124»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @tigerblue
    tigerblue wrote: »
    1. What made you accept the invitation or join?

Your "lean people getting leaner" post was awesome, and along with a few other MFP "guides", really changed my perspective on fitness. I want to be a part of what comes out of that!

Well thanks. I always appreciate when people read my stuff more than words can describe.
    I had been very successful losing down to a healthy weight using MFP but suddenly two years later started gaining. While supposedly not changing anything! In retrospect I would say it was/is perimenopause combined with perhaps under eating and overtraining. It didn't seem to be too much training at the time, but I believe the added stress of the hormonal changes tipped me over the edge. Since then I have spent the past four years trying to find my way, fitness wise, and have finally started making progress again (after gaining for nearly 4 years!).

Love it. Not that you struggled, but that you opened up to the possibility to learning in the face of struggle. This tends to be a difference maker - some people retreat as their egos and identities are challenged. Others put on their thinking caps, accept the reality of the situation, and recalibrate.
    2. What's your biggest challenge when it comes to your fitness?

Schedules. I am only nominally in control of my time, as my family and work get first dibs! I have two active teen boys, with lots of events to see and practices to attend. One is now driving, but the other has to be taxi-ed about, plus homework, projects, providing for their and hubby's needs, etc. the schedule is a struggle for exercise, for eating right, for sleeping, and for not getting too stressed out. Some weeks survival is the only goal.

Can definitely relate to this challenge. And I know it'll only get worse as my children get older.

I find having fallback plans for workouts, where it's some abbreviated version of what I had planned, helps tremendously. I make the barrier to entry so low it's hard to not at least do my fallback workout.

I also have a dozen or so options of restaurant options that still honor my goals. I've mapped/planned them out where they fit at least my calories (though I'm not a counter I have a loose idea of what each meal contains). This way even when I'm relying on convenience food I'm still on point with the important nutrition fundamentals.
    Also, after having struggled to find my fitness path again, I still struggle with fear that I can't control my weight. Every day I have to deal with the negative thoughts that say I'm going to start gaining again, etc.

Why do you fear gaining weight?
    3. Why are you enough right now?

First, I will draw from a long-ago conversation with other young moms. We were sitting at the pool talking about how we envied the beautiful bodies of the teenage lifeguards when one wise woman spoke up and said, "Enough! My body is wonderful. I have two strong legs that allow me to do what I need for my family, and my husband finds them attractive! I am healthy and able to live life, etc. etc."

That conversation has stuck with me for more than ten years. So first, I will say that I am enough because I have a healthy body that provides for my family, and that my husband finds attractive.

Damn straight. Love insightful people like this.
    Second, I am enough because I am getting ready to launch two beautiful young men into the world in the next couple of years. I know they will do great things! I have molded (as best I could) their hearts and characters, and I have done my best by them. And they are not technically even mine! They are adopted, and it amazes me how God (I believe in God, but whatever higher power the reader believes in) could take hubby's and my loss (not being able to conceive) and turn it into gain for two boys who would just be "part of the system" now. I am doubly blessed by them and wouldn't have it any other way! (Now before you think I am unrealistic, let me just say that there are days where I would sell you two teenage boys for cheap. . . . . !)

Totally awesome. No other words.

"Why do you fear gaining weight?"

Because I have not been able to lose the gained weight for so long (4 years).

I first reached, and then exceeded my goal with MFP. Goal was 125 lbs per Dr recommendation, but I sailed right past that and easily lost another 12 pounds or so landing me at 112 lbs without really trying. It probably had something to do with the fact that I took up running as a hobby around that time, while still using MFP to count calories and eat back exercise calories. But I probably was at that point burning more calories than I thought because I was such a newbie, and pretty out of shape! Anyway, I easily floated between 112-115 for another year. Anytime I approached 115 for several days, I would just cut back the eating, and it would come right back off. No problem. I thought I had the magic formula!

And then suddenly without warning, it changed. I gained about 5 lbs on vacation, and instead of it coming off when I got home, it just kept going up, and up, and up, and I couldn't make it change. No matter how little I ate or how much I exercised. That is where I feel like my hormones shifted, plus maybe I was overtraining, etc?

