Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    I think I'm going to complete Week 5 using 2 days rest between runs.

So to me the idea that you're needing 2 rest days would suggest something else needs addressing. How deep is your deficit? If you're working at too much of a deficit you're not refueling after the running and that would suggest that you need to think about nutrition in general.

For short runs, as you're describing, you should be able to do alternate days.
    With this being my first race, any other thoughts on prep... how much rest should I give my legs prior to race day, additional tips as far as hydration and foods the day or two before?

For a 5K I wouldn't do anything special, perhaps an extra non-running day. The main thing to think about is being properly hydrated in general, but that's not a specific running issue.

You don't need to eat anything specific.

All that said, I do recall when a 12km run was a much bigger deal.

I think MM is on the right track, if you're needing 2 days between runs, it's either your deficit is too big, or you're running way too hard.

Again, probably just have 2 days rest before, and just keep hydration and nutrition to known factors.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Good to see you back @ftrobbie Sorry to hear you've had a hard trot with life lately, but you're back. You know the path this time and you know you can do it mate!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    W3D1 today. Wow did that feel like a long way! I still can't run up that one section, but I'm going to try to run up a little bit further each time.

Distance: 5.57 miles in 75:23 for a pace of 13:32.

I think for the time being I'm going to be taking 2 days between runs, instead of 1. I'm not in a hurry to finish and there isn't enough time before the day gets hot to both go for a run and take a walk with my husband. So, more walks, fewer runs.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MeanderingMammal and @taeliesyn --- I don't feel like I'm on too large of a deficit, but I am trying to still lose weight. I usually eat back about half the "exercise" calories, so maybe I'm not replenishing enough after a large calorie burn? I just assumed it was because my body wasn't used to running, but didn't realize it could be tied to my nutrition.

I started off Week 5 today and felt good about my pace and performance overall. My first 30 minutes I finished off 3 miles, but fell off a bit on the 2nd 30 minute run with a pace of 10:36/mile.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Sorry to hear life has been testing you a bit, but it's great to see you back here! I was wondering whether something had happened.

@rusgolden What's your targeted weekly loss? If you're burning a lot via running, I'm not sure anything past 500 g (um, 1 lb I think) per week is easy to keep up with, but then I'm not too focused on counting calories myself. Someone else have thoughts on this?

@MeanderingMammal Running with a possibly cracked rib, are we? Tut tut.

@NancyN795 I just ran in 23°C (73.4°F) and it's beginning to be too hot for me. Give me below freezing and I'm much more comfortable, if we're talking extremes. Walking on the other hand still seems okay somehow.

I started the last, ninth, week of C25K today and the extra two minutes of running caused me to extend my route a bit. I'm so excited about finishing this early next week! Also found out yesterday that they do have a closing time or whatever it's called for the 10K race, which means anyone slower than 90 minutes won't be timed. Oh shoot, whatever, glad I know it now so that I can prepare for crossing the line without an official time. I'm slow still and such is life, what happens will happen, because I've never even run amidst many people, which in itself will cause butterflies, but then again I'm sure the adrenaline will help at least a bit, so who knows. Better be pragmatic about this than expect miracles only to be incredibly disappointed. It's easier to adjust one's perspective beforehand anyway.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    @rusgolden What's your targeted weekly loss? If you're burning a lot via running, I'm not sure anything past 500 g (um, 1 lb I think) per week is easy to keep up with, but then I'm not too focused on counting calories myself. Someone else have thoughts on this?

@AglaeaC - I thought it was set at 1 lb/week, but I just checked and it was at 1.5 lb/week. So, I have adjusted and it gave me a couple hundred more cals per day. For several weeks I hadn't been losing anything, but the past 2 weeks I have lost 2 lbs/week, so you all are probably onto something. :wink: - I will see how this adjustment works. I'm within single digits of my goal weight, so is probably good to start moving the goal down a bit so it's not so drastic when I'm attempting maintenance.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

@AglaeaC - I thought it was set at 1 lb/week, but I just checked and it was at 1.5 lb/week. So, I have adjusted and it gave me a couple hundred more cals per day. For several weeks I hadn't been losing anything, but the past 2 weeks I have lost 2 lbs/week, so you all are probably onto something. :wink: - I will see how this adjustment works. I'm within single digits of my goal weight, so is probably good to start moving the goal down a bit so it's not so drastic when I'm attempting maintenance.

If you're within single digits of your goal weight, 1/2 pound a week is actually the appropriate setting, from what I understand.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    @NancyN795 I just ran in 23°C (73.4°F) and it's beginning to be too hot for me. Give me below freezing and I'm much more comfortable, if we're talking extremes. Walking on the other hand still seems okay somehow.

I started the last, ninth, week of C25K today and the extra two minutes of running caused me to extend my route a bit. I'm so excited about finishing this early next week! Also found out yesterday that they do have a closing time or whatever it's called for the 10K race, which means anyone slower than 90 minutes won't be timed. Oh shoot, whatever, glad I know it now so that I can prepare for crossing the line without an official time. I'm slow still and such is life, what happens will happen, because I've never even run amidst many people, which in itself will cause butterflies, but then again I'm sure the adrenaline will help at least a bit, so who knows. Better be pragmatic about this than expect miracles only to be incredibly disappointed. It's easier to adjust one's perspective beforehand anyway.

I haven't tried running with it below freezing, but I have found that I can comfortably run in temperatures much lower than I like walking in. That's not too surprising. In general, I try to start my exercise - either run or walk - before it gets above 70. Fortunately, where we live it is a rare night when it doesn't get below 70, so I just have to get out there first thing in the morning.

