do a bit of everything. Be productive at work, do my workout, prepare my meals, have time with my family, have time for myself. Not easy to manage every day, but I try.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    rachmaree wrote: »
    I'm sure you can guess the answer. In a mommy group I'm in I see people that are clearly struggling with weight more than ı am, and the first thing I do is say something positive, but when it comes to myself, I'm horrible. I have been making an effort, but as I said above, it doesn't come naturally, so is a work in progress to be kind to myself.

@rachmaree

It's okay that it doesn't come naturally. In fact, it's natural for most of us to play the role of "harsh critic" when it comes to our own lives. Great job, though, in realizing this and striving to change it. That's what this community is all about. Acknowledging and issue and putting in the work to improve it.

You say that you've been making an effort. Any particular strategy you're employing? Or sort of just trying to be more cognizant of it in general?

Thanks Steve.
    I try to catch the negative self talk right away, and find some way to make it positive. Start to think 'Look at my flabby belly!' (while doing a plank). Stop and think, 'I had 2 pregnancies that went 42 weeks! I am taking the time to exercise, and look, I can hold it the full 70 seconds.'

I find it very hard to accept that my body has simply changed after having babies. My boobs will never be the same again. That's ok- obviously- I just wasn't mentally prepared for it.

I did 30 days in a group where I posted a positive thought every day (from a book) which did help me to reflect on things. I look at my body now and want it to be a way it may never be... I'm trying to learn to accept and love it as it is.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    1. Hi Steve! I've been following your posts for a couple years now and I enjoy very much your insight. I enjoy learning very much - I think learning about nutrition and fitness was one of my strongest drives for achieving a significant weight loss a couple years back. And although I've tackled the basics, I feel like there are still lots of beasts to conquer: emotional eating, all or nothing thinking, etc etc. I enjoy your way of thinking and I feel like I have a lot to learn from you.

Thanks so much! And yeah, as I'm fond of saying... for most of us the bulk of the battle is from the neck up. Get a handle on that stuff and from the neck down tends to fall into place naturally.
    2. Things work well when I have time, I feel good about myself and I don't have too many social obligations. When life is busy though, it becomes a mess. I make it worse by giving up in advance, thinking "oh, I'll start over next week" etc etc. Finding the balance between everyday life and working towards long term goals is my biggest challenge, not only in fitness :)

Have you ever considered creating fallback plans. Essentially these are the minimal versions of your typical goal habits. For example, I have a fallback workout or three for when I simply can't make it to the gym to train for an hour or so. Instead, I'll pick up my adjustable DBs at home and bang out this fallback workout in 10-15 minutes.

Ideal?

Meh, that's a loaded question. Ideal is context specific. Relative to the intended workout for the day? OF course it's not ideal. But relative to the scope and happenings of that particular day... it's absolutely ideal. Plus it keeps my momentum going without all the negative judgment and anxiety.
    3. I tend to say to myself "that's not enough" a lot. But I have a good life and a great family and I try everyday to get better. I should acknowledge that more often...

While I'm not a fan of the word "should," I agree... you should!

lol

Heck, even if you commit to 5 minutes first thing in the morning or last thing at night to writing down a 1-3 things you're proud of, happy about, or feeling gratitude for... I think it'd pay a lot of dividends to your sense of worth and wellbeing.
    4. I'd say successful day is a day that I managed to do a bit of everything. Be productive at work, do my workout, prepare my meals, have time with my family, have time for myself. Not easy to manage every day, but I try.

Showing up and trying is the name of the game.

• stroutman81
    Options
    rachmaree wrote: »
    Thanks Steve.
    I try to catch the negative self talk right away, and find some way to make it positive. Start to think 'Look at my flabby belly!' (while doing a plank). Stop and think, 'I had 2 pregnancies that went 42 weeks! I am taking the time to exercise, and look, I can hold it the full 70 seconds.'

I find it very hard to accept that my body has simply changed after having babies. My boobs will never be the same again. That's ok- obviously- I just wasn't mentally prepared for it.

I did 30 days in a group where I posted a positive thought every day (from a book) which did help me to reflect on things. I look at my body now and want it to be a way it may never be... I'm trying to learn to accept and love it as it is.

Awesome progress so far! Seriously... be proud.

And yeah, I think daily reflection is very important. I journal 5 minutes every single morning and 5-10 minutes every single night. Most people are surprised by this, but I've found that reflecting on a gratitude list, what I've done well, what I'd do differently, what I hope to accomplish for the day, and my goals every single day has been monumental in shaping the person that I am today.

It's one of those things that seems so inconsequential while doing it but is obviously very big in hindsight.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How often do you reflect on what you did well?

probably not as often as I could. more often than a lot of people though because I've had no choice but to develop pretty sharp self awareness as a result of constantly working on myself due to mental health issues.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Your "lean people getting leaner" post was awesome, and along with a few other MFP "guides", really changed my perspective on fitness. I want to be a part of what comes out of that!

I had been very successful losing down to a healthy weight using MFP but suddenly two years later started gaining. While supposedly not changing anything! In retrospect I would say it was/is perimenopause combined with perhaps under eating and overtraining. It didn't seem to be too much training at the time, but I believe the added stress of the hormonal changes tipped me over the edge. Since then I have spent the past four years trying to find my way, fitness wise, and have finally started making progress again (after gaining for nearly 4 years!).

Schedules. I am only nominally in control of my time, as my family and work get first dibs! I have two active teen boys, with lots of events to see and practices to attend. One is now driving, but the other has to be taxi-ed about, plus homework, projects, providing for their and hubby's needs, etc. the schedule is a struggle for exercise, for eating right, for sleeping, and for not getting too stressed out. Some weeks survival is the only goal.