Anyway, it has only been in the last year that my body has started reacting in a predictable way again, after much study and adjustment in what I was doing. It really only started working when I "gave up"! But psychologically I keep waiting for it to rebel again! I think with time and proper results I will finally be more at ease again.

And thank you for your kind words regarding my family.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I hope this hasn't already fizzled out...

I've followed the "relatively lean getting leaner" thread for years and appreciate Steve's simple and scientifically sound advice - especially incorporating the mental aspects and being kind to yourself.

Caring about it? I'm a healthy weight (5'5", 135) and make activity a regular part of my day via walking to work and walking the dog. In the back of my mind though I always want to get just a little ripped, or lose a couple more pounds, but end of the day I just don't care enough and would rather have that hour to veg or read something fun.

I have a strong marriage, good friends and a career I like. Seems like a good foundation to me.

4. How do you define a successful day in your life?
    Probably not a "good" answer, but it's very much tied to my work. Did I make enough progress on a project? Then it was a successful day. Everything else is taken for granted.

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Finally getting around to this...summer is crazy!

1. I'm in new fitness territory now and am looking to learn from others.

2. Shifting my mindset from running as the be-all, end-all of my exercise and distance races as how I mark my fitness. I started lifting 3 months ago and enjoy the challenge (and the way my body is changing), but it is a mental shift, but when I felt weak after having my last baby, I knew I needed to focus on building strength and muscle.

I'm also a homeschooling SAHM of four boys 6 and under, so fitting in workouts, school, and everything else can be challenging.

3. The hugs and smiles from my kids tell me I'm enough. Not perfect, but enough :smile:

4. Spending quality time with each of my kids and my husband, doing schoolwork with the big kids, getting in some of my own reading and a workout, getting my everyday chores done, talking with and/or helping someone outside of my immediate family. That's a good, solid day.

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    @tigerblue

Your "lean people getting leaner" post was awesome, and along with a few other MFP "guides", really changed my perspective on fitness. I want to be a part of what comes out of that!

Well thanks. I always appreciate when people read my stuff more than words can describe.
    I had been very successful losing down to a healthy weight using MFP but suddenly two years later started gaining. While supposedly not changing anything! In retrospect I would say it was/is perimenopause combined with perhaps under eating and overtraining. It didn't seem to be too much training at the time, but I believe the added stress of the hormonal changes tipped me over the edge. Since then I have spent the past four years trying to find my way, fitness wise, and have finally started making progress again (after gaining for nearly 4 years!).

Love it. Not that you struggled, but that you opened up to the possibility to learning in the face of struggle. This tends to be a difference maker - some people retreat as their egos and identities are challenged. Others put on their thinking caps, accept the reality of the situation, and recalibrate.

Schedules. I am only nominally in control of my time, as my family and work get first dibs! I have two active teen boys, with lots of events to see and practices to attend. One is now driving, but the other has to be taxi-ed about, plus homework, projects, providing for their and hubby's needs, etc. the schedule is a struggle for exercise, for eating right, for sleeping, and for not getting too stressed out. Some weeks survival is the only goal.

Can definitely relate to this challenge. And I know it'll only get worse as my children get older.

I find having fallback plans for workouts, where it's some abbreviated version of what I had planned, helps tremendously. I make the barrier to entry so low it's hard to not at least do my fallback workout.

I also have a dozen or so options of restaurant options that still honor my goals. I've mapped/planned them out where they fit at least my calories (though I'm not a counter I have a loose idea of what each meal contains). This way even when I'm relying on convenience food I'm still on point with the important nutrition fundamentals.
    Also, after having struggled to find my fitness path again, I still struggle with fear that I can't control my weight. Every day I have to deal with the negative thoughts that say I'm going to start gaining again, etc.

First, I will draw from a long-ago conversation with other young moms. We were sitting at the pool talking about how we envied the beautiful bodies of the teenage lifeguards when one wise woman spoke up and said, "Enough! My body is wonderful. I have two strong legs that allow me to do what I need for my family, and my husband finds them attractive! I am healthy and able to live life, etc. etc."

