Dear God, the Foods I Am Falling In Love With...

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Mascarpone is great stuff.

There's also Crème Fraîche, a highly orgasmic agent similar to Mascarpone. 11g fat, < 1g carb, 0 protein.

Vermont Creamery makes both of 'em, and they are friggin' fantastic:
    http://www.vermontcreamery.com/créme-fraîche-1
    http://www.vermontcreamery.com/mascarpone-1

Creme fraiche is delish! I use it as a much yummier alternative to sour cream. And if you really want the sour taste, a squirt of lemon or lime juice will get you there. Its the perfect base for a creamy salad dressing and its yummy dumped on top of some spicy beef or chicken.

No separation anxiety?

Nope, it doesn't separate or curdle, just don't heat it up and make sure you eat it up within 24-48 hours. My favorite dressing is creme fraiche, lime juice, garlic, salt, smoked paprika, chilli powder (actual dried chillis powdered, not the blended chilli powder), cumin, and ground allspice.

Wow! Sounds great. Where did you run across this?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    @Gallowmere1984 - If I might ask.... how long ago did you open it?

About three days ago. That being said, I did buy a small jar, because I wanted to be sure I was going to enjoy it before I went full retard on something huge that I could end up throwing away.
  • Gallowmere1984
    it's going to make me poop, isnt it...... :/

Nevermind my previous response. It was just delayed by a couple of days. The pooping is real. My roommate is angry. This apartment smells like the inside of bloated roadkill.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Never had a pooping problem with sauerkraut, or kimchi. ??? Maybe you are repopulating your gut with healthier bacteria and they aren't all ready to work on the cabbage yet, lol.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    You can try "souped up soup" from the Chaos & Pain blog spot:

John McCallums’s “Souped-up Soup”

Don’t throw out any parings from food prep. Get a plastic bag and save all of the vegetable parings, and when the bag gets full, make the soup.
    Save all of the bones and scraps from your meat food prep. Store in a plastic bag in the freezer for use in your soup. Since you’re going to want to eat your soupe with every meal, however, McCallum suggests you buy soup bones from the butcher. At my local supermarket they sell for less than a buck a pound, and every dog I’ve ever met loves the *kitten* out of them as a snack, entertainment, and a way to supplement their diet.
    Use a cleaver or hatchet to chop up the bones finely.
    Put two quarts of water into a big soup pot.
    Add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. This is essential to draw out the calcium from the bones and the nutrients from the veggies. The vingear will boil off, lest you worry.
    Boil for four hours.
    Strain out all of the bits and pieces with a fine strainer.
    The remaining stock is what you’ll use to make the soup, and McCallum claims if you just drank that you’d triple your nutrient intake.
    Put the stock in a clean pot and chop up the veggies you want- he suggests carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, and turnips.
    Simmer the veggies until they start to soften, then add three lbs of chicken wings, short ribs, stewing beef, or any kind of meat you like. If you want to go cheap, buy what’s onsale and use that.
    Continue simmering until the meat is tender.
    Take two cups of water and dissolve in as much skim milk powder as will go into solution. Stir that into the soup.
    Simmer 5 minutes, then add a pound of ground beef, which will cook almost instantly.
    Though he doesn’t provide the nutrition count from that, you’re looking at a soup that likely contains between 350 and 450 grams of protein that you use simply to supplement your existing meals, not to mention the incredible nutrition coming from the stock- the bones alone add 6.5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat apiece. Made with meat that’s on sale, I cannot imagine it would cost more than $20 to make, and it would provide you with at least 8 meals or meal supplements.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    This thread is making me drool... well, other than the poop talk... haha!! I just found a section at my local grocery store that has kimchi, real saurkraut and a couple other jars of stuff I didn't recognize... I bought the saurkraut and some 1 gram of carbs smokies to have this week... I think I might have to try a new one each week now... What does kimchi taste like? I've never tried it... I LOVE spicy food though... Also, homemade chipotle aioli is to DIE for... I could drizzle that *kitten* on EVERYTHING.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    This thread is making me drool... well, other than the poop talk... haha!! I just found a section at my local grocery store that has kimchi, real saurkraut and a couple other jars of stuff I didn't recognize... I bought the saurkraut and some 1 gram of carbs smokies to have this week... I think I might have to try a new one each week now... What does kimchi taste like? I've never tried it... I LOVE spicy food though... Also, homemade chipotle aioli is to DIE for... I could drizzle that *kitten* on EVERYTHING.

