augus[t] someone should make a new daily workout thread then

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    so tired of the internal shoulder rotation that long bike rides give, that i turned my hands upside down and did a good part of both rides in aggressive EXternal rotation instead. it felt good in quite a number of ways and i don't think i can blame that for the fact that i walked up part of the hill coming home.

for that, i have to go side-eye the squats. except doms-of-death throughout the posterior chain all day long is at least a sign that i wasn't doing those squats with my quads. so that's yay. except oh gawd, i don't want to even think about bikes till tomorrow morning at least.

I usually bike commute to work. My workout Sunday was intense. I decided to bike yesterday anyway and I think it did help with DOMS, but I decided to give my poor legs a rest today in preparation of squats tomorrow and drive to work.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    My workout yesterday:

Strength:
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 155
    Squats - 3x5 @ 140
    OHP - 3x3 @ 75 - I'm going to have to deload this and I just bought fractional plates to start moving up slower.

Assistance:
    Bent over row 3x5 @ 95
    Cable crunches 2x8 @ 60
    Barbell curl - 2x4 @ 50
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 135

kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 20 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    6 miles
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Arms day for me today - 2 x 6 minute hiit sessions (need to increase these to 10 mins each) then:

10x10 barbell curls @15kgs and 10x10 skullcrushers @10 kgs.

Rest day tomorrow...and not afraid to admit I'm looking forward to not getting out of bed quite so early!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Yesterdays workout:
    Squat: 80# 5/5/5/5/4 That last one wasn't really a fail, but I felt like my form was suffering by then, so I'm holding off on upping my weight.
    Bench: 65# 5x5 Woot, really excited about this one. I had to do warm ups with just the bar!! :grin: I took long breaks in between sets, but I got that sucker up there!
    Row: this was a huge fail because I put my new bumper plates on the bar, which upped the weight too much for me. Blarg...I did 5/4/4/3/0 and just going to continue with the 75# until I am successful.
    Planks: 3x40 seconds

Cardio bunny today! Feeling much more energized than I have been over the past few days, and very glad of it.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    hello, @kimiuzzell ! I, too, have been lurking - but I miss you guys, so I'll sneak back in even though I've changed from stronglifts, if that's cool! Yesterday was mostly a bodyweight day:

4x12 split squats with an 8kg kettlebell
    4x12 sloooooow push ups with my feet raised
    4x12 single arm 12kg kettlebells
    4x12 inverted rows. All good - I pushed it, and was pretty weary.

And @canadianlbs - drop bars? More comfortable than turning your hands upside down, though I'm quite impressed by that! Braking must have been interesting...
    Or fit some of those pointy bar end things, just to give you a change of hand/ shoulder position?

• mom23mangos
    Week 5, Day 1

Squat: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115, 5x5 @ 135lbs (made them all this time, but sloooooow. I will keep it here for at least one more session.
    BP: 2x5 @ 45, 5/5/4/4/4 @ 70lbs
    Row: 5x5 @ 85
    Dips: 3x8 @ BW
    Hanging knee raises/balls: 4x4 @ BW
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

6 miles
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2016
    well, that'll learn me to try and get away with this kind of thing. when i think back on yesterday, i realise i ate one small bowl of chicken-flavoured rice, one large coffee, one protein shake and a whole package of gummy bears. and then i tried to redeem myself at 11:30 pm by making crepes, which amounted to eating half a cup each of milk/flour, quite a lot of cinnamon sugar, and one egg.

so if i totally failed my 5's week bench press at 85 pounds* right after doing the whole bike ride home, i've got nobody but my own self to blame**.

*which i did.
    **which i do. i also need to TAKE MY BLOODY CREATINE AND DRINK A FEW THINGS; not go to bed at midnight; and not wake up at 6, so i'm going to fix that right now. soon as i finish this extra-huge protein shake which is delicious because it's still slush.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Interesting day over all. Had training session earlier in the day with a trainer over at Anytime Fitness. Wasn't sure what to expect and went in with the goal of learning some things to do when focusing on gaining a little size instead of just focusing on strength. We focused on upper body and he gave me some ideas for how to program it for any focus. Plus, he is doing stuff on youtube so I'll have to check that out.

Here is what I ended up doing:

The trainer referred to it as CTE (calibration test execution). First was calibration to figure out the weights on each exercise. We did 2 push and 2 pull so that turned out to be bench, overhead press, bent over row and face pulls. Then was a test how many reps with good form could be done in a minute.

bench 14 reps @ 75, overhead press 10 @ 50, bent row 15 @ 70 and face pull 15 @ 30

Execution was half the reps from the test. Sort of a superset so it was bench, overhead press, row, face pull then rest.
    Bench 7 reps
    OHP 5 reps
    Row 8 reps
    Face Pull 8 reps

Last round (4th I believe) I did 85 lbs on bench for 4 reps (almost 5), ohp still at 50 for 5, 80 lbs for 5 reps on row and 35 lbs for 5 reps on face pull.