That conversation has stuck with me for more than ten years. So first, I will say that I am enough because I have a healthy body that provides for my family, and that my husband finds attractive.

Second, I am enough because I am getting ready to launch two beautiful young men into the world in the next couple of years. I know they will do great things! I have molded (as best I could) their hearts and characters, and I have done my best by them. And they are not technically even mine! They are adopted, and it amazes me how God (I believe in God, but whatever higher power the reader believes in) could take hubby's and my loss (not being able to conceive) and turn it into gain for two boys who would just be "part of the system" now. I am doubly blessed by them and wouldn't have it any other way! (Now before you think I am unrealistic, let me just say that there are days where I would sell you two teenage boys for cheap. . . . . !)

I first reached, and then exceeded my goal with MFP. Goal was 125 lbs per Dr recommendation, but I sailed right past that and easily lost another 12 pounds or so landing me at 112 lbs without really trying. It probably had something to do with the fact that I took up running as a hobby around that time, while still using MFP to count calories and eat back exercise calories. But I probably was at that point burning more calories than I thought because I was such a newbie, and pretty out of shape! Anyway, I easily floated between 112-115 for another year. Anytime I approached 115 for several days, I would just cut back the eating, and it would come right back off. No problem. I thought I had the magic formula!

And then suddenly without warning, it changed. I gained about 5 lbs on vacation, and instead of it coming off when I got home, it just kept going up, and up, and up, and I couldn't make it change. No matter how little I ate or how much I exercised. That is where I feel like my hormones shifted, plus maybe I was overtraining, etc?

Anyway, it has only been in the last year that my body has started reacting in a predictable way again, after much study and adjustment in what I was doing. It really only started working when I "gave up"! But psychologically I keep waiting for it to rebel again! I think with time and proper results I will finally be more at ease again.

@tigerblue

Interesting... you feel that something happened to your regulatory systems over vacation. As in, it was that acute?

Secondly, you say your body only started acting predictably again after you gave up. Did "giving up" entail eating more and exercising less?
  • stroutman81
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I hope this hasn't already fizzled out...

@WestCoastJo82

Momentarily but let's try and get it back. I think there's still some red embers we can fan. :)
    I've followed the "relatively lean getting leaner" thread for years and appreciate Steve's simple and scientifically sound advice - especially incorporating the mental aspects and being kind to yourself.

Thanks! Yeah, the mental aspect of all this is the most interesting to me. I've lost interest for the most part of the nitty gritty science pertaining to training and diet. The way I see it, if anything massively important comes out of those realms, I'll hear about it just by way of the circles I hang with. To spend a ton of time pouring over that data just doesn't help my clients the way the psychology/motivation research does.
    Caring about it? I'm a healthy weight (5'5", 135) and make activity a regular part of my day via walking to work and walking the dog. In the back of my mind though I always want to get just a little ripped, or lose a couple more pounds, but end of the day I just don't care enough and would rather have that hour to veg or read something fun.

And that's okay. I'm actually right there with you. I've been pretty ripped before but I'm not right now. And I can't rightly say that I'll ever be again. Would I like to be more ripped than I am right now? Sure. But not at the price I'd have to pay to obtain it. I have too many other things that I care about. I take a pretty balanced perspective of my values - or more importantly - my pursuit of them. Family, mountain biking, backpacking, travel, fishing, reading/learning, friends/fam, etc. I'm fit enough as I am right now to optimally pursue the things I care about.

This doesn't mean that I don't strive to become fitter. I do. I just don't care to make myself much leaner than I am right now... if that makes sense.
    I have a strong marriage, good friends and a career I like. Seems like a good foundation to me.

Agreed.
    Probably not a "good" answer, but it's very much tied to my work. Did I make enough progress on a project? Then it was a successful day. Everything else is taken for granted.

If you love your work, I'd say it's an okay answer.

But I'm sure there are ways you can take less for granted. How would you propose you start working toward this, should it be something you're interested in?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Finally getting around to this...summer is crazy!