Also, after having struggled to find my fitness path again, I still struggle with fear that I can't control my weight. Every day I have to deal with the negative thoughts that say I'm going to start gaining again, etc.

I recently started a 14:10 IF protocol, but before that, I struggled with satiety while staying on goal. It is hard to feed two growing active teen boys loads and loads of food without feeling a little deprived. But IF has mostly eliminated this challenge. I still miss breakfast psychologically, but I'm really not hungry in the mornings!

First, I will draw from a long-ago conversation with other young moms. We were sitting at the pool talking about how we envied the beautiful bodies of the teenage lifeguards when one wise woman spoke up and said, "Enough! My body is wonderful. I have two strong legs that allow me to do what I need for my family, and my husband finds them attractive! I am healthy and able to live life, etc. etc."

That conversation has stuck with me for more than ten years. So first, I will say that I am enough because I have a healthy body that provides for my family, and that my husband finds attractive.

Second, I am enough because I am getting ready to launch two beautiful young men into the world in the next couple of years. I know they will do great things! I have molded (as best I could) their hearts and characters, and I have done my best by them. And they are not technically even mine! They are adopted, and it amazes me how God (I believe in God, but whatever higher power the reader believes in) could take hubby's and my loss (not being able to conceive) and turn it into gain for two boys who would just be "part of the system" now. I am doubly blessed by them and wouldn't have it any other way! (Now before you think I am unrealistic, let me just say that there are days where I would sell you two teenage boys for cheap. . . . . !)

Right now I am on summer break, so I am in "task accomplishment" mode. So a successful day is one where I get my workout in, accomplish the tasks I planned, and take a nap! Also, saving enough calories for wine is good too!

During the school year it turns into just survival!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    How often do you reflect on what you did well?

probably not as often as I could. more often than a lot of people though because I've had no choice but to develop pretty sharp self awareness as a result of constantly working on myself due to mental health issues.

There are some pretty decent journaling apps that cue you to check in with yourself daily. Not sure if that's something that resonates with you.
  • MaryQueenofWalking
    MaryQueenofWalking Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MaryQueenofWalking wrote: »

I actually thought about making a group specific to lean women trying to get leaner. It didn't feed my passion quite like the concept of this group, though... so I went with this.

Help me understand what you struggle with in particular please?

I'm in my fifties and over the last four years I've gained 9 pounds. I would like a simple fitness regime I can use to up my exercise intensity from walking 3.5 miles per hour 3x a week. I have a sedentary office job - both my sons will be at college in Sept. so I'll have more control over my evenings and food choices in the house. I'm not interested in "killing" it at the gym or starving myself with 1200 cals a day.
  • stroutman81
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @tigerblue
    tigerblue wrote: »

Your "lean people getting leaner" post was awesome, and along with a few other MFP "guides", really changed my perspective on fitness. I want to be a part of what comes out of that!

Well thanks. I always appreciate when people read my stuff more than words can describe.
    I had been very successful losing down to a healthy weight using MFP but suddenly two years later started gaining. While supposedly not changing anything! In retrospect I would say it was/is perimenopause combined with perhaps under eating and overtraining. It didn't seem to be too much training at the time, but I believe the added stress of the hormonal changes tipped me over the edge. Since then I have spent the past four years trying to find my way, fitness wise, and have finally started making progress again (after gaining for nearly 4 years!).

Love it. Not that you struggled, but that you opened up to the possibility to learning in the face of struggle. This tends to be a difference maker - some people retreat as their egos and identities are challenged. Others put on their thinking caps, accept the reality of the situation, and recalibrate.

Schedules. I am only nominally in control of my time, as my family and work get first dibs! I have two active teen boys, with lots of events to see and practices to attend. One is now driving, but the other has to be taxi-ed about, plus homework, projects, providing for their and hubby's needs, etc. the schedule is a struggle for exercise, for eating right, for sleeping, and for not getting too stressed out. Some weeks survival is the only goal.

Can definitely relate to this challenge. And I know it'll only get worse as my children get older.

I find having fallback plans for workouts, where it's some abbreviated version of what I had planned, helps tremendously. I make the barrier to entry so low it's hard to not at least do my fallback workout.

I also have a dozen or so options of restaurant options that still honor my goals. I've mapped/planned them out where they fit at least my calories (though I'm not a counter I have a loose idea of what each meal contains). This way even when I'm relying on convenience food I'm still on point with the important nutrition fundamentals.
    Also, after having struggled to find my fitness path again, I still struggle with fear that I can't control my weight. Every day I have to deal with the negative thoughts that say I'm going to start gaining again, etc.

Why do you fear gaining weight?

First, I will draw from a long-ago conversation with other young moms. We were sitting at the pool talking about how we envied the beautiful bodies of the teenage lifeguards when one wise woman spoke up and said, "Enough! My body is wonderful. I have two strong legs that allow me to do what I need for my family, and my husband finds them attractive! I am healthy and able to live life, etc. etc."

That conversation has stuck with me for more than ten years. So first, I will say that I am enough because I have a healthy body that provides for my family, and that my husband finds attractive.

Damn straight. Love insightful people like this.
    Second, I am enough because I am getting ready to launch two beautiful young men into the world in the next couple of years. I know they will do great things! I have molded (as best I could) their hearts and characters, and I have done my best by them. And they are not technically even mine! They are adopted, and it amazes me how God (I believe in God, but whatever higher power the reader believes in) could take hubby's and my loss (not being able to conceive) and turn it into gain for two boys who would just be "part of the system" now. I am doubly blessed by them and wouldn't have it any other way! (Now before you think I am unrealistic, let me just say that there are days where I would sell you two teenage boys for cheap. . . . . !)

Totally awesome. No other words.