Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options
btsinmd
btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
Yesterday I started Week 5 of my variation of Hal Higdon's 10k novice program and did 30 minutes of strength training and some stretching. Today, I ran a bit more than 2 miles with a moderate effort. I like Varda's description of level of effort and this felt like moderate. It turned out to be the fastest pace I have ever run so far 14.47 minutes/mile.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was doing sprint intervals today. I couldn't get a GPS signal at all but I've done them often enough to know how far to run. Still can't jog between intervals, have to walk, but that's probably psychological, but I'm too lazy to try.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Nah. I always walk between my intervals. The point is recovery. If you can't recover jogging, then you need to be walking. At least, that's what Kathleen KP says and I believe her.

BTW - love the title on this. Makes it easy to see what I'm responding to in My Topics.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

Yesterday morning, I ran for an hour (5.17 mi) + warm up and cool down. Last night, I walked 2.57 miles with my neighbors.

Today is a bicycle day and tomorrow I have dental surgery. :-/
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Today is a bicycle day and tomorrow I have dental surgery. :-/

Bicycle day, yeah! Dental surgery, yuck! But at least when it's done you'll feel better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good luck on your surgery.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad you decided to start this thread - I get a bit lost in this group trying to keep up with who's doing what.

I did nothing today except a few strength exercises this morning and now I'm going to have beer because that's just the sort of day it's been!

Promise I'll get my shoes on tomorrow, you lot are putting me to shame today lol
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Today was supposed to be a 3 mile run but instead was a 30 minute run on the treadmill. Went nearly 3 miles including the warm-up and cool-down walks, but ran just over 2.5. I was too hot (as part of the remodel they put in ceiling fans instead of portable big fans and they just don't cut it), my calves & shins hurt (my gym shoes are identical to my outdoor running shoes but they only have a few running miles on them so they're not broken in yet), and I let myself quit early (whine, *****, moan).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We've all had days like that.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Today was a tough 4 miles. I was dragging myself along the whole time, and the stride I finally found was short-lived. However, 4 miles nonetheless. My app crashed after the first mile, but that just made me laugh with everything else that felt off. Glad I did it, however :).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Today was a tough 4 miles. I was dragging myself along the whole time, and the stride I finally found was short-lived. However, 4 miles nonetheless. My app crashed after the first mile, but that just made me laugh with everything else that felt off. Glad I did it, however :).

Great job gutting it out and finishing your 4 miles.
  • btsinmd
    Options

You did it! Congratulations!
  • likitisplit
    Options

That is known as a "bad run" and we know what happens after bad runs, right?

On that note, 7 miles last night and they felt mostly good most of the time. It's the first really good run I've had since June except, of course, it was 7 miles and that's still a stretch for me even on a flat trail. My half has a cut-off time of 3:30 and I'm worried about coming in under it. According to my 10k time, I should breeze through it. My training times tell a different story. If I make it, I'll just be slipping in under the wire. However, I have 6 more weeks to train, so I'll play it by ear as we get closer.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    W4D1 for me but instead of the 3mile run I ended up swapping and doing the 2mile run from D2 instead as I was really short of time this morning and needed to get into work early.

Went well even though it was dark when I left the house - average pace was 11.02min mile as I did the reverse route and saved the big hill for the end of the run .... perhaps not the wisest move when in a hurry lol
  • romyhorse
    Options
    14k bike ride today checking a new route for this weekend's long run followed by weight lifting. Was so busy today I didn't have time to pack any lunch, when I got home my dog needed walked and then I had to do my workout, so I totally forgot about lunch till my kids came home from school and started raiding the biscuit box.

The highlight of my day was getting a new running top for the winter, the material is soft on the inside and feels really cosy, it has a snug stretchy hood which won't fall down when I'm running into a headwind and it has thumbholes! But the best bit is that the smaller size fits me!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The highlight of my day was getting a new running top for the winter, the material is soft on the inside and feels really cosy, it has a snug stretchy hood which won't fall down when I'm running into a headwind and it has thumbholes! But the best bit is that the smaller size fits me!

Love everything about this!!!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Just got back from a 5k run, was going to carry on and do 6 but my shoelace came undone and after I tied it and started running again my legs felt tired and heavy so I called it a day. My thighs still feel a bit tired even after stretching, must have been the extra distance on my bike ride yesterday. Humidity was 98% today, even though it wasn't that warm I was sweating loads, can't wait until winter and the humidity drops.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    yamsteroo, good run, especially with having the hill at the end. I don't like hills much, which is why I try to have at least one in on the majority of my runs. I need the practice. I really don't like them at the end though.

Nice exercise romy, both the bike ride yesterday and the run today. My area is prone to high humidity all summer too with July and August particularly bad. I get frustrated when it's just not that hot out, yet it still feels so sticky. It just drains the energy. Sounds like a nice new running top and congratulations on the smaller size!

Today is to be 7 degrees F cooler than yesterday (which was scorching) and tomorrow another 10 degrees cooler than today and that coolish weather should last all weekend, so Friday and Sunday will be my next two runs.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    W7D2 of Hal Higdon's plan - 2 miles, which I did as a hill run. Tackled an aggressive hills course that did me in the first (and only) time I tried it. There are two really big hills on this route (plus one moderate hill and several smaller hills) and it's funny how a block or two before I get to the big hills I start feeling really tired. Ah the brain at work. But the hills felt good as I was running up them and I wasn't nearly as out of breath at the top of them as I have been on past runs. If I run the route one way the hills are spaced pretty far apart (one big hill is at the beginning and one is toward the end), but the way I ran this morning the first big hill, second big hill and moderate hill are all within a half mile stretch, so I'm barely catching my breath from one hill when I'm rounding the corner to the next.

Distance: 2.01 miles
    Duration: 23:29
    Pace: 11:40
    1:00 - 11:46
    2:00 - 11:33 (23:20)
    2.01 - 13:18 (23:29)

Wish I could set my app so when I'm doing a goal run it shuts off when I reach the goal instead of having to pull my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, pause it and stop it.

Edit to add that it was 53 degrees on my run so I had a pull-over running jacket on.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Laura, I had to laugh at your comment about the temperature, it was 52 this morning on my run and I was sweating buckets in my T-shirt, lol. I guess it just depends what you are used to.