Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Hope that everyone had an awesome weekend!
  • sweetiebt
    sweetiebt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone....I fell off the wagon and now REALLY want to get back on! I feel so much better when I embrace the keto diet. I just find I don't have the time to plan sufficiently to keep it up...lack of planning = looking for last minute lunch or dinner solutions which turns into fast food or a quick spaghetti meal for me and the kids :-/
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Such a good feeling to walk past a potential trigger food at the market and not give in to the rationalizations in my mind. After putting together a good maintenence day, including food, activities, and such that was a win for me. I feel like I have weathered the storm of whatever it was that screwed up my keto world these past few months, and now it's all coming back together. Even better than before. Awesome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    sweetiebt wrote: »
    Ok everyone....I fell off the wagon and now REALLY want to get back on! I feel so much better when I embrace the keto diet. I just find I don't have the time to plan sufficiently to keep it up...lack of planning = looking for last minute lunch or dinner solutions which turns into fast food or a quick spaghetti meal for me and the kids :-/

@sweetiebt - At fast food, my favorite things are bunless burgers, eating just the roast beef at Arby's, taco salad without the shell/beans, Caesar salad without the croutons, any egg/bacon/sausage type of deal (just ditch the carby stuff), etc. Add fatty sauces (mayo, butter, extra dressing, sour cream, guacamole, etc.)

Also, they have stuff at Walmart - like salami, pepperoni, or prosciutto, wrapped around cheese, sliced meats with cheeses (I do these with pickles or mayo or cream cheese in the middle), a premade salad (can buy extra shredded cheese, canned/pouched chunk chicken or tuna, extra dressing, hard boiled eggs in a pack, avocado/guacamole packets, cherry tomatoes, etc.) - just ditch the croutons, package of pork rinds with either ranch dip, French onion dip, guacamole, or just sour cream. In a pinch, the lunchable things with meat, cheese, and nuts. A can of dry roasted macadamia nuts (whole thing can be a "meal" or you can just do a serving. Duke's beef sticks. Bacon jerky. Etc.

I also batch cook, so I almost always have taco meat, ground beef, roasted chicken, or bacon available at home. Nothing quicker than bacon and eggs! Taco meat = taco salads in just a few minutes, ground beef is burger in a bowl or pizza (just cheese, some kind of sauce, meat, and seasonings), chicken dipped in butter or topped with cheese and bacon, etc. And if you absolutely have to, Atkin's has frozen meals in a pinch.

If you have 5-20 minutes, there's really no reason not to pull this off. Eat a pickle or some thawed shrimp or some lunch meat roll ups while you cook, etc. If you make spaghetti, serve the kids theirs with noodles, skip the noodles on yours, add a pat of butter, and some extra cheese and just eat the meaty sauce. It's a little carbier, depending on sauce, but it can be done! Or put the sauce on a pan, smother with cheese and any kind of meat and put in the oven, make a bubbly Italian style dish... Once you skip the carby sides, you'll figure out you fill up quicker on less food. :)
  • elize7
    Options
    Thanks Knit! I really like that idea and it seems to be playing out for me now. Can almost feel my body re-keto adapting.
    Cutting back on social things is helping. Something I want so badly in my life causes me so much stress. Still going to dance night. I seem to be able to manage that, thankfully.
    A "situaton" I am getting ready to address, and maybe let go of, is a long distance frienship. It's starting to feel like a security blanket and may in fact be keeping me from being open to something in the here and now. Because I still feel vulnerable to diet/stress/self sabotage issues I think I will keep this as a back burner issue for the moment. But, I do see that eventually letting go may be one of those painful growing type things that I will have to face.
    For now, I'm keto-sailing along, losing
    pounds, and loving it.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, I am having a problem with MFP loading. It is either not loading or loading wicked slow. Anyone else having this problem. Everything else one my computer is great.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hi friends, I'm just checking in since it's been awhile. I fell off the wagon and am actually up nearly 15lbs since this time last year. I love the idea of keto and hope to get back at it or at least something that resembles it soon. In the meantime, I hope you all keep posting and encouraging each other.
  • martinsherriffs
    martinsherriffs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas on a simple and quick keto evening meal?! Much appreciated in advance
  • elize7
    Options
    Had another good keto day. Lost about a half pound. Was happy to have a pretty lazy day, but added in a little extra salt due to feeling a little tired for a couple days. Not sure where I'm going with this post, just trying to wind down without a trip to the kitchen.
    Felt a little hungry today, so I added a couple hundred cals of fat. I'll be interested to see how that and the extra salt affects my weigh in for tomorrow.
    Feeling good about current progress, and entertaining ideas for future food and body changes in a relaxed way. (Who is this girl? It's like I'm a different person altogether...but in a very good way).
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas on a simple and quick keto evening meal?! Much appreciated in advance
    . I'm a Cobb salad queen with keto friendly mix ins, or scrambled eggs and bacon , or taco salad/bowl, or just plain ole burgers sans buns and green beans

