I can't handle the bloating anymore

Options

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I have yet to try BPC... it just doesn't appeal to me... maybe in the winter when I need something more warming, but right now I prefer to eat my fat.

That sounds self-consuming, but maybe it's just responsible recycling......

@RalfLott
    You never fail to make me smile. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I have yet to try BPC... it just doesn't appeal to me... maybe in the winter when I need something more warming, but right now I prefer to eat my fat.

That sounds self-consuming, but maybe it's just responsible recycling......

@RalfLott
    You never fail to make me smile. :)

:o
  • Bubbas_girl
    Bubbas_girl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I rarely have heartburn... Maybe once every three or four months and it's short lived, thankfully.

To give a brief history... 10 years ago I switched from a junk food/fast food binge eating disorder diet with severe digestive issues & pain from undiagnosed allergies, to eating organic whole foods intuitively, and have been allergen and binge free... I also did a 5 month candida/allergy cleanse in 2010 that cured my blood sugar issues and helped identify the last few food allergies I was having trouble with. I have a very low tolerance for gut discomfort now because I spent 17 years in pain and now I know what "normal" should feel like.

One other possibility is nuts... But I'm in deep denial about that because we had a nut free house for the first 12 years of my son's life (anaphylactic nut allergy). Last summer we got the clear to eat any nuts, except peanuts, as long as they came from a peanut free facility. I don't eat loads of nuts but I do have a little everyday, usually in the form of almond butter, pistachios, or macadamias. I know I'm allergic to hazelnuts (closely related to my allergy to ragweed). I will be devastated if it turns out I can't digest them properly.

Idk much about all the other suggestions/recommendations/etc. mentioned above, but almonds, almond butter, almond flour...pretty much anything almond... make me miserable (digestively speaking)...and I LOVE them, which is saddening. The fact that they are such a large part of LCHF is even more discouraging.

Hope you figure out the source of your troubles soon.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So... not feeling any better after cutting out the aspartame... I was so completely backed up that I broke down and drank some smooth move tea last night before bed... Things finally started to move this morning... and the scale was still up 1.7 lbs this week. :neutral: Now I have diarrhea... *sigh I just can't handle this going on much longer so I've decided I need to cut out the nuts for awhile and see if things improve... BUT I'm NOT HAPPY about it... *hissy fit
  • RalfLott
    Options
    So... not feeling any better after cutting out the aspartame... I was so completely backed up that I broke down and drank some smooth move tea last night before bed... Things finally started to move this morning... and the scale was still up 1.7 lbs this week. :neutral: Now I have diarrhea... *sigh I just can't handle this going on much longer so I've decided I need to cut out the nuts for awhile and see if things improve... BUT I'm NOT HAPPY about it... *hissy fit

Here are a few helpful thoughts from another thread:
    In my perfect world, I'd start every client with a full allergy and endocrine evaluation by a functional medicine doc followed by an elimination diet to control for as many variables as possible, then approach altering macros to LCHF or keto ratios.

Edit: Most folks manage these things by exception out of necessity. The radical change in macro ratios surfaces issues that they either didn't know they had, or changes issues they did know about in a material way. I meant to include that thought in the original post...

Judging from what I'm reading, some people don't reach the perfect elevated energy state until they go zero carb, and many zero-carbers seem to keep that state indefinitely. It's very intriguing, and also another variable to consider when trying to determine optimal carb levels for an individual - optimal could be absolute zero.

• BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Do you have acid reflux along with the bloating? If you do try "Fenugreek" capsules. My pharmacist told me about them. Take at least one a day. I buy the ones at Walmart. I used to have to take Zantac & Tums by the fistful.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @knitormiss shared her info already, she shared that with me as well. I was having terrible bloating and painful burning acidic gas in my intestines after 4 days a couple weeks ago of lc. I somehow messed my gut up bad. She recommended the super enzyme and acv and recently helped me with the timing of it, which I think is making a huge difference. definitely something worth looking into. for a week and a half I was taking enzymes acv and probiotic but not timing well. yesterday she said to do enzymes and acv with food and probiotic 2 hours before or 1 hour after food. I did that all yesterday and today I woke up with no pain in my belly, and my abdomen was flat as a pancake. I'm hoping to see more improvement today. good luck to you, I know how uncomfortable it can be and it really makes it difficult to get through the day. oh I also stopped drinking carbonated drinks, for the time being to get things under control.
  • froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Anewlifeat40. I talked to my Dr. About those same symptoms. Ketogenic was helping lose weight, inches, blood levels, etc. the constipation, bloating, etc. were problematic. She suggested Smooth Move tea and Sennakot. So far, so good. Best of luck to you.
  • anewlifeat40
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    Do you have acid reflux along with the bloating? If you do try "Fenugreek" capsules. My pharmacist told me about them. Take at least one a day. I buy the ones at Walmart. I used to have to take Zantac & Tums by the fistful.

No acid reflux... It's all lower bowel/intestinal, and bloating, which is why I didn't think it was a food intolerance but I'm also super inflamed this week so can't hurt simplifying my diet and cutting out the nuts. I have oral allergy syndrome and the pollen/mold spore count is shifting with the seasons which may have triggered a new allergy to the nuts... Current known and long time eliminated food allergies include soy, wheat, whey, hazelnuts, carrots, msg, hemp, bananas... Sometimes melons and citrus depending on the season and the severity of my hayfever...

My SIL who is a TCMD, prescribed these digestive enzyme supplements (can't think of the name right now) but they gave me fairly immediate acid reflux so she said to stop them... Braggs organic ACV is a regular staple in my diet... I bought some live enzyme sauerkraut I'm going to eat this week...

I'm determined to figure this out... I was reading up on inflammation and insulin resistance on butter bob's site last night... Gonna try the intermittent fasting theory, which I basically already do most days as I naturally eat to hunger & satiety. I'm rarely hungry before noon and have never been a late night eater (parents didn't allow it growing up and never developed that habit thankfully).
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Most of my food intolerances (not my allergies - those are anaphylactic reactions) show up as painful lower bowel/intestinal trapped gas and bloating: i.e. corn, bell peppers, cruciferous veggies, a few seeds/nuts, and more.

I take/have taken ACV, digestive enzymes with/without Betaine HCl, and probiotics. Avoidance or suffer are the only things that make a difference for me. I had something last night I know I shouldn't and . . . voila, I had symptoms almost immediately and still have them now. It will likely last until dinner. One day I'll learn.

My best guess is that it is a food intolerance. And probably to something you like. A lot of the foods I love don't love me back either. Good luck!
  • anewlifeat40
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Most of my food intolerances (not my allergies - those are anaphylactic reactions) show up as painful lower bowel/intestinal trapped gas and bloating: i.e. corn, bell peppers, cruciferous veggies, a few seeds/nuts, and more.

I take/have taken ACV, digestive enzymes with/without Betaine HCl, and probiotics. Avoidance or suffer are the only things that make a difference for me. I had something last night I know I shouldn't and . . . voila, I had symptoms almost immediately and still have them now. It will likely last until dinner. One day I'll learn.

My best guess is that it is a food intolerance. And probably to something you like. A lot of the foods I love don't love me back either. Good luck!

