Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yesterdays workout:
    SQ:5x2 45# (warmup) 5x5 65#
    BP: 5x5 55#
    Row: 5x5 50#
    Planks: 3x30 seconds
    Did 20 minutes of treadmill walking after. Felt really good and strong with all of my lifts. I think going up on my squats I might fail though, getting a bit wobbly at the end. Took a video of my form last week, and studying squat videos of pros to compare.

ETA: im finally squatting enough to need warm ups! Yeah!! :grin:
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Workout A today. Fixed my bench form. Did something wrong on rows so had to baby my back after that. Almost died on squat (OK not really but)

Bench press: 2x5@45, 5x5@70lbs
    Barbell row: 1x5/5/4/5/4@80lbs
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x3@75, 5x5@115lbs
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @mom23mangos - Thanks. :smile: Lately my weight has been going between 128 and 134 over the past few months. Not been great at keeping the deficit with everything going on between moving and such. I started with strong lifts back in November 2014. I did 12 weeks of that, then New Rules of Lifting for Women, then 3x5 version of stronglifts before switching to upper/body type programming. It took me over a year to get the numbers up to when I competed at the meet, which was May 2016. Increases are much slower after a certain point but still fun to work towards. Hoping to get some new PRs before the end of the year.

Well, yesterday I was lazy and stayed home. Felt a bit off and partly because that monthly cycle started right before I went to work. No wonder was up a couple of lbs, wanted to nap or eat candy. Cramps aren't too bad right now at least. I stayed in bed a little later then planned this morning but still went to the gym. It was busy being mid day. Also, for the first time had a guy ask to work in on squats. He wasn't much taller than me so we just changed the weights between sets. Mine were the heavier sets as he's just getting back into lifting and working his way up. We chatted a little and after my deadlifts he took over the bar for pendlay rows. Was nice having a brief interaction while still getting stuff done.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, 2x6 @ 145 and 2x5 @ 155 with belt
    overload - 215 for 20 count
    pause squat - 1x6 @ 95 and 1x5 @ 105 for 8 count
    sumo deadlift - 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 165 with belt

Actually looked at the excel sheet I have for my attempt at the peak cycle. On deadlift and squat I'm on week 8 but just getting to the weights for week 1 on bench. So, I wrote done what was supposed to happen on week 3 and did those for today. Will work my way from here and try to look at the required weights before going to to the gym. Helps if I'd actually follow the program that I have set out.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I have started back at Stronglifts after doing NROL.. I really struggle getting any improvement on Bench Presses, and failed my last round.. Any tips on how to work on them?!

Thanks

Do your feet touch the ground? I struggle with bench press because my feet barely touch the ground so my back is all out of alignment. Last time I benched I put an aerobics step at the base of the bench for my feet and it really helped.

If your feet barely touch the ground, try putting plate on the ground so you can get your feet down. I push through my feet on bench engaging my entire body. It helps a lot.

Since we're all speaking of bench, I did my workout yesterday and failed bench horrible! But I'm on a cut and I was tired yesterday so, whatever. At least I crushed the other stuff.

Squats - 5x5 @ 130 - 10 lbs away from my previous weight from before messing my hip up!
    Bench - 5/5/3/4/2 @ 100 - bleh! I actually dropped an f bomb in the gym on one of the fails. Whoops! But on the plus side I got to practice my roll of death a lot hahah. I'm pretty confident I will not be killed by the barbell if I can't make a rep without a spot.
    Row - 5x5 @ 105

I want... to see... a picture of your arms... It takes so long for me to progress on bench press! I'm jealous haha. It's going to take me 30 weeks at least to get up to there. It seems like I can only add 2.5 lbs every other bench press day.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    t space, and 1's week is DONE. and i think mostly with honour.

deadlift 135/145/161.something. mr t threw that last bit in there just to make me feel all special and strong. only got one, but even though it was slow enough that he gave me his special expensive trainer yell at one point, it never felt like i wasn't going to get it.