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863

Crack slaw. I use whatever spicing I feel like at the moment. It's pretty quick and easy.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to keto, just started last week, and OMG I really love this way of eating. I miss bread and fruit but I figure I can add them back in small amounts once I've lost some of the weight. I've dropped ~10 lbs but I'm pretty sure that's just water weight. The keto flu is kind of killing me and my appetite is way down but man, I love how simple keto can be. I'm eating a lot of avocados, sausage, eggs, and tuna salad (although I had to de-carbify my tuna salad recipe, LOL), and chicharrones are my new best friend. Hope to get to know and learn from yall, although I'm kind of spotty at message boards. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. :)
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hi! Things have been kinda quiet around here but welcome. I'm finally getting back on track and I plan to post more for accountability.
  • coachingprofessionals
    Options
    Hi There I am new to the group ( will upload a photo shortly) I am wondering how you count NET carbs in my fitness pal as it appears to only count carbs with fibre? Thankyou!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    Hi all, I am new to keto, just started last week, and OMG I really love this way of eating. I miss bread and fruit but I figure I can add them back in small amounts once I've lost some of the weight. I've dropped ~10 lbs but I'm pretty sure that's just water weight. The keto flu is kind of killing me and my appetite is way down but man, I love how simple keto can be. I'm eating a lot of avocados, sausage, eggs, and tuna salad (although I had to de-carbify my tuna salad recipe, LOL), and chicharrones are my new best friend. Hope to get to know and learn from yall, although I'm kind of spotty at message boards. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. :)

@LokiGrrl - Get that salt up. The so-called keto flu is from electrolyte imbalances, and is 100% avoidable. For at least the first 12 weeks, I recommend everyone get at least 5000 mg sodium, as this way of eating naturally dumps sodium for a number of reasons, so you must add back in over and above what was previously needed. The only restriction to this is if you have a very specific type of genetic high blood pressure. For the majority of people, it isn't high sodium that causes BP spikes - but the dehydration it triggers if you don't get enough water/sodium/magnesium/potassium in balance and regularly...
  • elize7
    Options
    Having a good keto week. Can feel my body getting back into ketosis. Awesome.

After a 6 month on and off again relapse and a regain of 20 pounds, I feel like it's over.

Getting ready to shed another load of bagage along with the extra poundage to get back to my 130 pound low. Feel a little giddy about recognising some emotional shifts that are making me feel recharged and back in the saddle. Have successfully battled a few big time cravings and can almost feel the ketones rushing in to help out.

Life for me on keto is more energetic and more mood positive. I don't understand why I get swayed by my trigger foods. The past few months feel like I was in a self pitying, continuous, sugar filled brain fog. Now, I can feel it lifting and I feel very excited for myself and the possibilities for the rest of the summer.

Tally ho, pals!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - Another friend of mine recommended a book called Body Clutter... Have you read it, by any chance? Sounds like what we're all dealing with, for sure!
  • elize7
    Options
    Ha ha ha Knit! Body Clutter! Sounds like it would match up with my household and lifestyle theme! I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Another day of success. I feel like I'm in keto holyland. Yesterday, some of the cravings lessened. Still no scale, but I'm liking how that fact is keeping me honest for now. But why? I have no idea!

Slowly letting go of a particular dream that was keeping me going for awhile... Sad, but at least I accept the changes better than I used to. So, there is a wide open dreamspace in my heart that is looking to be filled. Instead of forcing it, I'm going to just lean back and see what comes my way.

I'm a little disappointed that I have such a hard time doing things for myself based on my own self love. I don't seem interesting enough or important enough to be happy giving myself centerstage. I do not like that fact, but it's true. Hence, I'm always driven by external motivators. I'm thinking this might be a good "fake it til you make it" moment.
    Out of the shadows into the sunlight!
    Which reminds me, I really do need to work on getting a tan for the summer!

Have some fun today, pals!
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Looking for some Keto friends with open diarys!