I would say that Kimchi basically has it's own flavor that's difficult to compare to anything else. It's literally just spicy fermented cabbage.

LINIA wrote: »
    You can try "souped up soup" from the Chaos & Pain blog spot:

John McCallums’s “Souped-up Soup”

Yeah, there's a lot of really good high-cal foods spread all through Jamie's blog. I really need to start reading back through it again, now that I am running a bit of a surplus. A lot of the *kitten* was too much effort for too little consumption, over the past few years when I was maintaining with no lifting.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Never had a pooping problem with sauerkraut, or kimchi. ??? Maybe you are repopulating your gut with healthier bacteria and they aren't all ready to work on the cabbage yet, lol.

Could it be rotting corpses from evil gut armies that were bombed by the sauerkraut?
  • Gallowmere1984
    canadjineh wrote: »

Could it be rotting corpses from evil gut armies that were bombed by the sauerkraut?

Well, Sauerkraut is of German origin, so the movie Dead Snow comes to mind.
  • ChrissyGoto
    ChrissyGoto Posts: 17 Member
    I love sauerkraut. I usually cook it with a pork roast in the crock pot.
  • co_lau
    co_lau Posts: 35 Member

Nevermind my previous response. It was just delayed by a couple of days. The pooping is real. My roommate is angry. This apartment smells like the inside of bloated roadkill.

@Gallowmere1984 Try to find lacto-fermented sauerkraut. Your roommate will thank you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I adore kimchi. Absolutely love the stuff.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    I read the title as "Dear God, the FOOLS I am falling in love with" and clicked in all ready to read the juicy details :neutral: Oh well, I did find a few things to put on my grocery list though.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I love sauerkraut, served with meat, stews and sausages mmm and kimchi.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member

Aaaaah hahaha! Well that's good to know!

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Mascarpone is great stuff.

There's also Crème Fraîche, a highly orgasmic agent similar to Mascarpone. 11g fat, < 1g carb, 0 protein.

Vermont Creamery makes both of 'em, and they are friggin' fantastic:
    http://www.vermontcreamery.com/créme-fraîche-1
    http://www.vermontcreamery.com/mascarpone-1

Creme fraiche is delish! I use it as a much yummier alternative to sour cream. And if you really want the sour taste, a squirt of lemon or lime juice will get you there. Its the perfect base for a creamy salad dressing and its yummy dumped on top of some spicy beef or chicken.

No separation anxiety?

Nope, it doesn't separate or curdle, just don't heat it up and make sure you eat it up within 24-48 hours. My favorite dressing is creme fraiche, lime juice, garlic, salt, smoked paprika, chilli powder (actual dried chillis powdered, not the blended chilli powder), cumin, and ground allspice.

Wow! Sounds great. Where did you run across this?

I saw some Lime & Chilli dip in the grocery store, so I just whipped up my own version at home without all the extra questionable ingredients that no one can pronounce.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Cyndi146 wrote: »
    I read the title as "Dear God, the FOOLS I am falling in love with" and clicked in all ready to read the juicy details :neutral: Oh well, I did find a few things to put on my grocery list though.

:D:D:D

*makes a mental note for future post*
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    I bought kimchi because of this thread and now I don't know what to eat it with. LOL Suggestions? We're having BBQ'd smokies this week, so I thought I'd try it on those... any other ideas?