Steps not showing on mfp

Replies

• melissavandiver
    melissavandiver Posts: 3 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I am also having this issue. I am brand new to both MFP and Fitbit. It seems to be an iOS issue (with me), because logging into the website you can see my steps and stuff under "reports." However, I am not showing a calorie adjustment in the app, and I don't even know where to look for it on the website. Even though it seems to be less accurate by many accounts, I may just give up on MFP and use Fitbit to track calories. I did all of the restarting and re-syncing and logging out and logging in and making sure to uncheck "do not track steps" to no avail.

My main problem, I think, is that I am open to the idea that maybe I haven't burned enough calories yet today to warrant and adjustment, but there is just no clarity or communication between the apps to tell me what is going on. Whose calorie count am I supposed to follow? Who is accounting for "sedentary" calories correctly? Seems like Fitbit probably is more accurate since MFP is only self-reported, but then I hear that Fitbit's food diary function is not super accurate.

I am tech savvy and I understand that things need to be restarted and re-synced sometimes but aside from that basic level maintenance, this should be WORKING.

Adjustments are shown under Exercise in MFP web account. And app normally.

If you have on MFP Negative Calories enabled - there will always be an Adjustment under exercise - if syncing something from Fitbit over. Makes for quick check. Looking at stats also helps to see WHEN it last happened - which is important too.

End of the day both would match for calorie goal - if you have selected the same deficit goal.

It's during the day that matters - but usually after a little use you have a clue as to average calories burned and can get close with average meals - then end of day final smaller amounts aren't hard to hit with snacks.

Oof - yeah I am getting nothing on either the app or on the web. Like, no data from Fitbit is really transmitting I think. I just worked out, and so I assume there was supposed to be a calorie adjustment (I also have negative adjustments enabled). I'm not sure what you mean by "looking at stats" and checking on "when" something happened - do Fitbit and MFP have a daily sync time or something? Like it doesn't work in real time?

I appreciate your help very much!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm with Android and haven't experienced any problems.

I've had it synced here for nearly 2 years, and the not syncing steps has happened twice, but only for half a day both times, never a whole day(s). I hope i haven't jinxed myself by posting this..
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I am also having this issue. I am brand new to both MFP and Fitbit. It seems to be an iOS issue (with me), because logging into the website you can see my steps and stuff under "reports." However, I am not showing a calorie adjustment in the app, and I don't even know where to look for it on the website. Even though it seems to be less accurate by many accounts, I may just give up on MFP and use Fitbit to track calories. I did all of the restarting and re-syncing and logging out and logging in and making sure to uncheck "do not track steps" to no avail.

My main problem, I think, is that I am open to the idea that maybe I haven't burned enough calories yet today to warrant and adjustment, but there is just no clarity or communication between the apps to tell me what is going on. Whose calorie count am I supposed to follow? Who is accounting for "sedentary" calories correctly? Seems like Fitbit probably is more accurate since MFP is only self-reported, but then I hear that Fitbit's food diary function is not super accurate.

I am tech savvy and I understand that things need to be restarted and re-synced sometimes but aside from that basic level maintenance, this should be WORKING.

If you have on MFP Negative Calories enabled - there will always be an Adjustment under exercise - if syncing something from Fitbit over. Makes for quick check. Looking at stats also helps to see WHEN it last happened - which is important too.

End of the day both would match for calorie goal - if you have selected the same deficit goal.

It's during the day that matters - but usually after a little use you have a clue as to average calories burned and can get close with average meals - then end of day final smaller amounts aren't hard to hit with snacks.

Oof - yeah I am getting nothing on either the app or on the web. Like, no data from Fitbit is really transmitting I think. I just worked out, and so I assume there was supposed to be a calorie adjustment (I also have negative adjustments enabled). I'm not sure what you mean by "looking at stats" and checking on "when" something happened - do Fitbit and MFP have a daily sync time or something? Like it doesn't work in real time?

If you go to the exercise tab on the website (or the diary on the mobile app) and there is a "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment" line there, then you can click on the little 'i' next to it (or just touch the line on the mobile app) to see the math that MFP is using to calculate your adjustment and the time when Fitbit and MFP last exchanged data. If the line isn't there, despite the two accounts being connected, you obviously can't check that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Nancy got the part as to why you can't see what I'm referring to.

Your other question - sync time.
    I'm not sure if it's changed for other devices, but Fitbit only seemed to send a new daily burn value when it was 100 higher than prior sync.
    So if device was not actually syncing to Fitbit account, and it increased by the lower BMR value - that could mean slightly over an hour before another sync.
    If device was syncing higher values to Fitbit account because of exercise or increased daily activity, could easily be less than an hour.

Mine is screwed up right now because MFP thinks the Fitbit timestamp on the data feed doesn't match.

But I also think they have increased the sync value by more than 100 - but can't confirm right now.

You've got bigger issues though, suggest doing the routine mentioned in this thread of Disconnect and Revoking - and having the App logged out of.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I'm with Android and haven't experienced any problems.

I've had it synced here for nearly 2 years, and the not syncing steps has happened twice, but only for half a day both times, never a whole day(s). I hope i haven't jinxed myself by posting this..

