Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Saw the doctor again yesterday and she thinks my progress is excellent. She really know runners - she asked me if I had done any continuous runs without the run/walk intervals she prescribed to me. I confessed I did a couple. She laughed - I think she knew the answer before she even asked. I got the OK to keep doing continuous runs as long as it does not cause more pain. She wants me to start doing side planks every day to activate the side stabilizer muscles. I will go back in 4 weeks at which time she'll prescribe a strength training program. Hopefully that will be my last visit

This weekend I'll try going 5 miles but I think for my long runs I will follow the Galloway method and do a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio of running to walking. I need to increase those one mile per week in order to be ready for my Thanksgiving half.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Saw the doctor again yesterday and she thinks my progress is excellent. She really know runners - she asked me if I had done any continuous runs without the run/walk intervals she prescribed to me. I confessed I did a couple. She laughed - I think she knew the answer before she even asked. I got the OK to keep doing continuous runs as long as it does not cause more pain. She wants me to start doing side planks every day to activate the side stabilizer muscles. I will go back in 4 weeks at which time she'll prescribe a strength training program. Hopefully that will be my last visit

This weekend I'll try going 5 miles but I think for my long runs I will follow the Galloway method and do a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio of running to walking. I need to increase those one mile per week in order to be ready for my Thanksgiving half.

Glad you are on the mend and on track for your half.

Tomorrow I'm going for a facial and massage (a work perk!) so I'll be relaxed and looking great for my race on Sunday. Sunday is supposed to be warm so not so great for running but I've done all my prep, just need to go out there and enjoy it. Everyone keeps asking if I am nervous, but surprisingly I'm not, I have no expectations so I'm very laid back about it. I still want to try for a decent time though, lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

:)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going for a facial and massage (a work perk!) so I'll be relaxed and looking great for my race on Sunday. Sunday is supposed to be warm so not so great for running but I've done all my prep, just need to go out there and enjoy it. Everyone keeps asking if I am nervous, but surprisingly I'm not, I have no expectations so I'm very laid back about it. I still want to try for a decent time though, lol.

That sounds glorious. Have fun at your race on Sunday!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Romy, good luck on your race Sunday. Hope you have a lot of fun!

I finished week 2 of Hal Higdon's 10k Novice program. 3.5 miles in 46:59. That last 1/4 mile was rough, but I pushed through anyhow.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Romy, good luck on your race Sunday. Hope you have a lot of fun!

I finished week 2 of Hal Higdon's 10k Novice program. 3.5 miles in 46:59. That last 1/4 mile was rough, but I pushed through anyhow.

Congrats on finishing Week 2!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Well that's a cool perk! Have fun Sunday!!!!
    Glad you are on the mend and on track for your half.

Oops'd the post... look up two paragraphs :)
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Wow Tim, that's a lot of people in your group run! Are group runs usually that big?

Today at lunch one of the guys I work with (he's been a runner for years) ask me about my 5k. I told him I beat my goal of completing it in under 40 minutes (39:52) and he replied with "jeez did you walk the whole thing?". He then proceeded to tell me that his 11 year old son ran a 10k in just under an hour. His comment caught me off guard, I wasn't really sure how to respond. I just told him that I'll worry about the speed later, right now I'm building mileage/endurance. I'm still really new at this, not quite 3 months yet. He must have realized how he sounded and then told me that it's great that I'm doing this. He sure was crabby, wonder if he missed his morning run :laugh: I really don't care what anyone thinks about my pace. I do this for me, I'm just thrilled that I found something I really love to do.

I did my short run (2 miles) today, on week 2 of Hal Higdon's 10k novice plan. I'm still so new at this that it feels weird to say 2 miles is a short run. :smile:

I am so not okay with that comment from him. You should be super proud of finishing it in under 40 minutes!

I just finished Hall Higdon's 10K novice plan on Saturday. I loved it! And I know exactly what you mean about calling 2 miles your short run. I think I giggled every time I said it for the first month.

This. Let yourself be proud and sink in. And yes, I'm still in awe and disbelief whenever I refer to a "short" or "easy" run. Who's that coming out of my mouth?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I followed my trainer's strategy for my 5K today, which was to push myself out of my comfort zone. First two miles were very fast (for me), I walked most of the third mile, and then I ran in the final tenth.

1:00 - 10:36.15
    2:00 - 11:04.84
    3:00 - 14:18.23
    3.10 - 1:26.05
    Garmin Time: 37:25.27
    Gun Time: 37:29

Even though I was hoping to finish in the 35-36 minute range I'm still happy with my results. I'm even okay with the fact that I walked up most of the big hill at the end that I've been training so hard to run up. :smile: Every time I run I focus on pacing myself to finish, so I don't think it's a bad thing to try to push a little harder. It's all a learning process.

