Anyone here living with a significant other making it hard to learn and live healthier?

Options

Replies

• wadingcygnet
    wadingcygnet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep, my partner wants to lose weight but is constantly plying everyone around him with junk food. I had an epiphany that what was making me reach for high-GI stuff is sleep deprivation (small kids), so my approach now is to remind myself that that's probably why he's doing it too, but that I no longer think it's the best way to improve my energy levels. And that it's okay to say no, I am not rejecting his affection just his crisps!
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My spouse is 125 pounds. He can eat anything he wants and not gain any weight. He is a very picky eater, he doesn't eat fruit and the only veggies he eats is potatoes and corn on the cob. He also eats a lot of processed meals and he doesn't like seafood. I have been cooking separate meals mostly for about 10 years. Our daughter picks what she wants to eat. Daddy's dinner or my dinner or a little of both. I find it hard to cook for 1 but I usually cook enough for leftovers for lunch the next day or even dinner. I make chili or soup and freeze the leftovers as he doesn't like beans either. Once in a while I will eat what he is eating but not very often. He also does bring home the junk food sometimes and teases me with it but mostly there is no junk food (chips, etc) in house. I guess you cannot have everything in life.
  • ravenswingedfeet
    ravenswingedfeet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband is addicted to desserts and most other sweets, and eats a lot of meat and dairy. I was in Europe recently which made it much easy to get back to eating a clean diet because everything in Geneva is very over salted and the diet is bread and cheese based. Now I hate salt, bread, cheese, sugar, and french fries (which are served with almost everything in Switzerland.) So I am currently struggling to eat clean while having to cook two complete dinners. He has agreed to give up beef, for now. Maybe more will come later.
  • hisgirlhoward
    hisgirlhoward Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually my husband encouraged us to change our eating. We're middle age and even though we thought we were eating healthy, the SAD diet (The Standard American Diet) his numbers would come back high from his labs and they'd put him on more and more medications. He finally said enough! He asked me to research and we changed to whole plant eating. All of his numbers dropped, got off his meds and we lost weight. The problem for us is maintaining that eating style and not falling back into our old habits. When that happens I read natural health articles, books etc out loud to us to motivate, that and the fact that we both start feeling sick and horrible. Even his eczema comes back when we fall off the wagon.I guess what I'm saying is we had to educate ourselves. Having said that, you can't make anyone change that doesn't want to. Maybe you can say there's a documentary you want to watch and casually ask him if he wants to watch it with you. Forks over Knives, Fat Sick and nearly Dead. There's a ton of them, on Netflix as well. Also, I'm the type that won't cook two meals and he knows it, so he eats what I cook. Otherwise he'd have to cook himself something. Fortunately I've learned to cook plant based pretty well and we never feel deprived.
  • hisgirlhoward
    hisgirlhoward Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have to add, I do not allow junk food in the house. I know, I sound like the Nazi wife. I tell them I am a food addict, which I am. If they were recovering alcoholics I wouldn't wave vodka under their nose. They can still have their junk, just not here. They can go out for pizza, candy and ice cream.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    wow many of you seem to have very unsupportive partners and that is realy sad. after several bad relationships like this with people who didnt take care of themselves I said never again. if they dont care about themselves how can they care about me? my BF now struggles with it because of his medical problems, he gets bad sweets cravings and sesitivities to texures and I have too cook a lot of special foods. but I have been coming up with way to take conventional dishes that he likes and converting the ingredients to make them healthier. things like spagetti better grains for the pasta, grinding up lots of vegtable incorporating that in the sauses, using chicken and tofu. there are lots of great recipies out there, find some healthy versions of their favorite foods and ease them into it slowly.change a little bit at a time, not tell them it is a 'healthy' version and see how they like it. serve it for a while and see if they notice much, and if they realy like it then tell them. it might make them realise healthy eating can be delicious and motivate them to want more!
  • superpowers2016
    superpowers2016 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    antonia_84 wrote: »
    My fiancé is not as supportive as I think he should be. I try to eat healthy and he gets mad like for instance if he is eating a greasy burger and I am having a salad he says that I am not spending quality time doing the things together. He can be so crazy sometimes. But the other night he said hey babe Im putting an apple pie in your bag for tomorrow and I said no babe am eating clean he said just a bite wont kill well my son walked and said she said no. She is on a mission stop trying to ruin it for her and he backed off immediately. I am so proud to have my son support me so fully.

