OK. So I finally found you.

Options
Kerryatoon
Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
OH MY GOD. THIS. SO MUCH THIS. (I apologize ahead of time for this long post.. I needed to get this all out)

I've been feeling all the things written over and over by people in this group. I've thought I was alone in this struggle I've been dealing with. At times it makes me feel hopeless and I alternate between feeling like its a crisis I have to deal with NOW to just saying screw it and going back into periods of severe restrictions and the inevitable binges. This is so much more of a head thing for me than I thought.

I'm learning that I need a complete overhaul in my thinking about weight, food, exercise and health. As a kid and young adult I was an athlete and didn't have to worry much about food. I ate when I was hungry and never had problems with weight. As an adult.. I fell into that cycle of gain loss and unhealthy relationships with food and my body that have continued too long. I KNOW I have done damage to my metabolism over the years as I was a smoker, substance addict (I liked the ones that kept me from eating.. surprise) consistent breakfast (sometimes lunch too) skipper, off and on dieter, up and down in weight for most of my adult life. I bought the lie that less food meant less weight. I was taught that I could not trust my body's signals. It was a big fat liar that I had to ignore when it said I was hungry.. or tired.. or stressed. How common this is among women in other areas is making me realize I need to re-learn to listen to my body. It is wise. I need to love it.

In recovery I started learning to listen and pay attention when my body/mind/spirit were asking for relief. I've had to learn new ways to feed and nourish my mind and soul and it has been the best thing I've ever done in my life. I'm living a clean, sober and smoke free life and have never been more spiritually fulfilled as a woman as I am now. I feel that this body journey is just the last piece of the puzzle. I am officially considering my body in recovery now too. I need to learn to trust and listen to my body and take care of it like I take care of the rest of me.

Now I'm approaching 40 and just coming off a 1200 cal diet that netted me a loss of 25 lbs which has been stalled for two months now. I keep running into @heybales in every post I make about this rumor I hear about eating more to weigh less.. lol. Bless his heart he's giving me great advice but I am STRUGGLING with the mental aspect of it. Then I found this group and have been reading EVERYTHING I can and I'm literally writing this now in tears because I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. SO GLAD.

I started to run into this idea when I started my heavy lifting routine about 7 weeks ago. I got a membership at a gym and started in on a StrongLift 5x5 program with minimal formal cardio above and beyond my normal lifestyle. I have a kid and 2 dogs and we are pretty active overall. I knew I needed to eat more to fuel my muscle growth and have been floundering ever since. I've slowly crept up from 1200 to 1390 (2 weeks), 1500 for a couple weeks and then 1600 for 2 weeks. I was doing really well at accurate tracking and noticing improvements in my strength training but recently while being at 1600 cals things have taken a turn for me. I'm hungry all the time. Even when hitting my macros consistently.. I'm finding myself bingeing again. I have done multiple TDEE calculators... then ignored them.. because eating at 1900-2200 cals sounds INSANE! But what I'm doing obviously isn't working.

The good news is that I'm here. I'm certain I need a metabolic reset and I'm committed to doing this but I know I'm going to need support and encouragement. I'm so glad I've found you all here and I'll probably be here whining about putting on weight or freaking out because I'm eating at TDEE for a week. I'm not sure how to do handle the head part of all this but I'm going to stick around and give it a shot and let everyone here help me along. Thank you all for posting so honestly and sharing your struggles in your JOURNEY to health and fitness.. I feel like I've finally found people that get what I'm going through.

Nice to meet you all,
Kerry

Replies

• justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    :) I just want to hug you! I'm so glad you found us. I was like you, in tears when I started reading here...everything started to make sense right??

I know it seems like you will never be able to get your calories up there but you will. I did the "add 100 extra calories per day for one week" route. Slowly upping till I got to somewhere in the neighborhood of my TDEE. You can do it, you are probably so hungry now because your body is just starting to run again. So don't binge, but maybe up your calories 200 per day for the next week. You don't have to wait, just start it tomorrow. Yes, you are going to gain weight, it's just going to happen. You've spent too long at too low of calories you HAVE to get your metabolism awake again. Just do it, and when you get to your TDEE, enjoy the extra energy and build up some muscle!

Don't worry about the mind game. Your mind will come to terms with it. It's just such a weird, strange, magical journey.

My best advice to you is do not rush the process!! Up your calories, get to your TDEE, and stay there for months. When you are at the point where you really don't want to lower your calories? THEN it's time for the cut. But nothing crazy...EVER. AGAIN. Max of 500 calories below your TDEE daily.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kerry! Kudos for seeing that there is more out there than they try to sell us.

The popular mentality of eat less and exercise more, take some "burners", use some wraps, do some cleanses, remove foods, eat even less, does not work. It may make us drop some weight on the scale, fit into our old clothes, but it does not take long for things to go down south and all the weight that as lost to return with friends. Those quick fixes, miracle promises are not sustainable, they end up ruining our metabolism, wasting our time and money and making us miserable.

