Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy reading all the posts. Nice running for all of you. Sorry, mrsmalcom about the ankle. I hope that the 5k goes well.

Ran 5k tonight. Got out just a bit later than I expected to, so my last mile was done in the dark. I wore reflective and bright clothing, but wasn't lit up and didn't have the glow collar and leash on Fells, so we were very careful to listen for bikes. It was kindof cool to see the bats flying overhead as we ran. Nice run with no problems with my IT band or knee. This was my fastest 5k so far at 15:29 min/mile. I'm pleased with that since it also including going up and down the big hill.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy reading all the posts. Nice running for all of you. Sorry, mrsmalcom about the ankle. I hope that the 5k goes well.

Ran 5k tonight. Got out just a bit later than I expected to, so my last mile was done in the dark. I wore reflective and bright clothing, but wasn't lit up and didn't have the glow collar and leash on Fells, so we were very careful to listen for bikes. It was kindof cool to see the bats flying overhead as we ran. Nice run with no problems with my IT band or knee. This was my fastest 5k so far at 15:29 min/mile. I'm pleased with that since it also including going up and down the big hill.

Nice run, I need to look out my winter running gear now it's going to be dark when I'm running.

Today was supposed to be my last run before my race at the weekend but I've got sore shins. Going to see how they are and maybe run tomorrow or Friday instead. Instead of going for a run I studied the route for my race. The first few hundred metres are uphill (but less than a 10m rise) and the next 8k is downhill!! The final 2k is dead flat. I'm hoping for a good time, but I know I will have trouble beating it at another race, lol! I will just have to come back next year to better it.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Had an awesome group run with the local running store last night. It was their 2nd anniversary of that location and they really organized a nice event. Adidas, Brooks, Hoka, Nike, ASICS, and Mizuno were all there with lots of shoes to test drive. And there was cake. LOTS of cake! There had to be over 300 people there. I ran 3.4 miles at a 9:06 min/mile pace and my hip felt pretty good. A little sore for the first 5 minutes but the pain faded away as I got warmed up. I guess the thought of all that cake waiting for me caused me to pick up the pace faster than I planned. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up visit. Can't wait to tell her about my running progress. I plan to do a 5-mile long run this weekend (doing run/walk intervals) and increase that one mile each week. Hopefully the doctor agrees with my plan. That should get me pretty well prepared for my upcoming races.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Today was supposed to be my last run before my race at the weekend but I've got sore shins. Going to see how they are and maybe run tomorrow or Friday instead. Instead of going for a run I studied the route for my race. The first few hundred metres are uphill (but less than a 10m rise) and the next 8k is downhill!! The final 2k is dead flat. I'm hoping for a good time, but I know I will have trouble beating it at another race, lol! I will just have to come back next year to better it.

What a great course!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Had an awesome group run with the local running store last night. It was their 2nd anniversary of that location and they really organized a nice event. Adidas, Brooks, Hoka, Nike, ASICS, and Mizuno were all there with lots of shoes to test drive. And there was cake. LOTS of cake! There had to be over 300 people there. I ran 3.4 miles at a 9:06 min/mile pace and my hip felt pretty good. A little sore for the first 5 minutes but the pain faded away as I got warmed up. I guess the thought of all that cake waiting for me caused me to pick up the pace faster than I planned. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up visit. Can't wait to tell her about my running progress. I plan to do a 5-mile long run this weekend (doing run/walk intervals) and increase that one mile each week. Hopefully the doctor agrees with my plan. That should get me pretty well prepared for my upcoming races.

Your run groups eats more pizza and cake....
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Your run groups eats more pizza and cake....

LOL - and doughnuts too!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Rode the bicycle 18 miles yesterday, then got up this morning and ran 5k.

9252013_zps2007a017.jpg

Loving this cooler weather!
  • timeasterday
    Options

Great job!!! Yep - I am enjoying the weather too. Last night actually felt a little cold and I had one of my best runs in a long time.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Sounds like a fun fast race, Romy! Good luck!

Tim, sounds like you had a fun time too. I'll have to look at what running groups there are around here. Maybe they have cake and doughnuts too.

Ceci, good riding and running!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Great job!!! Yep - I am enjoying the weather too. Last night actually felt a little cold and I had one of my best runs in a long time.

Wasn't it awesome? And it started to mist a little right when I finished my run.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Here's the group run crowd from last night:

9939672464_bd9b554e80_z.jpg

My wife & I after the run:

9939635565_d1c9b08fb9.jpg
  • likitisplit
    Options

9939672464_bd9b554e80_c.jpg

No wonder your wife is so fast. She's tiny.

Love that double jog stroller in the front. That looks like so much fun!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow Tim, that's a lot of people in your group run! Are group runs usually that big?