so hey. i'm strong enough to deadlift 160 pounds. wendler sure does creep up on you.

press 55/60/70. still just can't get that 70 pound press. i made several tries, a little bit better each time because i got madder and madder each time. apparently i got it as high as my hairline on the last one. i could even hang out underneath it like that for idk 3 or 4 seconds. but the final push is just plain not there. so we're going to 'reset'. i'm trying not to be too sad but i really did try so i can't be completely un-sad.

his challenge this month is 'sandbag to shoulder,' any weight bag. so i picked the lightest bag (40 pounds) and did 20 of those. just five more would have let me come home saying i'd hoisted a thousand pounds the height of my own body, but by the time i thought of that the bags had been put away. 40 was surprisingly light when it's in a nice grip-able bag, and i loved the core kick from doing this.

two turkish getups, just because i can't just dump my old love. also i scored a few of mr t's old-school plates with the tiny centre holes, so now i have 10s and 7.5 plates of my own to keep doing shoulder stuff with. whoo hoo. he's got a stack of them and he's begging for people to take them away so i'll probably dig through the stack and find me some other sizes as well.

and now i'm eating a revel bar. not even a shred of remorse. i feel like i earned it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    OHP- 1 X5X 45/50/55/60 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X145

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 20 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone add kettlebell swings?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Day off from work. Yay! I went to the gym though for being interested in contacting me about fitting in the training on my day off, I still haven't heard from them. Next schedule I get friday off instead of Saturday. My schedule changes every week and I can't answer my phone at work or in the car, so if they call, the note is to leave a message, so we'll see if they call some time this next week. I was going to go check out griffith park to walk around for cardio and scope out some potential running paths but I don't wanna do it alone. Guess I'll wait longer and try to convince my sister to come for a walk one of these days. I did grocery shopping instead. I did get some bolilo rolls but also got some chicken. Trying to do a little better in buying food so can make it instead of buying in the moment. Spending the rest of the day at home, getting some filming done, videos for youtube, reviewing, and maybe organizing our boxes of stuff since we've lived here just over a month now.

Bench Day

band pull aparts - 3x10
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 1x5 and 1x4 @ 95, 1x6 and 1x5 @ 90
    pull up 1x1, chin up 1x2.5, 1x2
    ohp 2x10 @ 45, 1x5 @ 60, 1x5 and 1x4 @ 70
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 35
    pallof press - 3x10 @ 20
    overhead tricep extension - 1x5 @ 25, 1x6 and 2x8 @ 20

Now that I've had lunch, it's time to get on with being productive while fighting the urge to snack all day on the limited food supplies since it is "shark week" and I'll be home all day.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    Why does everyone add kettlebell swings?

Read "Simple and Sinister" by Pavel Tsatsouline. They burn 20-25 calories/ minute and enhance lift amounts.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Lifted this morning....
    SQ 5/5/3/4/2 @77.5kg
    Ohp 5X5 @30kg...best form so far!!!
    DL 1x3 @87.5 kgs Then 1 more rep, but couldn't mange a fifth!

It's getting heavy!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X10X35

5 miles
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Had a hard time sleeping last night due to the heat then had to be at work by 7 am, which meant getting up before 6. Blech. Worked 8 hours cashiering and only had a black cold starbucks coffee (found in the cooler section at the store, too lazy to get starbucks from across the street). Then had coke zero during lunch break and on shorter breaks. After work, had a melty protein bar, cliff builder. Not enough for deadlift day, oops. Was so tired but went to the gym anyways. It was okay and empty until deadlifts, when I had to be loud. Of course, that is when people show up, not when I'm doing the quiet stuff.

front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x6 @ 95
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x4 @ 185, belted 2x6 @ 205 and 2x5 @ 215
    glute kickback - 3x10 @ 10

Have a little rough patch with feeling a lacking in progress on many levels. Need to work some things out and top priority is finding work that aligns more with my passion and interests.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    procrastination workout late in the day. looooooong lineups to get in the rack, so lots of accessory work.