Still, it's not always easy to change our mindset and stop listening to all the noise we are exposed to. Eating 1900/2200 cals a day may sound insane, but that what a grown-up person should be eating. Toddlers need more than 1200. Great job on increasing slowly,that will be easier on your body and help avoid bloating and feeling stuffed.

If you haven't done so, get our EM2WL free starting guide: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start and check out the metabolismet guide: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Feel free to ask any questions you have, we are here to help you.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Im so glad you found us, and yes, there are a LOT of us:) We have all felt the same struggles, the same mind games, the same worries. We are all in this together and we are all helping each other out.

As the other ladies have said, getting the eats up to your TDEE is your first goal. Take your time to get there and dont rush the process. It took me over two years to hit my TDEE, and its over 3000:) its hard to believe we need that many calories, and I know 2200 sounds insane when you are programmed to believe 1200 is all you need, but I promise you, you will thank yourself when you hit that TDEE and give your body the fuel it needs. The gains in strength, the gains in health... the mental gains as well, its not just scale related. The hunger you have been feeling the last little bit.. thats your body saying "I need more food!!" Listen to it. Too often women are told to ignore the hunger pains, they go away.. sure they do, but there is a consequence for that, and we always end up paying for it at the next binge. By fueling your body properly, hitting that TDEE, you will find the binges stop happening.. the cravings stop happening, your body is THANKFUL for the energy you are giving it.

If seeing the scale weight creep up might bother you, Id suggest putting the scale away for a while. It will not be the way to determine how your body reacts to a reset at this point. The metabolism is so damaged that it will take time and patience to get it back to running the way it should be. Just trust the process, trust that we have paved the way ahead of you and will help guide you through:)

Any questions, feel free to ask:) Feel free to send a friend request as well:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great job making your mind over you want to do it more reasonably.

Now just the fun of putting it into practice!

Glad to see body responding already, your workouts have probably gotten better and activity level increased somewhat - so current level of eating isn't enough now - but at least getting good signals about being hungry.
    Though there again - you listen to your body with your brain - and know the reasons why it may seem to be fooling you, or speaking truth.

When you finally reach TDEE up there somewhere - you'll come to fully appreciate that you can eat more than bare minimum and still lose fat weight - and do a better job of transforming your body at the same time.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So glad you have found us! Feel free to send a friend request ... we are here to support you :-)
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!! If you need support, you will for sure find it here! They have been an amazing group of people to me, and i love em all to pieces! I'll send you a FR!
  • obxsrfrgrl
    obxsrfrgrl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kerry, so happy you're here! We were all you at one point and everyone is great about offering good advice and giving support when you need it. :smile: Feel free to send a friend request and keep us updated!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi Kerry
    So glad you found your way here.
    I would say concentrate on one thing at a time, so for you, that would be to keep on increasing your calories slowly as you have been doing up to TDEE. Your energy and workouts will love you for it!
    I'll send you a FR. You are sure to get all the support you need here. <3
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you all for your replies and support. I also accepted friend requests from those of you that sent them :smile: I'm going to stop this insane bingeing and keep creeping up slowly to my estimated TDEE. I believe this is what I need to do and I'm encouraged by all of your successes. I have read the reset guide and downloaded the quick start guide online.

Question.. do I HAVE TO buy the book to be able to do this? Also how many of you are using the EM2WL website and forums? Would you recommend using that as well or can I get all I need from this group?

Another question.. I am going to continue my 5x5 program 3 x week but was reading that they suggest adding in a HIIT 2 x week when you're cutting. Do you suggest doing the HIIT during the reset phase? Or should I wait until I start my cut?

Thank you again!
    Kerry
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    So my average NET CALORIES for the last 30 days is 1565. This was done with VERY ACCURATE Logging/weighing of food etc. So I know this is correct. Clearly improved from 1200 but still not enough.

I have my cal goals set this week to 1780. I don't have any accurate data the last few days as I wasn't logging my food correctly because I was ashamed of the binges.

I've heard a couple different recommendations.. add 100cals/?day? until I reach my estimated TDEE or add 200cals/day until I reach it.

Am I reading this correctly? I should be adding that much per DAY?
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »
    So my average NET CALORIES for the last 30 days is 1565. This was done with VERY ACCURATE Logging/weighing of food etc. So I know this is correct. Clearly improved from 1200 but still not enough.

I have my cal goals set this week to 1780. I don't have any accurate data the last few days as I wasn't logging my food correctly because I was ashamed of the binges.

I've heard a couple different recommendations.. add 100cals/?day? until I reach my estimated TDEE or add 200cals/day until I reach it.

Am I reading this correctly? I should be adding that much per DAY?

