What do you eat at restaurants?

Options
Jlan11
Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
Hello, today we ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant and I tried to keep it low carb. I basically had chicken fajitas without any sides and I added cheese to the chicken. I'm really hoping the cheese didn't have any hidden carbs! What are some things you eat when you go out to eat? So far it's been my biggest dilemma!

Replies

• PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Steak is my go-to if it's on the menu. And I'll drench it in real butter. Steamed veggies for a side. I try to stay away from salads since the dressings are usually full of sugars. Burgers are sometimes a safe bet. Toss the bun, of course and ask to make sure the burger doesn't have carb laden fillers. Fish if it isn't breaded. Pork chops if they aren't breaded. Any restaurant that serves breakfast all day will have bacon and eggs, just don't get the toast or hash browns.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I usually scope out the nutritional menu beforehand so I can see if there's any hidden carbs. But my go-to is usually steak and steamed veggies or sautéed veggies, cobb salad with blue cheese dressing (blue cheese dressing is usually safe), classic hot wings! Or lettuce wrapped burgers.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like the Mexican places like Chipotle where you can get a bowl - no rice or beans.

Steak

Big caesar salad with protein (no croutons)

Several places we like have bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer. I get that as my meal with a side salad.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    For a Mexican place, fajitas are great, just toss the tortillas. Cheese always contains some carbs, but I've never seen a Mexican blend that would contain more than 1.5g/oz. The peppers and onions will also contain a negligible amount, unless they've added sugar to them, which I've never seen. In most Mexican food, salt is the go to fling around additive.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Almost always have a bacon cheeseburger without the bun, or steak and veggies with butter
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    my husband insisted on Boston's last night (it's either a spinoff of Boston Pizza or used to be a Boston Pizza - either way it was pretty slim pickings for me) and I had oven baked wings and a grilled chicken cobb salad. Not the greatest at 13g carbs but there was no steak on the menu, which is normally my go-to!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    my husband insisted on Boston's last night (it's either a spinoff of Boston Pizza or used to be a Boston Pizza - either way it was pretty slim pickings for me) and I had oven baked wings and a grilled chicken cobb salad. Not the greatest at 13g carbs but there was no steak on the menu, which is normally my go-to!

Wings work amazingly well when they are available, assuming that you can get them with no sauces involved. They are what I default to anytime someone I am around wants to order pizza. They're almost perfectly 50/50 split between fat and protein as calorie sources.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Wings work amazingly well when they are available, assuming that you can get them with no sauces involved. They are what I default to anytime someone I am around wants to order pizza. They're almost perfectly 50/50 split between fat and protein as calorie sources.

Yeah, that's why I ate the wings, needed more fat since the chicken on the salad was grilled breast (blech). Unfortunately they were 1g carb per wing I assume due to the sauce but I only ate 4. And with my recent tries at higher carb dinners I guess it isn't the end of the world, either. Honestly the irritation is that my husband has used this vacation as his liberty to veer completely off plan and seems determined to try to drag me with him.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Yeah, that's why I ate the wings, needed more fat since the chicken on the salad was grilled breast (blech). Unfortunately they were 1g carb per wing I assume due to the sauce but I only ate 4. And with my recent tries at higher carb dinners I guess it isn't the end of the world, either. Honestly the irritation is that my husband has used this vacation as his liberty to veer completely off plan and seems determined to try to drag me with him.

Ouch. Fortunately, the only real vacation I ever went on was with an ex who was a competitive powerlifter, so she was just as adamant about staying on course as I was.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    The Mexican places I go to have either chicken or steak with mixed veggies and cheese. I get that and sub guacamole for rice. Or the fajitas...however I dislike onions and usually end up getting them anyhow when I ask for them to be left off so I don't get them often.