@gradchica27

Hell yeah it is! I wouldn't have it any other way though.
    1. I'm in new fitness territory now and am looking to learn from others.

Welcome to fitness. Be careful, there are a lot of *kitten* out there. :smile:
    2. Shifting my mindset from running as the be-all, end-all of my exercise and distance races as how I mark my fitness. I started lifting 3 months ago and enjoy the challenge (and the way my body is changing), but it is a mental shift, but when I felt weak after having my last baby, I knew I needed to focus on building strength and muscle.

Great job expanding your approach. Your body will thank you later for the strength, resiliency, stronger bones and connective tissue, better functionality, faster metabolism, etc.
    I'm also a homeschooling SAHM of four boys 6 and under, so fitting in workouts, school, and everything else can be challenging.

Four boys, huh? Three girls here.

I understand the challenge though. How consistent would you say you are?
    3. The hugs and smiles from my kids tell me I'm enough. Not perfect, but enough :smile:

Great answer.

And eff perfect. That'd be boring.
    4. Spending quality time with each of my kids and my husband, doing schoolwork with the big kids, getting in some of my own reading and a workout, getting my everyday chores done, talking with and/or helping someone outside of my immediate family. That's a good, solid day.

Agreed.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I understand the challenge though. How consistent would you say you are?

This summer has been great for working out--I lift MWF, usually run or do some sort of cardio T/R, try a slightly longer run on Saturday when I can, take Sunday off.

The extra T/R cardio has mostly been at the gym (running/stairs/bike) bc it is so terribly hot here we can't go outside in the afternoon for long and we need to leave the house. I think when school ramps up and fall starts with good weather and activities, I will likely end up doing some videos at home T/R before the kids wake up. I'd rather have them outside than at the gym childcare! I'd like to run or bike in the am, but I can't quite get myself up early enough to be back before my husband has to leave (so by 5:45).
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    @tigerblue

@tigerblue

Interesting... you feel that something happened to your regulatory systems over vacation. As in, it was that acute?

Secondly, you say your body only started acting predictably again after you gave up. Did "giving up" entail eating more and exercising less?

@stroutman81

Let me try to explain. Understand I am going from memory from 5-6 years ago.

As to my "regulatory system" changing suddenly--logically speaking it is not likely that it happened that way. But that is how it felt! Basically, when I finished my initial weight loss, I was eating 1200 calories, plus workout calories. Based on the bmr calculators this was probably reasonable for loss, as I weighed 112 lbs at the end (for reference, most charts say that for my build and height, a healthy weight is from about 100-115 or so. I am pretty small--5'2.5" with small bones. My wrists and ankles look child-size, and my hands are smaller than my sons hands were at age 7. (Now, he has huge hands, but still!). Maybe that gives some perspective.). Anyway, I was eating a total of probably 1400 cals a day most days. And I was losing a pound about every 3 or so weeks.

So when I switched to maintenance I set my goal for 1400 plus exercise (perhaps 1380--I'm going from memory here) which was about 100 cals below MFP recommendation, and I continued to eat my exercise calories back. So now I was eating around 1600 cals. I set the goal for 100 cals low to compensate for logging error. When I went on vacation that year, I switched the goal to exactly whatever MFP recommended. And gained. Which at the time I felt was no big deal. I thought I would switch back to 1200 and eat back exercise and the weight would come right off, as before. But it didn't. And I experimented with even going a bit below 1200 (I like to eat, so really I never ate fewer than around 1300-1400 calories total with any regularity!). At any rate the weight wouldn't come off. I discovered the eat more to lose concept, tried it, and just continued to gain. (More of a two steps back, one step forward sort of pattern) I got offended by the eat more forum, because I was tiny compared to many of them, but they never could admit that eat more for me didn't mean eat 2500 cals! I even had someone finally admit that she had more lean mass than I had total weight, but still could not see that I couldn't eat so high! I think the forum is better now, and more tailored to individuals! But that was frustrating and somewhat misleading too!

