How to maintain macros when you don't like veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Meat is fantastic with just sea salt on it, but if you must douse it with sauce, hot sauce, mayo, butter and garlic, cream and cheese sauce, I think A1 steak sauce isn't too bad... Not sure.

Mmmm, buttered steak is an amazing thing and so yummy. But I agree, I've never been a big condiment person preferring just to use salt and sometimes burgers w/ mayo. All my friends know that I think ketchup is the devil! The smell of it even makes me gag. This has been a well used torture device against me.

I am very much the same, especially regarding ketchup. Interestingly enough though, Heinz reduced sugar ketchup doesn't cause this reaction in me, because it smells like a cocktail sauce, as opposed to whatever demon possessed garbage the rest of it is.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat more veggies since they are so filling but I get terrible, horrible bloat from it. Broccoli gives me the worst gas pains of life. I love salads but the lettuce bloats me as well.
    The bloat from salads is inconvenient but tolerable. Anyone else have these problems??

@LolaDeeDaisy23 - This was me before adding in Apple Cider Vinegar and digestive enzymes with my meals. Try taking diluted ACV - 1 TBSP with the first bite of a meal or just before starting eating (it says up to 30 minutes before, but I get a stomachache if I do it that far in advance) and see if you don't have less/no bloat. ACV helps the stomach processing. Digestive enzymes help in the intestine for the nutrient extraction. I'm finding these days a combo of both helps best, and I'm considering adding bile salts back in too (since i have no gallbladder - these didn't work for me before, but I wasn't using the ACV/DE combo back when, either, so I'm thinking another go is well worth it).

If you missed it, I posted this webinar yesterday. I bet if you listen to it, it will seriously help with a bunch of things. I never realized so much was related to my digestive system, and I had so many warning signs early on, too!!! So many things I would have done differently... https://www.drberg.com/main/webinarsignup?webinar_id=5 LONG, but SO worth it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Meat is fantastic with just sea salt on it, but if you must douse it with sauce, hot sauce, mayo, butter and garlic, cream and cheese sauce, I think A1 steak sauce isn't too bad... Not sure.

Mmmm, buttered steak is an amazing thing and so yummy. But I agree, I've never been a big condiment person preferring just to use salt and sometimes burgers w/ mayo. All my friends know that I think ketchup is the devil! The smell of it even makes me gag. This has been a well used torture device against me.

I am very much the same, especially regarding ketchup. Interestingly enough though, Heinz reduced sugar ketchup doesn't cause this reaction in me, because it smells like a cocktail sauce, as opposed to whatever demon possessed garbage the rest of it is.

@karebear5891 & @Gallowmere1984 - I was always a ketchup/mustard/pickle gal - learned from my dad. These days I LOVE a 4:2:1 ratio of mayo:mustard:ketchup. I haven't found a low-sugar ketchup I feel good trying (most AS and I are not friends) and I've been too lazy so far to make my own (I don't eat it quickly enough)...so I use leftover packets or measure 1-2 tsp, etc. It has worked well with just enough sweet to accent my pickles and sometimes tomatoes...
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    [/quote] They have a couple of lower carb flavors 3g carbs for 4 ounces - vanilla cream and strawberry cream. Do you have a good alternative ? [/quote]
    A couple of ideas: you can add fruit or fruit flavoring (sugar free coffee syrup) to the vanilla yogurt, or you can make your own yogurt with whole milk. Yogurt starters are available online & work well.

Let us know what you come up with! Very interesting topic.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also, I do a variation called a jello fat bomb which is sugar free gelatin (can do unflavored with sweetener to taste and pureed low carb fruit or extracts - to avoid aspartame and dyes in the premade stuff), sour cream, and heavy cream. It tastes just like a custard yogurt.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743

It won't have the probiotics, but I've been told that yogurt is a terrible resource for those anyway - kefir is said to be better. You could probably cut the water in half and use some kefir (plain) at the very end, when it's already cooled dramatically, for a boost there, too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    all the good stuff that makes fatty meat taste good is high in carbs .... ketchup, humus,creamy ceaser .... couple of spoons and boom 20 grams of carbs in one meal...
    How do you guys manage to stay low carb and still manage to eat some tasty food....

Sounds like you still need to evict your sugar demon. And maybe increase the quality of your meat and/or the way you cook it, because when you get good quality meat and cook it properly, you don't need anything else, because it's so flavorful and tasty on its own.

It might also be worth trying different kinds of meat. I'm personally a fan of bison and consider it far more flavorful than beef. Venison and lamb are good options, too, as is duck.

If you must put sauces on your meat, consider sour cream, ranch dressing, hot sauce, maybe A1. Butter makes a good meat sauce, too. If you want to add some extra flavor, puree some garlic into it and have a nice garlic butter.

