Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    5°C today and 91% humidity, had to wear long sleeves! Ran an easy 5k, was still dark when I headed out and there are no lights on my route so running through the woods was interesting.

Got my race pack today, so excited! Got my soup and roll voucher, lol!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The stupid project that was eating up my time was cancelled so I can start going to Pilates on Monday again!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    5°C today and 91% humidity, had to wear long sleeves! Ran an easy 5k, was still dark when I headed out and there are no lights on my route so running through the woods was interesting.

Got my race pack today, so excited! Got my soup and roll voucher, lol!

It must be brisk if you're wearing long sleeves!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    The stupid project that was eating up my time was cancelled so I can start going to Pilates on Monday again!!!

Awesome!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Today I planned a 4.5 m run, but I only made it a .5 mile. I had this pain in the back of my calf down to my ankle. It persisted and so I stopped the run and limped home. I have flat feet and I know I overpronate, but I was fitted for new running shoes back in July. They actually have extra ankle support, which is why I don't get the ankle pain. I am planning to do a half marathon Oct 20th. I have increased my miles quite a bit in the last few weeks, but now I'm worried that this might sideline me indefinitely. I'm not really sure what to do
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Today I planned a 4.5 m run, but I only made it a .5 mile. I had this pain in the back of my calf down to my ankle. It persisted and so I stopped the run and limped home. I have flat feet and I know I overpronate, but I was fitted for new running shoes back in July. They actually have extra ankle support, which is why I don't get the ankle pain. I am planning to do a half marathon Oct 20th. I have increased my miles quite a bit in the last few weeks, but now I'm worried that this might sideline me indefinitely. I'm not really sure what to do

My rather inexperienced feedback would be ice/rest/ibuprofen first. Stretching and foam roller next. Give yourself a couple rest days and take a decent walk a day before you decide to try your next run. Hope it resolves for you quickly.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    10k Saturday! Let the anxious excitement begin!
  • romyhorse
    Options

I would do what jessiekanga said, and hope it's just cramp. I had really bad cramp in my calves when I increased my mileage too much. Take it easy and plenty of stratching, hope it's not anything serious.
  • romyhorse
    Options

Excited for you! Good luck!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would do what jessiekanga said, and hope it's just cramp. I had really bad cramp in my calves when I increased my mileage too much. Take it easy and plenty of stratching, hope it's not anything serious.

I agree. Rest it, roll it, stretch it, and take it a bit slower the next couple of runs. I hope you recover quickly mrsmalcolm!

Good luck! Kick some butt out there!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Last night I continued to follow my doctor's running plan (sort of). Previously I did three runs at 20, 30, and 40 minutes of 2-min run / 3-min walk intervals. Then I am supposed to do 3-min run / 2-min walk intervals again for 20, 30, and 40 minutes. Last night was the first of the new series and I was a little worried going into that run. Last Tuesday I was feeling a little pain in my hip with every step and I just felt tensed up and cautious for the entire 40 minutes. All day Wednesday I felt occasional throbs of pain in and around the hip. Then yesterday my other hip was hurting all day. I thought "what the heck is going on?"

So last night I told myself to just relax and quit worrying about everything. As I started my first running interval there was less pain in my injured hip and the other hip suddenly wasn't bothering me at all. I pushed my running intervals a little faster each time and the more I relaxed and just "let go" the better I felt. I ended up running 35 minutes instead of 20. But in that 35 minutes I ran exactly as far as I did Tuesday in 40 minutes. Overall a 10:37 min/mile pace for 3.2 miles (I walk about 15 min/mile). So far today there's hardly any hip pain. Hopefully I didn't overdo it last night. My next run is Sunday so I have a couple of days to rest.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Last night I continued to follow my doctor's running plan (sort of). Previously I did three runs at 20, 30, and 40 minutes of 2-min run / 3-min walk intervals. Then I am supposed to do 3-min run / 2-min walk intervals again for 20, 30, and 40 minutes. Last night was the first of the new series and I was a little worried going into that run. Last Tuesday I was feeling a little pain in my hip with every step and I just felt tensed up and cautious for the entire 40 minutes. All day Wednesday I felt occasional throbs of pain in and around the hip. Then yesterday my other hip was hurting all day. I thought "what the heck is going on?"

So last night I told myself to just relax and quit worrying about everything. As I started my first running interval there was less pain in my injured hip and the other hip suddenly wasn't bothering me at all. I pushed my running intervals a little faster each time and the more I relaxed and just "let go" the better I felt. I ended up running 35 minutes instead of 20. But in that 35 minutes I ran exactly as far as I did Tuesday in 40 minutes. Overall a 10:37 min/mile pace for 3.2 miles (I walk about 15 min/mile). So far today there's hardly any hip pain. Hopefully I didn't overdo it last night. My next run is Sunday so I have a couple of days to rest.

Even when injured you are still waaaay faster than me! Hope you are on the mend and back racing soon.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Even when injured you are still waaaay faster than me! Hope you are on the mend and back racing soon.

Thanks! I need to stay ahead of my wife! She ran a 10K last weekend and came within a minute of my fastest 10K time. But she's definitely got me on endurance. She ran 16 miles the day after that race!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the 10k, jessiekanga!!

Hope it's just a cramp, mrsmalcom. Rest it and I hope it'll be fine.

Really nice recovery runs, tim! Hope that everything continues to improve.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I just got my calves massaged today because their tightness causes ankle pain. It's the way the ligaments run down your legs.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I decided to take the day off today. I'm just going to stretch and take it easy for a few days and see how it goes. I didn't register for the half yet. If this pain persists, I may just have to wait until next year.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I just got my calves massaged today because their tightness causes ankle pain. It's the way the ligaments run down your legs.

Hope that helps! And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Your calves might feel tomorrow like you ran half a marathon after a deep tissue massage like that.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I decided to take the day off today. I'm just going to stretch and take it easy for a few days and see how it goes. I didn't register for the half yet. If this pain persists, I may just have to wait until next year.

Smart to take the day off, and a few more days if need be. If your body needs to rest you have to let it or you could really injure yourself.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hope the calves feel better, varda and mrsmalcom. Hope you're both feeling back to normal soon.

Did my strength training this afternoon and then ran 5k tonight. Loved the run. The run was the same length as what I ran on Tuesday during my lunch hour. It was even warmer out tonight than it was at noon on Tuesday, but it was evening/night now and without the bright sun and with my dog, Fells, I just felt so much better.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Hope the calves feel better, varda and mrsmalcom. Hope you're both feeling back to normal soon.

Did my strength training this afternoon and then ran 5k tonight. Loved the run. The run was the same length as what I ran on Tuesday during my lunch hour. It was even warmer out tonight than it was at noon on Tuesday, but it was evening/night now and without the bright sun and with my dog, Fells, I just felt so much better.

Glad you had a good run. I'm a morning runner and it's throwing me off that I have to start running in the evening, so I totally get why running a certain time of day just feels better. For my long runs on the weekends at least I can still go in the morning since I can wait to go out until it's light out.