Group newcomer - seeking advice

Options

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The feeling hotter is great sign your metabolism is starting to rev up.
    I used to have cold feet all the time, even in summer. Now, I'm always warm. Yes, everything you are reporting is totally normal and to be expected.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and Moderator
  • ErikElgerot
    ErikElgerot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Checking in again two days later. Still keeping pretty steady at 2500 calories and 30% protein. The warm sensation has gone away, and I have gained some weight each day for a total of 1.5kg - still in the short term though.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like things are going ok for you Erik! Keep at it!!
    Kelly
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been looking all over for the comments on 'if you should eat back the calories burned' I cannot seem to find them. I have set a goal of burning 500 calories a day and I am wondering if I should be eating back that much in maintenance and in 15% deficit? Can you direct me to that discussion?
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I have been looking all over for the comments on 'if you should eat back the calories burned' I cannot seem to find them. I have set a goal of burning 500 calories a day and I am wondering if I should be eating back that much in maintenance and in 15% deficit? Can you direct me to that discussion?

Hi Beverly
    Not sure where that conversation is, but lets see if this helps..

In this way of thinking, TDEE accounts for all activity in your given week, therefore you are "eatingback" your calories earned in your workout.

but it will matter on how you decide to set up your diary targets. For example, I set mine to my TDEE (which is the level I am currently eating at). This accounts for all my activity in my week, so when I enter in a workout into my tracker, I adjust the calories to 1, rather than the 350 it automatically picks for me. That way its not changing my calories goals and I dont have to worry about adjusting my thinking to "remove" that 350 when im tracking.

However, if your diary is set to anything less than your tdee (for example your BMR calories) and you are adding in your exercise daily, then yes, you would eat those back. So lets say your diary was set to 1700 cals, but should be 2200 to meet your target.. you would then want to eat back the exercise cals you earned, so your body is eating correctly. otherwise, you are shorting your body those 500 cals it needs.

For me, I find the easiest way to do my tracker is to set the cals to whatever my target is.. whether im eating at TDEE, or eating at a cut.. then I just adjust my exercise cals to 1 when I burn them. That way my diary always stays at the level I need and I dont get confused about adding in 300 cals and then having to "remove' them after..

Hope this makes sense for you

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • ErikElgerot
    ErikElgerot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Signing in again - getting fairly used to hitting about 2800 calories daily now, and the whey protein really helps hitting that 30% protein mark too.

Fitbit (Charge HR) arrived today, picked it up at lunch and charged it, so I'm now getting used to having a wristwatch again.

And, more importantly, yesterday was my first day of training HEMA. Spent about two hours doing two-handed longsword practice (German School), so I'm a little bit sore today - back of thighs leading up into the hips ache as they are muscles that haven't been used this way in a long time. But a lot less bad than I expected, which is a good thing.

Even starting to look forward to getting into the gym to see if I can get my body in better shape for the HEMA.

First morning after training I'd gained some weight (almost a kg) - but I heard that is pretty common when you just start exercising?
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You are doing great Erik! Yes, its normal. Your body is working to repair those muscles!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hey Erik!
    Yes, totally normal for your body to hold water ( i.e. scale weight gain) when you start a new exercise routine, nothing to worry about!
    Ichel
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This is a great article on water weight and a wonky scale: http://eatmore2weighless.com/water-weight-gain/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Hi! Signing in again...

I kind of chickened out a bit when my weight kept stalling, I'm higher than I used to be but still on a steady 2200 or so calories per day. My HEMA training is now up to four hours per week (likely soon six), which may mean I'm no longer quite counting as sedentry. How should I calculate that for my TDEE?

Or, should I try to go by my Fitbit readout? My burn does vary a lot from day to day, around 3000 in an inactive day to 5000 or so on a training day (and 3600 or so the day after), so I'm guessing my 2000-2500 daily intake isn't really enough, even if my weight is stationary, and that I need to up it further to get my metabolism up and help myself build some muscle mass.

Also, any tips for high protein, low fat foodstuffs? Especially breakfast foods I find really tricky for this...
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Hello @ErikElgerot
    With burns between 3000 and 5000, you are definitely still underrating at 2200-2800 and that could be the culprit for the weight stall. Keep increasing, slowly but surely. Working out 4 times a week should put you above average on the activity level on the calculator. What's the average your fitbit gives you in a week? That's a nice starting point.

On protein, check out 7 day protein challenge http://eatmore2weighless.com/eat-enough-protein/ , it should give some good ideas. Also, forget low fat and diet foods. You are looking i to increasing your calories and protein and fat will help you feel fuller and satisfied. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, poultry, fish, nuts, beans and pulses, dairy in general.

