I Broke McDonald's

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
:smiley:

Let me start by admitting that I am comfortable ordering food for how I eat. I know how to order things and I can even walk most cashiers through the process of ringing it up correctly. Still, I am a bit of a PITA guest.

So, tonight my son and I roll into McD's for dinner. I order "3 quarter pound patties a la carte, two round eggs, and two slices of white cheddar cheese. Just throw it all in the same container."

This blows their mind. I try and explain how to ring it up, but she calls for her manager. They finally get it right. Then my son orders his meal (which is plain plus cheese).

The food comes out and they forgot my cheese. I go up to get it and when I come back my son is visibly upset. "They put an egg and the wrong cheese on my chicken!"

Lol, somehow they threw a third egg onto his sandwich. Which was cool, because extra for me.

In the end it was no big deal. But I thought it was funny.

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even try that order there. 90% of the time they struggle with my large iced coffee with no liquid sweetener.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I wouldn't even try that order there. 90% of the time they struggle with my large iced coffee with no liquid sweetener.

I sometimes have issues with my orders. But most places are not that bad. With iced coffee, they never get it right. I usually ask for a hot coffee and a large cup for ice. Sometimes they want to charge for a large cup, so it doesn't always work out. But, the ice tea is usually a dollar, so I might order that (unsweet) instead if they give me issues with the coffee.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Extra egg is a win!

It blows their minds though! Maybe, one day they will get it! But, I doubt it!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I find McDonald's the worst out of all the fast food places in understanding what I want. I like Wendy's or A&W because they don't bat an eye when you say no bun. They ask if you want a lettuce wrap and if you don't, then you can just say no and it's totally cool with them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had a surprisingly easy time ordering at several different restaurants while traveling from Ohio to Florida and back. And while eating on vacation too.
    I did eat more veggies than normal though...
    Penn Station had no issues putting my cheesesteak on a bed of lettuce.
    A family owned Mexican place actually had a "Fiesta Salad" on the menu which was basically fajita stuff with shrimp and chicken on lettuce. Adding extra guacamole made it pretty much the best way to ever eat a salad!
    A BBQ place sold pork by the pound, so that was easy! Didn't go with the dinner menu there. Just asked for half a pound on a plate and shared with my daughter. Guy was kinda baffled that I was literally just going to eat meat and nothing else. lol
    I got crab legs pretty much the same way at another place.
    And we had a few burgers along the way with no issues at all going bun-less.
    Pretty easy the entire week.
    The one day my daughter and I drive to a nearby island and left my husband and son to do their own thing, they went out for donuts! lol I guess they felt like they had to take advantage while they could.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hm I will have to remember this. We're going on a two-week road trip soon and I need to know all my options! ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I find McDonald's the worst out of all the fast food places in understanding what I want. I like Wendy's or A&W because they don't bat an eye when you say no bun. They ask if you want a lettuce wrap and if you don't, then you can just say no and it's totally cool with them.

My problem with ordering like that is cost.

3 bunless quarter pounders is about $13.50. Three 1/4 patties is $3.60. Add cheese at 30 cents a slice and I am set. I want it plain anyway. The eggs are usually about $1 each, which is high compared to the beef, but I like them.

I generally eat 2 meals a day and aim for around a pound or more of meat. That can get brutal if I get charged full prices on burgers that I don't eat most of.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's a regional problem. Here in California (Los Angeles) every restaurant gets patty only or protein or lettuce wrap. There was only one fancy schmansy hipster place I went that REFUSED to alter their menu in ANY way. I argued that I'm just going to throw the bum away and they said fine.... But we won't alter the menu
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Totally agree, plus A&W have beef that is not fed hormones and extra antibiotics, same with the chicken. And Wendy's will throw three servings of blue cheese on my salad, 'cause they know me there, I'm a 'regular'... and I tell the newbies where to find the secret 'extra blue cheese' button in the till screen. LOL
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I get the most unusual looks when I go to a Subway (except the local one where they know me). I order a meatball salad, lettuce and spinach, American cheese, jalapenos, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, spicy mustard, and olive oil. It is basically a meatball sub, only with no bun and plenty of veggies. But as soon as I say "meatball salad," they are not sure if they heard right.

Sometimes I'm at work and too busy to go out for lunch. If I write it down and send someone else, the workers at Subway know exactly who it is for because I'm the only person ever to order a meatball salad apparently.

No you aren't hahaha, that's what I used to order too. Except I found out that the meatballs have breading in them so now I can't order it - not gluten free. :(
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

My problem with ordering like that is cost.

3 bunless quarter pounders is about $13.50. Three 1/4 patties is $3.60. Add cheese at 30 cents a slice and I am set. I want it plain anyway. The eggs are usually about $1 each, which is high compared to the beef, but I like them.

I generally eat 2 meals a day and aim for around a pound or more of meat. That can get brutal if I get charged full prices on burgers that I don't eat most of.

