After finding my TDEE, I'm considering a slow cut - thoughts/feedback?

Options

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    A quick update - I had a maintenance/planned week off last week when I had friends in town which meant more eating out (so they could eat yummy off-island food).

I was able to get to the gym once for a great upper body workout and then went on 2 hikes (1 pretty steep up a mountain for 45 min, then 35 min down; 1 hike was for about an hour with less steep sections) and I ate pretty freely at a bit above maintenance. I was eating out more so it was tough to be sure of my exact intake. In those 7 days, I gained 1.4 lbs. Which to be honest is probably mostly water weight - the next few days will tell if it starts to drop off.

I'm so thankful to have been shown this way of eating/lifestyle so that I can truly eat and enjoy my workouts too. I may not be where I'd like to be but I'm on the right path and most importantly I know its a lifestyle that I can maintain when I get there.

Had to share - hope you all are having an awesome day!!

Yay for enjoying life and feels and good about it! What a great mindset change it is to be able to take this planned time off to refeed you heart, body and soul! Nice NSV!

I must agree that the weight change is water weight and will go down quickly.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @jennifer_Lynn_1982 how's everything going? How are you feeling?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo Things are going well for the most part. I seem to be going up and down with the same 1.5 lbs but I'm getting back with consistency at the gym so I'll give it a few weeks before making any adjustments. I'm feeling strong - really strong so I'm still really enjoying my time at the gym.

Thanks so much for checking in!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Feeling strong is awesome, hard to beat that feeling! The stronger you feel, the more you can do, the more you do, the more you can add muscle mass and increase your metabolism, which is what will help you change your body composition.

I'm glad to hear things are going well and you are being consistent at the gym. The up and down of the scale is pretty much fluctuation, water weight, specially after strength training workouts. Have you taken pictures so you can compare later on? How about measurements? They tell the story much better than the scale.

Thanks so much for your update!

Tereza
    EM2WL Ambassador and Team Member
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    @TerezaToledo - so true!! I've been feeling really strong lately and my body seems to be shaping up differently now (finally). I have been tracking my measurements every week and have been seeing those numbers go down - I'm down about 10" since October (bust, chest, hips, waist & legs) which I'm thrilled about!

PS - I had a PR on bench press last night - 1 set, 5x115# - super pumped for that! I haven't tested my bench press in about a month so I was super happy to see that many reps on a weight I hadn't tested before. My previous best was 1 set, 5x105#.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Wow, wow, wowza on the bench!!! Isn't the feeling amazing?! And feeling steong at the gym ends up making you feel stronger in life! It's not just about food and how we look, it goes way beyond that. This lifestyle changes everything, makes us stronger, more comfident, happier!

10" is excellent, way to go, girl! Yes, lifting changes the body in ways we never imagined. I remember in the begining, the first thing that caught my attention was that my butt was fighting gravity and getting higher, lol. That was 5 years ago and I still remember the day I looked at the gym window and noticed that. Clothes will definitely becomes loser and tighter in different spots, but mostly in a good way. It takes time and patience, but those changes are for life, not just a temporary thing. The longer you continue eating and lifting, the more positive results you will see.

Can I repost your NSV's?

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks Tereza! Yes you're definitely able to repost my NSV's!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Woo! Great PR! Are you still in a deficit too?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I am in a deficit yes @saranharm. I'm playing around with my calories a bit with some calorie cycling. More of a deficit on lighter days (arms, shoulders, rest days) and less of a deficit on heavier work days (legs, cardio). It's only been 4 days though with calorie cycling.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Reposting my response to Tereza's article this morning about self love/loathing....a great reminder to reflect on what your true goals are when t comes to fitness. Thank you for sharing @terezatoledo