This is my first real food intolerance then... All the others are true allergies that show up consistently on allergy testing and cause hives, chest pain, swelling, and/or severe stomach pain... I'm 99% sure it's the nuts. Especially the almond butter. Doesn't surprise me as I only recently reintroduced them in the past year, and when I used to eat nuts regularly more than 10 years ago (before I had my son and had to eliminate them for his anaphylactic nut allergy safety) none of my food allergies had yet been diagnosed and I was a MESS, so I would have had no way of telling then...
  • anewlifeat40
    Options
    I had a 1.7 lb gain last WI Wednesday, I guess due to the bowel/intestinal bloating, and inflammation in my back, hips, neck and shoulders... I've been drinking 9-12 cups of water, keeping my carbs around 30 net, and calories around 1500-1700/day... Stepped on the scale out of curiosity, and damn scale was up another 2 lbs this morning. I started adding a daily active Nuun tablet to my diet on Tuesday to cover all my supplements... is it possible that's causing water retention? Do I need to be taking one everyday or just as I feel it's needed? Please help me troubleshoot this... I could stand to lose like 150 lbs, it's not like I'm anywhere near goal weight, so I don't know why I'm gaining only 11 weeks in...
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    I can't handle anything with calcium carbonate. The Nuun (with calcium carbonate) gives me terrible stomach bloating and cramps.
  • anewlifeat40
    Options
    I can't handle anything with calcium carbonate. The Nuun (with calcium carbonate) gives me terrible stomach bloating and cramps.

I had the bloating long before the Nuun... But I'll keep that in mind.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of tips already, but it sounds you've still got variables moving every which way.

I don't think you're going to get to the bottom of your issues without at least some testing (some or all of: allergies/hormones/blood work/hydrogen breath test for SIBO.....) and a systematic approach to eliminating potential culprits.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    might be helpful if you could open your diary, for others to see if there are any red flags, I know you've given a lot of information in this thread already but sometimes seeing trends is easier in the diary.
  • anewlifeat40
    edited August 2016
    Options
    might be helpful if you could open your diary, for others to see if there are any red flags, I know you've given a lot of information in this thread already but sometimes seeing trends is easier in the diary.

I'm not logging in MFP anymore. I weigh/measure anything that has carbs and just jot it down in a notes app to keep a running total of net carbs. I use an app called Nutrients or the package nutritional facts to calculate net carbs. MFP is just way too sketchy on stats... I did log what I ate yesterday in mynetdiary to doublecheck my macros, and all of them were on point or under. You can see a general idea of what I'm eating most days (unless it's a repeat of leftovers) by looking at the recipes on my blog at http://anewlifeatforty.wordpress.com or my instagram at /anewlifeat40. I've cut out any of the items with nuts (just baked a cheesecake with a nut crust so froze them all :( ).

Good news is the bloating is almost gone this afternoon, so appears one or all of the nuts is the culprit. In a couple weeks I'll start reintroducing them one at a time for a full week to see how I do... I'm 99% sure it's the almond butter though because my husband reminded me that I got a lot more gassy when I started eating it last year... Damn it! I love my almond butter!!

I took a Nuun electrolyte tablet everyday for the last 4 days, and skipped it today. Also had some diet coke when I went out for lunch with a friend today (ate about half an organic chicken bacon salad) and the diuretic effect is working and i'm feeling a LOT better now. Will be interesting to see if the 4 lbs I gained this week are gone tomorrow morning... LOL
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    That's great. Glad you are starting to feel better.

Sunbutter tastes just like I remember peanut butter tasting as a kid (had it a couple times before it tried to kill me) and it's peanut-safe for your son. Might be a good substitute if almonds turn out to be the trouble.
  • anewlifeat40
    Options
    That's great. Glad you are starting to feel better.

Sunbutter tastes just like I remember peanut butter tasting as a kid (had it a couple times before it tried to kill me) and it's peanut-safe for your son. Might be a good substitute if almonds turn out to be the trouble.

I have a sunflower seed or pumpkin seed butter I can use... just not the same as my precious almond butter... LOL I'm allergic to soy, so a lot of the nut-free butters are off limits to me.

SO glad to be feeling less bloated though!!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Ah hahaha I haven't tried almond butter yet. I will have to pick some up now if I can find one that's peanut safe.

I have a soy allergy, too. It's soy-free. Only has sunflower seeds and salt. Mind you, my digestion doesn't love the sunflower butter, but that may have been because I was usually eating it with carbs. Though I don't digest pumpkin seeds the best either. Humph. Haven't tried pumpkin butter either because the only brand here has a peanut warning. Humph.