That is so sweet !
  • SweetySusie
    SweetySusie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    after reading though this i am sad for some of the people who posted . It is a lot harder to do this on your own BUT YOU CAN!!!
    My story to add:
    My DH and 2 teens, can eat anything (but are all picky eaters). I can't . I am lactose intolerant - extremely so- and I just can't eat greasy food , it messes with my insides ( without being gross , im sure y'all can figure it out).
    My dh has alot of stomach problems ( acid reflux and bloating) but refuses to eat better. Our daughter (17) also has Acid reflux (since she was born) and can't eat greasy food (still eats junk food). Our son just is very picky (no sauces, no foods touching - he's 15)

Overweight , yep . Tired all the time, i work 3 jobs -2 online , 1 physical so yep and double yep.
    I give up getting them to eat healthier. I am one who buys and cooks food . So i am switching to healthier versions, or not at all in some cases. If they are hungry or don't like whats made, they are all old enough to go find the kitchen.
    Willpower isn't needed with junk foods ( i can't eat 99% of it anyway or i throw up) but pepsi or soda has been a issue. I stopped buying it, but DH used to buy it by the case(or 2 each week)

Lately meals are much more veggie filled and green, adding in fruit and protein and my vega one shakes for the busy days( which no1 else will even try) . i am hopeful it will help me and eventually they will learn to enjoy the meals.
    Good luck everyone :)
  • Crossfitand5ks
    Crossfitand5ks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes. I live with my mom, sister, and 2 kids. None of them want or choose to eat healthy. I had gastric bypass 13 months ago and I'm noticing I'm falling into my old habits because I'm around them. So I've decided to just do it for me but it's hard when I have to balance out my groceries to feed all of us and they don't want to eat what I need to.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's certainly easier when you're doing it together. Hubby and I made a deal (actually he did and I agreed with him - sucker!). I cook, he does the dishes. Which is great because he doesn't like cooking and I don't like doing dishes so win win. Now I just have to convince him to help do prep for bulk freezer meals lol
  • mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like to share any information i get about food with my hubs, like all the crap the FDA allows in our food and the poor quality standards they have set, anything from research studies on carrageenan and the pasteurization of orange juice to the living environment/inhumane treatment of the animals we consume. It is quite eye opening and steadily, through the 7 years of marriage, he has got completely on the wagon. (at first he jokingly mocked my label reading and questioned why it was really important) but the more information i gave him the more he came to care. now i can send him to the store and know that he will check labels before purchasing. Like people have stated in this thread, consistency on your part is really the key. Once your BF realizes you are very serious, it's not a phase or a trend but an actual life change (and give him explanations for your choices, without being pretentious or arrogant) he will come around.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm with the poster above, whose husband jumped on the bandwagon. My S/O is not big on cooking, so we fall into the habit of eating out more, especially now that I'm not on any diet restrictions anymore.

Here's what works for us:

1.) I don't make a big deal out of food. I quietly do the shopping and most of the cooking, and choose healthier, vegetarian meals that I know he will eat. I cook dinner some nights and when I do, I make lunch so we don't have to eat out. (He cleans when I cook, so it's a win/win).

2.) I don't push healthy eating at all in my house. I don't talk about it, I don't tell him I want a change, none of that. It's like Fight Club.

3.) He sees me weigh my food and my portions are noticeably smaller on my plate. Like, half of what I used to eat. He notices and comments, but I'm eating so there's no cause for concern. He just notices.

4.) I stopped my habit of snacking mindlessly after work while we chat about our day. We still chat, but I'm not stuffing my face anymore. I'll have a bite of this or that, but I start cooking instead of eating junk. He's noticed.

As a result of these things, he sometimes comments on how I won't eat this or that, but I don't push him, and I don't ask him to change anything, so he's supportive. (He also knows how upset I am about my body changing and just wants to be supportive on principle, because he's a naturally supportive person).

And you know what? He follows my lead! He doesn't weigh his food, but I have noticed him portioning out certain things, not eating as much, and not snacking as much after work.

You can't change your BF. You can only set a good example and live your own life/make your own choices. Whether or not he follows is up to him.