The CTE is interesting and working in fatiguing the muscles in a way that still focuses on keeping proper form but trying to encourage muscle growth. Something I might be utilizing in the future, first with upper body and maybe later with the lower body too.

In the afternoon, I went to a crossfit gym to check it out and we did a mobility assessment. It was definitely an interesting experience to say the least. Need to work on my shoulder mobility in particular but also on my core strength. I don't do much for mobility so it's not too surprising. Nice day off from work at least and now get to work 5 days in a row. Fun times...
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    BP- 1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR- 5X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell squat-20 2X 10 X 35

5 miles

I did a little bit of a deload today. I think I had what is called the Paleo flu. Since June I had been eating at maintenance and have been consuming mountain dew donuts and chocolates. I did still go by CICO so, I didn't do any weight damage. Now that most of my company has subsided we started eating a LCHF Paleo diet and I lost all energy and strength. I didn't realize what I was doing to myself. I still have a lack of energy and difficulty sleeping. I adjusted the amount of carbs I am eating to help get back to normal.

Thanks to all the ladies here who responded to my question on exhaustion!
  • mom23mangos
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    BP- 1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR- 5X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell squat-20 2X 10 X 35

5 miles

I did a little bit of a deload today. I think I had what is called the Paleo flu. Since June I had been eating at maintenance and have been consuming mountain dew donuts and chocolates. I did still go by CICO so, I didn't do any weight damage. Now that most of my company has subsided we started eating a LCHF Paleo diet and I lost all energy and strength. I didn't realize what I was doing to myself. I still have a lack of energy and difficulty sleeping. I adjusted the amount of carbs I am eating to help get back to normal.

Thanks to all the ladies here who responded to my question on exhaustion!

That happened to a friend of mine as well and she had to up her carbs. She was losing her cycle and everything.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    we started eating a LCHF Paleo diet and I lost all energy and strength.

you don't think of cavemen as feeble . . . but hopefully with the adjustment this will be behind you soon.

• fanncy0626
    canadianlbs- Thanks! I upped my carbs a little and am starting to feel better. I'll be more careful next time. I felt like I hit a brick wall! My husband had the same experience since he usually eats what I eat!
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    I met my goal of logging all food since my last post. Ate around my calorie goal of 2000-2200, really close on my macros, met water goals and killed my gym night! I attribute my gym success with eating enough, getting plenty of sleep and two day rest periods.
    80 days smoke free!

Here's my workout for tonight:
    Walk/sprint incline treadmill 0.6 miles warmup
    Squats-5x5 90lbs (warmup) 5x5 120 lbs (still down from 145, working on form, form was on point :)
    Overhead Press - 5x5 55lbs (warmup) 5x5 65 lbs!!! (First time I nailed all reps at this weight!!! Gah been plateaued at 60 for several weeks! Rawr!!)
    Deadlift - 1x5 115lbs (warmup) 1x5 155lbs! Felt amazeballs!
    Face pulls 3x12 60lbs
    Upright Barbell Row 3x12 35lbs
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Dumbell RDLs: 3x15 @ 14kg
    incline dumbbell bench press: 3x20 @ 10kg
    face pulls: 3x15
    split squats: 15/15/12 with a 16kg dumbbell

I'm meant to do these as a circuit, but that would just cause trouble in the gym! So I did the first two together, then the second two.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    edited August 2016
    Shoulders for me today - hit the gym before work.

2 sets of 8 x 20 kettlebell swings @ 16kgs

10x10 OHP - first 4 sets @ 20kgs then had to go down to 15kgs. Again, I am expecting too much of myself as in 5x5 I do 30kgs....

10x10 lateral raises - no idea what weight to use so started with 3kg dumbells then after 3 sets moved up to 4kgs. Not enough of a challenge really, so next time will try and increase to 5kgs. The lighter weight did mean I could really concentrate on my form, which I thought was pretty good, especially compared with a couple of bro's next to me who were doing the same exercise but throwing their bodies all over the place in order to get the weights up!

Happy Friday everyone!
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3x5x35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

I cannot believe how wiped out I am. Aside from the normal 30 second rest per interval of my swing I had to actually sit down four times during the 25 minute session. Switching back to LC HF is really kicking my butt! I am really hoping that it is not my Lymes disease and anaplasmosis sticking their ugly head back into my life. I had to reschedule my appointment for September 28 so I will not know until then what is going on.

Today is our sixth Anniversary! We have a fun filled day planned. I will be MIA most of the weekend.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi! Im new to this although ive lurked a long time. Ive been doing Stronglifts about a week and im eating between 1600-1700. Usually the lower end. I failed for the first time today on the Overhead press now Ive actually added some weight to it (1.25kg on each side) but im determined to do it! I hope i can get some results like Ive seen in the progress pics and get strong! Here is today's workout:
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Have not been logging in the thread due to a crazy business week. However, I have not missed any workouts.
    Mon, Wed, Fri Did all scheduled lifts and regular cardio.
    Tues and Thu Cardio