Today at lunch one of the guys I work with (he's been a runner for years) ask me about my 5k. I told him I beat my goal of completing it in under 40 minutes (39:52) and he replied with "jeez did you walk the whole thing?". He then proceeded to tell me that his 11 year old son ran a 10k in just under an hour. His comment caught me off guard, I wasn't really sure how to respond. I just told him that I'll worry about the speed later, right now I'm building mileage/endurance. I'm still really new at this, not quite 3 months yet. He must have realized how he sounded and then told me that it's great that I'm doing this. He sure was crabby, wonder if he missed his morning run :laugh: I really don't care what anyone thinks about my pace. I do this for me, I'm just thrilled that I found something I really love to do.

I did my short run (2 miles) today, on week 2 of Hal Higdon's 10k novice plan. I'm still so new at this that it feels weird to say 2 miles is a short run. :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow Tim, that's a lot of people in your group run! Are group runs usually that big?

Today at lunch one of the guys I work with (he's been a runner for years) ask me about my 5k. I told him I beat my goal of completing it in under 40 minutes (39:52) and he replied with "jeez did you walk the whole thing?". He then proceeded to tell me that his 11 year old son ran a 10k in just under an hour. His comment caught me off guard, I wasn't really sure how to respond. I just told him that I'll worry about the speed later, right now I'm building mileage/endurance. I'm still really new at this, not quite 3 months yet. He must have realized how he sounded and then told me that it's great that I'm doing this. He sure was crabby, wonder if he missed his morning run :laugh: I really don't care what anyone thinks about my pace. I do this for me, I'm just thrilled that I found something I really love to do.

I did my short run (2 miles) today, on week 2 of Hal Higdon's 10k novice plan. I'm still so new at this that it feels weird to say 2 miles is a short run. :smile:

I am so not okay with that comment from him. You should be super proud of finishing it in under 40 minutes!

I just finished Hall Higdon's 10K novice plan on Saturday. I loved it! And I know exactly what you mean about calling 2 miles your short run. I think I giggled every time I said it for the first month.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    You know those first 10 minutes that stink? Tonight that was my entire run. It took me 38 minutes to run 3 awfully flat miles. My split times got progressively worse and for the first time ever my first mile was the fast one. I felt like I was running in slow motion, and it turns out I was. It was so bad I didn't even consider going the 3.1 that I usually do.

But I have a nice story. Once my trainer talked me off the "I just want to eat ice cream and sit on the couch in my pajamas while I cry" ledge he gave me a pep talk while I worked out. He talked about how remarkable it is that I haven't had a single injury from running. I told him that's because we started working toward me running from the beginning (started with him in February & started running in May), and that I know that what we do in the gym is why I haven't had any injuries out running. He just beamed at me. It was nice. He really goes above & beyond to encourage my running so I'm glad he understands that I appreciate it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

9939672464_bd9b554e80_z.jpg

What an awesome & huge group! And cute photo of you & your wife.
  • timeasterday
    Options

Just when there's free food! There was around 250 people there that night. A few months ago we had free pizza and more shoes to test drive and there was over 280. But a typical Tuesday run is 60-70 and Thursday it drops off to 40-50.
  • likitisplit
    Options

That's nice for his son. I ran a 10k in just over an hour. There were 10 year olds who beat me. As a matter of fact, in most 5ks, the first woman is about 6 runners back and there's this kid who can't be 15 that comes in sooner than that when he participates.

99% of runners are super supportive. He probably thinks that HE's "super slow" and was taken off guard by reality. A lot of guys start by running track in high school and don't remember what it was like to start. I'm already forgetting how hard that first 1-minute run was. I do remember how strange it was to go out and 'run two miles' though. That's awesome for you!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You know those first 10 minutes that stink? Tonight that was my entire run. It took me 38 minutes to run 3 awfully flat miles. My split times got progressively worse and for the first time ever my first mile was the fast one. I felt like I was running in slow motion, and it turns out I was. It was so bad I didn't even consider going the 3.1 that I usually do.

But I have a nice story. Once my trainer talked me off the "I just want to eat ice cream and sit on the couch in my pajamas while I cry" ledge he gave me a pep talk while I worked out. He talked about how remarkable it is that I haven't had a single injury from running. I told him that's because we started working toward me running from the beginning (started with him in February & started running in May), and that I know that what we do in the gym is why I haven't had any injuries out running. He just beamed at me. It was nice. He really goes above & beyond to encourage my running so I'm glad he understands that I appreciate it.

I can't find it, but there's a Marc Parent quote I always tell myself after those runs. It's something like "I encourage new runners to quit. Every day if possible. Have a little fun with it. Stomp your feet. Break something" So, I think about it. I imagine stomping my feet...quitting...throwing something. It all feels unconvincing because I know I'm just going to get out there again..and everybody else will too.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I can't find it, but there's a Marc Parent quote I always tell myself after those runs. It's something like "I encourage new runners to quit. Every day if possible. Have a little fun with it. Stomp your feet. Break something" So, I think about it. I imagine stomping my feet...quitting...throwing something. It all feels unconvincing because I know I'm just going to get out there again..and everybody else will too.

That's good! I'm going to remember that.