Also a nice article n macros is http://eatmore2weighless.com/macronutrients-series-basics-proteins-carbs-fats/

I'm glad to see your workouts are going well and you are moving forward with increasing your calories. Eating more calories and staying at the same weight is a great start!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Hey,
    Thanks for the response. To clarify, I currently train for four hours per week, but that is only twice as each session is two hours (and includes warmup, instruction and the like). Looking at add a third day though (making it Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays).

My fitbit average for the last seven complete days (as in, last Thursday til yesterday inclusive) was 3833 calories.

For the low fat, I definitely hear you - I mainly asked because I've been trying to watch my macros and at my current 40/30/30 I often go above on fat when aiming at protein as a priority (and therefore below on carbs). Will definitely check out your links!

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I imagine getting protein that high is a challenge. I can hit my goals everyday with eggs for breakfast. Add in some chicken sausage. Either make a breakfast burrito or a scramble with some potatoes. Yum.

Do you like cottage cheese? A great protein source. If you want something sweet add fruit. Or sweetener and cinnamon. Want something savory? Pepper and parmesan cheese on top is so good. I do eat low fat cottage cheese because it's easier to find.

Protein shakes, especially after working out is a good protein source. I like to add chocolate protein powder, frozen banana slices, peanut butter and milk for a shake that tastss like a milkshake.

Chicken for lunch and or dinner. So many different options. My favorite is to throw some breasts in the Crock-Pot with salsa and cream of mushroom soup. Cook all day and add some cream cheese. Serve over rice or cauliflower. Yum. Or taco soup- I've seen refried beans used to thicken it. Very yummy, and a fiber booster.

I would only concern myself with protein and getting calories up at this point. When that's a habit (or if you get to another stall), adjusting your fat intake can then become more important.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @jerilynconn Has excellent advice and ideas on hitting the protein percentage. Worry about calories and protein for now. It's ok if carbs and fats don't align for now.

Your Fitbit average burn seems fine and it can definitely be used as staring point to be reached. Increase slowly, week by week until you reach it.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hi Eric
    Yes, that's a very steep deficit. Definitely make your main focus increasing calories.
    I have protein shake and protein sausage (vegan) for breakfast every day so that it tips my day in favour of protein as I tend to have more carbs in my family evening meal, so it all balances out.
    These are some good Q and A's about how increasing your calories will actually help you lose fat.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/q-a-how-exactly-do-i-go-about-eating-more/
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • empressichel
    Options
    Apologies @ErikElgerot
    My auto correct changed the spelling of your name!
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. Protein powder (I do whey protein atm) is definitely going to help, but I suspect I won't reach that 350g protein goal overnight. I'll do some recipe crunching over the weekend, no doubt. =)
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Don't worry about reaching all the goals overnight @ErikElgerot , it's not even advisable to try. The biggest changes of success involve building up towards your goals, tackling one thing at a time and going slowly. Right now you already have to work on your calories and you are adding the workouts. Trying to reach your protein goal overnight may backfire on you and become just to much. You are doing great already, just stay consistent and keep doing it.

The biggest diet fail happens when we try to change everything all at once trying to get as many fast results as we want. And it usually ends up in epic fails. This time it's different and you are in the right way, no need to rush.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Options
    im at 240ish grams of protein so I know what you are going through. Its hard to get the numbers up there, but take your time and do it slowly. I still rely heavily on protein shakes and bars in order to get my numbers in. Other things to consider is making sure you have a good amount of protein at each meal. Cook an extra ounce or two of meat/fish when you have it.. Add in nuts and lentils to your meals and snacks. And just be patient with it all. It took me about two years to get my Protein levels up where they needed to be... then another 7ish months of being consistent at hitting the number. You can do it.. just go slowly!

Kelly
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Signing in again.

I'm still working hard on trying to hit the calories, and doing so while avoiding junk - it's difficult.

And it's not getting any easier because I still find myself kind of panicking from the scale going up.
    This weekend was really bad - I was also absolutely knackered from last week (four out of five weekdays had me get home after 9pm at night), so for Saturday-Sunday I've had well under 2000 calories per day.

Also looking at increasing my exercise program beyond the three two-hour HEMA sessions per week to add some gym time to that, but not sure what would be good and healthy (since muscles need a little time to rebuild as well).

I do want to improve my core and general fitness and muscle mass, as well as lose weight, but I also know I'm prone to throw myself headfirst into things and overdo them.

So... slow step forwards, I suppose one might call this week.