Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I can't believe it but I'm actually considering doing the AllState Half Marathon this weekend. I already paid for it before my injury and was going to sit this one out. I was thinking, heck - I need to run 6 miles anyway this weekend - why not walk 3, run 6, and walk the rest? The minimum pace is 16-min/mile and I can walk faster than that.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    As far as my runs, my rest week turned out to be much more of a rest from running than I had planned it to be. On Tuesday I ran 5k as planned, then things went downhill. After getting everything packed and driving up to Gettysburg, walking around the site with the judges showing them what they had to work with, then unloading everything and getting things where they needed to be, it was later than I had hoped. Fells and I started our run and I got about 1.3 miles before the IT band and knee said that I had to stop. We turned around and walked back. So much for the Friday run. On Sunday night, after being on my feet walking off and on for two days, getting home and then unpacking the minivan and getting things back into some sort of order, I couldn't even convince myself to put on my running clothes and run just a bit, so no run at all last night.

I also skipped doing my weight training all last week.

So, I'm now starting a new week and plan to get back on schedule.

Sounds like your IT bands & knee were telling you it was time for a recovery week. Even though you got an insane number of steps in this weekend hopefully the break from running was the rest your body needed & you can get back to your usual schedule this week.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    9-28-2013_zps40ace0db.jpg

My longest run so far! I ran around my local National Park, one complete loop in the direction that meant the most hills. Started off way too fast (first 1/2 mi pace was 9:39 min/mi), but settled into a nice pace.

Still struggling with a nasty sore spot on the ball of my left foot that really starts to hurt after 4 ish miles. :grumble:

I'm excited to see your 10k race time!
  • likitisplit
    As far as my runs, my rest week turned out to be much more of a rest from running than I had planned it to be. On Tuesday I ran 5k as planned, then things went downhill. After getting everything packed and driving up to Gettysburg, walking around the site with the judges showing them what they had to work with, then unloading everything and getting things where they needed to be, it was later than I had hoped. Fells and I started our run and I got about 1.3 miles before the IT band and knee said that I had to stop. We turned around and walked back. So much for the Friday run. On Sunday night, after being on my feet walking off and on for two days, getting home and then unpacking the minivan and getting things back into some sort of order, I couldn't even convince myself to put on my running clothes and run just a bit, so no run at all last night.

I also skipped doing my weight training all last week.

So, I'm now starting a new week and plan to get back on schedule.

Sounds like running was the only thing you rested from. You need a day off.
  • likitisplit
    I can't believe it but I'm actually considering doing the AllState Half Marathon this weekend. I already paid for it before my injury and was going to sit this one out. I was thinking, heck - I need to run 6 miles anyway this weekend - why not walk 3, run 6, and walk the rest? The minimum pace is 16-min/mile and I can walk faster than that.

But can you walk a 16 minute mile for 13 miles? I mean, it sounds like a great plan, and I know I'm not the fastest walker in the world, but I had a 12 week training plan when I was planning on race walking a few years back.

At least do an 8+ mile walk this week and see if you can maintain a sub-16 minute walk.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Had two 1-mile runs today instead of one 2-mile run. Only had time to get 1 mile in before my trainer session. He kept talking about me doing a second mile after our session and I was adamant that wasn't going to happen. The first mile is the hardest so I wasn't going to do that twice. Walked out of the gym feeling firm that I just wasn't doing a second mile today. Five minutes later I'm at the high school track (it was getting pretty dark out and I was wearing black & gray) lacing up my running shoes, knowing I would regret it later tonight if I didn't do it. And yeah that second first mile was miserable but man I'm glad I did it.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Had two 1-mile runs today instead of one 2-mile run. Only had time to get 1 mile in before my trainer session. He kept talking about me doing a second mile after our session and I was adamant that wasn't going to happen. The first mile is the hardest so I wasn't going to do that twice. Walked out of the gym feeling firm that I just wasn't doing a second mile today. Five minutes later I'm at the high school track (it was getting pretty dark out and I was wearing black & gray) lacing up my running shoes, knowing I would regret it later tonight if I didn't do it. And yeah that second first mile was miserable but man I'm glad I did it.

That was really good getting it in! Now you can sleep easy. :)
  • timeasterday
    But can you walk a 16 minute mile for 13 miles? I mean, it sounds like a great plan, and I know I'm not the fastest walker in the world, but I had a 12 week training plan when I was planning on race walking a few years back.

I don't plan to find out. I would never walk the entire thing - I get really bored walking more than 3-4 miles. That's why I wanted to break it up. Walk the first 3 miles as a warmup then run at least 6 or alternate walking/running. Then walk a little more and run the last 1/2 mile or so just so I can run across the finish line.

I will wait until Saturday to decide. We'll see how I feel after my Tue/Thu group runs.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I registered for my first 10k on November 23rd. I was hoping to find one sooner, but that's the first local one I found. Can't wait!
  • likitisplit

GOOD FOR YOU!
  • likitisplit

I don't plan to find out. I would never walk the entire thing - I get really bored walking more than 3-4 miles. That's why I wanted to break it up. Walk the first 3 miles as a warmup then run at least 6 or alternate walking/running. Then walk a little more and run the last 1/2 mile or so just so I can run across the finish line.

I will wait until Saturday to decide. We'll see how I feel after my Tue/Thu group runs.

You're a lot faster than me running too. If you walk/run the second half, you would probably would be fine.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    I registered for my first 10k on November 23rd. I was hoping to find one sooner, but that's the first local one I found. Can't wait!

That's awesome!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Ran week 4 day 1 today, and got up to 4.17 miles tonight. I finally broke the 4 mile barrier!!! I've been sitting just below it the last week but I finally managed it tonight!! The weather was even cooperating with a nice wind to blow the bugs away and cool me off :laugh: Here's hoping everyone else's run is just as great!
  • timeasterday
    Ran week 4 day 1 today, and got up to 4.17 miles tonight. I finally broke the 4 mile barrier!!! I've been sitting just below it the last week but I finally managed it tonight!! The weather was even cooperating with a nice wind to blow the bugs away and cool me off :laugh: Here's hoping everyone else's run is just as great!

Awesome!! Great job!
  • likitisplit

:)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member

Terrific!

And Great about the 10k Ceci!

I went running this morning! It was my Tuesday run, a bit late, but I ran a nice easy 5k And it generally felt good. Very happy to feel like I've gotten back into the groove again.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Wow, you all ROCK!

Accidental 6 miles this morning. It's was supposed to be 5, but on a new route that, SURPRISE, was a wee-bit longer :) 11:17 pace, which for me over that length is pretty grand! Hill work Friday (ugh) :).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    10.58 miles on the bike yesterday, followed by a 2.2 mi walk with the neighbor.

Got up this morning after only about 3 hours of sleep to run!

10-2-13_zps85dd2aad.jpg
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Wow, you all ROCK!

Accidental 6 miles this morning. It's was supposed to be 5, but on a new route that, SURPRISE, was a wee-bit longer :) 11:17 pace, which for me over that length is pretty grand! Hill work Friday (ugh) :).

YOU rock!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

That's exciting!