"Thank you for this @terezatoledo! I needed this article this morning to remind myself of my journey and why I'm on it. I had a good weigh in this morning - down 0.5 lbs this week and down 0.5-1" on my measurements - but then I took the first pictures I've taken in months and didn't see the progress I thought I had had. I have to remind myself to stay the course - quick fixes aren't long term and I'm in this for the long term!"
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 How's everything with you? Goals for the week? How have you been feeling? Nice workout today!
    On the progress pics, a lot of times we are not able to see the progress ourselves, it takes someone else to see it.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thank you for your message @TerezaToledo - things are going a lot better this week. Last week was a bit of a tough week. I worked out on Monday, Tuesday I fell off for a few days but made it back on Friday and have been consistent this week. Honestly, I think I needed a bit of a break although I still logged but ate closer at maintenance. This week my goals are to get in a few more workouts and keep the consistency on my intake as well. I'm feeling lighter/firmer already. Funny how you can weigh in 1 day and be 1 lbs heavier than the next - proof that sodium, rest, and so much more goes into your scale readings. The scale means nothing!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 , tighter, firmer, lighter, those are always awesome ways to feel, yay! The scale does not tell the story, it changes depending on the time of the day, lbs at a time. Pictures and measurements are way more reliable and tell more about what's really going on. Rest and diet breaks are as important as sticking to your workouts and macros. They help you recharge and get stronger to get back to it. We always recommend one or two weeks eating at maintenance every 8 to 12 weeks. Same thing for rests.
    Check out this article about diet breaks: http://eatmore2weighless.com/diet-break-just-hype/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thank you @TerezaToledo for that! Diet brakes are so helpful! I agree!

So an update for the week, I'm down about 1-2 lbs since my last entry. Might be a bit too much of a drop but still trying to figure out my calories/workouts. I'm feeling strong at the gym although I've transitioned to more of a hypertrophy program. I'm liking the change of pace though!

Question for you (anyone/everyone who wants to comment): my boyfriend proposed to me this weekend (so exciting!!)....so now I will have a bit of change in focus on my goals as it will shift to looking beautiful in a wedding dress. How do you keep focused on long term goals while keeping in mind short term goals?
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats!! Totally exciting...One word: VEGAS (totally less stress and much cheaper lol)

Goals? Hmmm. Well I guess I don't really have goals. I mean I want to eat as healthy as I can, work out as best I can...but it's all for THAT day. Just get through each day doing the best you can.

I think setting any "long" term goals is just setting yourself up for disappointment if you can't achieve them, because you know, life gets in the way. And when you can't achieve your goals you will end up berating yourself, playing that awful, "you're a loser" tape in your head...

Just do the best you can today...worry about tomorrow/next week/next month/next year...NEVER!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @jennifer_lynn_1982 I saw the proposal pics on Ig and awwwwwwww, so romantic! That's very exciting! Congratulations!
    1-2lbs drop is great. When I was losing weight, it was never linear. I'd stay the same for a couple of weeks, then drop and sometimes it would be 2 a a time. There are so many variations, water, sodium, TOM, strenght training, you are doing great! Good to hear you are feeling strong at the gym! That's always a wonderful NSV!

First, what are your short terms goals? What are your long term goals? Where do you want to get? To look fit and strong in the dress? Than, when is the big date? How much time do you have? You are beautiful and will look stunning in a dress, no matter what!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!

You will look beautiful in your dress!

When is the big day? I guess I would say just keep on doing what you are doing. Aren't you getting close to your goal?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    @justsayinisall - I'm tempted, believe me. The costs for weddings here in Vancouver are crazy!!

@TerezaToledo - thank you for your kind words! Yes, was super romantic (and a bit cold in the rain but I didn't care)! My short term goals is to stay the course, stay committed and intentional with my habits and to look good and feel good in my dress. My long term goals still remain the same: to become a lean, mean, strength machine :) The big day hasn't been picked yet (depends on the venue) but I'd say within the next 3-8 months.

@saranharm - yes, I'm getting close. I'm about 154 lbs now and want to get to a comfortable size 6 which I think will be around 145 lbs so I'm close.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 You are right in track and I think the best is to keep up with the plan. Make sure you periodize your workouts to get the max benefits. You are close to your goal and doing a great job!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

And that goal is so obtainable.

Besides - with the good lifting you'll easily look like you lost more because of inches than you may because of pounds.

Just watch out for changed activity level (I could see wedding planning causing more sitting) needing to change eating level to keep the deficit in place.
    As well as possibly eating out more with others in preparing causing more inaccuracy in food logging.