I have no idea if the 10K I'm planning on running (the Bolder Boulder, next Memorial Day) has a closing time. That hadn't occurred to me. If I can keep my current pace, though, I should be able to do it in under 90 minutes. Plus, the course will be much easier than what I'm currently running. The hills in Boulder should seem like child's play after what I've been doing. I've never run amidst people either. I expect to be somewhat bothered by it, but I'll cope. I normally see a couple of vehicles and occasionally someone walking their dog when I run. Running with 50K+ other people is going to be an experience!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running with a possibly cracked rib, are we? Tut tut.

Well I needed to get some time in with fitness testing this morning. Although the 2.4km threshold run this morning hurt quite a lot.
    Also found out yesterday that they do have a closing time or whatever it's called for the 10K race, which means anyone slower than 90 minutes won't be timed.

The main thing is getting out there and doing the business. As long as you've got a GPS of some kind with you then you know what time it's taken you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Military fitness test this morning, a bit painful on the ribs and shoulder but at 11:02 I was in the Very Good category, and within the Pass category for the lowest age range; 16-24.

That was followed by a load carry test, lifting two 25kg bags, one in each hand, for a series of shuttle runs. That hurt the chest a lot with the rib damage following last weeks crash.

• NancyN795
    Options
    W3D2 today. I'd planned on doing 2 days between runs but life happened and it looked like today was the better day to do it, so I did. It was really hard today! I actually gave up and walked sooner on the really, really steep section instead of running a little farther up as I'd intended. In general it took an awful lot of will power to keep running for most of the distance.

Distance: 5.57 miles in 76:09 for a pace of 13:40. It surprises me that my pace was that fast. Not only did I feel slow as molasses, but I stopped and talked to a neighbor during my first walk break.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back, work is still testing, next week will mainly be on the road, this week has been one operational review after another. And people are dropping like flies due to work pressure. Its so nice to continue to see this place continue to offer support, encouragement and inspiration to those who need it.

@MeanderingMammal good to see all the training you do pay off.

@NancyN795 running especially longer distances becomes a mental game. By continuing you continually get your mind to adapt to whats possible. The body is capable of much more than the mind thinks it can. Keep going but also analyse your performance and recognise that the body needs rest to get stronger. Its not always about push, push push.

Had a couple of runs during the week but the main exercise has come from a pleasure ride on the bike 12miles and some commuting, 13-16 miles each way. Got absolutely soaked yesterday in a summer thunderstorm, decided given that I was slightly wet there was little difference to that and drenched, so while other huddle under trees I just kept going. It was good fun in the end.

Hoping you all have good training sessions over the next few days.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I've been struggling lately.. mojo and injuries. Although I seem to be coming back now... I had a nice 63k week last week, and then got dropped by a fecking gastro bug! Finally recovered, and I've ran 4.3km so far this week! and that was technically more walking than running, as I've grabbed the C25K program to use as I build into tire pulling on my runs.
    I've been extremely stupid, foolish and reckless and entered a 50K trail race in the US that has 7000ft of elevation, it's almost an up and down, rather than up and back. I'm going to pace/accompany a friend. It's going to be her first 50k.... all going well and assuming that doesn't break me, I may double with another 50k the following weekend, this one I'll be racing, and unless the terrain throws me for a loop, looking at previous times there is a small chance I could be looking at a podium, or at least top 10 if I get my fitness back properly!.
    Still keeping up with the cycling too, up to 40ish minutes around 20km currently, about what my commute should hopefully be when I start doing that.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W3D3 today. Pretty good run, with a better time today. I still can't maintain a running gait all the way up the one hill, but I made it farther today.

Distance: 5.57 miles in 74:14 for a pace of 13:19.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist gave me the okay to try running and cycling, as long as I don't hurt myself! :D

I actually ran 9 of the 14 laps to make a mile in the gym on Friday! I'll probably start some kind of running program next week between real bike rides! The only thing holding me back on the running is the oppressive heat!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    I completed Week 5 (or week 13 depending on the program). I had a really good pace the first half (2.96 miles in 30 min), but the 2nd half I could barely keep my legs moving and had a pace of 13:35. It is supposed to storm tomorrow so I did my run a day earlier than planned, but I went steadily down on my distances for this week... D1 6.03 miles; D2 5.78 miles; and D3 5:37 miles. I do think I would have done better today if I had run a little earlier before the heat and humidity kicked my butt.

I'm going to stop the 10K training for a couple weeks and run a few 5K training runs and see if my times have improved. First 5K race is in 2 weeks and I want to get a feel for what pace I can run it in without burning myself out too early or holding too much back.

Thank you for all the input that several of you have given me the past several weeks!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I finished the first episode of Zombies Run this morning for a total of 3.04 miles in 40:15 including the walking intervals, warm up and cool down. It was a fun distraction and I think I'll like it. My fitness level hasn't declined as much as I had expected with the weeks of not being able to run.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I declare this page a happy page so far!

@rusgolden It's good that you're adjusting to the heat. I need to do so, too, as it's becoming too hot for me. It might not be enough to run earlier or later, but I'll see if those options would work first.

I'm done with couch-to-5K finally! So so happy! Off to take a shower :smiley:
  • rusgolden
    Options
    More happy news... I ran my first 5k training run since I finished the C25K program about 5 weeks ago and I improved my time by almost 2 minutes... 6/19 29:44, 7/26 27:53. Moving on to the B210K really did help a lot, so thank you to all those that recommended that. I also changed the units on MMF to metric so I would get pace updates more frequently and I think that helped my adjustment during the run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Was supposed to ride with my girls group yesterday, but it rained. Got up to run this morning and it was still raining, but I ran anyway- 3.18 miles at my National Park and the Zombies didn't catch me!