When compliments stop and criticism starts

Options
CaliforniaAJ
CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
So, my husband and I have been steadily losing for 8 months. I am down 62lbs and he is down 90lbs.

I am 46, 5'4" and 136lbs. He is 47, 6'3" and 192lbs.

We are both aiming for just another 10lbs until we stop losing, at which point we will continue follow LCHF forever, but at maintenance calories!

During these last 8 months there has been a flurry of the normal "Wow, you have lost a lot of weight", "Whatever you are doing, it's working for you", "You look great", etc.

Recently comments from those same people have turned into "Don't turn anorexic", "You are wasting away", "You are going too far".

Neither of us looks "Skinny". We have been careful to buy clothes along the way to fit our current weight. So now we are feeling very self conscious about our loss, rather than reveling in our success!

I have also noticed over the months that when people ask me "What are you doing", I tell them I eat Low Carb. The instant response is "Oh, I could cut out bread" Sigh! They think it's that easy. Then I tell them I work out for 1 1/2 hours a day and they switch off. They want the same results in a quick fix, easy way.

I suppose this is a rant, but my point is that there seems to be a tipping point where well meaning compliments turn into, frankly, nasty comments. From observation, these all seem to be motivated by envy!!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to most of us. It doesn't really have anything to do with you, it's more about what's going on in their heads. Though some people may genuinely be concerned, mothers especially. It'll pass though people will adjust mentally to your new size and no longer see it as something they need to comment on.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm anticipating the same comments. And when they happen, I'll just tell them I've been going to the gym. It's the exercise. :lol:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got (and still get) the same things on a regular basis. I started at 265, and just recently hit a weight and bodyfat where I am turning around for a lean bulk (150). As always, I just chalk this up to the distorted perception of normality that our society is developing. As the world widens, those who resist will be the strange ones. This is especially true for those of us who were once...rather robust.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    ^^^^here here! *lifts keto aid in a toast*
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Cheers!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @CaliforniaAJ It's good you're only in your 40s. Once you hit that older generation The Concerned also add comments like a very blunt, "Have you been sick" and my favorite: "Older people need to carry more weight".

As you progress, joyous feelings will return with people saying, "Wow! You've really done a great job maintaining".
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yep.

Could also be, "Nice to see you - you look great! Too bad it's at another funeral. Maybe all the candy we shoveled around at work wasn't such a great idea...."
  • CaliforniaAJ
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Firstly, thank you all for reading my 'vent' and taking the time to comment. It really means a lot that people on here care and are supportive.

I am normally very thick skinned and don't take things to heart, but I got to feeling that people were saying we looked unhealthy. I did actually have one older lady who live in our building ask if I had lost weight 'intentionally'. She said she was used to work as a nurse and was worried about me.

For sure, I was 'robust' and whilst I think I wore it well, as I was always quite fit, people do get used to you being larger. My bust was so huge I always felt like I was following it around.

It is a sad state of affairs when people can't just either pay a compliment or not say anything. Why people have to be so negative is beyond me.

Well anyway, now I am smiling at all your comments and tempted to do exactly what SuperCarLori suggested!

Wise words RalfLott. Thank you.

Thank you all
    xxxx
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I did actually have one older lady who live in our building ask if I had lost weight 'intentionally'. She said she was used to work as a nurse and was worried about me.

Between older nurses, dietitians, in-laws, and co-workers, it's hard to say who would get the booby prize for most insistent droning of flat-earth era misinformation, but it's close......

You could retort with, "I used to be chubby, out of shape, and didn't feel all that hot. I guess we've both moved on!" :D

PS Hang in there - you're in inspiration to more people than you are threatening to others!
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

I think's it's SO odd that people find it acceptable to bluntly blurt out things about our appearance no matter what. For years (literally, 10 years!), a coworker of mine told me I looked "tired" almost daily...and expressed that he was saying it only because he was "so concerned" until one day I had to bluntly tell him to knock it off because it was insulting!

Once I lost weight on LCHF, everybody wanted to know how I did it...and then didn't want to accept it as "healthy". When I said I had switched to a LCHF diet, another colleague said dismissively "but the key word here is 'diet' ". It's ok, though. Now when they ask, I just say thank you. I'm feeling fantastic (healthy and energetic, not just thinner) and it's been 2 years.

"The best revenge is a good life"--- or whatever they say, right? haha
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm anticipating the same comments. And when they happen, I'll just tell them I've been going to the gym. It's the exercise. :lol:

haha :smiley: Yes, sometimes I think it might be best if I just acted surprised when people ask me about my weight loss: "What?! Really? I've lost weight? Why, thank you." :wink:
  • CaliforniaAJ
    Options
    The worst critic is my Mother in Law, who is a larger lady herself. She was initially really supportive, but now she is constantly telling us both how silly we are.

She is trying to diet herself and will happily tick off on her fingers that she has not touched since Christmas "sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, ice cream". Yet she is not counting calories and eats literally 9 or 10 pieces of fruit each day, plus huge bowls of bran flakes. She eats pretty much sugar all day, but she doesn't see it as sugar, as it's fruit.

I bite my tongue and don't criticize her diet method, so I don't see why she thinks she has the right to criticize mine!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've experienced it as well, and not even in person, the woman said it on my Facebook page for all my friends and family to see! ugh. I know most people (most) mean well but COME ON.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree that it's envy talking, rather than concern. Also, put you and your hubby in a crowd at, say a football game, and you would, indeed, seem to be wasting away in comparison with the rest of the patrons, which says more about the crowd and less about you! :) Keep calm and keto on!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    First, older people, whether a nurse or whatever, tend to blurt out things just because they can! : :D This is like a right of passage for living a long life. They are quick to say "Oh you have really gotten fat!" Or "You look pale! Are you eating right?" I just smile and say "I'm good. Thanks for asking" out of respect for their age... Most likely, they are genuinely concerned.
    BUT...if they are my age, NEAR my age or younger....I tell them bluntly I am happy, healthier than ever and I refuse to eat poison just because everyone else thinks I should. I am in this strictly for my health. Not anyone else's opinion.
    Best not to let people stress you out. Stress does horrible things to our bodies and usually has contributed quite a bit to our weight gain/over eating/binges.
    Just don't let others get under your skin and enjoy your LC/Keto/ZC life!!! <3<3<3