i did my deloaded squats for the week: 45/55/65. went well. i'm doing a new experiment with weaning myself off suicide grip. thumbs-around is really forcing me to bring my elbows in close to my body and more forwards too. it's uncomfortable but not in a feels-wrong way, and it does seem to result in a much tighter back and more upright torso. hands-over was more comfortable, but it really had this tendency to let me round forward and flare my elbows way back like quasimodo, which probably wasn't the way it should be. it also seems like thumbs-under puts the bar about half an inch higher up, and that might actually be where it's been meant to go all along. only issue is maintaining straight wrists the whole time. i don't think i ever curled under so much that my elbows were supporting the bar, but i do know 5 reps was about all i can sustain with this grip atm.

i did seated rows to start with for accessory, incremental jumps from 50 up to 80 pounds. two waiter-walk circuits per arm with the smallest kettlebell, and then later i got hold of a bar so i did pendlay rows too: 3x5 with 65 and then another 2x5 with 75.

to warm up for squats i've starting doing this hug-a-plate thing. i basically use the plate the same way you use a broomstick - it's a flat surface you try to maintain contact with, so you'll know if/when your spinal position is not neutral. i started with a 10lb trainer plate, then did it with two plates, then went and got a 35 and did it again.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Quick workout yesterday, skipped accessories due to lack of time.
    Walked a ton on Saturday-got over 7.5k steps in while shopping and visiting.

SQ: 5x5 @70
    OHP: 5/5/3/4 @55
    DL: 1x4 @110

Body weight is still hovering around 191, and royally pissing me off. I dont want to stop the strong lifts program, but really want to see this fat get blasted away. Might shake up my workouts to 2 SL days a week, and 2/3 zumba, high cardio and see where that takes me. :angry:

Obsessed with my strong new arms! I have a new muscle definition from a certain angle and cant wait to bench press again!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @kirstie155, if you are looking to continue lifting, but lose more BF, you might try circuits while eating at a deficit. Take a look at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bill-phillips-back-to-fit-12-week-trainer.html.

Week 4, Day 1

Squat: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 85, 5x5 @ 130
    OHP: 5x5 @ 40
    DL: 1x5 @ 145
    Chinups - 3x5 @ BW
    Pullups - 3/3/2 @ BW
    Hip Thrusts - 3x10 @40

Today felt great! I only lifted 2x last week so had extra rest and it really helped. Excited to get up to 1.3x BW on Squat and 1.45x on DL.
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 35
    Week 2, day 2, transitioning from the 30 pound to the 35 pound kettle bell during StrongLifts workout. I feel really strong during the swing and am confident that I will be able to transition to the 40 pound kettle bell at the end of this four weeks.

5 miles
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Workout B
    Deadlifts 103 lbs 4x6 (had to deload as I feel discomfort in my back. I think it's due to sloppy form lately)
    OHP 43 lbs 4x6

Kettlebell swings
    22x10x25
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    @kirstie155, if you are looking to continue lifting, but lose more BF, you might try circuits while eating at a deficit. Take a look at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bill-phillips-back-to-fit-12-week-trainer.html.

Week 4, Day 1

Squat: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 85, 5x5 @ 130
    OHP: 5x5 @ 40
    DL: 1x5 @ 145
    Chinups - 3x5 @ BW
    Pullups - 3/3/2 @ BW
    Hip Thrusts - 3x10 @40

Today felt great! I only lifted 2x last week so had extra rest and it really helped. Excited to get up to 1.3x BW on Squat and 1.45x on DL.

Thanks, I will check that out :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    completely flat tire again on the way home. i rode maybe 2 of the 6 miles and walked the rest.

the ride in was good though. i made pretty good time.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Squat 5x5 @ 105 lb
    OHP 5x5 @ 50 lb
    DL 1x5 @ 115 lb
    Good Mornings 5x5 @ 65 lb (Just added these in and will continue to do so) - for those of you who do good mornings, do you only add them at the end of workout B (or A)? Or do you do them every workout like squats?