Energy

Options
1234usmc
1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
Before I get bashed, I am not in ketosis. My carbs are under 100 and some days really low but I have never committed to ketosis. I bake with almond flour and eat a lot of cauliflower and salad. I occasionally eat one french fry or chip if my wife has them. But i do stop at 1.I have been low carb for over a year now and still have no energy or endurance. . I have upped my salt and magnesium and potasium. My question is, do you have to be in ketosis and burning ketones to have any energy or is there a away to just be low carb and still be able to run a 5k or 10k?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Being under 100 you're probably in ketosis most of the time. How much have you increased your sodium? There's no reason you should have no energy just by that level of carbs, so there is something else going on. How many calories, fat and protein are you getting?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Everything that I have ever read, indicates that for good physical performance, the grey area is pretty bad. You either was to be in keto, or consuming enough carbs to fuel your workouts. The upper tier of low-carb seems to work just fine for those who just desire to lose weight (or maintain), but aren't seeking any kind of high end physical performance.

This phenomenon is pretty well known among the powerlifting and bodybuilding communities who often use low-carb (but not keto) dieting to cut weight for comps. They always report feeling like total *kitten* during these periods, whereas those who run keto or CKD constantly have few to no issues with it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I was running regularly up to five miles every other day eating 80-100 g carbs a day and felt fantastic. If you are already adapted which you should be after a year, there should be no reason you can't eat at that level and have energy, provided your fueling yourself with enough other fuel to sustain your level of activity. If you are consistently at that level of carbs and that high of an activity level you will be in ketosis.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I have never tested to see if I am in ketosis or not. I figure I eat to much protein too. I have been trying to eat less protein and more fat. It's hard to add fat sometimes. My lunch yesterday was a bag of pork rinds
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Give this a read and see if it applies. You could be keeping yourself in a funky limbo without realizing it. I'll admit up front that the article is advocating for a supplement (interestingly, one that's exogenus ketones), but it actually links to a buttload of non-partisan studies to back up all of his claims. http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2016/07/the-competitor-and-ketoos.html

The section headed with "Those on keto diets and those not" is the important part.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I'll give it a read, thx
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like great stuff but the price is crazy. Even if it worked as advertised, which could afford to stay on it? That's a shame .
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds like great stuff but the price is crazy. Even if it worked as advertised, which could afford to stay on it? That's a shame .

I wasn't so much advocating for the supplement, as stating that you might find your situation turned around if you dipped yourself fully into keto, instead of trying to tiptoe that middle ground. That supplement is something I'd only probably recommend for someone who wants the carbs to support insulin spikes for muscle growth, but also wants the ketones for fueling the brain. Either that, or exactly what he is talking about: people who are contest prepping.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I am stuck in that gray area, not wanting to commit to ketosis but desperately needing energy........
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do great in the gray area as long as I keep my electrolytes up. It's astonishing how much I need to supplement though.

Take a hard look at your electrolytes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe try more sodium snd magnesium supplementation.
    Also, what are your fat sources? Are you eating vegetable and seed oils?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am stuck in that gray area, not wanting to commit to ketosis but desperately needing energy........

Why not?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Why not?

That's kind of what I was wondering, but tried working the subtle hints route. Let's see if a direct answer makes more sense. ;)
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Why is because I still enjoy a fry or chip off my wifes plate. I bake but use almond flour. I eat cualiflower instead of potatoes. While I understand ketosis, I haven't embraced the food choices totally. I have recently tried to cut back on my protein a little and use coconut oil in my eggs. I used to start everyday with a protein shake, now I make 3 scrambled eggs. Thats why I say I am in a gray area. I am low carb but not keto. My family has been supportive but they have no intention on being in ketosis. My daughter is a vegiterian, so we are pretty much opposites. I am not lethargic by any stretch, I just dont have endurance while running. I take ZMA supplements and I try to salt my food. What other supplements would you recommend?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Why is because I still enjoy a fry or chip off my wifes plate. I bake but use almond flour. I eat cualiflower instead of potatoes. While I understand ketosis, I haven't embraced the food choices totally. I have recently tried to cut back on my protein a little and use coconut oil in my eggs. I used to start everyday with a protein shake, now I make 3 scrambled eggs. Thats why I say I am in a gray area. I am low carb but not keto. My family has been supportive but they have no intention on being in ketosis. My daughter is a vegiterian, so we are pretty much opposites. I am not lethargic by any stretch, I just dont have endurance while running. I take ZMA supplements and I try to salt my food. What other supplements would you recommend?

Have you tried drinking some salt water before running. I still think you are likely creating a good amount of ketones most of the time given the description of how you eat and that you exercise.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I haven't but I will try that in the morning. thx
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Only use about 1/4 tsp, too much salt in water can create an unpleasant side effect
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Let us know how it turns out. I can always tell if I didn't put enough sodium/potassium in my PWO, because I'll start dragging like hell about 45 minutes into a lifting session. If I keep pushing beyond that, it gets pretty miserable pretty quick.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I appreciate the advice, I will post back here after my run/lift.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try a high caprylic acid MCT oil like MiCKeyT 8 or Brain Octane for a boost of ketones for their energy benefits. You will have to start slow with it because it can upset your stomach. Maybe try 1 teaspoon to start and if all is well then double that the next time.
    Even your high carb family could make ketones if taking this particular dosage of caprylic acid. :smile: