What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• jppage67
    jppage67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Air Force Marathon in Dayton, OH on September 17.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Can't believe that its only 2 weeks before my 70 miler and as always before a long run, I feel like I haven't trained enough.
    It's the 4am start that I'm really not looking forward to.
  • jlozano1982
    jlozano1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Full marathon in January! Houston Chevron ! My first one ¡!
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    About to start training for the Soldier Marathon in Columbus, GA in November.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Training for my November marathon 'officially' begins tomorrow. B)
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eastern States 100 in August!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    At the moment things seem to have changed. Instead of running to hit a future event distance (or chain of events) I am running and strength building to primarily become a stronger, more efficient runner first, and building miles on top of that. The added emphasis on strength currently takes away strength/endurance from my prior mileage. But at some point I should be able to get back to such higher mileage WITH that strength still included, which is what I am truly training for now.

All that said, I still wish to be able to make my current planned fall event distances without sacrificing any of the above, but the events and distances are secondary and will come naturally over time.
  • sebachie
    sebachie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Training for the NY Marathon November 6. My 1st Marathon ;)
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm racing on a relay team, next weekend. My leg is a short 10K, which is no problem. The only pressure is that the team wants to win and I'm the weakest link.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Second HM is in September I'll be starting training for that pretty quick here
  • halfrunnerJ
    halfrunnerJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Houston Half in October and the Aramco Houston Half next January.
  • ArB729
    ArB729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running my first Half on Sept. 11th and my second on Oct. 1st. if anyone has any advice on running two half marathons three weeks apart; I'd greatly appreciate any input!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I once ran half marathons on back to back weekends. I couldn't decide which I wanted to do so I did both. I don't recommend that!

I've done 3-4 weeks apart many times - too many good races in New England during the fall. My best advice is to pick one as the priority and treat the other as a training or fun run. I follow the first with an easy training week, then a full training week, and then repeat my taper week. But if my body says it needs more rest, then I adjust accordingly.

But that's just my experience. I'm sure there are more knowledgable hard core runners out there that have more informed advice to give.

Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Half Marathons on back to back weekends or just three to four weeks apart, you seem pretty hard core to me ;-)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @ArB729:
    Closest HM I've run is two weeks apart. But that was in the context of training for a marathon, so the experience is just a little different than if the HM distance is all that you are currently doing. I have run two marathons on back-to-back weekends.

From that perspective, here is what I can share. You can probably be mostly recovered from the first HM one by the time you run the second one. If you take the rule of thumb of one day of recovery for every race mile you run, you should be fine.

There are two keys to this: how fast you run the first one (how hard you press yourself given the conditions and the course) and what you do to recover between them. I would suggest that if you press yourself reasonably hard compared to your training on the first HM, then the first couple of days after the race are mostly walking days or at most a very easy run of not more than 2-3 miles. If you follow the pattern of rest day, run day, rest day, run day after the first HM, no run day should be a hard run and I would suggest that no run should exceed 4-5 miles towards the end of the first week. On the second week, you can probably repeat your taper week patterns going into the second HM if you have no real muscle soreness or stiffness.

On food and nutrition, be mindful of that both after the first race and also leading up to the second race.

You might also choose which one you are going to run as if it were a goal race and then allow the other one to be more "fun" than race. Sometimes things like the course layout helps inform this decision. Keep in mind the weather is an unknown but you could have more favorable temperature conditions with the later race but you are still playing the odds with that.

Most importantly, allow it to be a teaching moment (for you) to see what you are capable of. The first race may give you some hints about what works (and doesn't) given your current training approach that you could use in the second race.

And as always, smile for the cameras!

• christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Chicago!!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well after various breakages :( And now somewhat foolish decisions, I am training for the Cle Elum 50K to run with a friend, and backing it up with Baker Lake 50K the following weekend... well that's the plan!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    After a long period of just training to get healthy again, my mental attitude has shifted. I am now training for the Rochester Marathon on September 18. Because of prior injury, I am behind where I would be if I'd started the training cycle healthy; but I won't be totally untrained when I get there.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Fully into training for my September HM. This week is week 1 of training, and I'm already on course to hit a weekly Mileage PR, and possibly a Long Run distance PR tomorrow.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My wife just surprised me with a registration for the Dopey Challenge at Disney World in January. Not quite sure if she is trying to kill me or just wanted a trip to Disney?!?!? So, that's what I'm training for along with a local half and full in October.