I never should have ventured off this forum...

anewlifeat40
anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
Sooo... I watched a YT video recently about keto and IF... and they recommended a FB group, so I joined it... I introduced myself, and after just one day I'm SO confused, so I deleted my thread there and left the group, and I'm coming back here to your wise and kind folks to sort me out... Keep in mind, this is my first time doing LCHF/keto, and it's been a STEEP learning curve... There's SO much conflicting info that I don't know if I'm coming or going anymore!! If you have research links to refer me to, please feel free to include them in your answers to the following questions:

1. Does eating too much protein throw you out of ketosis and convert to fat, or is that a myth?
2. If I eat high fat will my body merely burn the fat I'm eating for fuel instead of my body fat and stall weight loss?
3. How much fat is too much fat?
4. If I eat very little fat, and I eat very little carbs, how do I get enough calories in to feel satisfied/satiated, without eating huge amounts of protein?! I thought FAT was how that was accomplished? No?
5. The most common macros I see related to eating Keto/LCHF is 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. I was referred to a chart today called Optimal Ketogenic Living... One set of macros on the chart is based on height, another set is based on your lean body mass, but of course I was told I can't use the LBM macros because body fat monitors are inaccurate (I have an omron BF% monitor). If I set my macros to the ones based on my height my macros come out to 6% carbs, 40% protein, and 54% fat. Will those macros really "optimize" weight loss?
6. I was under the impression that macros are a ceiling, not a goal, but now I've been told that protein should be a goal and fat and carbs are a ceiling?

Thanks, oh wise ones.

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    That group is quite notorious. And they promote some weird things, as far as keto goes. Also the tone is really nasty there.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    aylajane wrote: »
    Personally I consider carbs a ceiling, protein a goal and fats as filler as needed to meet my calorie goal/satiety.

Me too. I think the confusion usually comes into play when starting any lchf plan because most all rely heavily on fat in the beginning/induction phase. Once you are a fat burner as opposed to a sugar burner, although fat is still the primary source of calories, your macros will switch up a bit. For me, it worked best changing my % every few weeks to give my body time to adjust and see how I feel.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    I thought the macros all have to add up to 100% now I'm confused I set Carbs at 10% Fat at 75% and 15% . I hope that is Ok because that is what I am getting used to shooting for.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    What is YT?
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    kind of like most of the main forum here on MFP who say that only CICO matter.

A genuine question asked in a friendly way: what other mechanism can cause weight loss? I see people who don't believe in CICO quite often but to me its logic. I can't think of any other system of anatomy that would cause weight loss??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    What is YT?

You Tube
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    I just grabbed this from the launchpad.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10107242/the-skinny-on-fat-silencing-your-fear-of-dietary-fats?new=1

FROM THE LINK ABOVE

"How Much Fat Should I Eat?
    Specific plans may have specific numbers or percentages for you to target, however, in general, this is the rule you should follow:
    * Eat under your carbs.
    * Eat your protein target based on your height/weight and activity level.
    * Fill the rest of your intake with fat to satiety."

IT GOES ON TO DISCUSS HOW TO INCORPORATE FAT INTO YOUR DIET, BUT THATS NOT INTENDED TO MEAN CONTINUE EATING FAT EVEN WHEN NOT HUNGRY JUST TO HIT THAT "GOAL" NUMBER THE CALCULATOR GAVE YOU. THAT SENTENCE, "Fat to satiety". That's the key. Make your meals low carb, high fat. Then stop eating when your satisfied.

Here's a discussion about too much protein...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10438750/too-much-protein/

There's lots of stuff in the open threads link in launch pad.
  • JedsMom63
    JedsMom63 Posts: 32 Member
    This was very informative to me. Glad the op got this going. I've been reading so many conflicting this it was beginning to jumble in my head. I have read the launch pad but still having to read it again and again I guess to get it thru my thick scull
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    After posting this I went back on YT and good ol butter bob had posted a super timely video that basically set my mind at ease...

Thanks for sharing the butter bob video! Helpful :)

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    But that part you have in caps ^^ up there @Sunny_Bunny_ is meant for those who desire weight loss. Correct? I believe there are people here who chose a ketogenic diet for reasons other than weight loss so if their desire is to maintain their weight AND remain in ketosis wouldn't it then be necessary to not just eat fats to satiety but rather to eat enough calories to maintain their weight - in the ratios or percentages (of fats, proteins, carbs) that keep them in the metabolic state of ketosis?

I realize there are multiple ways to achieve a ketogenic state whether it be through macro manipulation with or without exercise or via the accelerating properties of MCT oils.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    After posting this I went back on YT and good ol butter bob had posted a super timely video that basically set my mind at ease...

Thanks for sharing the butter bob video! Helpful :)

Butter Bob is great. He's a very good populist of stuff he distills from the books, vids, and articles of real experts.

But there's no substitute for the real McCoys, and a lot of their stuff is quite approachable.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    kpk54 wrote: »
    But that part you have in caps ^^ up there @Sunny_Bunny_ is meant for those who desire weight loss. Correct? I believe there are people here who chose a ketogenic diet for reasons other than weight loss so if their desire is to maintain their weight AND remain in ketosis wouldn't it then be necessary to not just eat fats to satiety but rather to eat enough calories to maintain their weight - in the ratios or percentages (of fats, proteins, carbs) that keep them in the metabolic state of ketosis?

I realize there are multiple ways to achieve a ketogenic state whether it be through macro manipulation with or without exercise or via the accelerating properties of MCT oils.

Well, I still wouldn't recommend someone to continue eating even if they're not hungry... So, while I agree with what you're saying about it depending on your goal, I never think forcing yourself to eat is a good thing. Regardless of estimated TDEE and calorie calculations, I figure our body (given the right foods) knows how much it needs and will self regulate our intake.
    So, ultimately, I think it still applies to everyone.