Hungry!

Options
I've been doing IF, mostly 8:30pm-at least 12pm, for about a week, so very new to it, but I am hungry ALL OF THE TIME. It's been good in that I've learned that being hungry doesn't kill me, and if I am particularly hungry on a day, I try to listen to my body and feed it more. I am losing weight for the first time in months, so I'm hoping this is not a sign my body doesn't like this WOE. It's a little baby 'fast' really, so I can't imagine it's health threatening. I think I am probably consuming less kj overall than before doing IF, but not less than MFP allocates me - I am on the short side so I don't get a lot of kj to play with anyway. So maybe my stomach is just complaining at getting less.

So is hunger just something you have to get used to, or is it usual as your stomach and system adapt?

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    So maybe my stomach is just complaining at getting less.

So is hunger just something you have to get used to, or is it usual as your stomach and system adapt?

I would guess so. See where you're at in a month. Eating big meals, you shouldn't be hungry _all the time_ though, forever. Unless you're eating some screwy macros that aren't doing much for satiety. Also, you could try out one of the full-day/weekly context protocols (5:2, ADF) at some point. Like you said, being hungry's not gonna kill you and that's a hugely important thing to figure out. So good job.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started by sipping a protein shake over the course of a few hours to curb the hunger. Occasionally I'll have some hot and sour soup that's about 17 cals per 8 oz, but I'm now at the point where I can handle 16:8 fairly easily and have gone 24 hours without anything but non-caloric liquids.

Just takes time to adapt. I used to ALWAYS eat breakfast and have enjoyed skipping it most days. Some weekends I take off from 16:8. I was mixing 24 hours with 16:8, but I think that's a bit much for me at the moment so shooting for some consistency so I can get back on track.

Friday I have a Dexscan and will check my RMR at the same time.
  • doodleswithpencils
    doodleswithpencils Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I seem to be adapting now, not so hungry, and if I am it usually passes, or within my feeding window a cup of coffee or tea with honey does me. Definitely, making sure to get in fats and obviously protein helps. I think carbs make me hungrier, but could be just the fact of consuming less protein if I've gone for the carby stuff. I couldn't make it to 12 today though, so I did 11-7 instead. It worked out. Not snacking at night is pretty revolutionary for me lol.

I've never in the past even considered fasting, and in terms of a proper 24 hour+ fast, I'm still not there, but confronting (and defeating) hunger has probably been a game changer. One day I might actually attempt it. But not in a hurry right now!
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The cool part is when you do it, you probably will feel good that day. I try to low carb as much as I can. It's hard to just nibble on something sweet at times - I want to devour it.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm not fasting regularly but when I do fast by skipping supper the hunger is mild. I think it because I already got to the point where I didn't need to snack. For me I did that by cutting much of the added sugar in my diet, but that was after 4 years of increasing exercise and already losing 16 kg.

Next week I'll be trying more like a 30 hour fast because I'm going to take an overseas trip and trying to reduce the jet lag. I'm a bit worried about the possible hunger though.
  • maezombiegirl
    maezombiegirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try eating really high fat as your last meal before the fast?