Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ran 12km this morning. Is it just me or is it usual to feel nauseous after a long run? It's lunchtime and only now do I feel like eating.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ran 12km this morning. Is it just me or is it usual to feel nauseous after a long run? It's lunchtime and only now do I feel like eating.

Does that happen regularly after your long runs? I haven't had that happen to me. I haven't run 12km yet though either.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I graduated! Ran 10K this morning in 1:16:32.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Yay Laura! Woo hoo!!!! That's a pretty slammin' time for your first, wow!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! 2nd ever 10k and I shaved about 14 minutes off my time. Granted, the courses do not even come close to comparing. This one was rolling hills, but they were still plentiful :) Today it was the mind games that were the hardest part, but I did it, ran every step, and completed in under 75 minutes. The official times are posted later, but I'm delighted regardless.

It did help that I was running for Autism (and my daughter). Knowing it wasn't just about me allowed me to push through the mind games a bit more quickly than I think I otherwise would have.

I came in 4th from last with that time. Behind me was one other adult, and 2 wee ones. Too funny. Fast pack.
  • romyhorse
    Options

Does that happen regularly after your long runs? I haven't had that happen to me. I haven't run 12km yet though either.
    It has been happening ever since I started running longer than an hour. I make sure I drink plenty so it's not dehydration.
    Congratulations! That is a great time for your first 10k run.
    Yay!!! 2nd ever 10k and I shaved about 14 minutes off my time. Granted, the courses do not even come close to comparing. This one was rolling hills, but they were still plentiful :) Today it was the mind games that were the hardest part, but I did it, ran every step, and completed in under 75 minutes. The official times are posted later, but I'm delighted regardless.

It did help that I was running for Autism (and my daughter). Knowing it wasn't just about me allowed me to push through the mind games a bit more quickly than I think I otherwise would have.

I came in 4th from last with that time. Behind me was one other adult, and 2 wee ones. Too funny. Fast pack.
    That is ridiculous that you came in 4th from last with that time! They must be super competitive. But congratulations on taking 14 minutes off your best time, finishing under 75 minutes is a great achievement.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

1) Holy cow that really was a fast pack
    2) Amazing job knocking 14 minutes (14 minutes!!!!) off your time from your first 10K.
    3) CONGRATULATIONS!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It has been happening ever since I started running longer than an hour. I make sure I drink plenty so it's not dehydration.

Once I got really dehydrated, to the point where I had chills (even though it was hot & humid that evening), and once I just hadn't hydrated enough for the temp & humidity and just...blerch. What about food? Do you need to fuel more before or during the run?

Edited 3 times trying to fix the quote thing. Giving up & letting it look wrong.
  • romyhorse
    Options

Once I got really dehydrated, to the point where I had chills (even though it was hot & humid that evening), and once I just hadn't hydrated enough for the temp & humidity and just...blerch. What about food? Do you need to fuel more before or during the run?

Edited 3 times trying to fix the quote thing. Giving up & letting it look wrong.

I don't think it's hydration, I drink at least 1/2 litre of water before and drink during and after. It could be not eating enough, I don't eat before I run as I run early in the morning. However I did a trial for my race as it's later in the morning and had a bowl of porridge a couple of hours before my run and still felt nauseous after. Maybe my body just needs more time to get used to running further.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I don't think it's hydration, I drink at least 1/2 litre of water before and drink during and after. It could be not eating enough, I don't eat before I run as I run early in the morning. However I did a trial for my race as it's later in the morning and had a bowl of porridge a couple of hours before my run and still felt nauseous after. Maybe my body just needs more time to get used to running further.

Hope you can figure it out, or as you say your body adapts. Food & water were my best two guesses. :smile:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! 2nd ever 10k and I shaved about 14 minutes off my time.

Great job and awesome improvement!! Congrats!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Anything over 8 miles and no. I can't eat
  • likitisplit
    Options

Seriously great accomplishment!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran 17 minutes to Kroger to get a Starbucks. I have another 28 minutes left to my run, but this coffee is hot. How long before the first and second halves of a run before it officially becomes 2?

Oh great. A woman with a 13.1 sticker just pulled in the parking lot. Way to make me feel like a slacker...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I just got my calves massaged today because their tightness causes ankle pain. It's the way the ligaments run down your legs.

Hope that helps! And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Your calves might feel tomorrow like you ran half a marathon after a deep tissue massage like that.

They actually feel brand new.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hope the calves feel better, varda and mrsmalcom. Hope you're both feeling back to normal soon.

Did my strength training this afternoon and then ran 5k tonight. Loved the run. The run was the same length as what I ran on Tuesday during my lunch hour. It was even warmer out tonight than it was at noon on Tuesday, but it was evening/night now and without the bright sun and with my dog, Fells, I just felt so much better.

Runners turn into vampires, maybe. Direct sunlight breaks me every time.
  • romyhorse
    Options

Oh great. A woman with a 13.1 sticker just pulled in the parking lot. Way to make me feel like a slacker...

Love this, lol!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I ran 17 minutes to Kroger to get a Starbucks. I have another 28 minutes left to my run, but this coffee is hot. How long before the first and second halves of a run before it officially becomes 2?

I literally laughed out loud.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hope the calves feel better, varda and mrsmalcom. Hope you're both feeling back to normal soon.

Did my strength training this afternoon and then ran 5k tonight. Loved the run. The run was the same length as what I ran on Tuesday during my lunch hour. It was even warmer out tonight than it was at noon on Tuesday, but it was evening/night now and without the bright sun and with my dog, Fells, I just felt so much better.

Runners turn into vampires, maybe. Direct sunlight breaks me every time.

Brilliant! I love it.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bragging about a huge running victory: Yesterday morning I went out for the second time with the local ladies running group and A) FINALLY got past 6 miles and B) somehow got to 6.95 miles with a 9:40 pace! (My ~5.8 mile runs previously were at around 12:00, so that was a serious jump -- all the way down to my 5K race pace.) It was almost all downhill and I definitely walked up the monster hill at the end, but I have been feeling like a rock star since I realized the distance/pace. My legs are sore today, but every time they twinge, I grin like a big ol' idiot remembering what I accomplished to make them sore. I also used my extra calories yesterday on ice cream, and it was awesome!