Dr. Oz likes the Keto plan!

Options

Replies

• starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Dr Oz but I think "quack" is a bit stern. Maybe "open minded" would be kinder? He is, after all, a practising surgeon - and, apparently, a good one.

He is also an entertainer and yes, every fad gimmick finds its way to his show but his show is not supposed to be a science documentary and I still think goji berries are far less damaging than the fad miracle drugs that find their way to regular docs (and us), courtesy of Big Pharma.

If keto catches with popular media there will be much worse than Dr Oz soon enough.

::flowerforyou::

Not a bad point. New England is experiencing such a horrific epidemic of opioid overdoses right now, and I wonder why the doctors who originally over-prescribed the painkillers are not being held responsible.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Here's a Fox News release on an TV episode featuring ketogenic diets. The guests aren't exactly convicted snake-oil salesmen...
    Dr. Oz and David Perlmutter Discuss the Health Benefits of a Low-carb Ketogenic Diet.
    Source: Fox News

Dr. Oz said a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic-style diet accelerates weight loss and can prevent diseases
    such as Alzheimer's, diabetes, and ADHD.

On the Dec. 24 episode of the Dr. Oz Show, he discussed the health benefits of a low-carb diet with
    neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter. (This episode first aired Oct. 21.)

In his book Grain Brain, Perlmutter said a high-carb, grain-heavy diet destroys the brain and fuels
    Alzheimer's disease and other neurological illnesses.

Perlmutter, who follows the high-fat ketogenic diet, told Dr. Oz that drastically reducing carbs not only
    promotes rapid weight loss, but can prevent or reverse brain conditions like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's,
    and ADHD.

Research has also shown that a low-carb ketogenic diet dramatically reduces seizures in children with
    epilepsy and can reverse diabetes.

And obesity expert Dr. Eric Westman said a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet produces rapid weight loss
    without exercise or calorie-counting. Cancer researcher Dr. Dominic D'Agostino recently said a ketogenic
    diet starves cancer cells.

Dr. Perlmutter, a neurologist, told Dr. Oz that a grain-heavy, high-carb diet causes neurological
    breakdown. Perlmutter says we can ward off — and in many instances reverse — Alzheimer's disease,
    diabetes and ADHD by following a low-carb, high-fat diet. According to Perlmutter, a high-carb diet
    causes inflammation, which has a catastrophic effect on brain cells, as well as the entire body.

But after speaking with Perlmutter, Dr. Oz agreed that consuming plenty of healthy fats (such as olive
    oil, avocado, nuts and salmon) and limiting processed carbs can prevent and repair neurological
    damage.

Dr. Perlmutter recommends a low-carb diet — limiting carbs to no more than 80 grams a day — and
    eating lots of dietary fats, such as extra-virgin olive oil, avocado, grass-fed butter, wild fish, grass-fed
    beef, coconut oil, nuts. "The fate of your brain is not in your genes; it's in the food you eat," he said.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Here's a Fox News release on an TV episode featuring ketogenic diets. The guests aren't exactly convicted snake-oil salesmen...

I think that's a great example my biggest issue with Dr. Oz: he's like the Reader's Digest of the health and wellness world. Stuff like keto and Whole30 gets put on the same level as raspberry ketones and green coffee bean extract, and so the teeming masses assume they're all equally good.

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Given that TV doc celebs like Oz will continue to exist, I would rather they endorse something with legitimate benefit like the Ketogenic diet, instead of some miracle cure tablet or cleanse. Just my $0.02.
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Thanks Samantha. I had looked for a topic on this, but didn't see this one.

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Dr Oz but I think "quack" is a bit stern. Maybe "open minded" would be kinder? He is, after all, a practising surgeon - and, apparently, a good one.

Mia Culpa. I'm guilty, and you're right. My characterization was highly judgmental.

• suzqtme
    Options

Thanks, Oz, I'd rather give insulin a miss.

[/quote]

Ditto...
  • suzqtme
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the two main "docs" made famous by Oprah's show have both become these peddlers of sensationalism. I used to like Dr Phil when he was on Oprah's show and first started his show, but now he's like the Jerry Springer of therapy. Same for Dr Oz...

It's even more amusing when you compare the two in another way. If Phil would listen to Oz, and Oz weren't full of *kitten* most of the time, he wouldn't be fat anymore. If Oz would listen to Phil, and Phil wasn't full of *kitten* most of the time, maybe Oz could stop being a professional pathological liar.

Could someone tell me what "kitten" means??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the two main "docs" made famous by Oprah's show have both become these peddlers of sensationalism. I used to like Dr Phil when he was on Oprah's show and first started his show, but now he's like the Jerry Springer of therapy. Same for Dr Oz...

It's even more amusing when you compare the two in another way. If Phil would listen to Oz, and Oz weren't full of *kitten* most of the time, he wouldn't be fat anymore. If Oz would listen to Phil, and Phil wasn't full of *kitten* most of the time, maybe Oz could stop being a professional pathological liar.

That's how MFP censors bad words. :wink:
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options

BRILLIANT

That's how MFP censors bad words. :wink:

Anyone try the foreign language versions to see if you get *kitten* in different tongues?

Edit: Never mind. I entered "Scheisse" (i.e., "*kitten*" in German... uh... wait... how did I just get away with that .... *kitten* ?!?... ) in a German diskussion and got "Scheisse" right back in my face.

Sometimes the love you make really is equal to the love you take.....
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Oh mon dieu! Il est un *chat*!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Oh mon dieu! Il est un *chat*!

Qui... moi?

*miiiiaaaooooouuuuuu!*
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

It's MFP's language filter. In the case of my post, they were both the "bad word" for poo.
  • RalfLott
    Options

It's MFP's language filter. In the case of my post, they were both the "bad word" for poo.

I wonder what all lurks in MFP's Dirty Words List. Anybody actually seen it?
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Alas, we know that "Oz" is not on it.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

As often as I trigger it, I should start keeping track.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Ozz>
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The most puzzling thing about The Great and Wonderful Oz is how he manages to stay on the staff of Columbia University. I speak, of course, as a layperson but I've always imagined that being a professor of surgery at a major teaching hospital would be kinda time consuming. If The Great and Wonderful Oz is able to keep up with medical advances, fulfill his duties at Columbia, write books and weekly newspaper columns, star in a TV series and all the other swell stuff he pulls off --- well, then we should definitely be following his health advice because he has the energy of a dozen people!!! (But if he still performs surgery from time to time, he better not come near me with a scalpel, that's all I can say.)