Other places I go I get steaks, side salads with no onion or crouton and ranch, steamed veggies, fish without breadings, chicken wings, cobb salads, bunless burgers, burrito bowls without the rice or beans, and breakfast stuff like eggs, sausage, and bacon. As long as they have meat, cheese, or eggs I can make something work! :)
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad is one of my favorite go tos. Burgers without the buns, steaks, veggies, fajitas w/ cilantro and sour cream, there's a place I go to for local Mexican where I actually ate their salsa with a spoon, bc it's so good.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Much like everyone else - steak, pork chops and burgers. My side is always a Caesar salad. Most other sides are either carb filled or veggies I don't care for.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lots of good advice here already so I'll just add to the list:

Red Robin - Lettuce wrapped burger of your choice, broccoli as a side (I think it's unlimited broccoli, just like the fries are unlimited)

Jimmy Johns - Unwich, any sub you want lettuce wrapped. You can double the meat or cheese. The gargantuan is my favorite when I'm super hungry.

Chipotle - Salad with burrito fillings, no dressing (no idea what's in it). Steak, chicken, guac, sour cream and a little salsa if you want it. You can double the meat if you need a protein boost.

Taco Bell - You can order "sides" and combine them to create a salad. Two sides of lettuce, a side of beef, a side of chicken, a side of sour cream, cheese and guac. Mix and match as you please.

Any steakhouse - Plain steak with butter and veggies. Stay away from pulled pork or ribs, those sauces are sugary.

Old Spaghetti Factory - Watch out for this place. The meatballs have breading in them. The only low carb friendly dish according to MFP is their broccoli with marzcapone cheese. It's delicious but it's the only thing I can have there. Even the salads are iffy and very high in calories.

Cheesecake factory - Cobb salad seemed ok nutrition wise but it looked like they pulsed it in a blender. They will also sub tortilla chips for veggies for an extra $2 if you want the spinach dip appetizer. They have a low carb cheesecake but I've never had it so I can't vouch for the taste.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Any steakhouse - Plain steak with butter and veggies. Stay away from pulled pork or ribs, those sauces are sugary.
    Ruby Tuesday offers something called Texas Dusted ribs, which "only" clock in at 13g carbs for a full rack. All of the others are sugarsnot covered though.

Full Rack TD: 1023 kcal, 69g fat, 13g carbs, 88g protein, 1939mg sodium.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    At Mexican restaurants when I'm eating on plan (I have to specify, because Mexican restaurants are my biggest weakness) I love to order queso flameado with chicken, skip the tortillas, but I don't know if there's anything higher carb in there. It's not in the descriptions, but you never know. I also like to order dinners that consist of chicken breast or steak with various toppings and sides. The safest option is probably what you had--fajitas without tortillas. But isn't it really all pretty much the same? Extra guacamole and sour cream are necessities.

At other restaurants I just search for whatever meats are not breaded and order them with vegetables or salad instead of whatever carby sides they usually come with. Fast food is usually a burger without the bun or a salad with meats, easy on the salad. ;) I always skip bread products when I'm eating on plan, including croutons, tortilla strips, whatever.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Meat and veggies

Simple things I know.

No Breading and no creamy sauces

But butter for sure!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Eating out is so much easier now! This is the first woe that has made me feel free to be more social. Like everyone else, I stick with steak and a side of non-starchy veg, which is available at most dinner restaurants. Lunch can sometimes be more complicated, if there isn't a salad that works, I either get a bunless burger or eat the inside of a sandwich. Breakfast of course is super easy... Bacon and eggs! Chinese food is probably the most challenging and I do avoid it like the plague, especially since it used to be my go-to comfort food. But if I'm stuck with it, I get a meat and veg dish and ask for no sauce, then I go home and lick some butter lol.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    On my recent trip to Ruby Tuesday I had 2 mini burgers without buns or ketchup, had the spaghetti squash instead of fries, and made a carb friendly salad off of the salad bar.
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Steak and salad , chicken wings in buffalo sauce, Greek salad with extra feta and olives topped with chicken or shrimp. That's a few of my "go to" meals when I'm out lately. I've done the burger with no bun a few times but my hubby always pokes fun when I do that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    6mimi wrote: »
    On my recent trip to Ruby Tuesday I had 2 mini burgers without buns or ketchup, had the spaghetti squash instead of fries, and made a carb friendly salad off of the salad bar.

I've always found their spaghetti squash to be utterly disgusting. I knew someone had to like it though, because they've been making it for years. I've always been more a fan of their grilled zucchini. The net carb counts are pretty similar between the two though, so it's pretty balanced in that area (3g on the zucchini vs 4g on the squash).