I did shave more than 9 minutes of last year's time in this same race (46:36).
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    I followed my trainer's strategy for my 5K today, which was to push myself out of my comfort zone. First two miles were very fast (for me), I walked most of the third mile, and then I ran in the final tenth.

Even though I was hoping to finish in the 35-36 minute range I'm still happy with my results. I'm even okay with the fact that I walked up most of the big hill at the end that I've been training so hard to run up. :smile: Every time I run I focus on pacing myself to finish, so I don't think it's a bad thing to try to push a little harder. It's all a learning process.

You, like this post, are full of awesome.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

You, like this post, are full of awesome.

You're the sweetest. :flowerforyou:
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Well done, you still beat last year's time by a big margin and you will continue to learn and improve. If you did your best that's all you can do.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Well, you hit a wall at mile 3. So that's checked off your bucket list. Pacing is such a ***** to get down. Have you been doing tempo runs?

Great job on the new PR!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Had a nice morning at Stone Mountain. First I hiked up to the top to see the sunrise. Very cold & windy up there but the sunrise was worth it. After hiking back down I was warmed up again and ready for my run. I did one lap around the mountain which is very close to 5 miles. I ran 4:1 run/walk intervals and felt great the entire time. A little soreness in both hips this time but that's gone now. Then I got on my bike and did a couple of laps for 10 miles total. Then I waited another hour for my wife to finish her 23-mile run. She did it and felt pretty good so I think she's ready for her marathon next month.
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Had a nice morning at Stone Mountain. First I hiked up to the top to see the sunrise. Very cold & windy up there but the sunrise was worth it. After hiking back down I was warmed up again and ready for my run. I did one lap around the mountain which is very close to 5 miles. I ran 4:1 run/walk intervals and felt great the entire time. A little soreness in both hips this time but that's gone now. Then I got on my bike and did a couple of laps for 10 miles total. Then I waited another hour for my wife to finish her 23-mile run. She did it and felt pretty good so I think she's ready for her marathon next month.

Both you AND your wife are incredible!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    9-28-2013_zps40ace0db.jpg

My longest run so far! I ran around my local National Park, one complete loop in the direction that meant the most hills. Started off way too fast (first 1/2 mi pace was 9:39 min/mi), but settled into a nice pace.

Still struggling with a nasty sore spot on the ball of my left foot that really starts to hurt after 4 ish miles. :grumble:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    9-28-2013_zps40ace0db.jpg

My longest run so far! I ran around my local National Park, one complete loop in the direction that meant the most hills. Started off way too fast (first 1/2 mi pace was 9:39 min/mi), but settled into a nice pace.

Still struggling with a nasty sore spot on the ball of my left foot that really starts to hurt after 4 ish miles. :grumble:

Awesome run!

Have you tried putting moleskin or anything on that sore spot?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Awesome run!

Have you tried putting moleskin or anything on that sore spot?

I put a bandage on the spot and wear a thin sock under my running socks. Seems to be the best combination I have found. Moleskin didn't feel right when I tried it, but might try it again.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Laura, your 5k sounds like a nice learning experience. You did well overall, beating last year's time. You got a better idea as far as your pacing. Plus you had fun. All good!

Tim, sounds like a beautiful training run at Stome Mountain. Are the leaves starting to turn yet in Georgia? Here in Maryland/Northern Virginia area things are getting colorful and the runs in the parks are very pretty.

Nice run Ceci! You are doing so well! Hope you can get that sore spot to heal. Have you tried soaking it after your runs? Epsom salts? Would that help?

As far as my runs, my rest week turned out to be much more of a rest from running than I had planned it to be. On Tuesday I ran 5k as planned, then things went downhill. After getting everything packed and driving up to Gettysburg, walking around the site with the judges showing them what they had to work with, then unloading everything and getting things where they needed to be, it was later than I had hoped. Fells and I started our run and I got about 1.3 miles before the IT band and knee said that I had to stop. We turned around and walked back. So much for the Friday run. On Sunday night, after being on my feet walking off and on for two days, getting home and then unpacking the minivan and getting things back into some sort of order, I couldn't even convince myself to put on my running clothes and run just a bit, so no run at all last night.

I also skipped doing my weight training all last week.

So, I'm now starting a new week and plan to get back on schedule.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Tim, sounds like a beautiful training run at Stome Mountain. Are the leaves starting to turn yet in Georgia? Here in Maryland/Northern Virginia area things are getting colorful and the runs in the parks are very pretty.

We are probably 3 weeks from seeing the colors start changing here. Hopefully with all the rain we had we should have a colorful fall up in the mountains. Hope you get back on track with your training and the IT/knee issues get better!