I also used a very expensive and ugly BodyMedia activity monitor for awhile. For some reason it was waaay off for me. It was reading upwards of 2500 cals most days. I would eat 1800-1900 and gain. Who knows why it was so far off. The only way I could get any calculator to give me that kind of number was to input 3-4 hours of exercise a day! Which I wasn't doing! I bought a Misfit monitor about 18 months ago, and it gives me anywhere from 1600-2100 calories per day, depending on activity. Most days it reads 1700-1800. Unless I have a long run.

So it definitely seemed that the system suddenly changed. But I know there likely were other factors--like logging error, both for food, and for exercise. I am definitely much better at logging now. I do think that perhaps there was a hormonal shift around that time. I am 48 now, and have definitely been feeling the effects of hormonal shifts for several years now! And there is some real research out there on how perimenopause and menopause affect metabolism, insulin resistance, cortisol, etc. and the news is not good!

As to how "giving up" affected the whole process:

When I say I gave up, what I really mean was I changed my goals (especially the goals in my mind, not just MFP numbers) to maintaining my weight. I was just too frustrated at trying so hard, and hoping to see the scale move, and then it not moving. It felt like failure. So at least with changing my goal to maintenance, I feel successful! Which has gotta help in the stress department! I am pretty close to right where I was last year, and that is a success, since for the last four years I have seen an uptick of 5-7 lbs each year!

Also, I feel success in this, because for the first time since the re-gain started, my body actually did what was predicted by the amount I ate and exercised. I have maintained while eating within about 100-200 (either side) of what my activity monitor says I burn. (Most days I eat between 1600-1900, except lately I have been trying to drop my latest vacation gain--all inclusive eats and drinks for a week--oh my!!). I feel like I am within a reasonable margin of error.

During this time I have focused on logging accuracy (I have to admit that has been part of my whole problem--that was hard for me to admit!) and strength training, I have cut back some on cardio, which is easier, since my eating goal is already bigger at maintenance than it was at deficit. For a small middle aged gal, it is difficult to eat within goal without supplementing with a good bit of cardio. My sedentary goal even now at 134 lbs is still just around 1500 calories, and with some strength training plus a bit of non exercise activity, my entire goal is around 1650-1700 most days. And, as I mentioned, I like to eat!!! Plus, eating is such a social and familial thing. We celebrate with food (tomorrow oldest son is turning 18--so of course there will be a huge meal!), and it gets old having to refuse anything and everything yummy! So at maintenance I can cut some cardio, and still eat more normally, but not at deficit. Plus by cutting some cardio, I have more time to focus on strength training. (Let me just admit that I really don't like strength training of any kind. Not lifting, not bodyweight HIIT, not circuit training, not boot camp type workouts. Although the intense circuit training seems to work best for me as far as results. But I do it faithfully because I know I must, both to maintain my weight and fitness, and because I know that having tiny bones means I need it more than anyone!)

But really, except for a couple of times I never got really crazy with cardio. Most of the time I was running about 15 miles a week. Except last summer when I made it a goal to be able to add distance. Last summer I was running perhaps 25-30 miles a week. And gaining weight!

Anyway, sorry to be so long, but I hope this explains where I am coming from.

I've been trying to cut some fat this summer, since I have time to do strength plus a little cardio--like a 20 minute run (during the school year it is one or the other). I have one more vacation next week, which I am sure will involve eating and drinking. I will do a bit of damage control when I return (I still can't seem to lose predictably, but it is better than before) and then transition into maintenance and focus heavily on strength training in the fall.

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How often do you reflect on what you did well?

probably not as often as I could. more often than a lot of people though because I've had no choice but to develop pretty sharp self awareness as a result of constantly working on myself due to mental health issues.

There are some pretty decent journaling apps that cue you to check in with yourself daily. Not sure if that's something that resonates with you.

didn't mean to ignore you, I've just completely forgotten to check in on my groups!

journalling apps are not something I knew existed. is there one you would recommend?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I'm a fan of your blog and the straight up information you provide on the forums.