Also... it feels good to be on this journey, regardless of whether the ones I love are, or are not. It's my life, my choice.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My husband wasn't very supportive at first, I recently researched and switched to the McDougall Plan (also Forks over Knives.) He gave me a hard time in a funny way and continued to bring junk food in - it's been a battle but since I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking he has turned around. Yesterday, after I cooked a vegan Indian dish I told him that I wanted to go out for spaghetti while laughing! He became very serious and told me how proud of me he was for switching to a plant based diet. I don't expect him to follow me and that's okay, but at least he gave up eggs and cheese for me. Both of those are my Achilles when it comes to food!
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My Significant Other knows that I am suffering from something, celiac, wheat-related, and I have a LOT of intestinal woes. The last couple of weeks I have really got a handle on everything and yet he is the biggest Sabateur I have known. We shop together, and when his kids are there - he wants to buy packaged cookies, cakes, ice cream cones, chips, etc. I have been so diligent in avoiding these - but it is hard! but what is hard - I'm not drinking right now - and he is constantly pushing that. He wants company when he has a drink. He is in terrific shape but that doesn't mean his insides are healthy - I can relate to all of the posters here. You just have to be true to yourself! I know it is not supportive, but when I have spoken to him about it - he always says yes he will and he then he never does. I just have to keep on saying no thank-you! Tough - especially with gluten or wheat allergies coming up - I'm being tested soon - there are so many things out there that you want to eat. I'm trying to eat as cleanly as possible too. He will have potato chips and beer for dinner sometimes - Sigh
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My man doesn't get it. He wants to lose weight but doesn't ever TRY! I just ate a healthy lunch while he ate pizza. He will eat healthier ONLY if I buy groceries he agrees with a make a meal schedule. Even then, he wants a pint of ice cream or a piece of cake every night! I think I am going to start my meal schedule again and try to get more exercise, maybe if he sees me losing weight he will finally start being healthier.

It is sad because before we were together he ate salads and took way better care of himself.
  • EMSchell2009
    EMSchell2009 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! OMG he is all in with the exercise. We walk 5ks and we are doing our first 10k together in 3 weeks, but he is a junk food junky. Drives me nuts. There are just some things that I can't stay away from if they are in the house...doritos come to mind. Not a thought of if they are OK for me. Loves to eat out bww being his fave. Doesn't often puruse a menu to see if there is anything even remotely edible for someone trying to not be fat sick and nearly dead! I love the man to death but you would think a diabetic would think more about this stuff!!!
  • sadrina1986
    sadrina1986 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel like once you start the change yourself, your significant other will be changed as well... that's the story between me and my husband, but I'm the one who refused to change.
  • britters522
    britters522 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue, only it has more to do with my willpower than my hubby. He's always super supportive but I feel guilty when I go grocery shopping and don't bring in something that I know he enjoys. I don't want to force any changes on him and I don't try but I feel that I'm still depriving him of something if I don't bring in all the snacks and goodies. Also, if he suggests fast food and I'm really not in the mood to cook I don't even think twice about agreeing. I do notice, though, that if I cook a meal that doesn't look like rabbit food then he'll eat it without any issues. He does get upset if I don't want to eat something he made because it isn't very healthy, but I guess I can understand that. I'd be upset if I made us a meal and then he said "sorry, that's too healthy for me."
  • raw_key
    raw_key Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's tough bc I am the one who makes dinner but I also like to be considerate and make things he'll like too. So far, the only winner we've had, has been "taco" zucchini boats. It's not like everything I cook is unhealthy but it's certainly not as clean or healthy as it could be. Then again, we also have children who can get a little picky and somethings can be a little too complex for them flavor wise. Don't get me wrong, my husband has been supportive but I know when he doesn't necessarily enjoy a meal I've made even if he says he does and is very grateful for it. And he does make dinner on occasion but it's usually burgers or hot dogs. I'd say, try to incorporate healthier items without telling them. Using ground turkey instead of ground beef. DH enjoys garbanzo tacos (meatless mondays) and it's probably one of a few vegetarian dishes that I make, that he'll eat. Including more poultry and fish, will also help out. Also, making sure to include either steamed veggies (but still crisp) or a salad with meals will help out a lot. When we go out to eat, we tend to choose ethnic food restaurants. If it's Chinese food, I'll make sure we order dishes with plenty of veggies in addition to a strictly vegetarian dish. Japanese, I happen to like sushi (not mayo or fried stuff) and sashimi which tends to be ok. When we do Mexican, it's a little tough but I'll usually just cut down on portions to make it work within my calorie goals.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Just a follow up from my last post.
    Well it was harder for me to keep up with my side of the deal I think, so I had to get clever.
    We now do freezer meals on weekends and we have a monthly meal schedule. He liked that he had input into our meals and that there is always 'junk food' in the house lol, - homemade baking, apple chips, fruit leathers etc so he wouldn't feel deprived. I think observing his relationship with food was key to me easing him into adapting to change. So now to convince him to pack a picnic and go bike riding with me.