Newbie - Any surprises on carbohydrates that crept in when you first started?

Options
I'm day three into Atkins. I'll have to admit it's been a bit tougher than I thought. It's not anything that I haven't been able to work through. Tonight we went to eat Japanese for my daughter's birthday. I tried to be really good and passed on the onion soup (wasn't sure of the carb count if any - but I love that stuff), skipped the rice and asked for extra vegetables, ordered filet mignon and shrimp and had a side salad (with Ranch) that consisted of basically lettuce with a few strands of carrot, which I picked out. I didn't have any sauces other than soy sauce the chef used to cook with. Oh yeah, I passed on the mint... that was hard to do.

My concern is I was entering this into MFP and it showed the shrimp having 17 carbs! Then I looked around the internet and found a higher carb content that I thought was possible. Atkins shows them at the most at 1.8 NC.

Has anyone accidentally tripped up and had some carbohydrates sneak in? I've been trying to stay to the letter.

I was really not satisfied with anything I've eaten over the past couple of days. I felt tired and weak and was craving an Atkins chocolate shake. I put one in the freezer and had it as a snack after dinner last night. I plan on doing one a day if I have to have it. Tonight I had one cup of unsweetened almond milk and added 1 ounce of Atkins chocolate shake. It gave it just enough sweet for me to feel satisfied. It helped me out a lot. For some reason, the unsweetened almond milk has a calming effect on my cravings.

Happy to be here. Have a long way to go but I'm confident that I can do this.

Replies

• GiveHerWingsSheWillFly
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding and your encouragement. I really appreciate the advice.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yep dasher gave my fave recommendations too!! ..Keto flu is hard as we dump sugar/fructose and carbs the first 2 weeks..stickign with it almost always gives a woosh of water weight..and as some say..why carry 7 pounds of extra waeraround? So stick with it..

I follow a very specific kidney diet..I can eat no meat for protein, so protein for me it is full fat yogurt ( with 7 carbs per cup) a few eggs, limited cheese ( as a garnish usually) and lots of veggies..I have 8 main ones I eat all the time..and they have a few carbs, carrots highest, but i dont have a choice! I can barely keep under 40-50 carbs

So if you HAVE the freedom to stick with great meat dishes, and eggs, and cheese in quantity.then you have a real advantage other diets don't offer.

My only caveat--
    Depending on your age and metabolism you may lose slower than a 22 yr old of same weight, and the heavier/more ones seem to lose faster...but you still can lose, improve blood sugar, lose inflammation in joints, etc.

I started with regular LCHF for 2 mo, lost 15 lbs, then had to stop all meat protein for my kidney disease, vent vegetarian and lost another 15lbs.

I wish I had what others can have daily, but such is life.

there are so many sites if you search for LCHF you can cook and bake forever... I LOVE making a pizza base with cauliflower, and egg, some cheese and oil...and almond flour for making is great when you get further along.
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 again also. Day 3 and day 6 are the hardest for me. Glad my son brought me a elliptical. Even tho I can only do 5 minutes at the most it still helps. Also in O A for additional support.
  • Jadinsedai
    Jadinsedai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just made this "Atkins friendly - Low Carb cream of broccoli soup" from Pinterest the other day and like a air head I did finished reading the article before making it. Turns out it's 16 net carbs per serving! I'm still in induction so there's now way!

Also the amount of carbs in onion really surprised me.