As for cooking, don't go above about medium or so, especially for the red meats. Pork and birds need a little more, but be sure to take it off the heat as soon as the center reaches the safe temperature (or arguably, a few degrees less, especially for larger cuts or whole birds, and allow the center to come to temperature on its own). This keeps the meat from drying out and losing flavor.
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »
    tribal351 wrote: »
    light and fit Greek yogurt

fatfree yogurt probably isn't the best choice for keto
    They have the lowest carbs (9g) on the market (in my area). Haven't been able to find full fat yogurt in the grocery. I don't eat it but can't get my hubby off them. They have a couple of lower carb flavors 3g carbs for 4 ounces - vanilla cream and strawberry cream. Do you have a good alternative ?

Skyr!

Siggi's and B'More Organic should be available in most grocery stores (in Krogers, they'll be in the organic section). You might even be able to find skyr.is brand, too. Their carb amount sits around 6g, due to the lactose (which I suspect is actually lower, due to the cultures consuming the lactose). Siggi's flavored ones are a bit more, but B'More's isn't, and both offer a plain option. Mix in a little cream, especially in B'more's (which is more kefir-like), and it's heaven in a bottle.

Unfortunately, full fat yogurt is stupid hard to find these days. I've found it easier to either make my own, or pick up something like Skyr and add fat to it.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    all the good stuff that makes fatty meat taste good is high in carbs .... ketchup, humus,creamy ceaser .... couple of spoons and boom 20 grams of carbs in one meal...
    How do you guys manage to stay low carb and still manage to eat some tasty food....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Some help for folks stuck in this area...

Fatty meat is the TASTIEST kind. Needs nothing but to be cooked perfectly, and seasoned. Seasoning is key. Good salt (I use pink Himalayan salt) and good pepper (whole pepper in a grinder) are my best weapons against bad tasting food. I used to turn up my nose at rare red meat, but now I can't get enough of a juicy pink burger or nice red steak. Roasting chicken or grilling it is fantastic - throw pieces on a baking pan with foil or parchment, rub with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, maybe a bit of Old Bay or some creole or Greek seasoning, whatever you like, really, but season it for sure! Bake it til the skin is crispy and oooh la la!

If you must add more to meat, I love Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce (or tamari, if you're not eating any soy or wheat), FRESH GARLIC (another fave thing. I must chop at least a couple cloves every other day for a meal), fresh or dried herbs...I love thyme, rosemary, marjoram, tarragon, sage, basil, parsley on chicken, pork, beef... dill, celery seed, parsley, chive, on fish (especially with LEMON!)

And don't forget vinegars (I keep red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and two kinds of balsamic and white wine vinegars on hand all the time), and oils are all low-carb, lovely things to use on meat. These two are especially GREAT for tougher cuts of meat, as they help break down connective tissue when cooked in say, a Dutch oven low on the stove, or a crock pot.

Red and white wines are FABULOUS things to add to meat dishes, as well. I have a bottle of sweet, dark red wine in the fridge in the cooler months to add to chilis, stews, braised meat dishes, soups, homemade pasta sauce/meat sauce, and almost always have a bottle of sherry or marsala for fish, chicken, vegetable dishes. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

PS - don't buy cooking wine, it's $hlt. Just buy the stuff you normally drink, get a little extra. Or if you have a bottle hanging around that you didn't like much, it will be a treat to cook with! I love food!

And none of this is expensive. Couple bucks for a plastic clamshell packet of herbs (sometimes you can get a combination of them in one pack - look in the produce aisle next to the refrigerated salad dressings, bagged lettuces). A head or bulb of garlic is like, 50¢ at my grocery store and lasts me weeks in the fridge! Three buck chuck wine and even dollar store vinegars and seasonings are awesome! I keep fresh herbs (except mint and sage) in a little water in a glass in the fridge w/a plastic baggie rubber-banded to the top, and they last for ages.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - Ever take Beano?

@KnitOrMiss - ooh that Jell-O thing sounds so good. I'm going to go look now.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »
    tribal351 wrote: »
    light and fit Greek yogurt

fatfree yogurt probably isn't the best choice for keto
    They have the lowest carbs (9g) on the market (in my area). Haven't been able to find full fat yogurt in the grocery. I don't eat it but can't get my hubby off them. They have a couple of lower carb flavors 3g carbs for 4 ounces - vanilla cream and strawberry cream. Do you have a good alternative ?

Can you buy full fat milk and make your own? It's pretty easy, and cheap if you can keep the starter going.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Try this: butter and egg yolks! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bearnaise-sauce-395049
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Try Fage plain yogurt and add some sour cream or HWC.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I haven't had much veggies, but I try to take my multi-vitamins, along with my other supps. Like others have said there are those who do zero carbs, just be sure you get plenty of fats in. :)