Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great news, rusgolden, and comgrats on bettering your time.
    Ceci, so glad you're with us still :D
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good to have you running again Ceci, and evading those Zombies!
    Rus, you're going great guns dude! Heat and Humidity suck, and unfortunately only way to learn to deal with them, is run in them :( Fitter and more experienced you get, the better at judging your expectations on crappy weather days!
    AglaeaC are you going to progress onto B210K now you're done with C25K or something else?

Last week I had Gastro drop me, and ran a grand total of 4.5k, which as previously stated had more walking than running being the W1D1 of C25K... this week my numbers are looking better, but I missed a session again. This time due to a fecking head cold!
    Monday was a good bike/run brick session, with the C25K Tyre Drag edition, Tuesday I did my social run and kept good pace, pretty comfortably considering the cold. Wednesday I tried not to die. Thursday I was a little more alive.
    Tonight I did my bike/run session again. I had to change the tube on the front tyre before I could even head out for a ride... first time doing that in 20+ years... feck it was hard lol
    Ride felt ok, except for cross winds and head wind in both direction.. dropped some speed from the last ride, but also dropped 10bpm average on the HR which is huge for me.
    C25K TD edition sucked! Even the dog was flat today. Still it's all done and in the bank now.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn Love your recap! I got an award from my girls' bike group for "No Tire Left Unchanged." I changed 6 tubes on 3 rides because the riders with the flat tires didn't know how. (I made sure they knew how by the time we were done!) It gets easier, and there are tricks to make it even easier.

I rode with the group for the first time in 6 weeks yesterday. It was hot and humid, but I had fun trying to keep up.

Got up this morning and ran from the Zombies at the national park. I just thought it was humid yesterday. This was a hard 2.38 mile run/ walk, but I did it!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I had to take a few days off because I had a knee problem. I've had knee problems in the past (before I started running), but they were more typical arthritis. This was, apparently, a ligament problem. I don't think my running caused it, but since I could barely walk on Monday after pushing myself to take our usual 5 mile walk, I cut way back. I took Tuesday off completely, then a relatively short, non-hilly walk on Wednesday and then back to the usual 5 mile hill climbing walk yesterday. And, the knee didn't act up again.

So, today, I just did 5K. I could feel it in the knee a little, but now a few hours later the knee isn't bothering me, so I am hopeful that it is healed. Still, I'm not going to jump right back to where I was in the program (which would be W4D1) but instead do at least one day of each previous week to ramp back up to where I was.

My stats today: 3.11 miles in 39:26 for a pace of 12:40. The last time I did 5K on that same hill, back in early June, my pace was 14:16! I guess I am improving.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work Nancy and I hope your knee doesn't keep giving you any trouble!
    Glad everything is going well with you Ceci :)

Tonight I progress onto C25K W2D1... increased drag time is going to be interesting, hopefully the wind isn't so brutal on the bike this time too.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Another Zombies Run this morning for 3.06 total miles including some walking intervals. It is hot.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I was going to do a week 1 run (of 5K to 10K) today, but my phone let me down - RunDouble quit and MMW was giving me nonsense - so I ended up trying to run but dropping to a walk fairly frequently. I really need a program to keep me on task. Then, on the way back down my knee was twinging a bit, and my husband was walking not too far behind me (he was walking and turned around when I got back to where he was), so since the tracking wasn't working anyway, I just quit running and walked the rest of the way with him. :/
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @NancyN795 Just keep ticking along with the programs then. Nothing wrong at all with needing a program to keep you moving. I think more runners than not do better with one. Hope your knee comes good soon.

Yay for evading more Zombies Ceci!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    The bike/td session on Monday was good, going faster than I expected although partially assisted by an energetic dog! Tuesday I did about 20K some solo, some with a friend and some with my group run. I was actively working to keep that 20k easy and comfortable. Legs felt it though.
    Last night was the bike/td session, both bike and TD session were a bit slower than Monday, but hey more mileage in the legs! Still happy with the session :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I woke up in plenty of time to run this morning, but I looked at the thermometer on the front porch and it said 80F. At 6 AM. NOPE!

I did ride with my girls Tuesday and Wednesday, and will ride again today. I made my fundraising goal for my upcoming American Diabetes Association Tour deCure. I signed up for 100k (before I had surgery and the subsequent stress fracture). I think I can still do it, although it will be a much slower 100k than I did last year.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I succeeded in doing the 5K to 10K Week 1 run that I'd planned on doing Monday today. Pretty good run. The weather was fairly cool, with clouds - although the wind was a bit more than I'd like occasionally (I don't want to lose my hat and it makes it hard to hear the podcast I have playing). It did take some willpower to get out there and do it after taking it easy for a while after my knee problem.

