What MA and rank are you?

123457»

Replies

• danaweiss580
    danaweiss580 Posts: 7 Member
    2nd degree black in Shaolin Kenpo and 3rd degree brown in Shaolin Kung Fu. I was out of it for a while. I just started Kung Fu and Tai Chi about a year ago. I had my knee replaced in January, but I am back at it. I am obsessed.
  • MaraAraLara
    MaraAraLara Posts: 10 Member
    Choy Li Fut ( Kung Fu) Just got my orange belt. Also do kickboxing at my partners club. Have tried MMA & Karate. Love watching UFC!
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Krav Maga (white belt) had my first stripe test last night and passed. Trying for yellow belt. Eventually want to get to black if possible. School is expensive as hell though >:(
  • Gobrox
    Gobrox Posts: 1 Member
    I do Shuri Ryu Karate(san kyu) and judo(yan kyu). I do a separate ground grappling class as well.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    BJJ, blue belt (no stripes)
  • LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Will be testing for my 3rd Dan in TKD in December.. God willing. Got bad infection and was in hospital 10 days 6 weeks out from the last test. Needless to say do not even attempt it then.
    LRH64
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    3rd Degree Brown in American Kenpo, going for my 2nd in October!
  • wocko6092
    wocko6092 Posts: 69 Member
    I just wanted to update this I'm now a brown sash in Shaolin Chuan Fa kung fu
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Grading for my 1st dan black in Shotokan karate shortly, y?white belt in Goshindo jujitsu and sore knuckles in boxing!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Don't know where the y? Appeared from! * typo error*!!
  • Matt200goal
    Good luck & Kick *kitten*!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Woo Hoo! I just earned my green belt in Chinese Kempo this afternoon.

This test was a special one for me. While many schools count from 10 (white belt) down to 1 before getting to black, and most schools have a green belt as an intermediate rank, every school runs the rainbow of belts differently. The green belt I earned today is 1 step closer to black belt than the green belt with one brown stripe I earned studying Goju Ryu as a teen! So I am now past where I left off, in new territory.

Today is bittersweet. While all students start at the beginning, my current school allows those who have studied martial arts previously to retain their old belts out of respect for their prior training, and then uses tape stripes to denote what rank we hold within the school. So for the last 2 years, I've been wearing the well worn green belt that I earned from my first Sensei. Today I retired the belt she gave me all those years ago in favor of a crisp new belt.
  • Matt200goal
    Congratulations! To help your way along the journey be a little less bitter and perhaps more sweet, why not hang/display your old belt as a reminder of where you've been and where you're going?
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    I do intend to display my old belt. I've got quite the collection of colorful belts from the various schools I've explored between Goju Ryu as a teen to Chinese Kempo now.

It turns out that I recently hooked up with my first Sensei on Facebook and awoke to a message of congratulations from her saying that she was just happy to see me back in a gi. This made me amazingly glad :)
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Brown in American Kenpo
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Krav Maga ... & Wing Chun Kung Fu.. Black Belt Instructor
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    American Kenpo, brown belt. Just starting Krav
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 99 Member
    Tang Soo Do - white belt. Just started in June. My hubby and daughter started earlier this year and have orange/white belt.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Tang Soo Do, currently Cho Dan Bo, trading for black in august.