Lucky. I'm also on android and mine stopped giving me fitbit adjustments again.

It's strange to say the least (and yes I have done the disconnect on MFP/revoke on fitbit...didn't change anything).
    Today - No adjustment (gone again)
    Yesterday (7/17) - 0 adjustment / last sync 11:44 pm (back again)
    Saturday - No adjustment (gone again)
    Friday - 535 adjustment / last sync 9 pm
    Thurs - 25 adjustment / last sync 11:59 pm
    Wed - 370 adjustment / last syn 11:59 pm
    Tues - 554 adjustment/ last sync 11:59 pm
    Mon - 356 adjustment/ last sync 11:59 pm (all of sudden working again)
    Sun - No adjustment
    Sat - No adjustment (disconnected/revoked access a couple times)

On days with no adjustment (not a 0 but actually nothing there), the steps don't show up on my app homepage. They do however show up on the check in area of the website. So for me at least data is syncing between the sites just fine, but for whatever reason MFP's program isn't doing anything with the data it gets.

Today I should be seeing an adjustment of roughly 391 calories as of 6:20 pm.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Mine is being wonky too
  • NancyN795
    Mine's been fine until the other day. A disconnect/reconnect fixed it then, but today it's not working. Food and exercise logged in MFP (although I only logged exercise in MFP as an experiment to see if that would fix things) is going to Fitbit, but calories burned are not showing up on MFP. So, I'm falling back on using Fitbit to know how much to eat.
  • ks3069087
    ks3069087 Posts: 1 Member
    When I hit the sync button on MFP nothing happens. Is that normal?
  • SageAndFreedom
    SageAndFreedom Posts: 6 Member
    Haha! I've tried mightily, not have had no luck. I even have to admit I do not know where the sync button in on MFP. Can you direct me?
  • bruinsgirl3319
    bruinsgirl3319 Posts: 32 Member
    Started doing this to me as well. At least if I can get my steps under check in I can track that way but I would love to know what that means for my calories burned in MFP. It only stopped working this morning
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Mine quit working this morning as well. I'd had no trouble for months until today. My MFP logged calories show up on Fitbit, but my steps aren't showing up on MFP.
  • ashleysmith35
    ashleysmith35 Posts: 10 Member
    Not syncing today for me as well... So frustrating.
  • pjmuise
    pjmuise Posts: 16 Member
    Don't know if this might anyone help but after I enabled negative adjustments by checking the box ( default is off) in the food diary settings haven't had a problem.

1) To reset I would disconnect the Fitbit app on MFP then log out.
    2) log into Fitbit.com and go to settings upper right-hand corner. Click on applications and revoke access to MFP authorization. Log out.
    3) Log into MFP again and reinstall the Fitbit app. Allow the authorization.
    4) Go to Apps click on steps under Choose a Step Tracking Device you will see Fitbit Tracker to the right click select.

I have enabled negative adjustments in the food diary settings.

• NancyN795
    It seems so random. I couldn't get an exercise adjustment yesterday (I don't care about seeing steps in MFP - I regard them as completely irrelevant since they don't affect my calorie adjustment), but today it seems to be back to normal.
  • moffat1214
    moffat1214 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,
    I am having the same problem, my steps from Fitbit are not syncing. I have followed all the steps...1) Re-installed 2) Disconnected/reconnected 3) Forced a sync
    Food and calories are syncing.Has anyone got any ideas? Do you think it'll sort itself out?
    Thanks
  • bruinsgirl3319
    bruinsgirl3319 Posts: 32 Member
    pjmuise wrote: »
    Don't know if this might anyone help but after I enabled negative adjustments by checking the box ( default is off) in the food diary settings haven't had a problem.

1) To reset I would disconnect the Fitbit app on MFP then log out.
    2) log into Fitbit.com and go to settings upper right-hand corner. Click on applications and revoke access to MFP authorization. Log out.
    3) Log into MFP again and reinstall the Fitbit app. Allow the authorization.
    4) Go to Apps click on steps under Choose a Step Tracking Device you will see Fitbit Tracker to the right click select.

I have enabled negative adjustments in the food diary settings.

Unfortunately this didn't help me. This needs to be fixed ASAP. A lot of us rely on these two apps working together to help us achieve our goals and this problem is not helping!
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    I'm having the same problem. Hope they sort it out soon.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Same issue here as well.. not even showing on the computer or my phone... arrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!
  • moffat1214
    moffat1214 Posts: 2 Member
    I sent an email to Fitbit to ask for help. Does anyone know whether it's a big problem, or is it just coincidence that we've all got the same problem?
  • ashleysmith35
    ashleysmith35 Posts: 10 Member
    @moffat1214 it's a recurring problem that comes up every few weeks or so. Some days it'll eventually synch, and some days it never does. Though almost always, it's never down for more than 24 hours. I've done all of the help-desk troubleshooting, etc. As frustrating as it is, it usually sorts itself out. Hang in there-- i know it's an exercise in patience. For me, I need to control my OCD in making sure the apps communicate properly. ;)