For me I added 100 calories per day and stayed there for one week. So if you are averaging 1565 per day. Next week go to 1665 per day and stay there for one week, the week after that go to 1765 per day and stay there for a week. So on and so forth until you get to your TDEE. I recommend you use Heybales spreadsheet to get a good idea of what your TDEE is. Now if only I could find that link lol
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @justsayinisall I did three different calculators.. I think since I'm already shooting for 1780 this week and finding myself starving and bingeing I'm going to keep it there this week and just log accurately. Then I'll increase next week.

Scoobyworkshop BMR 1418, TDEE 2199
    EM2WL BMR 1418, TDEE 2199
    Heybales BMR 1351, TDEE 2062

Here's Heybales doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Kerryatoon , yes eat 100 cals extra per day for a week, just like Justsayinisall said. If you are hungry, eat a bit more, go for 200 extra a day. Those hungers cues are a good sign that your body is alive and reacting to the changes. Don't be afraid. Seems a lot because you have been undereating for so long, but it is not.

The 5x5 is a great idea for now and I don't see a need to add HIIT for now. You could do once or twice a week, but make sure you are picking the right activity level, you are increasing your calories, not doing a cut. If you like doing HIIT and it makes you happy do it, but it's not necessary.

You can start with the free guide and do your own research on the EM2WL site or buy the starter ebook wth all the information ready for you. It's a great read and will provide you with specific information and what to expect on this journey. It's all up to you, both will work.

The EM2WL forum is excellent, easy to research and navigate. The best part is the motivational/diary sub-forum. Lots of EM2ELers telling their journey stories from the get go and updating frequently. You will also find lots of support and friends there.

Don't be ashamed of anything, we all have been there. By fueling and feeding your body properly, the cravings and binges will subside, trust me. Eventually binge will not be part of your life. You will indulge sometimes, but that's a whole different story!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    Options
    You've been netting 1565 - and therefore eating back exercise calories too?
    Was the 1200 also NET? But eating level actually higher?

So what has been the total eaten - you may actually not be that far off from TDEE?
    This confuses many by MFP's way of doing it - they see the net amount appears small - but because of logging exercise or Fitbit adjustments - they rarely if ever actually eat that low, and are always 200-500 more - if they actually meet the MFP goal.

So remember the TDEE method includes planned exercise, you don't need to add back exercise calories.
    But, if you have been eating them back prior - then don't drop back to 1565 to start working your way up.
    Start at whatever the average total eaten is and work up from there - may be closer than you think.

The extra calories is daily for a week at time. So you can figure out where to put those 100-200 extra calories for a week before the next increase.

Really, the small increase is best for only about 2 weeks to convince body more food is constant, and start topping off glucose stores with attached water - that increases LBM. But that's only 1-2 lbs at most.
    On 3rd week might as well increase by 250 if still room to go.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @heybales I was attempting to use a TDEE so I wasn't logging exercise calories (I don't have a fitbit)

Average last 30 days
    Net Cals - 1565
    Cals Eaten - 1603

it seems that I logged one workout

So it seems to me that sticking with the 1780 for this week is a good place to start. Then I will go up to 1880 for the next week. Is that right?
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @heybales the 1200 was definitely net. At that point I was still logging exercise and eating back 1/2 to all exercise cals.
  • heybales
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good, so not as low as many go.

So your first week or more increase was from 1600 to 1780 - good amount - 180 cal increase actually.
    Could even do that 2 weeks.

I'd suggest make it 1900 next, only 120 increase then.
    Then 2100 the week after and you are there at estimated TDEE and starting the reset time.
    By the time of the 200 cal increase week, you'll know where to get extra calories from.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good morning, I had a really good lift session last night. (definitely happy with my strength gains in only my 7th week of Stronglifts)

Barbell squats: 5x5 115lbs
    Bench press: 2x5 80, 3x5 75
    Barbell rows: 5x6 55

Got in healthy cals and met my macros yesterday but I am finding that I'm starving after my weight sessions!
    Either need to save a couple hundred cals for after or I need to just do the rip the bandaid off and go up to my estimated TDEE. After all was said and done I ended up eating 2050 cals yesterday anyhow. Not sure which way to go with this.. suggestions?

Took some progress pics because I was feeling a little discouraged and I could definitely see some good things. Feeling better about what I'm doing here today.
  • heybales
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You need enough fuel to do a good workout - but indeed more after to aid recovery is better.

So some may find a snack 1-2 hrs prior is good, another snack and meal and snack after is needed too.

If you can arrange normal meals/snacks to aid in getting a good workout, and indeed have more for afterwards - it generally works better.
    This is especially needed when you go to deficit eating and must cut from somewhere.

Your muscles do better getting fuel afterwards - only your blood sugar and brain benefit from fueling before, your muscles got enough energy to do the workout, you feeling like you can do it can be aided.