My stats today: 4.38 miles in 58:00 for a pace of 13:15. The last time I did the same run, back in early July, my pace was 13:32. More evidence of improvement.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Today I did a 5K to 10K Week 2 run. I was going to do it yesterday, but my phone totally bailed on me again and I recognized it fairly early in the run, so I just gave up rather than fighting with it and just rejoined my husband on the walk instead (lately, on days when I run, he walks our usual route while I run and when I finish my running I use the cool down to walk back and rejoin him for the end of the walk).

My stats today: 5.07 miles in 65:29 for a pace of 12:54. That pace amazes me! I'm not sure how I did it - I sure didn't feel fast today. The last time I did the same run, back on July 16, my pace was 13:52.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work @NancyN795 bugger about your phone. Maybe you need to close all the background programs and even give it a reboot!

Friday I did my brick session again, although went riding in different places. 30K on the bike, and then C25K dragging the tyre. Really hammered the legs.
    Saturday was parkrun and a friends 100th parkrun, ran at what felt comfortable the entire time and came in just under 22min. Great to feel like my fitness is returning.
    Yesterday arvo I did some trails, but linked the hills of said trails in a very brutal manner. 16.7km of running for 870m of elevation change
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hello! it's been about a year since i've posted anything, and it's nice to see some familiar names and a bunch of new ones. i thought i'd pop in to say hi. i took a "break" from running this past winter as i didn't like getting out in our coastal, rainy weather. happily in february i started running again.

around may i thought i'd challenge myself with a half-marathon goal (not a race, i still haven't run a single race) and will run my "goal run" in two weeks. to be completely honest, i start my long run mornings pretty nervous. i have only been running for a year (including my 4 month "holiday" this winter!) and didn't think i'd ever go farther than 10-12 km. it's really hard work running these longer distances, and i intimidate myself with my drive to complete.

i thought i'd rejoin the group for motivation after i reach my goal. i find the structure of a program very helpful, so will be looking for some ideas in a little bit. :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Welcome back @maggiekat7 always happy to offer advice on programs etc.
    I've been running on 3 years now and I've only ran like 9 actual races. Not everyone races, and if you're happy just running, then go for it!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    @taeliesyn and all, I just moved on to Hal Higdon, W1D1. It's nice for a change to listen to my own music only, but the route lengths vary on each of the three running days, so I'll have to do some measuring today, then make notes. Currently I need as easy as possible, which means increasing distance regardless of time. The problem with C25K for me has been that I run, but this is the second time to graduate with a below 5K result for the 30 minutes, and so I prefer to increase distance at my own speed if that makes sense. We're having cooler weather today, which was a nice incentive, and I got a bit showered at the end as well, but running after a longer burst of migraines is very welcome.

@Just_Ceci and @NancyN795 you rock so much.

@maggiekat7 welcome back! Can you choose something that would mean turning toward home at the halfway point or similar to trick you into thinking it's a bit shorter? I run around my neighbourhood only yet it easily adds up to 5K. The longer run around the boundaries of the neighbourhood will be the full 10K for me, but I'm never horribly far from home, should something happen. Which brings me on to a question, if it's okay. Why do you think you're nervous? Is it because you think you can't finish or something else? Safety, health, etc.? Regardless of your reason, we'll be happy to cheer you on!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Ugh, forgot to ask a question to everyone. I wonder how warming up is included in your programmes? When the task is to run for instance 7K, is the warm-up included or not?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Ugh, forgot to ask a question to everyone. I wonder how warming up is included in your programmes? When the task is to run for instance 7K, is the warm-up included or not?

I usually don't include the warm-up or cool down in the run total. RunDouble has a built in 5 minute warm up and open cool down, plus the run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got up early this morning to run from the zombies. Summer running sucks.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hi @AglaeaC! i'm nervous, i think, because i'm a bit of a control freak and i have no experience with running these long distances. i worry that i'm not properly prepared: will i have enough water? do i need to eat something? can i actually DO this?

i'm a stressed-out control freak. awesome. what a great running partner i'd be. :p

sometimes, i think i'm just working myself up as an excuse to quit. this is the hardest physical challenge i've tried (outside of childbirth, LOL!) and it takes a considerable amount of pep-talk to psych myself up for these 2 hour runs.

@taeliesyn - i love running, just wished i'd found out sooner! ;)