LCHF and weight lifting/strength training?

Options

Replies

• CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thank you! A few of my questions were answered.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I feel I didn't need as much rest when beginning because I was already primed to exercise but as things got heavier (for me), I found myself utilizing the rest timer with my program's app which gives you up to 3 mins for rest.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I feel I didn't need as much rest when beginning because I was already primed to exercise but as things got heavier (for me), I found myself utilizing the rest timer with my program's app which gives you up to 3 mins for rest.

When I last did weight training, like I said above, it was 10-12 reps with 30 seconds rest for 2-3 sets. But I got impatient and lowered it to 15secs in time. And still did fine.

I actually enjoyed that program. I got stronger real fast on it. As a complete newb, by the end of month 2 on it I already tripled the amount of weight I started with. Don't know if that's normal but it was pretty darn awesome to me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

When I last did weight training, like I said above, it was 10-12 reps with 30 seconds rest for 2-3 sets. But I got impatient and lowered it to 15secs in time. And still did fine.

I actually enjoyed that program. I got stronger real fast on it. As a complete newb, by the end of month 2 on it I already tripled the amount of weight I started with. Don't know if that's normal but it was pretty darn awesome to me.

It is normal, especially for women, who tend to have less physically demanding jobs, on average. As I said, you already have a lot of the muscle, it's just making your neurological system actually learn to use it. Also, because diminishing returns are a thing, you'll always see a massive spike in all of the following for the first several months: actual hypertrophy, easily damaged muscle fibers (this is a good thing), and rapid recovery time, due to the fact that while the muscles are more easily damaged, the damage is not as severe as what a heavily trained person will incur to stimulate growth. Unfortunately for all of us, these things decrease exponentially as we progress. More work required for less return, etc.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Definitely normal. A couple other things - make sure you're talking to a competent trainer; it's harder to find one than you think. Also, I'm not a fan of trying to combine cardio and lifting - it's a poor compromise with a worse return on your investment of time and energy once you're through the acclimation period.

Since other forms of cardio seem to be off the table for you right now, just going for regular walks or hikes will provide you with all the cardio you need for long life and good health. You won't become an endurance or speed athlete that way, but for health and good function walking and hiking are excellent and all you really need.

Lifting is another story, however. The benefits of lifting heavy things are numerous, and those benefits increase as we age. For example, the main obstacle to quality of life for older folks is loss of muscle mass, coordination, and function. The only solution to that reduction in quality of life is lifting! I know it's hard to relate to at 23, but I'm training my 71 year old father and his QOL has improved immeasurably as he has gotten stronger and more capable.

Onr other thing to know - unless you start using steroids, you won't/can't get giant muscles no matter how strong you get or how much you lift. It's part of being female.

As @samanthaluangphixay alluded to above - go for strength. Throwing around pastel-colored weights for dozens or hundreds of reps will not give you the physical durability, bone density, flexibility, strong joints, mental strength, and confidence that moving really heavy (for you) iron will.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lifting is another story, however. The benefits of lifting heavy things are numerous, and those benefits increase as we age. For example, the main obstacle to quality of life for older folks is loss of muscle mass, coordination, and function. The only solution to that reduction in quality of life is lifting! I know it's hard to relate to at 23, but I'm training my 71 year old father and his QOL has improved immeasurably as he has gotten stronger and more capable..

So true! As I do my internship, I see many not so old people struggle with lack of muscle mass and cooridination. As we age, mobility IS independence so we have to start NOW taking care of our muscles and bones. As women, we lose muscle mass more quickly so its imperative that we do some sort of strength training (or I've come to believe). Please correct me @Majcolorado if I'm misinformed. :)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says to remain keto during lifting and there's no need to cycle carbs but honestly I feel like my strength is not what it used to be pre-keto. I don't have that power behind my lifts anymore. I feel like I have more intensity when I have higher carb days? Could it be all in my head? I've been keto for a year now.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Lifting is another story, however. The benefits of lifting heavy things are numerous, and those benefits increase as we age. For example, the main obstacle to quality of life for older folks is loss of muscle mass, coordination, and function. The only solution to that reduction in quality of life is lifting! I know it's hard to relate to at 23, but I'm training my 71 year old father and his QOL has improved immeasurably as he has gotten stronger and more capable..

So true! As I do my internship, I see many not so old people struggle with lack of muscle mass and cooridination. As we age, mobility IS independence so we have to start NOW taking care of our muscles and bones. As women, we lose muscle mass more quickly so its imperative that we do some sort of strength training (or I've come to believe). Please correct me @Majcolorado if I'm misinformed. :)

No, you're absolutely right. Due to the female hormonal makeup, you may be more predisposed to catabolism, if your muscles remain unused. This is caused by the same thing that causes women to have a harder time building muscle and dropping fat to begin with: lower testosterone and higher estrogen, respectively.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

No, you're absolutely right. Due to the female hormonal makeup, you may be more predisposed to catabolism, if your muscles remain unused. This is caused by the same thing that causes women to have a harder time building muscle and dropping fat to begin with: lower testosterone and higher estrogen, respectively.