Yes, good point. I may have to order a la carte for my dinner tonight. Trying carnivore for a week and will be out and about. Makes sense to order just the patties.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this too! I honestly didn't know you could order a la carte! I always just order a burger without the bun.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    These days my dad asks for my wraps/buns/fries. He enjoys eating them...sadly.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The best reaction I got was the time I went to O'Charley's (a mid-range casual dining lunch/dinner joint that does things like steaks, burgers, fish, chicken, etc) and tried to order a lettuce-wrapped burger. The waiter just looked at me like I'd grown a second head and started speaking Chinese. He literally could not comprehend a burger using lettuce for a bun. I ended up with two tiny leaves of green leaf lettuce that were promptly obliterated by the burger juice (because leaf lettuce is not a sturdy lettuce by any stretch of the imagination).

One of my favorites for casual sit-down in Bob Evans (for those not east of the Mississippi, it's a regional chain of lower-cost ($10-15/person average) all-day dining based here in Ohio), because the menu is basically just "sane defaults" and they don't bat an eye at changing things pretty much entirely. I think I'm one of the primary reasons they added a "build your own omelet" option, since I'd always pick their simplest, then ask them to drop the peppers and onions (leaving it just a ham and cheese omelet).
    I had a surprisingly easy time ordering at several different restaurants while traveling from Ohio to Florida and back. And while eating on vacation too.
    I did eat more veggies than normal though...
    Penn Station had no issues putting my cheesesteak on a bed of lettuce.
    A family owned Mexican place actually had a "Fiesta Salad" on the menu which was basically fajita stuff with shrimp and chicken on lettuce. Adding extra guacamole made it pretty much the best way to ever eat a salad!
    A BBQ place sold pork by the pound, so that was easy! Didn't go with the dinner menu there. Just asked for half a pound on a plate and shared with my daughter. Guy was kinda baffled that I was literally just going to eat meat and nothing else. lol
    I got crab legs pretty much the same way at another place.
    And we had a few burgers along the way with no issues at all going bun-less.
    Pretty easy the entire week.
    The one day my daughter and I drive to a nearby island and left my husband and son to do their own thing, they went out for donuts! lol I guess they felt like they had to take advantage while they could.

1. I totally forgot you were in Ohio! We need to meet up some time, I'm just up in Columbus! :)

2. Sub shops seem to be increasingly get the whole "no bread" thing. I know Jersey Mike's has a "sub in a tub" option, which is literally the guts of a sub, in one of those carry-out tubs. I do get some fun reactions from newbies when I ask for mayo. I think they go into salad mode, so may doesn't really compute and they're like "uh...how do I do this?" I often just politely say, "just plop it in there. :)"

3. The BBQ sounds like City BBQ. They sell their meats by the pound, too. It's glorious (especially since nearly all of their sides are bready carbage).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I get the most unusual looks when I go to a Subway (except the local one where they know me). I order a meatball salad, lettuce and spinach, American cheese, jalapenos, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, spicy mustard, and olive oil. It is basically a meatball sub, only with no bun and plenty of veggies. But as soon as I say "meatball salad," they are not sure if they heard right.

Sometimes I'm at work and too busy to go out for lunch. If I write it down and send someone else, the workers at Subway know exactly who it is for because I'm the only person ever to order a meatball salad apparently.

No you aren't hahaha, that's what I used to order too. Except I found out that the meatballs have breading in them so now I can't order it - not gluten free. :(

Fair enough - it's just unusual enough that many Subways haven't made that order before. I didn't know the meatballs have breading... it can't be very much because the carb count is still pretty low, but I can understand if even a little bit is too much.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Totally agree, plus A&W have beef that is not fed hormones and extra antibiotics, same with the chicken. And Wendy's will throw three servings of blue cheese on my salad, 'cause they know me there, I'm a 'regular'... and I tell the newbies where to find the secret 'extra blue cheese' button in the till screen. LOL

Hahaha you're so funny! I love my regular Starbucks because the morning supervisor sees me and just asks what size I want. My go-to order is an unsweetened ice coffee with heavy cream. But I say 'liquid whipped cream' or else they will go and put half and half in it, or coffee cream. When the barista is unfamiliar with me, I just tell them to just give me the carton of 'the whipped cream before it gets whipped'. Going to be sad when I move and have to get familiar with another barista...:-(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

Finally someone who understands my struggle. lol. I have the worst time getting an iced coffee at McDonald's. I give 100 disclaimers "no liquid sugar, no sweeteners of any kind, just coffee and cream" 9 times out of 10 I get a sweetened coffee and have to send it back. One girl I gave it back to and emphasized just coffee and cream actually said "why do you have to confuse me like this!" What is so confusing about unsweetened coffee??? lol. I do have good luck with bunless burgers there so that's nice.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Face it folks, retail businesses in America have been dumbed down until a request that requires anything more complicated than finding the correct cash register icon to push is pushing boundaries. There are a few national companies who give their employees both training and scope for independent action but they're few and getting fewer.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Face it folks, retail businesses in America have been dumbed down until a request that requires anything more complicated than finding the correct cash register icon to push is pushing boundaries. There are a few national companies who give their employees both training and scope for independent action but they're few and getting fewer.

To be fair, most don't exactly pay at a rate designed to attract the smartest employees.