I feel like I'm in a great place right now in terms of my fitness. It's my first time in about 5 years coming off the end of a football (Aussie Rules) season with no significant injuries to rehab (still 1-2 more games depending on finals to change that - knock on wood). I have also invested in S&C programming that I love so I'm looking forward to what the off-season holds. So my answer would usually be injuries but at the moment the challenge is food and alcohol. Week days are fine but weekends and social situations can blow out.

I'm not perfect and never will be but the older I get the more I realise that I've managed to become someone that I'm proud to be in many aspects of my life and that other people look up to. Turning 30 this year has made me reflect on what I've done over the last decade and, looking back there are things I may have done differently with hindsight but I'm largely happy with what I've achieved and done. I have a sense of balance between work and enjoyment that I am content with.

Some days success is crushing it at work, training, food and my personal relationships and some days it's just not succumbing to the urge to crawl up in a ball, call in sick, do nothing and eat chocolate for every meal. A good day/week is just finding the right balance between hard work and having fun/relaxation.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    How often do you reflect on what you did well?

probably not as often as I could. more often than a lot of people though because I've had no choice but to develop pretty sharp self awareness as a result of constantly working on myself due to mental health issues.

There are some pretty decent journaling apps that cue you to check in with yourself daily. Not sure if that's something that resonates with you.

didn't mean to ignore you, I've just completely forgotten to check in on my groups!

journalling apps are not something I knew existed. is there one you would recommend?

I like 5 minute journal. But I hear Day One 2 is awesome too.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

I'm a fan of your blog and the straight up information you provide on the forums.

I appreciate that. I wish I could find the time to get active around here (this group and the main forums) again.

I feel like I'm in a great place right now in terms of my fitness. It's my first time in about 5 years coming off the end of a football (Aussie Rules) season with no significant injuries to rehab (still 1-2 more games depending on finals to change that - knock on wood). I have also invested in S&C programming that I love so I'm looking forward to what the off-season holds. So my answer would usually be injuries but at the moment the challenge is food and alcohol. Week days are fine but weekends and social situations can blow out.

Nice! Way to go making it through without injury. That's awesome. What S&C programming are you using?

I'm not perfect and never will be but the older I get the more I realise that I've managed to become someone that I'm proud to be in many aspects of my life and that other people look up to. Turning 30 this year has made me reflect on what I've done over the last decade and, looking back there are things I may have done differently with hindsight but I'm largely happy with what I've achieved and done. I have a sense of balance between work and enjoyment that I am content with.

This is something I can relate to. The older I get, the more I realize that the goal isn't so much a concrete destination but rather a state of being.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I'll post a link to this on my feed, maybe a few others could use the support.

1. Wondered in
    2. Eating so little, running so much that I lose a few pounds and magically look like Deana Pastor/Lauren Fleshman :wink: ya, I'm serous. But I'm open to changing my view, I'm here! Since I want to eat more than my goal.
    3. Eh, I'm a little broken right now physically. Still recovering from surgery. No real answer here... Um, I can offer support and learn.
    4. Run, calorie deficit, good food choices. Maybe the scale plummets a few pounds.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'll post a link to this on my feed, maybe a few others could use the support.

1. Wondered in
    2. Eating so little, running so much that I lose a few pounds and magically look like Deana Pastor/Lauren Fleshman :wink: ya, I'm serous. But I'm open to changing my view, I'm here! Since I want to eat more than my goal.
    3. Eh, I'm a little broken right now physically. Still recovering from surgery. No real answer here... Um, I can offer support and learn.
    4. Run, calorie deficit, good food choices. Maybe the scale plummets a few pounds.

Welcome aboard. I'm glad you wandered in @Elise4270. Sounds like you've been facing some challenging times. Part of the ride we call life, ya know? Cool thing about challenge is the fact that there are really great lessons embedded in them. These lessons have the power to really shape your journey going forward.

What have you learned so far during these challenges?

And in all those things you listed about what defines a successful day for you... I didn't see anything about feeling your best and loving yourself. Maybe I'm reading into it... but it almost sounds like you want to wrestle your body into compliance.

Any particular reactions to that commentary?