Spot on, both of you.

It's worth reiterating the extra concern for women of bone density that you mentioned, @genmon00. The one solution to that problem that transcends all other solutions is resistance training. Drugs and supplements don't actually work without it.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    I'm well aware that it takes a LONG time to build actual bigger muscles, and not just strength. My body however, is quite skinnyfat so I will HAVE to go that route. Either by doing a recomp or a few bulk and cuts. Not sure which one is best though. Otherwise I'll just look flabby after I lose the weight.

For now, the goal is just to lose 14-20lb while keeping the (very little) muscle I have. I guess I'll decide what to do after that.

I wouldn't call my trainer competent. Lol. But at least I know what I want. So he has to follow my instruction :joy:
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    I know everyone says to remain keto during lifting and there's no need to cycle carbs but honestly I feel like my strength is not what it used to be pre-keto. I don't have that power behind my lifts anymore. I feel like I have more intensity when I have higher carb days? Could it be all in my head? I've been keto for a year now.

It won't be the same as when you eat lots of carbs. However, I do think you will still improve. Just on keto level.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

If pushing performance is your primary concern, and carbs aren't a problem for you, you could consider a CKD (or modified CKD). I'll personally be sticking strict keto for at least a couple of months, the perhaps switching to APD, then back, and back once more, so I can compare the two through stages of development.

Keep in mind though, by the time I reach month six, and my noob gains are trashed out again, I'll be extremely stim heavy, so my results will probably not be comparable to anything for someone who's not trying to set their internal organs on fire.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I'm well aware that it takes a LONG time to build actual bigger muscles, and not just strength. My body however, is quite skinnyfat so I will HAVE to go that route. Either by doing a recomp or a few bulk and cuts. Not sure which one is best though. Otherwise I'll just look flabby after I lose the weight.

For now, the goal is just to lose 14-20lb while keeping the (very little) muscle I have. I guess I'll decide what to do after that.

I wouldn't call my trainer competent. Lol. But at least I know what I want. So he has to follow my instruction :joy:

While trainers should listen to their clients and design programs tailored towards their goals, if he is not totally competent he may not possess the right knowledge to design said program.

And you being the client, may or may not, know if the program is right for you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

While trainers should listen to their clients and design programs tailored towards their goals, if he is not totally competent he may not possess the right knowledge to design said program.

It definitely has to be a two way street, when it comes to PTs and starting lifting. For example, if something is actually painful for you (not just causing soreness, but actual pain, you'll know the difference), you need to be able to express that, and he needs to listen. At the same time, if you're just being a total sissy one day because of DOMS, he needs to be able to recognize and address this, and you need to be willing to listen.

Every time I see someone on these boards say "wait until soreness is gone before training again", I want to reach through the monitor and slap the lack of understanding out of them.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

It definitely has to be a two way street, when it comes to PTs and starting lifting. For example, if something is actually painful for you (not just causing soreness, but actual pain, you'll know the difference), you need to be able to express that, and he needs to listen. At the same time, if you're just being a total sissy one day because of DOMS, he needs to be able to recognize and address this, and you need to be willing to listen.

Every time I see someone on these boards say "wait until soreness is gone before training again", I want to reach through the monitor and slap the lack of understanding out of them.

Mm. I have the opposite problem. I keep going until failure. Which he called me out on once. I'm trying to not do it anymore, but sometimes it's hard to tell when the next one will be " the last one" or "the one before last".

He doesn't train with me though. I exercise alone and just follow his program. I did tell him to keep it heavy.

And I have DOMS this morning. I'm still going to exercise. Just need to walk/bike a little longer for it to go away. :smile:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options

Mm. I have the opposite problem. I keep going until failure. Which he called me out on once. I'm trying to not do it anymore, but sometimes it's hard to tell when the next one will be " the last one" or "the one before last".

He doesn't train with me though. I exercise alone and just follow his program. I did tell him to keep it heavy.

And I have DOMS this morning. I'm still going to exercise. Just need to walk/bike a little longer for it to go away. :smile:

Try some Epsom salt baths for those DOMS. They help me when I get cocky and do another set with a new heavy weight.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

Try some Epsom salt baths for those DOMS. They help me when I get cocky and do another set with a new heavy weight.

I'm aware! Going to get some epsom salts from the pharmacy today. Thanks babe :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options

Wow, someone who actually understands that moving and using the muscles gets rid of DOMS. I like you more all of the time. Haha.
    The most common response I usually see is silly stuff like "take a break", "take it easy", "take the day off", "be a whiny failure like me so I don't feel so bad about it", "abloobloobloo". You made my day better already. :D
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

Wow, someone who actually understands that moving and using the muscles gets rid of DOMS. I like you more all of the time. Haha.
    The most common response I usually see is silly stuff like "take a break", "take it easy", "take the day off", "be a whiny failure like me so I don't feel so bad about it", "abloobloobloo". You made my day better already. :D

Glad to be of service. Lol
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I did tell him to keep it heavy.

EefjiOx.jpg